Predict the 'break out' player of 2014.

Remove this Banner Ad

In the current team: Shuey - looks like the most likely out of the midfielders to join the elite club and if we're to finish high on the ladder he must take the leap

Fringe: Sheppard - Flashes of brilliance, but needs to put it all together

I think Wellingham will really improve. He's at the perfect age now and looks in great nick. With a relatively injury free preseason under his belt hopefully he can improve to the levels he promised in 2010 when he had his best season with Collingwood. His class is desperately needed on the outside as we look so lacklustre if Gaff gets tagged out of a game. I expect him to average 23-25 possessions this year predominantly from the wing with around 15 goals.

Shep is another I think will improve out of sight if Simmo gives him a 7th defender/half back role this year and encourages him to take the game on and provide dash from defence. Him and Yeo doing that along with the elite kicking of Hurn and Ellis, and sound defensive attributes of MacKenzie, Glass and Brown, will instantly make our ball movement and team look better.

Please stop saying Sheppard. Its time to get off that train. I dont know what it is. Hes athletic enough, tall enough, maybe still a little undersized but he doesnt get enough of it. He tries hard when its near him and plays with a bit of mongrel every now and then. Its great to see. But he doesnt influence a game very often. Really needed to sit on a wing for the preseason and rack up 20+ a game. Didnt. Its time to move on.

After watching the first two preseason games, and enjoying the score updates on bf for the last game I wouldn't be surprised if Shepherd makes some good gains this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is what i hope he steadily improves every year. If we didnt have Glass and E-Mac id say it would be Brown. Hard for him to show what he can do when we have two others in his prefered role. I'm sticking with Yeo. Id never heard of him before we got. After this season everyone will know his name

Please stop saying Sheppard. Its time to get off that train. I dont know what it is. Hes athletic enough, tall enough, maybe still a little undersized but he doesnt get enough of it. He tries hard when its near him and plays with a bit of mongrel every now and then. Its great to see. But he doesnt influence a game very often. Really needed to sit on a wing for the preseason and rack up 20+ a game. Didnt. Its time to move on.

I partly agree with you. He is frustrating and this year is his last chance. But I think he deserves one last opportunity to improve himself especially with a new coach at the helm. I don't think he had much exposure in the NAB challenge games only playing limited game time in defence and wasn't too bad. Injury and consistency have hindered him and I feel if Simmo plays him as the 7th defender, a position he should be familiar with, he may finally achieve consistency and thus confidence in his game. He showed a lot in his first year playing off a back flank after all, his best season statistically at the club. He has the tools as you said he just needs to confidence in his own body holding up and from the coach. He's had a good preseason, no injuries, so let's wait and see what Simmo can do with him.

Last edited:
Break out player this season i predict will be Jamie Cripps. He'll cement his spot in our forward line (averaging a goal a game and pushing JK for best forward 50 defensive efforts) whilst pushing up the ground at times where he'll show some grunt and intensity around the ball. By seasons end he'll be considered leadership material, impressing the coaching group with all of the above.

I'd like to see NicNat have a 'breakout season' in terms of getting through one with absolutely no injuries no pain and no niggles..sigh..what a difference that would make to us.

To be honest I haven't been on the Sheppard train up until now. I have had the impression that Sheppard has pace, but often receives the ball running into congestion. I figure that different setup/running patterns under Simpson could make Sheppard appear a lot faster (dare I say swervability) and have more space. I saw a few glimpses over the preseason of Sheppard in space hitting good targets.

I remember having the same impression about Masten when he was recovering from OP about never having time/space and therefore turning the ball over too often.

I'm not saying it's a given, but the potential is there

Masten always showed a lot when he wasnt injured and wasn't played in a pocket (thanks Woosha). People just forget very easily and then it became common knowledge that he was poor and had poor field kicking. I don't know how because he always showed a fair bit when given a chance.

Sheppard on the other hand has an average of <15 disposals a game in every year he has played with a career high of 25. He once cracked the ton in Supercoach. The sort of player he is, he needs to be averaging minimum low 20's to be considered to play more. He is not super damaging, he doesn't win contests so he needs to hurt a little bit often.

I would love nothing more than for Sheppard to finally turn it around and become the influential winger he was drafted to be.

Masten always showed a lot when he wasnt injured and wasn't played in a pocket (thanks Woosha). People just forget very easily and then it became common knowledge that he was poor and had poor field kicking. I don't know how because he always showed a fair bit when given a chance.

Sheppard on the other hand has an average of <15 disposals a game in every year he has played with a career high of 25. He once cracked the ton in Supercoach. The sort of player he is, he needs to be averaging minimum low 20's to be considered to play more. He is not super damaging, he doesn't win contests so he needs to hurt a little bit often.

I would love nothing more than for Sheppard to finally turn it around and become the influential winger he was drafted to be.

We all hated Woosha playing Masten up front for his first few years but i think that move paid off and now Masten can rest up front and have a good effect on the game.

Sheppard just needs to learn one position for the year and at the moment i would happy with him as the 7th defender who can have spells in the middle. He was in an out of the side last year and needs to just play 22 games to get some consistency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would honestly love for him to take a wing spot. I really dont trust him 1v1 so defensively he will leak like a sieve.

Get him on a wing opposite Gaff. Use his endurance and pace and hope he goes great

Can anyone recall the name of that Collingwood player who had 1 good game in his career and kicked 7 or something stupid against us? He was a floating flanker type, my have been of indigenous descent.

Edit: Andrew Tranquilli with 6 goals.

Brodie Holland did kick 8 against us in Judd's first game. By about round 6 he was still on the goal kicking lists but had added about 6 more.

Brodie Holland did kick 8 against us in Judd's first game. By about round 6 he was still on the goal kicking lists but had added about 6 more.
I think Banfield was on him. Eagles two point loss, round two 2002. But back to question. For me Xavier Ellis has been our breakout player thus far. Pure Class

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Predict the 'break out' player of 2014.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back