Potential Draftee Watch - Version 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

TASMANIAN midfielder Mitch Robinson says an AFL team from the Apple Isle would be a dream for all aspiring footballers from the southern state.

Robinson said it would be "every Tassie boy's dream to play for an AFL team representing the state".

"There has been a lot of support from all of the public and supporters of the Devils as well, wanting a team [in the AFL]. It'll bring a lot of youth up and it'll be a big goal, so there is good support from the Tassie public," Robinson said.

"[It would also help the players] instead of going through all of the hard yards and trying to get noticed by the mainland recruiters.

"And bringing those two together [the north and south of the state] … putting them in the same room is pretty hard … but it'd be definitely good for us."

Robinson has had an excellent carnival, having won the Hunter Harrison Medal as the best second division player in the NAB AFL under 18 championships. He said it has been a great opportunity to step up against the top-tier teams.

"After div two, I didn't really expect to win the medal to be honest, but coming into div one, I've got a lot more attention with some of the tagging opponents and there has been a lot of pressure … from people at home, expecting us to do well in div one. We haven't come through with the goods yet, so hopefully we can get a win on Wednesday," Robinson said.

Robinson, who has also played for the Devils in the VFL, said it was an advantage to play against mature, fitter and bigger bodies.

"Last year, I played locally and I got a call from Daryn Cresswell to come and play. The VFL is really good, and it gives [you] a lot of experience coming back to the 18s," Robinson said.

"I'm pretty sure next year might be a state-wide league, and that'll definitely make the competition a lot stronger. An AFL team would be really good."

NEW SOUTH Wales/Australian Capital Territory midfield dynamo Ranga Ediriwickrama says having been signed by Geelong as a scholarship player has helped his game enormously.

Ediriwickrama, who has been outstanding in this year's NAB AFL under 18 championships, said the Cats had been monitoring his progress with regularity.

"It's been really good actually. I've got to watch the best AFL players train, like Gary Ablett and just see how they go about it and take it into training back at home at Pennant Hills, where I play and I can learn from the best," Ediriwickrama said.

"They've always been in contact with me and have been asking me how I am, and they want me to get that balance right and you just get to see what you need to do to be the best AFL player, so it's been really good."

Although he missed last round with a hamstring injury, Ediriwickrama said he would be available for NSW/ACT's final match against South Australia on Wednesday at Telstra Dome.

Hailing from Sri Lankan parentage, Ediriwickrama said his parents have been converted to Australian Football, although they are still passionate cricket fans.

"They've been really supportive," Ediriwickrama said.

"At first, my Mum was a bit scared because she thought I would get injured, but it hasn't happened at all, so she's been really supportive now and along with my Dad, who has been real supportive and [he's] just wanted me to do whatever I wanted to do with my life.

"My Dad has picked it up pretty quickly, but they still love their footy."
Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

NSW/ACT RAMS midfielder Ranga Ediriwickrama is a NSW scholarship holder with Geelong. He spoke to gfc.com.au’s Ben Broad about his budding career and what the future might hold.

Tell us a little bit about your background and how you got into footy.
Both my parents are Sri Lankan, but I was born here. I got into footy through a couple of mates at school. I first played at a [primary schools] tournament called the Paul Kelly Cup.

I just played in that and after that my friends just said ‘you know, you should really try to play AFL’ and I just thought ‘what the hell, I’ll give it a shot’, and from that I just started playing.

What about the scholarship? How did Geelong first notice you?

They first saw me at an under-16 state carnival in NSW. They were monitoring my progress from there, but they officially showed interest in me at an under-18 carnival at Coffs Harbour last year. I signed a contract about May last year. It came out of the blue, as I wasn’t expecting it at all. I wasn’t thinking about a scholarship at all, I was just enjoying my footy.

What does having a scholarship with the Cats mean?

It pretty much gives you that association with the club. I’m talking mainly with [Geelong recruiting assistant] Luke Williams.

They just pretty much help with my development and my progress. But what Geelong has done with me is they’ve tried to develop me not just as a player but as a person, and make sure I’ve got the right balance in my life. They’re always ringing me and asking me how I am, how’s my family, and how school's going.

What sort of contact or involvement do you have with the club during the year?

I would like to get down a bit more, but with the Rams commitments, it’s a bit too hectic to get down too often and spend a bit more time at the club.

What about over summer – did you get down then?

I was down for a week in the December holidays and I also went down in about February for an intra-club game and got to play in that, so that was pretty good. It was a really good experience.

Who’d you run alongside?

I was playing on [David] Wojcinski for a bit … he was pretty quick! And also James Kelly. But it [my opponent] changed quite a bit. I was also on a couple of the VFL players at times.

The last month or so you’ve been busy playing the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Have the Cats still been chatting to you?

Yeah, they have been.

So, how does it work from here? Can any club have a crack at you come the end of the year, or are you Geelong’s property?

At the time of the draft, Geelong has first priority and they can choose to either draft or rookie me. I think if Geelong is interested, it has to nominate me prior to the draft.

If they don’t, I can nominate for the draft and if any other club wants to pick me up they can.

When you’re not playing for the NSW/ACT RAMS, where are you playing footy?

I play for the Pennant Hills footy club in the first grade side. I haven’t been playing there much with all my RAMS commitments, but when I have been playing, I’ve been rotating from half-forward to on the ball to the wing.

Are there any AFL players you could compare yourself to or try to base your own game on?

I really like the way Joel Selwood goes about it at Geelong, just what I’ve seen from him at training. Just his professionalism, and just that he’s such a young player and he’s such a leader … the way he trains, you can see it in the way he plays.

You’re captaining the RAMS this year … from what you’ve seen briefly from a guy like Selwood, do you try to take any of that on board when you’re leading your side out?

I've learned a couple of things just from watching him at training. You pick things up. I guess you wouldn’t notice it immediately but then you realise, ‘oh yeah’ that’s where you’ve learned some of the things you do when you’re captaining.

AFL Talent Manager Kevin Sheehan on Ediriwickrama’s national championships:
“His first two games were outstanding, averaging 25 disposals, before a hamstring injury early against Tasmania set him and his team back. Has won 28 contested possessions from nine quarters, which still ranks him second overall. It demonstrates his courage and his attack on the ball. He is a one-touch player and a great reader of play.”

The more I hear about Jordan Lisle the more I like him. 196cm and 87kg, played primarily as a CHB at the carnival but has gone forward and kicked a few. Named in the bests a couple of times and the wrap McCartney gave him sounds just like what we need - physically big enough, beats his man, but also has provided run out of defence. Best of all people have him falling to our first pick.

Posted elsewhere on the main Geelong board, figured I better move it here.

...just got back from the Dome.

Saw a couple of quarters of the Vic Country V Tassie match.

Can't really make too many comments based on what I saw (I'll save that for after watching the replays I'm taping) but me and the guy I went with liked the looks of;

Butcher (Vic C)- stick thin but took some nice marks and kicked a few. Seemed to read the play well. I think the match up was in his favour though.

Jones (Vic C) - a solid unit which may have assisted him in breaking a few tackles but found the pill and usually did something with it (at least he did in the quarters we watched). Looks ready-made to slot in but noticed his shoulder was pretty heavily stapped - not that that means much these days.

Hughes (Vic C) - got a bit of toe and seems to find it but disposal wasn't great and some decisions were a little questionable. Pretty light and small as well.

Allwight (Tas) - was good. Really liked him. Found a bit of it and didn't really waste it.

Cornelius (Tas) - did a couple of neat things up forward and kicked a couple (when we were watching) but seemed to like sitting behind his man a bit and looked a little disinterested at times. Looked more for the body rather than leading.

Can't wait to watch the replays. As I say, these were just initial thoughts from the two quarters I saw.

N.B - I hear from elsewhere that Jones started on Cornelius and was given a lesson and then moved up the ground. Be interesting to check the replay to verify this. As it stands, the thoughts above are gleaned from watching 2 quarters during an "extended" lunch break today ;)

Pivot, I watched all three and Jones was bathed by Cornelius. One contest in particular Jones had front position, so Cornelius simply stepped around him and took the mark. However thought he made up for it up the ground.

My vague thoughts, ignoring the blokes we are clearly not going to be in a position to take:

I was bitterly disappointed Ranga didn't pull up and it showed in the Rams performance. All game NSW had the look of boys against men, the SA boys generally being bigger and possessing better skills. Hartlett their obvious standout but 'The Tap', Schoenmaker, Johnston, Hall & O'Keefe were all great; Hall in particular had a blend of speed and disposal that really hurt the Rams. However the NSW boys were always hard at it and in the third showed that some of them could have what it takes. You'd think more than a few clubs looking to dish scholarships noticed Daniel Spiteri. Youngest and smallest bloke on the park, he inspired the fight back in the third with his attack and a great running goal. McMahon, Reed (already belongs to Collingwood), acting skipper Klemke and van Muir were also good.

Vic Country demolished Tasmania and it was frankly embarrassing. Country had guys all over the field playing well - but for our purposes Falcon Simpkin played well down back whilst Sam Hughes was also impressive rotating between the forward line and midfield. Will Young was pretty impressive at both ends. Roughead, Suban and Sidebottom were all names thrown up beforehand and all played well through the midfield. For Tassie Cornelius was a clear standout up forward whilst Allwright and Robinson battled on throughout in the midfield.

The final game didn't have much sting in the end. Watts had an extremely quiet game, Natanui showed flashes, whilst Rich was excellent. Metro was far to strong however; Sloane and Hurley dominated down back, Vickery couldn't be stopped forward, and the combination of Zaharakis and Banner in the middle crushed any hope WA had. Lisle didn't see a lot of it, both his men having extremely quiet afternoons. Had a nice passage of play though where we came running off half back, recieved the handball and ran through the middle before hitting a lead forward on the chest about 35 out. Hope we get him.

I'll post my thoughts on the W.A boys

4 Stephen HILL 01-May-90 182 72 West Perth Football Club

- Likely type. Good frame for utility
- Needs to bulk up, disposal affected by frame, ie breaking tackles
- Good attack on the ball
- Nice speed
- Penetrating kick on the left

5 Matthew DEBOER 10-Mar-90 187 85 Claremont Football Club

- Fairly disappointing.
- Has had a more than reasonable carnival but a tad dissapointing
- his disposal was reasonably assured, especially by hand.
- Certainly knows where to go the find the footy but actually taking it from a contested situation is another matter
- A good carnival from a workhorse.

7 Neville JETTA 12-Feb-90 178 75 Swan Districts

- Worked hard all day
- Perhaps too small to think about playing midfield next year.
- Good disposal, ferocious tackler and certainly creative in close
- One of W.A’s better performed midfielders
- Very quick first 5 steps and runs well at top speed.'Betts like'

10 Daniel RICH 07-Jun-90 183 83 Subiaco Football Club

- 17 Possessions in the first half.
- It appeared as if both sides instructed their players no to tag in the first half.
- When the tag was placed on him in the second half he accepted it yet again
- It is a worrying trend, tends to remain stationery around a stoppage.
- For a kid without explosive pace he can’t afford to do that
- Having said that his best performance in the carnival and left foot is still damaging
- Still not sure if he should be considered ‘Elite’

17 Michael WALTERS 07-Jan-91 177 75 Swan Districts Football Club- Best on Ground for W.A along with Clancee Pearce
- Worked well around the stoppages
- Very creative
- Nice acceleration and good closing speed
- Very High Footy IQ, exceptional positioning
- Hits most of his targets

23 Clancee PEARCE 23-Oct-90 183 85 Swan Districts

- Probably the BOG for W.A along with Walters from a HBF
- Reads the play very well, chopped off a few forays forward simply by reading the ball off the boot before his man
- Moves well in traffic, good disposal
- Very good closing speed
- Well built one preseason would be enough to get him “AFL Ready”
- Hits his targets well by foot, low ball drop ensures safety with kicks but slows his disposal time, may have to be wary of this at the next level.

30 Christopher YARRAN 19-Dec-90 180 84 Swan Districts Football Club

- Silk. That’s the first word that comes to mind.
- Fantastic skills at ground level, by hand and by foot.
- Used his body well to out position direct opponents. If he didn’t take the mark, his pace ensured he was gone when he picked the ball up.
- Out marked Mckernan one on one simply by reading the flight of the ball better and using his body to good effect.
- Perhaps needs to do more further up the ground. When cast in the middle tended to lean forward of the play searching for kicks, similar to Rich in that aspect.
- Definitely AFL Ready and a fairly safe bet for a Forward Pocket HFF who could develop into a midfielder

Enjoy

Went along to watch the first half of Vic Metro v WA. Was a little disappointed with the standard of todays game. The main difference that I noticed was the tackling of the Vic Metro players was far superior to their opposition. Some of the more highly touted picks showed flashes of talent but still have a long way to go. Rich to me was the most impressive, "ready to go", midfielder by a long stretch. Natanui is impressive physically, I just reckon he may be a player who always has potential if that makes sense.

Was hoping to see how Lisle performed and watch him closely. But in the half that I was there he really had limited opportunties to showcase his talents. Hurley however looked good but the opposition may have been fairly weak in his case. A player though.

One who stood out for me was Sam Blease. Hard running, athletic wingman who runs both ways. I reckon he would have made a few clubs take notes of him.

Of the other Vic Metro players, Vickery looked ok in patches as did McKernan as tall options. Another that I noted was Luke Stanton. Haven't heard anything written about him, but had a mature body, was a good mover and had reasonable skills.

For WA, Walters looked ok in patches. Deboer was quiet.

Guys, I'll post this here rather than the main board as I suspect you blokes might be more on my wavelength.

This year's draft looks a bit deeper than people were expecting and I think Geelong (and the other top 4 sides) will still be able to land a quality player in the late teens. I suspect the talent will run down to about 30. :thumbsu:

I have heard some opposition supporters state they would give up a late teen/early 20s pick for Prismall. Based on what I have seen and read I think Geelong should take a punt and trade for that. A pick 16/17 and a pick 22/23 could land Geelong a couple of very likely types to go with Ediriwickrama (who may be on the senoir list or may be a rookie but looks set to be at Geelong next year in some capacity).

I haven't seen Lisle yet but he sounds like the kind of guy I was thinking of when I stated that GFC needs another key position backman in this year's draft.

I know I have a hard-on for Broadbent but I didn't see anything yesterday that changed my mind about him. He doesn't get it as often as Harlett but his decision making was great and he is very clean. Hits his targets (one bit of play in the first half stood out when he was under pressure on half back and still put it 40 metres downfield hitting his team-mate), seems to know when to run off and when to stay.

Latching onto Lisle (key back) and Broadbent (running half back who can rotate through the midfield) along with Ediriwickrama would be a massive win in my opinion.

I like Prismall but he is, in my opinion, somewhat over-rated by both us supporters and opposition supporters (who may be buying into the Prismall hype) so maybe Geelong should take a risk, cash in the chips and try and land a couple of 'goodies' in this draft. That isn't to say that Prismall couldn't come back and hurt Geelong - he could very well - but I can't see him breaking into the side without the aid of injury to key midfielders and at the moment the jungle drums are saying his trade value is high (perhaps too high??)

As a side note - Schoenmakers, O'Keefe, Shannon, Redden, Hall and Johnston all stood out for SA for mine but I agree, the opposition probably wasn't quite up to scratch. I did like the look of Klemke for New South Wales (this is all based on the first half that I watched last night).

Pivot, I watched all three and Jones was bathed by Cornelius. One contest in particular Jones had front position, so Cornelius simply stepped around him and took the mark. However thought he made up for it up the ground.

Didn't quote all of it but :thumbsu: posting.

Jones starting on the last line seems an odd one...I never would have picked him for full back duties. Has he played there in the TAC Cup??

Up the ground I thought he did alright but he doesn't look the right match-up type for a guy like Cornelius.

Interesting...

I've only heard about him as a defender....and it was a weird passage of play. When Cornelius took the mark, Jones looked like he wanted to cry - don't think he could believe he'd got around him.

And nice analysis on the last page mate - I pretty much agree, particularly if Prismall is coming out of contract. Why let him rot in the ressies when we could be developing younger talent to take over from the old brigade?

Just putting the finishing touches on the first two sets of profiles.

First up will be Tasmania and New South Wales/ACT

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tasmania

Tom Salter - 77kg - 184cm - 03.03.1990
Hard running ferocious midfielder. He attacks the ball and the man very well. He is an accumulator of possession, the type of guy when you look at the stats sheet and are in shock he has as many as he does. I love his long penetrating kicks and his willingness to break the lines.

Skills
* Kicking
*Running
*Attack on the man

Brentyn Milverton - 77kg - 180cm - 24.06.1990
An interesting one, that probably wont get drafted. A medium – Small sized defender who is as tough as nails. He is hard at the man and also at the ball and never takes a backwards step. The only criticism I have of him is that he probably gets a little bit lost when things do n’t go his way.

Skills
* Tougness
*Attack on the man
*Link up role

Mitch Robinson-77kg - 188cm - 07.06.1989
Prolific ball winner who player both inside and outside. Love his height, a perfect size for a tallish midfielder. The best thing about him is that he is reliable. He very rarely plays a bad game. Always is up there and his disposal is pretty good. His ability to get the ball himself or sit out the back of the backs is also a bonus.

Skills
* Disposal
* Consistency
*Running

Aaron Cornelius - 84kg - 192cm - 29.05.1990
Tassy had a one man forward line and it was him. Tallish, without being really tall. He has good speed off the lead and a nice strong mark. I wouldn’t say contested marking is a strength, but you will rarely see him drop one at full belt. He leads to the right places as well, which is vital.

Skills
* Speed
*Determination
*Kicking at goal

Joseph Groenewegen - 77kg - 196cm - 25.10.1991
Another smokey that i don’t think is eligible for this years draft. At 196cm he is the perfect height for a developing ruckman. With the light frame he still managed to carry himself well in the ruck. Overall his ruckwork was great. Within the pace of 10mins on Saturday he had hit 3 to advantage against a more mature ruckman.

Skills
* Ruckwork
*Athleticism

NSW/ACT

Daniel Spiteri - 71kg - 173cm - 08.04.1991
The little helmet boy has really impressed me. The helmet puts recruiters off but he overall is a pretty good package. Very short, but is nice as solid. I like his ability to lead up the ground and run back with the ball. Is a nice set shot and has an engine.

Skills
*Endurance
*Forward smarts
*Set shots

Kade Klemke -78kg - 180cm - 15.07.1990
Kade is an interesting one. He is a magnet that is for sure. I think at times his disposal lets him down a bit. A nice size and build for a player. Has the ability to sit off half back or run through the midfield which is a bonus. Disposal lets him down a bit. He tends to just bomb away rather than look for a target. Also lacks an opposite foot at times.

Skills
* Veristile
*Ball getting

Jeremy Kirkwood - 75kg - 184cm - 07.05.1991
Very similar to Klemke, except better. A little bit taller which helps and also younger. Won’t be taken this year, but next year he will really come of age.

Skills
*See Klemke

Jordan Foster - 85kg - 190cm - 05.04.1990
Was very very solid down back all carnival. He is very athletic for his height and can run a bit. Probably needs to be taught more on how to position himself when the ball was coming down. At 190 i think we will see him get to about 194cm which will make him a tall defender. His determination is also a stand out. Never gives up on a contest and is always there and abouts.

Skills
*Determination
*Athletiic
*Endurance

Mitchell Frial - 78kg - 198cm - 19.08.1989
This kid REALLY REALLY impressed me. Easily their best tall option in the team. 198 at 18 years old is the perfect, and will probably develop into a 200cm type person. Wasn’t that great in the ruck but when he went back was impressive. Typical rugby type player who is tall and athletic. I would love to see this kid drafted. Think he has a lot to offer.

Skills
* Running
*Marking
*Durability

Max Wilson - 105kg - 197cm - 07.03.1990
Absolutely brutal this kid. Had massive wraps on him last year, and I still do. Has a very controlled agression on both the player and the man. Disposal seems to let him down a bit, and is pretty heavy for a bloke his size. Wouldn’t call him fat though. Likes to use his body which is a good sign. Ruckwork is pretty good and seemed to handle the job of drifting back very well.

Skills
*Size
*Attack on the ball and man
*Play an extra man down back

South Australia

Hamish Hartlett - 74kg - 182cm - 14.08.1990
Absolute star. Love the way he goes about it. Really quick on his feet and is evasive. Good pace and is a big long booming kick. There is no wonder why the wraps are so high on him. Like it how he links up well from defense. Can run forward and kick goals from outside 50. Is a complete package. Easily in the top 10.

Skills
* Running
* Disposal
* Evasive

Ben Speight - 71kg - 177cm - 02.05.1990
A bit smaller then some but really really powerful through the hips. He creates a lot of running going forward and has the disposal to back it up. Many times throughout the games ive seen him in, he has been able to shake of tackles. Sometimes he just needs to lower his eyes a little.

Skills
* Running
* Endurance
* Disposal

Chris Hall - 65kg - 179cm - 25.06.1990
Really really light on, but you wouldn’t notice it. Didn’t have big wraps for him originally but stood out in the carnival. Love his ability to dash and run. He is no slouch, and isn’t afraid to take players on. This is what i really like. A player who has the ability to pack themselves at this age is going to be a good player. Is a good tackler to, a real under the radar player this one.

Skills
* Tackling
* Speed
* Faith in his ability

Matthew Broadbent - 81kg - 189cm - 01.08.1990
Extremely agile, a real silky mover. Always in and around the packs, but i would see him as an outside player. Has a nice height about him which could see him play a Darren Milburn type role at an AFL club. He is able to take a hit as well. The only downside to his game is that he is between heights. Not quick enough to play on the smalls and not tall enough to play effectively on the talls. He still has a lot of growing to do.

Skills
* Run and carry
* Agility
* A real play setter off Half back.

Scott Blessing - 80kg - 184cm - 11.02.1990
Smaller version of Broadbent. Plays the exact same role, with a touch more outsideness. He is very good defensively and will always follow up. A couple times he has had the chance to be front and center but decided to go up which was a bit disappointing.

Skills
* See Broadbent

Paul Cahill - 80kg - 192cm - 19.08.1990
Different type of key forward. He uses his explosive pace to get away from his man. Generally don’t find that in a guy that is 192cm. Nice mark and a beautiful set shot for goal. This guy will be there an abouts come draft time. Would love to see him play more out of CHF, tends to spend more time between goal and 30m out.

Skills
* Speed
* Marking
* Set Shot

Ryan Schoenmakers - 85kg - 189cm - 08.11.1990
Like this bloke alot, and comes a cross as a genuine leadup half forward. Strong hands for a bloke between sizes and a nice penetrating kick. Gets a lot of depth into it and has no problems kicking from 40+ out. Made the most of playing second fiddle to Johnstone. He may be found out as being a bit short at AFL level, but if he can improve his running he could easily provide that half forward lead up role.

Skills
* Kicking
* Marking
* Forward awareness

Lewis Johnstone - 87kg - 192cm - 03.03.1991
I dont want to give away my top 30, but I will give away this guy as my number 1. Have kept a keen eye over him this year and has turned out a gem. He has natural ability, something that a lot of clubs would love. Mix that with a great running ability and agility and you have the perfect player. At 192 he can play tall, which is great. Mix that with his ability to take pack marks and a good leap. Don’t worry when the ball is at ground level, because he will star there as well. He is just so natural in everything he does. A person that has flair, but also does the team things. A real person you could market your club around. Can also go back as well, which adds another string to his bow.

Skills
* Awareness
* Forward line Prowess
* Marking
* Match Winning ability

Jarrad Redden - 88kg - 202cm - 27.12.1990
A nice tap ruckman who really sets the play up from the middle. He is ok around the ground, but he will need to work on that. If he is drafted, it will be for his rucking ability. Has a nice leap and good timing. I’m not sure if it was the quality of players he had under him, or him but he hit a lot of the ball to advantage.

Skills
* Good verticle leap
* Timing
* Tapwork

Luke Tapscott - 82kg - 178cm - 28.06.1991
To young to be drafted, but is gearing himself up to be a top 20 pick next year. Nice size, nice natural football ability. I like how strong he is through the body. Think Chapman in that regard. Is a genuine goal kicker, that wins his own ball. I think he needs to work a little more defensively however. Seems at times to just watch what is happening around him.

Skills
* Strength
* Goal Sense
* Goal kicking ability

Jack Redden - 74kg - 185cm - 09.12.1990
Don’t ask me what it is about this guy, but I have a huntch. Think that he was probably starved a bit of game time, but has all the natural markings of a footballer in the making. He is a good mark, and has a nice kick on him. Has very good hands, and is a bloke that will get the ball out of a contested situation quite well.

Skills
* Handpassing
* Playmaking
* Marking.

Victoria Metro

Jack Watts - 85kg - 194cm - 26.03.1991
A lot of people’s favorites around the traps, and i can see exactly why that is the case. He is a beautiful timer of a lead and is a one touch player. Can take contested marks, doesn’t have that flair that Johnstone has. He does the 1%er’s well and will lead a few recruiters lists, that is for sure.

Skills
* Marking
* Set shots
* 1%er’s

Luke Stanton - 83kg - 191cm - 08.01.1990
Ready made tall midfielder. A lot of people may not have heard about him, but has been playing some great footy this year. His body is set to go and at his height you can’t look past him. Skills wise he is pretty good. His kicking can let him down at times. Isn’t the fastest bloke, but I would not be calling him a slouch. Will be around for a later pick and will be a solid footballer.

Skills
* Height for a midfielder
* Ball winning ability
* Ability to find space

Tom Lynch - 84kg - 191cm - 15.09.1990
Sneaky player who players smaller than his height suggests. A true forward flanker who is just as good above his body as he is below it. Sometimes doesn’t do the team thing and will blaze away towards goal. The thing that stands out for him is that he wins the ball alot at ground level, however if he is asked to be at the front of a pack or is after the loose ball he will do it without any problems. Very flexible. I like.

Skills
* Ability to play tall and small
* Aware of what is happening around him
* Goal sense

Shaun McKernan - 95kg - 196cm - 15.11.1990
O yes. This kid will be a star. A genuine Ruckman that can go forward and kick goals. Nice ruck skills at the stoppages. Likes to throw his body around as well which is a bonus. Love the passion he shows when he is out there. Looks very very dangerous when he drifts forward. This is because he is strong overhead and is a very good shot at goal. Has a great kicking action and kicks through it.

Skills
* Tap Work
* Contested Marking
* Set shots

Michael Hurley - 92kg - 192cm - 01.06.1990
You want a tall defender? Look no further than this bloke. Is an absolute gun and is ready made for senior football. Does the job nullifiing the opposition back, then will hurt you with his run up the ground. Disposal is good most of the time, and he reads the play really well. The good thing about Michael is that he has both aspects of his game running at the same time. He will kill you with his run, however when the ball comes into the forward line quick he will always be there with a spoil.

Skills
* Offensive
* Defense spoils
* Reading of the play

David Zaharakis - 73kg - 180cm - 21.02.1990
Genuine midfielder who will damage you off half forward. Really elusive and tends to pop up when you least expect him to. Really good disposal, and is probably a little more outside than in. Is deceptive in his speed. One that if you let run around for to long he will rip you to shreds.

Skills
* Game breaker
* Elusive
* Good disposal

Sam Blease- 72kg - 183cm - 19.02.1991
I would be inclined to take his bloke before Broadbent and Blessing. Just seems a more rounded package. He has a super tackle on him and will not give up until the bloke is driven into the gorund. Kicking and overall disposal is excellent. Is a sppedy little bugger and generates a lot of run and movement. He is a strong mark both contested and uncontested and will always be good for a spoil from behind.

Skills
* Disposal
* Speed
* Tackling

Jordan Lisle - 87kg - 196cm - 12.07.1990
Very strong defender who will more than likely slip into the late first round category. Many will argue that he was the second best defender of the tournament, and I would not argue that they were wrong. He seems to be like Hurley, except tends to stay on his man and is more of a true defender. Has a nice spoil and reads the ball well coming into 50.

Skills
* Reading of the play
* Spoils
* Body position.

Tyrone Vickery- 86kg - 200cm - 31.05.1990
Very gifted tall forward at 200cm. This is the type of guy you want patrolling down there. Nice lead and a very very strong mark. If he can get to the 200cm 100kg mark he will be a true power forward. At his size it is hard to get a hand in an spoil.

Skills
* Marking
* Size
* Goal Kicking

Terrific synopsis of each player. Now looking forward to your profiles of the Vic Country and WA kids. When are you going to list your top 30? How would you have the cats draft if you were Stephen Wells?

For me I still like Lisle as a replacement for one of our defenders down the track. I am looking forward to seeing his results at draft camp before giving him my final stamp of approval.

Am interested with your opinion on Blease who I thought had a great game (or first half anyway) on Wednesday.

It certainly is a deep draft. I reckon it is also very even. Good players will be available down to 30 or 35 even. I don't reckon it has the top end quality of 2001 but no draft has really come close to that one anyway...

Would Johnstone make it to our pick?

If he makes it to our pick i will have a coronary because all the blood will be in my dick. I have no doubts he will take the league by storm.

Terrific synopsis of each player. Now looking forward to your profiles of the Vic Country and WA kids. When are you going to list your top 30? How would you have the cats draft if you were Stephen Wells?

For me I still like Lisle as a replacement for one of our defenders down the track. I am looking forward to seeing his results at draft camp before giving him my final stamp of approval.

Am interested with your opinion on Blease who I thought had a great game (or first half anyway) on Wednesday.

It certainly is a deep draft. I reckon it is also very even. Good players will be available down to 30 or 35 even. I don't reckon it has the top end quality of 2001 but no draft has really come close to that one anyway...

Thanks mate. The Other players should either be up tonight or early tomo. I got about 24 players to do between the two teams.

Top 30 will be done much closer to the draft. Around draft camp time. If you want i can do one from what I have seen so far. Just to get a gauge where i rate these players?

If i was wellsy i would take best available with our first pick. Given the amount of talented players in this draft one should be able to slip passed to ours. ATM its hard to guess who will be around at our pick. Maybe someone like McKernan, DeBoer, Hill might be around. Obviously i would love Johnstone to be there. Second rounder is where we can pick up a back. I like the look of Jordan Jones from the falcons. Think he should be around and abouts there. Obviously would prefer a Hurley, Lisle etc, but i would be shocked if there at our pick (30 odd).

Last pick I would love to get somone like Sam Hughes. The bloke is going to be a gun as well. A bit light on though, but i think he should be around later on in the draft.

I think he has probably jumped Broadbent and Blessing. Although all 3 are fantastic players. I just think he is more alrounded compared to the other two. His disposal seems a lot crisper and his decision making is also very good. I also see him play more of a "defensive" role so to speak. The others seems more like backmen who link up the play. I think Blease can play both roles. Which is good. TBH that is what seperates them. A couple of times i have seen broadbent be caught out down back. He is also in that type of height where he is in between positions. Couldn't handle a tall forward and probably a couple notches to small for a quick small.

Its a bloody good spread of talent. A lot of key position players, especially up forward. i think Tyrone Vickery could be one to slip, but he will be a monster forward. With his athletic ability at 200cm is phenominal. If he can get up and around the 100kg mark he will be VERY hard to stop.

Its a bloody good spread of talent. A lot of key position players, especially up forward. i think Tyrone Vickery could be one to slip, but he will be a monster forward. With his athletic ability at 200cm is phenominal. If he can get up and around the 100kg mark he will be VERY hard to stop.

Agree re Vickery. Has certainly gone up the rankings this week. Certainly worth considering.

Don't reckon DeBoer would be worthy of a first round pick. Stephen Hill reminds me a fair bit of Jared Brennan - talented, but loose. I reckon our first pick should sure up a tall as there are some great ones here - Vickery, Lisle, Johnston or Trengrove may all be around come our pick and have great futures in my opinion. McKernan may go a little earlier than 16 (assuming we have 16 of course!!). With Ranga coming in we can use our latter pick/s for midfielders.

By the way I would be interested to see your preliminary top 30. I reckon there will be a lot of variation this year in the various mock drafts that people do.

I suppose the question is will we go for a tall again after so many last year?
Then again we do have RE locked in don't we?

I have to say I was impressed with Vickery as a flex Forward/Ruck type.
I liked the run from Mitch Robinson for a mid is tall , perhaps a Mackie role of the backline would suit him.

Hurley just looks a solid backman and with Egan suspect he could be good solid pick.

Banner looks to be another kid who would fit with our bunch of mids. Hartlett has the skills to be an early pick but with so many talls he may slip but probably top10

but as you have said Lewis Johnston looks to be very talented player. I liked his eyes , very confident in his own ability. He is a future match winner and would like to see him beside SJ. If we got him it would be a steel because he would be one of very few kids with the talent to force his way into our side.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: Rizzo, top write up.

I notice that Tapscott can't enter the draft but can Johnston??

Agree with everyone, he was a real eye-catcher on Wed. Good hands, good kick and good when it hit the ground.

I still think that we need a KP backman with Harley, Milburn and Scarlett all getting on and there has to be some uncertainity on Egan ATM.

Getting a tall KP and grooming him would be a good idea.

Outside of that, probably next best will be the policy but I think a running back would be an idea.

After having another look I also liked the look of Ziebell and Hooper from Vic Country but Hooper's size worried me as a backman. I have a view that the little guys have to have a few tricks to get picked up. While I liked what I saw with Hooper I don't know if he has a bag to bring with him.

There is plenty to chose from though. The question is - does Geelong try to trade it's way into a second top 25 pick?

IMO - I think they should.

We definitely need another tall defender. Our ideal structure last year was three tall defenders (Scarlett, Egan, Harley) and two utilities (Milburn and Mackie) who could play tall. Taylor is shaping as a replacement for Milburn or Harley, McKenna could be anything but has a long way to go. IMO that leaves us needing at least one extra tall on the list soon, and given this is supposed to be a good draft for key position prospects I think we'd be mad not to go for it.

After that - best available. I agree that we should look at trading for additional picks.

We definitely need another tall defender. Our ideal structure last year was three tall defenders (Scarlett, Egan, Harley) and two utilities (Milburn and Mackie) who could play tall. Taylor is shaping as a replacement for Milburn or Harley, McKenna could be anything but has a long way to go. IMO that leaves us needing at least one extra tall on the list soon, and given this is supposed to be a good draft for key position prospects I think we'd be mad not to go for it.

After that - best available. I agree that we should look at trading for additional picks.

Someone in the shape of a Nathan Brown (Collingwood) do you think?
i.e Big, Strong Bodied, Hard at it, Uncomprimising etc.

ps. I'm liking the sound of this Lewis Johnston

Remove this Banner Ad

Potential Draftee Watch - Version 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Back