Post your teams here - 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think starting several rookies on the field is risky business with these bye rounds especially with the death rounds (4-6) so early on.

Adcock, Reid, Petterd arnt there to play 20 games. All they need to do is make money in there first 5-7 games and trade them out when they get injured.

Ok.

So you have Adcock, Otten, Foley, Petrie, R. Murphy, Knights & Petterd that are either returning from injury or previously haven't been able to string 22 games together over consecutive seasons. So thats 7 players that you expect to trade without even considering any rookies. 24 trades isn't going to cover it.

Also you have Reid who is no where near a lock and Bruce who's role next year is undetermined at this stage aswell.

Personally I am looking for rookies who will get a game from day one and build a durable team around them to cover byes etc.

Would be interested to hear peoples opinions on whether a team of durable mid-priced options and rookies who are likely to play offers more value than top echelon players with a mix of cheap options with durability concerns and rookies.

Eg:

Goddard, Otten, rookie

or

Gilbee, Ellis, rookie

DEF: B. Goddard, B. Gibbs, B. Deledio, P. Duffield, J. Grimes, D. Menzel, A. Otten (D. Heppell, K. Hunt, J. Toy)

MID: D. Swan, M. Boyd, J. Bartel, D. Swallow, A. Gaff, R. Conca (S. Atley, I. Smith, M. Wallis)

RUC: A. Sandilands, K. Tippett (M. Bailey, Z. Smith)

FWD: L. Franklin, C. Sylvia, N. Riewoldt, C. Rioli, R. Gray, D. Petrie, A. Krakouer (B. Matera, T. Mzungu, D. Talia)

CASH LEFT: $19,200

Feedback would be appreciated

DEF: B. Goddard, B. Gibbs, B. Deledio, P. Duffield, J. Grimes, D. Menzel, A. Otten (D. Heppell, K. Hunt, J. Toy)

MID: D. Swan, M. Boyd, J. Bartel, D. Swallow, A. Gaff, R. Conca (S. Atley, I. Smith, M. Wallis)

RUC: A. Sandilands, K. Tippett (M. Bailey, Z. Smith)

FWD: L. Franklin, C. Sylvia, N. Riewoldt, C. Rioli, R. Gray, D. Petrie, A. Krakouer (B. Matera, T. Mzungu, D. Talia)

CASH LEFT: $19,200

Feedback would be appreciated

I'm not sold on the Petrie DP link. I can't see him being much of a points accumulator at FF to justify the trade later. Smith might be good enough to cover rucks when they are missing just to get by. If you downgraded Petrie to a rookie and upgraded Rioli/Gray it may provide more depth for positional coverage.

DEF: B. Goddard, B. Rawlings, C. Enright, B. Deledio, N. Malceski, A. Otten, M. Coad (P. Puopolo, J. Toy, N. Duigan)
MID: D. Swan, M. Boyd, J. Selwood, B. Gibbs, D. Swallow, B. Jacobs (S. Atley, C. Beams, T. Mzungu)
RUC: D. Cox, D. Petrie (J. Redden, Z. Smith)
FWD: P. Chapman, A. Didak, B. Green, N. Riewoldt, M. Morton, C. Knights, I. Smith (J. Darling, C. Richardson, D. Talia)
CASH LEFT: $14,000

Ok.

So you have Adcock, Otten, Foley, Petrie, R. Murphy, Knights & Petterd that are either returning from injury or previously haven't been able to string 22 games together over consecutive seasons. So thats 7 players that you expect to trade without even considering any rookies. 24 trades isn't going to cover it.

Also you have Reid who is no where near a lock and Bruce who's role next year is undetermined at this stage aswell.

Personally I am looking for rookies who will get a game from day one and build a durable team around them to cover byes etc.

Would be interested to hear peoples opinions on whether a team of durable mid-priced options and rookies who are likely to play offers more value than top echelon players with a mix of cheap options with durability concerns and rookies.

Eg:

Goddard, Otten, rookie

or

Gilbee, Ellis, rookie

All those players will have to be watched during the preseason with injuries. But im starting to think injuries and durability are overrated for this year. They have increased our cover through more bench options, increased our trades and also increased DP as an option. But every team is going to have 7-10 players who are considered undurable simply because they offer great value due to discounts. It will be hard picking a team without these injured players as is the case every year. How many people picked Chapman, Ladson, Malceski, Kennelly, Waters, J.Hunt ect and came away very happy - quite a few. These players and others played most games all season.

Also
Adcock - played 3 seasons of 21+ games in 7 year career
Otten - played 22 in 2009 before unlucky injury only played 2 years
Foley - played 3 consecutive years off 21+ games at of 6 years
Petrie - played 7 consecutive years in a row of 21+ games

Murphy is the only expensive one - all the rest of much greater reward than risk. Also Swallow can replace Foley which ive already mentioned.

Reid is best 22 - no doubt. He offers something extra to the side. He is a future star CHB and collingwood dont really have anyone else to play that his role. Brown and Tarrant to fight out for fullback, maybe could play both.

I really think the midprice days are over, we are given so much money these days we have to buy super premiums and to win this game you have to now finish with a closer to perfect team.

As has been said finding rookies that will play is what everyone tries to do, but its my opinion that having 4 down back, 4 forward and 5 in the midfield is too much in any one position with the byes. Rookies are never locked away best 22 players and they now need to be best 20 players. There will be a few good ones, no doubt but they will be on my bench more for cover, because they will be covering most weeks anyway due to byes.

All those players will have to be watched during the preseason with injuries. But im starting to think injuries and durability are overrated for this year. They have increased our cover through more bench options, increased our trades and also increased DP as an option. But every team is going to have 7-10 players who are considered undurable simply because they offer great value due to discounts. It will be hard picking a team without these injured players as is the case every year. How many people picked Chapman, Ladson, Malceski, Kennelly, Waters, J.Hunt ect and came away very happy - quite a few. These players and others played most games all season.

Also
Adcock - played 3 seasons of 21+ games in 7 year career
Otten - played 22 in 2009 before unlucky injury only played 2 years
Foley - played 3 consecutive years off 21+ games at of 6 years
Petrie - played 7 consecutive years in a row of 21+ games

Murphy is the only expensive one - all the rest of much greater reward than risk. Also Swallow can replace Foley which ive already mentioned.

Reid is best 22 - no doubt. He offers something extra to the side. He is a future star CHB and collingwood dont really have anyone else to play that his role. Brown and Tarrant to fight out for fullback, maybe could play both.

I really think the midprice days are over, we are given so much money these days we have to buy super premiums and to win this game you have to now finish with a closer to perfect team.

As has been said finding rookies that will play is what everyone tries to do, but its my opinion that having 4 down back, 4 forward and 5 in the midfield is too much in any one position with the byes. Rookies are never locked away best 22 players and they now need to be best 20 players. There will be a few good ones, no doubt but they will be on my bench more for cover, because they will be covering most weeks anyway due to byes.

Understand where you are coming from. :thumbsu:

Below is just an example of what could happen, lets look at your fwd line in round 5 briefly. Melb Syd and WC have the bye.

Chapman, Riewoldt, Okeefe, Murphy, Tippett, Knights, Petterd. (Matera, Mzungu, Krak)

So Petterd and Okeefe miss which is no worries you would expect Matera and Mzungu to cover with Krak on the bench. Say Chapman pulls a hammy the week before and Petrie who is your 2nd ruck misses.

DP Tippett with Petrie and use Krakouer to cover Petrie in fwd line.

So your fwds would look like:

Chapman (0), Riewoldt (90), Murphy (75), Knights (75), Matera (50), Mzungu (50), Krak (50)

So a score about 390 and one doughnut. (Apologies Im pretty average with trying to explain speculative points :eek:)

Now if you used a more durable option such as Pavlich instead of Chapman and upgraded Murphy or Knights to a more durable forward (eg J. Riewoldt) it might look like this.

Pavlich (90), Riewoldt (90), J. Riewoldt (80), Knights (75), Matera (50), Mzungu (50), Krak (50) score 485.

Save potential trades on Chapman and Murphy if they don't work out and concentrate on upgrading Knights, Petterd and rookies.

Poor example I know but you should get what I am trying to explain. I think durability will be the key to covering doughnuts and having a successful team throughout the year.

true durability is nice, but you are swapping the clear cut best forward chapman averaging 115 to pav averaging 90. 25 ppg less, that is a hefty price for durability.

DT being the game it is we could get a full 22 from chapman and j riewoldt only plays 5-10 games through injury.

Understand where you are coming from. :thumbsu:

Below is just an example of what could happen, lets look at your fwd line in round 5 briefly. Melb Syd and WC have the bye.

Chapman, Riewoldt, Okeefe, Murphy, Tippett, Knights, Petterd. (Matera, Mzungu, Krak)

So Petterd and Okeefe miss which is no worries you would expect Matera and Mzungu to cover with Krak on the bench. Say Chapman pulls a hammy the week before and Petrie who is your 2nd ruck misses.

DP Tippett with Petrie and use Krakouer to cover Petrie in fwd line.

So your fwds would look like:

Chapman (0), Riewoldt (90), Murphy (75), Knights (75), Matera (50), Mzungu (50), Krak (50)

So a score about 390 and one doughnut. (Apologies Im pretty average with trying to explain speculative points :eek:)

Now if you used a more durable option such as Pavlich instead of Chapman and upgraded Murphy or Knights to a more durable forward (eg J. Riewoldt) it might look like this.

Pavlich (90), Riewoldt (90), J. Riewoldt (80), Knights (75), Matera (50), Mzungu (50), Krak (50) score 485.

Save potential trades on Chapman and Murphy if they don't work out and concentrate on upgrading Knights, Petterd and rookies.

Poor example I know but you should get what I am trying to explain. I think durability will be the key to covering doughnuts and having a successful team throughout the year.

I understand what your trying to say.

But there are 2 problems with this argument, make that 3.

One your assuming will have a player missing that round (Chapman) in one team and not in the other team. Pretty sure Pavlich played less than Chappy last year and also has missed 6 games in past 2 season and is getting old, i guess like chappy to a degree.

Also your not covering Chapman through I.Callinan or I.Smith who i have in the midfield. So there is at least another 50 points if not more like 65 based upon being able to select from 3 or 4 rookies and pick the highest scoring one.

Also there is no reason why Tippett shouldnt be involved in the scoring, albeit he might not score much more than 50 but still another 20 points might be nice. Unsure why he isnt in the forward line. Jolly and Petrie in the rucks both play in round 5, maybe your assuming they miss again, well id expect Z.Smith or Derickx, but you cant assume i have all these players magically missing.

As for what it is, my team continues to change and i got Higgins into my side for Tippett, with money i saved elsewhere by getting rid of Bruce and some higher priced rookies to based priced rookies. With a team of Goddard, Adcock, Boyd, Montagna, Wallis, Higgins, Murphy, Riewoldt all missing in round 4 it makes it a hell round, but im still confident in all these selections of improving or being needed players due to being well above the next best in line. Still working on the byes. My team changes faster than the australian spinners these days and will change alot come round 1 from now. So talking about byes now, probably isnt that important until you get closer to the actual starting lineup.

true durability is nice, but you are swapping the clear cut best forward chapman averaging 115 to pav averaging 90. 25 ppg less, that is a hefty price for durability.

DT being the game it is we could get a full 22 from chapman and j riewoldt only plays 5-10 games through injury.

I'm not sure if it is best to have the highest averaging forward and a less durable option compared to lower averaging durable options. Am happy for someone to show me otherwise. Obviously trading players at the right times is a significant factor to the overall result however as Lakey's thread shows you can win the comp without a single trade.

2010 overall points

Chappy 2388
Murphy 1400
Total: 3788

Pavlich 2086
J. Riewoldt 1841
Total: 3927

I'm not sure if it is best to have the highest averaging forward and a less durable option compared to lower averaging durable options. Am happy for someone to show me otherwise. Obviously trading players at the right times is a significant factor to the overall result however as Lakey's thread shows you can win the comp without a single trade.

2010 overall points

Chappy 2388
Murphy 1400
Total: 3788

Pavlich 2086
J. Riewoldt 1841
Total: 3927

That doesn't factor in the substitutes unless you are saying that coverage was not available at the exact times they missed. (A very selective statistic I must say)

That doesn't factor in the substitutes unless you are saying that coverage was not available at the exact times they missed. (A very selective statistic I must say)

Very selective, If I could predict what rounds players were going to get injuries I'd be driving an Aurion by now, preferably black.

I guess the point I am trying to get across is that there is less risk with selections who have good durability.

The extra trades that could be spared could be used to sideways trade to rookies at the start of the season that didn't work out, possibly on some GC rookies.

Also hoping that trades will be available for the all important rookie/cheap upgrades all the way through the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DEF: B. Goddard, B. Gibbs, B. Deledio, J. Grimes, A. Otten, D. Heppell, N. Lower (B. Smedts, B. Jacobs, J. Toy)
MID: D. Swan, M. Boyd, J. Bartel, D. Swallow, B. McLean, A. Gaff (A. Krakouer, S. Atley, S. Blease)
RUC: A. Sandilands, D. Hille (M. Seaby, S. Lycett)
FWD: L. Franklin, A. Didak, A. Goodes, N. Riewoldt, M. Pavlich, C. Dixon, I. Smith (T. Mzungu, C. Richardson, I. Callinan)
CASH LEFT: $8,200

TEAM NAME: Wolfpack
DEF: B. Goddard, B. Gibbs, C. Enright, B. Deledio, A. Otten, D. Heppell, B. Jacobs (J. Cripps, D. Talia, X. Clarke)
MID: D. Swan, L. Hayes, J. Selwood, N. Van Berlo, D. Swallow, N. Foley (A. Gaff, M. Wallis, M. Hibberd)
RUC: A. Sandilands, D. Petrie (Z. Smith, A. Cordy)
FWD: P. Chapman, L. Franklin, A. Didak, N. Riewoldt, M. Pavlich, D. Prestia, A. Krakouer (J. Darling, L. Tapscott, J. Tippett)
CASH LEFT: $31,900

surely theres a better option than Houli, i no he's shown promise but if u downgraded cox to even Fraser then combined with the left over cash you could get someone in the centre you know will be consistent. The centre really is the one place you dont want to take a gamble on.

Apart from that a good side.

TEAM NAME: 44
DEF: B. Gibbs, B. Deledio, N. Malceski, J. Russell, S. Wright, T. Hunt, D. Heppell (B. Jacobs, J. Toy, J. Batchelor)
MID: B. Goddard, K. Cornes, K. Jack, S. Sidebottom, D. Zaharakis, P. Dangerfield (D. Swallow, M. Weller, M. Wallis)
RUC: T. Goldstein, J. Roughead (D. Petrie, N. Vardy)
FWD: P. Chapman, J. Brennan, J. Riewoldt, L. Jetta, M. Jaensch, C. Hitchcock, A. Krakouer (B. Matera, L. Johnston, L. Casboult)
CASH LEFT: $97,800

BACKS: Goddard, Gibbs, Broughton, Malceski, Cornes, Otten, Heppell {Toy, Coad, Talia}

MIDS: Swan, Boyd, Murphy, Deledio, Sidebottom, Swallow {Gaff, Krakouer, Callinan}

RUCKS: Sandilands, Jolly {Campbell, Tippett}

FORWARDS: Chapman, NRiewoldt, Waite, Knights, Petrie, ISmith, Ablett {Matera, Richardson, Mzungu}

Not sure about Cornes obviously, im willing to entertain the thought at his price though. he'll most likely just end up being a place-card till i find something better. not sure about Heppell either.

Forward line is quite thin. Gaff and another mid might have to be downgraded to boost NAblett up.

TEAM NAME: 44
DEF: B. Gibbs, B. Deledio, N. Malceski, J. Russell, S. Wright, T. Hunt, D. Heppell (B. Jacobs, J. Toy, J. Batchelor)
MID: B. Goddard, K. Cornes, K. Jack, S. Sidebottom, D. Zaharakis, P. Dangerfield (D. Swallow, M. Weller, M. Wallis)
RUC: T. Goldstein, J. Roughead (D. Petrie, N. Vardy)
FWD: P. Chapman, J. Brennan, J. Riewoldt, L. Jetta, M. Jaensch, C. Hitchcock, A. Krakouer (B. Matera, L. Johnston, L. Casboult)
CASH LEFT: $97,800

Just too many speculative mid-pricers that have no discounts. I'd recommend some better quality premiums.

BACKS: Goddard, Gibbs, Broughton, Malceski, Cornes, Otten, Heppell {Toy, Coad, Talia}

MIDS: Swan, Boyd, Murphy, Deledio, Sidebottom, Swallow {Gaff, Krakouer, Callinan}

RUCKS: Sandilands, Jolly {Campbell, Tippett}

FORWARDS: Chapman, NRiewoldt, Waite, Knights, Petrie, ISmith, Ablett {Matera, Richardson, Mzungu}

Not sure about Cornes obviously, im willing to entertain the thought at his price though. he'll most likely just end up being a place-card till i find something better. not sure about Heppell either.

Forward line is quite thin. Gaff and another mid might have to be downgraded to boost NAblett up.

Leave Chadwick alone is my recommendation. Just too old now with a battle scarred body to manage.

Nablett is simply a training buddy for big brother... leave well alone.

[strike]Robert Murphy is just too injury prone and doesn't rack it up enough to warrant the risk[/strike].

Besides that, a pretty reasonable selection.

Leave Chadwick alone is my recommendation. Just too old now with a battle scarred body to manage.

Robert Murphy is just too injury prone and doesn't rack it up enough to warrant the risk.

Ive just got to say i disagree with this. (Dont think he has R.Murphy in his team, maybe M.Murhpy CARL). But anyway R.Murphy avg 89 3 years ago in 2008, back than scoring was alot lower than they are these days, so a same year of performance of 2008 these days would probably be closer to 100. IMO doesnt need to find massive amounts of footy to score that well, hes going to score at keeper value anyway, but he even gets a few goals if playing forward or solid amount of marks playing down back.

After round 12, he avg over 86 including two final games and excluding the sydney game. Just from reading a bit about him on FF it seems he got abit of attention across halfback which would be the only reason i would not look at him. Gilbee should be the first guy tagged.

What are peoples thoughts on E.Wood should take Hargraves spot down back and push up the ground when possible, maybe even some wing time in replacment of Eagleton.

Robert Murphy is just too injury prone and doesn't rack it up enough to warrant the risk.

yeah, i've been burned with the Chadwick before. at 260k though, who knows. he's basically just a low-price placecard till i find better.

my Murphy in the mids is Marc.

i dunno about Nafe yet, any older player at his price is value if he plays. the NAB cup will be pretty telling on whether he's up to it/ part of GCs plans.

yeah, i've been burned with the Chadwick before. at 260k though, who knows. he's basically just a low-price placecard till i find better.

my Murphy in the mids is Marc.

i dunno about Nafe yet, any older player at his price is value if he plays. the NAB cup will be pretty telling on whether he's up to it/ part of GCs plans.

Depending on his role in the side, Chad would still offer some value. I think his days of following the ball are past him but if he was to plank himself in the back half he could register some massive scores. Sort of like Joel Bowden did. I think he is too big of a risk though.

Here's my second attempt at my team. Feedback would be great.

TEAM NAME: zibba
DEF: B. Gibbs, B. Deledio, G. Broughton, J. Grimes, J. Gram, J. Adcock, A. Otten (D. Heppell, K. Hunt, J. Toy)
MID: D. Swan, M. Boyd, S. Sidebottom, T. Varcoe, D. Armitage, N. Foley (B. McLean, M. Wallis, T. Mzungu)
RUC: A. Sandilands, D. Cox (J. Spencer, R. Campbell)
FWD: C. Sylvia, N. Riewoldt, C. Rioli, L. Hansen, P. Veszpremi, D. Petrie, A. Krakouer (A. Hooper, S. Phillips, I. Callinan)
CASH LEFT: $2,200

Here is the team to beat in 2011, the mighty Black Sun Empire. This is how kind I am, here is an insight on how to make a team that dominates.

The main problem looks like round 19, I have 3 forwards and one midfielder with a bye. It will require some adjustments, but that could be easy, I could just upgrade Jack with my remaining cash and get someone without a bye in round 19.

Salary cap left: $103,100.

Brendon Goddard, Bryce Gibbs, Brett Deledio, Paul Duffield, Andy Otten, Ben Jacobs, Michael Coad
Sam Iles, Josh Toy, Nicholas Duigan

Dane Swan, Leigh Montagna, Marc Murphy, Kieren Jack, Andrew Krakouer, Isaac Smith
Danny Stanley, Maverick Weller, Tendai Mzungu

Dean Cox, Drew Petrie
Zac Smith, Mitchell Curnow

Paul Chapman, Lance Franklin, Adam Goodes, Nick Riewoldt, Ryan O'Keefe, Mitch Morton, Dion Prestia
Brandon Matera, Steven May, Ian Callinan

Here is the team to beat in 2011, the mighty Black Sun Empire. This is how kind I am, here is an insight on how to make a team that dominates.

The main problem looks like round 19, I have 3 forwards and one midfielder with a bye. It will require some adjustments, but that could be easy, I could just upgrade Jack with my remaining cash and get someone without a bye in round 19.

Salary cap left: $103,100.

Brendon Goddard, Bryce Gibbs, Brett Deledio, Paul Duffield, Andy Otten, Ben Jacobs, Michael Coad
Sam Iles, Josh Toy, Nicholas Duigan

Dane Swan, Leigh Montagna, Marc Murphy, Kieren Jack, Andrew Krakouer, Isaac Smith
Danny Stanley, Maverick Weller, Tendai Mzungu

Dean Cox, Drew Petrie
Zac Smith, Mitchell Curnow

Paul Chapman, Lance Franklin, Adam Goodes, Nick Riewoldt, Ryan O'Keefe, Mitch Morton, Dion Prestia
Brandon Matera, Steven May, Ian Callinan

Strong, but too many rookies and to many GC for my liking. However loading up on GC players could prove fruitful. Also Petrie coming back form injury may not warrant a starting ruck spot from the start of the season.
Will be interesting to see Mitch Morton's role next year after having some decent games in the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back