The Chiefton

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
In light of recent events i thought id at least attempt to lift the spirit a bit by reflecting on what were the most celebrated times in our history!
1975 our first premiership .... 1977 the drawn granny and then the replay! .... 1996 our first premiership in 19 years! .... and 1999 our most recent victory!
I pose the question to everybody who attended the games, and to those who could get there for whatever reason, what were your celebrations like? where did you end up? how long were you off work? where did you sit at the game? Did you get emotional? etc etc...
I am very interested in the responses from people who were at the 75/77 premierships but also those of you (like myself) who thought the 96 glory was absolutely sensational and i reckon they played the song 30 times after we won!!!
99 was great too but the celebrations were a little bit different to those of the previous years for some reason!

I was too young to get out on the town in '75 and '77, but I remember how happy my old man and grandfather were in the wake of '75. In '77, I remember seeing my brother (a fellow BF poster) standing behind Barassi as he was interviewed on ABC news in the rooms after the replay.

Fast forward to 1996 - it was an early start, got to the ground at about 6.30 (this was before the days of seats in the MCC being ticketed). Had great seats directly on the centre circle. I remember thinking in the second quarter when the Swans got a bit of a break on us that we were a possibility of losing AND Troy Luff was a chance to win the Norm Smith.

After the game, had a few quiet beers in the Bullring before heading out to dinner with siblings and on to Arden St. Had many beers with numerous random fellow Kanga fans. Needless to say, it was a late (and great) night. (Oh, if the young lady who was occupying the portaloo that I burst in on is reading this, my sincerest apologies).

Was living overseas in '99. Had to bribe the IT guy at work to get me access to the live commentary on the internet. Then watched the delayed telecast at a local pub, surrounded by a few cocky Carlton supporters (who didn't know the result). Consumed many beers that day. Reckon my neighbours would have been sick of the words "so join in the chorus" by the end of the night.

Can't wait for the next one.

Don't often post on here and prefer a good read of the forums at work but this subject I have a few memories on.

Was only 11 years old in 1996, when I flew over from Perth with my family to watch the game. So I don't have to many memories from the day. I do remember thinking I wanted to go home just after quarter time because things weren't going our way but how things changed. I remember the song being played a copious amount of times after the game and Mum letting me have a lemonade to celebrate!

1999 went over with my brother. Sat next to an adelaide supporter who continued to remind me about the year before for a good half. I continuted to enjoy Peter Bell and Shannon Grant run riots around our tall forwards contests. At 3 quarter time I remember us being up by 45 points and saying to my brother "I know we've got it now so when the siren sounds I won't cry!" Anyway the siren and I burst out with a big YESSSS oh their was tears. Went to the do at Arden Street the next day and was lucky enough to get photos with a few of the boys with their medallions. One of the best feelings when that siren went something I'll never forget!

Few months later I was back in Melbourne headed down to Arden St - pre season was in full swing, Greg Miller came over for a chat and conned us into helping him package memberships for the 2000 season, and as a small gift which was a huge one for me he brought in the premiership cup from the previous year for me to have a hold of and also let me meet my fav player in Shagga Grant. Meant everything to a 14 year old kid like myself.

Shags I was 11 in 96 as well so we are the same age... and if i remember correctly my old man let me have a few to many red soft drinks so i was peaking by 8pm lol ....... now that i am old enough to get out amongst it i want to experience it all over again!

I was at the G on that glorious day in 75. Magnificent! Was with my folks and brother, we just went home after the game & cracked a bottle of champagne, didn't even think of going to Arden St.

Much the same in 77.

In 96, I was with my wife & a few mates. I had confidently put an esky with ice & champagne in the car boot, so we toasted the victory after the game. Then my wife drove home (someone had to lookafter the kids!), while I boarded a tram with some mates to make our way through the city to Arden St. I vaguely remember having a kick on the hallowed turf, and having multiple beers at Arden St, then at various places back in town, and maybe a souvlaki at Stalactites, and finally getting home at 5am.

At 7am, my 5 year old daughter came in, bursting with excitement, to tell me that North had won the Grand Final!!! Ah, kids..........

In 99, I had a few beers at the post-game function at Melbourne Park. It was great beating Carlton of course, but I have to say it felt a bit anti-climactic, knowing we had torched a flag the previous year.

Went to the 77 drawn GF with my late Dad and we sat in the forward pocket, scoreboard end. He was a Demon supporter who hated Collingwood with a passion. He was also a prisoner of the Japanese and he wanted to know what the Japanese were doing at the grand final. He could see these big white and red flags fluttering down the other end of the ground in the cheer squad. When I looked carefully, they were blue and white North flags with the Courage golden cockerill on a big red circle. Fond memories!

The following week I watched the replay from a unit in Surfers Paradise. God knows what everyone thought of all the screaming and swearing coming from our unit. After we won I went down and threw myself in the pool!

I must have watched the 1996 win from somewhere near see see. In those days you'd get there at the crack of dawn, get your seat in the MCC members and watch three grand finals. There was no BS "entertainment" just a build up of footy matches.

Went to the 77 drawn GF with my late Dad and we sat in the forward pocket, scoreboard end. He was a Demon supporter who hated Collingwood with a passion. He was also a prisoner of the Japanese and he wanted to know what the Japanese were doing at the grand final. He could see these big white and red flags fluttering down the other end of the ground in the cheer squad. When I looked carefully, they were blue and white North flags with the Courage golden cockerill on a big red circle. Fond memories!

The following week I watched the replay from a unit in Surfers Paradise. God knows what everyone thought of all the screaming and swearing coming from our unit. After we won I went down and threw myself in the pool!

I must have watched the 1996 win from somewhere near see see. In those days you'd get there at the crack of dawn, get your seat in the MCC members and watch three grand finals. There was no BS "entertainment" just a build up of footy matches.

If you were near me, were you also on the verge of hitting that 'Sydney Town Cryer' flog who kept ringing the bell? If the Swans won that day, I doubt he would've lived to see the celebrations. Of course, we were also sitting next to your stereotypical Swans supporter who kept calling the umpies "refs".

The best thing about the three GFs in '96 was the fact that they were all won by North. Also, Mike Brady singing 'Up There Cazaly' before the game was the very definition of footy "entertainment" in my book.

Too young for 75 & 77.

1996 - Watched the game from Olympic Stand ground level next to the race. Saw Ali in the flesh (highlight before the game). Went to Arden St after the game and remember seeing people moshing to Daryl Cotton (WTF??) Bit of a blurr, Fast Eddies for a burger and ended up sleeping at a house on Ascot Vale Rd. Dunno who lived there but.

1999 - Started the morning at the Swan Hotel in Richmond and got half cut. Walked to the ground while the entertainment was starting and sat behind the goals Ponsford Stand end ground level. As soon as we won I rushed back to the Swan with a few poncho's so we could tip drinks over ourselves while we celebrated. Walked to the Motel (niteclub Sth Melb) from the Swan (in Richmond) took forever.

Good times.............

If you were near me, were you also on the verge of hitting that 'Sydney Town Cryer' flog who kept ringing the bell? If the Swans won that day, I doubt he would've lived to see the celebrations. Of course, we were also sitting next to your stereotypical Swans supporter who kept calling the umpies "refs".

The best thing about the three GFs in '96 was the fact that they were all won by North. Also, Mike Brady singing 'Up There Cazaly' before the game was the very definition of footy "entertainment" in my book.

I'd forgotten about the town crier. I now recall that he was REALLY annoying me before half time. I think it was caused by scoreboard pressure.

I'd also forgotten we won all three GFs that day. No wonder it was such an enjoyable day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Premiership celebrations!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back