Remove this Banner Ad

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
Who will take the next step ? Name your most improved player for the upcoming 2023 season. Who will it be ? What impact will they have ?

Will Cumberland go to another level and become a serious AFL force ?

Will Sonsie step into the midfield and become the gun creative player we hope ?

Can Miller improve again and hold down a key position in the future ? Is he the Dave Asbury lockdown key defender or a tall marking option up forward ?

As nearly our best runner where will Ross play and how does he fit in ? Depth or best 22 ?

Will Short step up and make a full transition to the midfield ? Is he a mid ?

Will Baker settle in one spot and make the AA squad ?

Does Hugo have what it takes to be an AFL class wingman or half back ? Will 2023 be his year to shine ?

Has Jack, Graham that is, peaked ? Or is he just scratching the surface of what he can do as a gut running Lambert clone ?

Will Maurice Junior improve again exponentially ? Will he end up being the best Rioli of them all ?

Is Josh Gibcus up to all the hype ? Could he be the one to step up and start controlling games or is it too soon ? Could his leap, high marking and long kicking be better used up forward ?

Has Shai Bolton got the nous to get on top of his goal kicking woes and become the best player in the competition ?

As crazy as it sounds, will Dusty be our most improved player in '23 ? Geez if he does look out !

Can Samson Ryan step up ?

Bauer ?

Which one of Dow, Banks, Brown-without an E, Clarke-with an E or Biggy will break through and take the next step ?

We have a hot list with established stars who will mostly deliver. But as we all know, you need a 25-28 deep list to really hit hard when it comes to the pointy end of the season.

Who is it going to be ?

Last edited:
I'd love it if it was Sonsie but I'm concerned that he may not get the game time and responsibility he may have got with our two new recruits taking over that role. I think he will certainly continue to improve but I don't see the massive leap in performance next year. Probably more like 2024.

The big improver for me is Cumberland. The focus will be on Lynch, Jack, Dusty and Bolton so he will always get one of weaker defenders. I think he is primed for a huge year and as he builds into his new role he will burst onto the seen in a similar way N. Brown did all those years ago.

Who will take the next step ? Name your most improved player for the upcoming 2023 season. Who will it be ? What impact will they have ?

Will Cumberland go to another level and become a serious AFL force ?
Be an interesting year.Clubs now know who he is.
Will Sonsie step into the midfield and become the gun creative player we hope ?
Bit like Ross.With the arrival of TT & Hopp puts him down the pecking order.Looking to 24 once Cotch retires to be best 22.
Can Miller improve again and hold down a key position in the future ? Is he the Dave Asbury lockdown key defender or a tall marking option up forward ?
Hoping he can take the next step at either end.Would solve a few issues.Big year for Ben
As nearly our best runner where will Ross play and how does he fit in ? Depth or best 22 ?
Same position as Sonsie.
Will Short step up and make a full transition to the midfield ? Is he a mid ?
Doubt it.
Will Baker settle in one spot and make the AA squad ?
Baker is our Plug in an Play.Ruck is the only position that may be in doubt.No chance of AA.See what club he plays for.
Does Hugo have what it takes to be an AFL class wingman or half back ? Will 2023 be his year to shine ?
3rd in line behind Kmac & Pickett.Refusing to trade him means we rate him.In a holding pattern at this stage.
Has Jack, Graham that is, peaked ? Or is he just scratching the surface of what he can do as a gut running Lambert clone ?
To be honest .Not sure he's best 22 anymore.Even he seen the writing on the wall.If Dimma has embarked him in Lambo's role then for sure best 22.
Will Maurice Junior improve again exponentially ? Will he end up being the best Rioli of them all ?
Pushing Cyril down to #4.:)
Is Josh Gibcus up to all the hype ? Could he be the one to step up and start controlling games or is it too soon ? Could his leap, high marking and long kicking be better used up forward ?
As stated many times.His leap is wasted down back.
Has Shai Bolton got the nous to get on top of his goal kicking woes and become the best player in the competition ?
Capable of being the best player in the comp no question.
As crazy as it sounds, will Dusty be out most improved player in '23 ? Geez if he does look out !
im back.gif
Can Samson Ryan step up ?
Be great if he can get a few games under his belt in the right circumstances this time.Still at least a year away from being ready i feel.
Pre-season under his belt.Who knows.
Which one of Dow, Banks, Brown-without an E, Clarke-with an E or Biggy will break through and take the next step ?
1669238683032.png
Who is it going to be ?
Banks.You can ANZ on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't really seen much of Brown or Banks. How far off are they ? Who do you liken them to ?
It's bit of a double edged sword . They'll improve to a point where they should get a game but if they do it means injury has struck.
Brown will step into Grimes boots.
Banks into Vlas or Broad type imo.

It's bit of a double edged sword . They'll improve to a point where they should get a game but if they do it means injury has struck.
Brown will step into Grimes boots.
Banks into Vlas or Broad type imo.
Ok.

I had it in my head that Brown was more the Vlas replacement type and Banks would take a wing opposite Hugo in a few years once Marlion (gets to 100) and Kamdyn heads back to Pinjarra.

Then I saw Gibcus as Grimes.

Miller as Astbury.

Balta as Rance.

But then wtf do I know lol

Ok.

I had it in my head that Brown was more the Vlas replacement type and Banks would take a wing opposite Hugo in a few years once Marlion (gets to 100) and Kamdyn heads back to Pinjarra.

Then I saw Gibcus as Grimes.

Miller as Astbury.

Balta as Rance.

But then wtf do I know lol
Thats the way i see it.I could be very much in the wrong.
Ran into Banks at the GC.I'm 192cm and i was looking at him in the eye.At a guess he's grown a few cm's.
I'm presuming Brown has also grown.
B:Brown Balta
HB:Vlas Miller Banks.
Fwd:Gibcus Lynch.

Most improved is hard because it all comes down to how you rate them now...

I think Sonsie has the ability to the best of the you kids... whether we see that this year or not I don't know, but he will be top 10 mid when he's 24+

Miller might be the one who has more impact that he has, so possibly most improved.

If we don't draft a KPF (even if we do they might not be ready)... then I can see him playing the second ruck/3rd fwd role for most of the year, ahead of Soldo!!! If he does that and say averages a goal a game, that would be HUGE for our list.

Controversial opinions for me.
Tarrant
I see Tarrant beginning the year in good form. Let's be honest coming into a defence that has been decimated by injury is a sisyphean task. Another preseason and being backed by Grimes and Balta (hopefully we have learnt that he isn't a forward) he will look a lot more stable.

Tim Taranto
He will love playing the role he wants to play. He was down last year because he kept getting used as a half forward and that is not where he wants to be. Also GWS were pretty shit and sacked a coach mid season so to be honest where is the motivation. I mean getting the ire of the 2 paid members GWS have isn't that motivating, especially when there are only a handful of people in the stadium.

Dusty
Dusty was woeful (by his standards) last year before he was injured. He looked like he couldn't care less and was there to just grab a paycheck. I hope the injection of talent and a stern talking to by the coaches could get him to move into gear. It's been a year since daddy dearest embraced the mortal coil and the excuse of being sad just ain't going to cut it, especially in an industry that demands high performance. If he puts in a year of nonchalance then we should shady car dealer him and get big returns from some club that would want him.

Tim Lynch
We all saw what he could do last year with a midfield that had 1 player that could reliably win a clearance, imagine what he can do with a midfield that had 3. The fact that we might actually match teams in the clearance means that we could get the ball down to big Tom without a 5 minute delay on the flank before bombing it long to a pack because that best gives us "chaos". 666 was made to give forwards good goes at the ball and hopefully Taranto and Hopper along with Meatball and Swizz can get it to him quickly so Lunch can get the big dukes out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2023 Most Improved

Remove this Banner Ad

Back