Potential Gold Coast Team

Remove this Banner Ad

saintgary

Team Captain
Dec 17, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I keep hearing about how great a team the Gold Goast are going to get, so I decided to try and replicate the team using 2005 draft. (Choose it because most players are already proven, while not to early where Picks were still a guess)
I also used the 2004 draft and picked all the 17 year olds from their to replicate GC's 17 year olds.

So here it is...

2005 AFL Draft (Did not include the Brenan trade, as the compensation picks etc. were too difficult to include)
Pick 1: M. Murphy
2: D. Thomas
3: X. Ellis
5: S. Pendlebury
7: P. Ryder
9: M. Clark
11: S. Higgins
13: S. Hurn
15: T. Varcoe
26: D. Addison
43: D. Swallow
60: C. Bartram

Under 17 Picks (2004) (just the first 12 17 year olds in the draft)
B. Deledio
J. Roughead
L. Franklin
M. Bate
A. Monfries
L. Dunn
C. Wood
R. Willits
J. Wells
L. McGuane
D. McCormack
M. Newton

2005 rookies: (was unable to find 2004 rookies)
R. Jackson
A. Toovey
L. McEntee
L. Mckinnon
A. Graham

Uncontracted Players: (did not include Brenan)
G. Ablett
M. Rischtelli
N. Krakouer
J. Fraser
N. Bock
C. Brown
J. Harbrow

B: Toovey McGuane Brown
HB: Hurn Bock Harbrow
C: Murphy Swallow Deledio
HF: Thomas Franklin Higgins
F: Monfries Roughead Bate
FOLL: Ryder Ablett Pendlebury
Inter: Clark Rischtelli Varcoe Sub: Ellis
EMG: Fraser Krakouer Dunn
Addison Bartram Wood Graham

(Note: Was unable to include zone picks, so obviously the GC have even more talent as they have picked up some beauties in Smith, May, Wilkinson, Patrick etc.)

Now the picks might not even go that way as GC may go on needs rather than best available, but its close enough.
Looks like most people's views were right and they are going to become a dominant side. :eek:

No secret in what you've concluded. But it will all be about timing, as so many established AFL clubs have demonstrated. GC has to win a premiership within 5 years, which is about how long GAJ will be at his prime.

Gold Coast don't have pick 15 -- it was traded to Geelong so Varcoe should be omitted from this team.

Regardless, it's quite a mighty collection of talent.

Looks like an All-Australian side. Scary.

There has been little talk about team GWS being dominant in the next few years. Won't they be constructing a side with just as much potential as the GC?

Absolutely.

We might just have to sit back for a few years and watch these 2 teams go at it like a couple of All-star sides.

How long is it before the GC's salary cap comes back to the group and we're all on the same page?

- This analysis proves why people who think the suns wont win a game this year either don't watch footy or are blinded by hate. They've already got the tools to win 5+ games, in five years time they'll be flag contenders.

- This is a really good analysis, well done. But it neglects to tell the reader that the science of drafting is slowly getting better, so the likelyhood of getting say a good player with pick 10 is probably higher than ever. Ergo, the likelyhood of this class having as much flops as say the 2004 draft is low.

- And another thing, even if there are some flops (lets allow for a few) that can be covered and plus, the pies have shown in Brown that if you put a dud in a good team, he can be improved, primarily because he isn't relied upon to do as much, he's in a winning team boosting his confidence, and he's getting help in the form of screens/shepards/great delivery/weak tags if any that he wasn't getting as much at north. Brown hasn't suddenly become better, he's just benefiting from being surrounded by the likes of Pendles and Swan.

- bigpolarbear, I see your scary line and raise you this:

saintgary said:

Holy crap! All six of those players would IMO be welcome in most if not all sides in the competition.

No secret in what you've concluded. But it will all be about timing, as so many established AFL clubs have demonstrated. GC has to win a premiership within 5 years, which is about how long GAJ will be at his prime.

To be honest, I don't think they even need Ablett. You got to remember once this core of 2009/2010 have 6 years together, they are also going to have another 6 1st round draft picks. Plus the zone picks.(Smith, May, Patrick, Dixon, Wilkinson are all Top 30 picks as well) This side will be incredible.

They just have to make sure they have the right coach. If they can get a top coach the whole way through this era for them, they will be a dynasty. Only Western Sydney will be able to stop them.

Thank god the Saints will most likely be on the bottom while this is happening.

comes down to the strength of the draft, and from all reports GC got a good year and GWS didn't.

Perform the same exercise from the 2002 or 2003 drafts and you would probably get a pretty average side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well then, lets have a look at the 2003 draft, and mids only.

Pick 1: A Cooney
2: A Walker
3: C Sylvia
5: B McLean
7: K Tenace
9: D Trotter
11: B Waters
13: B Stanton
26: D McConnell
43: B Peake
60: J Rowe

I don't know the u-18 yos and can't be stuffed looking for them.

Uncontracted Players: (did not include Brenan)
G. Ablett
M. Rischtelli
N. Krakouer
J. Fraser
N. Bock
C. Brown
J. Harbrow

Okay then, so that's a midfield of Ablett, Cooney, Walker, Sylvia, Rischtelli, Brennan and Stanton. Not bad.

2002:

Ablett, Rischtelli, Goddard, Wells, Brennan (so... someone else then?) J McVeigh, Mackie, McIntosh, Winderlich, Rivers.

Still, a good bunch of kids, a bunch of kids almost to definitely equivalent in picks to most "promising" sides out there like the dees, tigers and roos. Lets not forget the 17 yos, rookie picks and the like. And that's assuming the 2011 draft will be as bad as the worst draft in what, the last 15 years?

It does look good for the Gold Coast. The one query that I have relates to leadership and whether all of this young talent will be developed as well as they would be at an established club. A lot of teenagers are being thrown together in a party town, without a pre-existing club culture to set work ethic norms. I personally think that the one mistake they have made is in not targetting a few experienced leaders. The majority of the players they have with AFL experience do not come across as leaders. They also don't seem to have picked up many mature age recruits. I think that one of their biggest jobs over the next couple of years is in creating a culture that makes success likely. It's going to be interesting to see how they develop as a club.

It does look good for the Gold Coast. The one query that I have relates to leadership and whether all of this young talent will be developed as well as they would be at an established club. A lot of teenagers are being thrown together in a party town, without a pre-existing club culture to set work ethic norms. I personally think that the one mistake they have made is in not targetting a few experienced leaders. The majority of the players they have with AFL experience do not come across as leaders. They also don't seem to have picked up many mature age recruits. I think that one of their biggest jobs over the next couple of years is in creating a culture that makes success likely. It's going to be interesting to see how they develop as a club.

With the quality of kids Gold Coast will develop together over the next 3 or 4 yrs it is a given they will push for multiple flags within 10 yrs. Having access to 12 17 yr olds last year, of which 5 would have been certain top 10 picks this year (Toy, Weller, McKenzie etc.) plus the zone concessions and 8 picks in the 1st 15 in 2010.
Having so many talented youngsters competing for spots in a young team destined for big things can only create an environment that will be the envy of every other club in the league.
Gold Coast landed the biggest fish in the game in G. Ablett. GWS are facing a much more difficult task than the Suns as there location isn't anywhere near as attractive in terms of lifestyle and opportunities.

With the quality of kids Gold Coast will develop together over the next 3 or 4 yrs it is a given they will push for multiple flags within 10 yrs. Having access to 12 17 yr olds last year, of which 5 would have been certain top 10 picks this year (Toy, Weller, McKenzie etc.) plus the zone concessions and 8 picks in the 1st 15 in 2010.
Having so many talented youngsters competing for spots in a young team destined for big things can only create an environment that will be the envy of every other club in the league.
Gold Coast landed the biggest fish in the game in G. Ablett. GWS are facing a much more difficult task than the Suns as there location isn't anywhere near as attractive in terms of lifestyle and opportunities.

You don't think that there is the potential for it to go a bit 'Lord of the Flies.'

You don't think that there is the potential for it to go a bit 'Lord of the Flies.'

I'm just saying that the quality of young draftees all coming together and playing plenty of footy right from the word go can't possibly go wrong. Of course a couple of the kids will probably lose their way thats human nature, but with the extent of research that goes into drafting these days its pretty much a sure bet that the Suns will build a successful club sooner rather than later through sheer weight of numbers.

B: Toovey McGuane Brown
HB: Hurn Bock Harbrow
F: Monfries Roughead Bate
FOLL: Ryder Ablett Pendlebury
Inter: Clark Rischtelli Varcoe Sub: Ellis
EMG: Fraser Krakouer Dunn
Addison Bartram Wood Graham

Where is Karmichael Hunt ????

I just gave them the wooden spoon for 2011 and the GWS club the same award for winning it in 2012 .( in bay 13 )

One aspect all teams will be looking at and that is ALL Gold Coast Players wont want to sit on low $$$$$ so the other clubs will raid them and rightly so .tit for tat .
I look forward to the outcry from them and GWS " you cant take our players " .

too bad , we will , rules are rules .

Remove this Banner Ad

Potential Gold Coast Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back