Preview Pre-Season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah not heaps of coverage, wouldn't mind knowing some of the results from the time trial unless I missed it?
Pretty normal not to put those results up right?

Also, depending what you want from your social media (most people aren't always looking for the Rainman Stats), I'd say the team have been killing it with their draft coverage and platforming the new players... way more than recent years.

Pretty normal not to put those results up right?

Also, depending what you want from your social media (most people aren't always looking for the Rainman Stats), I'd say the team have been killing it with their draft coverage and platforming the new players... way more than recent years.
They haven’t done the 2km as a whole list yet.

Taranto took out Richmond’s 2km time trial with 6:15.
Slower than I thought.
Hamilton would beat him by half a lap.
Sort of shows you how redundant it is.

It is more an indicator of personal improvement and how the players have approached their off season. New draftees and players changing teams frequently perform well. Sort of helps them earn respect of their new teammates and coaches.

They had Phil on SEN seems pretty bullish on the talent of this list and what they can achieve, spoke about a greater focus of pressuring other teams and playing more of a turnover based game, said the teams the most balanced it's been in a while and they should give them some more options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Callaghan training yet?
If not, do we know how long till he is
with the main group.
Giants have posted a few photos of him and it looks like he's involved without video can't tell how involved he is, only photos I've seen have been solo's which only show him and not whether he's with the main group or not. Think he was expected to be back to full health by next year so might not be doing everything yet.

They had Phil on SEN seems pretty bullish on the talent of this list and what they can achieve, spoke about a greater focus of pressuring other teams and playing more of a turnover based game, said the teams the most balanced it's been in a while and they should give them some more options.
Yes, but as if he’s going to say any different. Love Phil, but stopped listening to his podcast as personally I found he would not offer much when the team was playing poorly. Didn’t feel authentic.

Yes, but as if he’s going to say any different. Love Phil, but stopped listening to his podcast as personally I found he would not offer much when the team was playing poorly. Didn’t feel authentic.
Yeah the most notable part to me was a focus on pressure and that they're excited to see how the team looks with a more balanced profile, everything else was pretty stock standard stuff that you'd expect

Some reporting of that Phil Davis interview on SEN:

“I guess from our point of view last year was a bit of an anomaly in terms of where we finished compared to 2021 and previous form,” the veteran defender told SEN’s Sportsday.

“We’ve had a bit of a list change, but I guess we’ve been able to do, particularly since our Grand Final, is go to the draft with lots of high draft picks and get them in a I guess from our point of view a lot of them are now in the second, third or fourth year and I’m hoping they can continue to develop and help us take the next step on top of guys like Isaac Cumming, Harry Himmelberg going to another level, Sam Taylor, hopefully a fit Brent Daniels."

“I see a path where our team, in particular our backline has a great mix these days and is very unheralded, but I think we’ve got a very nice mix. Depends if Harry Himmelberg stays back or goes forward I guess that’s up to Adam Kingsley,” he said.

“Our midfield is starting to look more balanced than it has, the forward line, we have the best one-on-one player in the competition (Toby Greene), we’ve probably just got to have more structure around him to give him a chance."

“Our small forwards, it’s been an area we’ve been trying to recruit for a long time and hopefully Brent Daniels is fit, Toby Bedford, we’ve got people who can run through there."

“So from that perspective I can see a path where it really comes together."

“Collingwood have probably shown how you can go from rags to riches as quickly as possible.”

Excited to hear Ash has impressed AK. Hopefully this is the year that unlocks his talent. Also Toby Bedford. Common aspect: their speed.

Coach Robbie Chancellor was also singled out as being very enthusiastic and ramping up the players.

AK very happy with the draw.

Came back to "fast, exciting brand of footy" a couple of times.

The other thread has had some discussion about Binga Daniels ... here's a chat with him:

Last edited:
Hey guys, apologies for the intrusion and hope you are all well.
I’m about to put together some SuperCoach content for 2022 and was just wondering if anyone could give some thoughts on the following in regards to GWS? They are the next team I am going to review.

-How is Lachie Ash tracking and what is his likely role for 2023?

-Can Nick Haynes recapture his best form again or have too many others gone past him?

-Can Tom Green take the next step to become one of the competitions elite mids? What does he need to do to take the next step?

-do you predict any of the following players to play round 1 next year? Stone, Darcy Jones, Rowston, Angwin or Fahey?

Any insight would be much appreciated and I’ll be sure to link the video and acknowledge anyone who has contributed. Sorry again for the intrusion.

Cheers legends!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hey guys, apologies for the intrusion and hope you are all well.
I’m about to put together some SuperCoach content for 2022 and was just wondering if anyone could give some thoughts on the following in regards to GWS? They are the next team I am going to review.

-How is Lachie Ash tracking and what is his likely role for 2023?

-Can Nick Haynes recapture his best form again or have too many others gone past him?

-Can Tom Green take the next step to become one of the competitions elite mids? What does he need to do to take the next step?

-do you predict any of the following players to play round 1 next year? Stone, Darcy Jones, Rowston, Angwin or Fahey?

Any insight would be much appreciated and I’ll be sure to link the video and acknowledge anyone who has contributed. Sorry again for the intrusion.

Cheers legends!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
  • Ash got shouted out the other day by Kingsley as someone that's impressed him but there's still no clarity over his role yet, think we're all hoping we see a move back to half back
  • We have no idea with Haynes until we see him play, there's probably enough excuses (illness, injury, thrown around positionally) for him last year to where you can give him the benefit of the doubt (and he's certainly earned that), I'm expecting a bounce back year but not expecting AA quality that we've seen in years past still think he's a decent chance to be a really good contributor this year
  • No reason for Tom Green to not explode this year tbh, he's super talented we've seen him play fantastic for weeks at a time before and with the opportunity road blocks cleared for him think he's in for a big year
  • No on Jones and Rowston, if Stone is healthy I think he's a good chance to play he's got plenty of fans on this board same as Fahey but defense is probably a bit more crowded at this stage so a round 1 debut is less likely imo but still think he's a chance to play quite a few games for us this year maybe not a main stay in the side but someone that plays a fair bit

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Pre-Season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back