Potential VFL draftees?

Remove this Banner Ad

footyman

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thought it would be good to get some ideas of VFL players who could be drafted or rookied at the end of the year.

For a start, I’ll go:

Bendigo – Kain Robins
Box Hill – Andrew Jansen, Sam Rudolph
Coburg – Travis Jorgensen, Rob Young
Frankston – Mathew Burns, Byron Murphy
Geelong – Rowan Bonson, Matthew Torney
Northern Bullants – Ross Young
Port Melbourne – Adrian Bonnadio
Springvale – Michael Hobbs
Williamstown – Heath Lawry
Werribee – Michael Sleeman, Edward Darcy, Wayde Twomey

I think I’ve seen just about every Werribee game this season, there are others like Salim Hassan and Jake Furfaro who are playing well and it’ll be interesting to see if anyone gives them a go - both have had chances before. And then there is James Podsiadly – will Sydney be keen again at the end of this year?

Any others? Any I listed you don’t agree with?

Kain Robins no. The gap between his good and poor games is too big to be considered for AFL level.

Wouldn't mind seeing Connaughton on the rookie list though.

footyman said:
Thought it would be good to get some ideas of VFL players who could be drafted or rookied at the end of the year.

For a start, I’ll go:

Bendigo – Kain Robins
Box Hill – Andrew Jansen, Sam Rudolph
Coburg – Travis Jorgensen, Rob Young
Frankston – Mathew Burns, Byron Murphy
Geelong – Rowan Bonson, Matthew Torney
Northern Bullants – Ross Young
Port Melbourne – Adrian Bonnadio
Springvale – Michael Hobbs
Williamstown – Heath Lawry
Werribee – Michael Sleeman, Edward Darcy, Wayde Twomey

I think I’ve seen just about every Werribee game this season, there are others like Salim Hassan and Jake Furfaro who are playing well and it’ll be interesting to see if anyone gives them a go - both have had chances before. And then there is James Podsiadly – will Sydney be keen again at the end of this year?

Any others? Any I listed you don’t agree with?
Good list mate. I reckon Salim Hassan is just about the best VFL prospect I've seen this year.

Another couple IMO are Gilham from Port and Al Neville from Box Hill.

Bit suprised and pleased you have Andrew Jansen on that list. I rate him, but not sure he can make it. Impressed me the other day when he played 7 quarters of footy in one day!

Jarrad or Barling?

mattyc2422 said:
Good list mate. I reckon Salim Hassan is just about the best VFL prospect I've seen this year.

Another couple IMO are Gilham from Port and Al Neville from Box Hill.

Bit suprised and pleased you have Andrew Jansen on that list. I rate him, but not sure he can make it. Impressed me the other day when he played 7 quarters of footy in one day!

Jarrad or Barling?
Hassan is terrific, depends if there is any baggage from his time at Port Power I guess as to whether he gets another chance. I dont know.

Jansen went to the screening last year and had only played country footy. I think your mob and Essendon must have been interested. That's why I put him down.

Yeah Barling is a good one, forgot him. Back in the senior team last week at Williamstown, has played a few 1s games already, done alright at centre half forward.

Not so sure about Jarrad, he was dropped to the ressies earlier in the year. Started 2004 like a house on fire, but form dropped off as well.

I know you rate Al Neville highly Matty. And a certain newspaper must be hoping Marguccio is rookied so they have another name to put in their TV commercial.

footyman said:
Jansen went to the screening last year and had only played country footy. I think your mob and Essendon must have been interested. That's why I put him down.
Hmm intersting that. He's a good kid. Mobile for a big man.

footyman said:
Yeah Barling is a good one, forgot him. Back in the senior team last week at Williamstown, has played a few 1s games already, done alright at centre half forward.
I personally wouldn't want him at Hawthorn, but he's going alright.

footyman said:
I know you rate Al Neville highly Matty. And a certain newspaper must be hoping Marguccio is rookied so they have another name to put in their TV commercial.
:D Marguuuuuuuuuuuuucio.

I thought we should have rookied him after 2003 but his form and spot in the BH pecking order has dropped since.

A few others would be McCorkell and Markham Johnson.

Bendigo ..

Maybes - Jordan Doering been having a fantastic year and Aaron Coungahton, he has been solid this year. On of those players whose trying to make the AFL through the VFL becuase they had injuries in U18s, still young as well.

Awesome Scotty said:
Bendigo ..

Maybes - Jordan Doering been having a fantastic year and Aaron Coungahton, he has been solid this year. On of those players whose trying to make the AFL through the VFL becuase they had injuries in U18s, still young as well.

Would be very surprised if Jackson Barling from Williamstown isn't at least rookied by a club at year end. Very impressive against Geelong last Sunday and played well in the Under 22 VFL match. Also out of the Calder Cannons production line.

Jackson Barling was unlucky to get overlooked last year. He played for Vic Metro 2 years in a row and his amazing build would put him in contention fo many clubs. He has a body of a much more experienced footballer and he's only 18 or 19. I saw his first game against Werribee and he impressed all who were there.

how about justin mconnel from north ballarat he killed it on the weekend 18 or something marks and his consistantly be in the roosters best throughout the year and he is only young he has to be a chance

headovathepill said:
Jackson Barling was unlucky to get overlooked last year. He played for Vic Metro 2 years in a row and his amazing build would put him in contention fo many clubs. He has a body of a much more experienced footballer and he's only 18 or 19. I saw his first game against Werribee and he impressed all who were there.

Agreed. Don't reckon he will last to rookie draft on current form.

Heath Lawry and Luke Jarrad are no chance to be picked up. Out of the others at Willi, of interest are Dean Galea and Liam Picken. Both a chance to be rookied.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bananabender said:
What about O'Keeffee, Biddlecombe and Corrigan from the Zebras?

None of these players have done enough to be drafted, only Summers has impressed me enough this year to be rookied. He really has improved since last year and has been very consitent all year.

popenfresh said:
how about justin mconnel from north ballarat he killed it on the weekend 18 or something marks and his consistantly be in the roosters best throughout the year and he is only young he has to be a chance

Yeh this guy is really showing some form lately, still relatively young (21) and is really peforming at a high level on a consistent basis.
Must have a chance at being picked up.

kris pendlebury, ex vic country last year playing with bendigo just truned 19 and has a ready made body of a afl footballer and athletic ability is great gets the ball unlucky not to get drafted last year. will go close this year.

salemagpies said:
kris pendlebury, ex vic country last year playing with bendigo just truned 19 and has a ready made body of a afl footballer and athletic ability is great gets the ball unlucky not to get drafted last year. will go close this year.
Struth, is he only 19? Very big unit. Seen him twice this year and he's pretty impressive. Very good kick.

yeah only 19, what u reckon kris pendlebury has to get and oppurtuinty sometime. playing senoirs with bendigo now doignpretty well for himself

My three additions to the lisat are both Werribee boys, Salim Hassan, Ed Darcey and Chad O'Sullivan.

What are everyone's thoughts on Chad ?

I think he has the skills and the right footy brain to mix it with the big boys at the highest level of football.

salemagpies said:
Basketball background.

I was close to putting Chad down because I rate him highly, but I think his form has declined compared to the start of the year and he's very short.

yeah very heavily involved with basketball before deciding to play footy unlucky but i think is goodenough to take the next step when he gets the chance

justin mconnel stared 4 the roosters on the weekend hes done pretty well for him self for some 1 last year was stuggleing to get a game in the ones

Remove this Banner Ad

Potential VFL draftees?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back