Big Vee

Rookie
Jun 20, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Subi, Parkdale, Mt Lawley, Bengals
I’m far from the modern generation that thinks everyone deserves a medal, but watching the St Kilda game the tiges don’t win that game and make the top 4 without Stack and Chol’s efforts and we all know about Graham’s prelim.

As the most innovative and connected club should Richmond make replica Silver and Bronze grand final medals for those that missed out on the grand final.

Silver medals for the players that played a senior game in the year (yet missed out on the gold premiership medal) and bronze for the players that didn’t play senior footy on the list.

It seems like this could be a way of further recognizing the entire list and being innovative.

This means players like Stack get the recognition of a medal, yet hopefully strive to get the gold in the future.

When Dimma comes out and says essentially that more than just the 22 deserve a medal then the question for me becomes not "should others get a medal" but "what sort of medal should they get?"

I know there's many who dislike the idea of anybody outside of the chosen 22 getting an award, but to my mind we're talking about in club recognition rather than something sanctioned by the AFL. That being the case, I think the decision needs to be guided by the club's values and everything I'm hearing from inside the club suggests to me that every player in the squad is seen to have made some sort of contribution. That being the case, I see no reason why the club shouldn't offer some sort of award to those outside the 22 to recognize the contribution they made to the 2019 flag.

It should be up to the club. IMO the AFL should provide the 22 medals on the day, and the club can come back the next week and say actually we'd like X amount more made and pays for the rest. Leaves it totally up to the club and who they think deserves one.

I don’t think the actual medal is the part that matters, playing in the premiership is the part that matters, the reunions and the memories.

If I was given a silver medal for participating during the year and not playing on the day I’d probably just chuck it in a drawer personally but if someone gets something out of it why not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When Dimma comes out and says essentially that more than just the 22 deserve a medal then the question for me becomes not "should others get a medal" but "what sort of medal should they get?"

I know there's many who dislike the idea of anybody outside of the chosen 22 getting an award, but to my mind we're talking about in club recognition rather than something sanctioned by the AFL. That being the case, I think the decision needs to be guided by the club's values and everything I'm hearing from inside the club suggests to me that every player in the squad is seen to have made some sort of contribution. That being the case, I see no reason why the club shouldn't offer some sort of award to those outside the 22 to recognize the contribution they made to the 2019 flag.
That's the question for me too...
Maybe a Richmond Man & Woman Medal for services rendered to the RFC in winning 2017/19/20 Grand Final to all on the Playing List perhaps?!?

I don't mind the whole "historical perspective" of only 22 premiership medals... the thing about it that bothers me is that the media says "two time premiership player" when referring to one of the 16 who played in both specific games, but people like Jack Graham are only going to be a "premiership player" going forward; something about it bothers me as this is where the "prestige" of the award seems to be placed, from a "recognition" perspective... I don't see any way of fixing this problem without a complete reset of the media along with any recognition the AFL/club-in-question may deem necessary.

leon davis?

Coach plus 22.

Though since some people want everyone to have a participation award then surely all the assistants and stuff deserve a premiership medal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You play one H&A or final during the year, you should get a premiership medal as you contributed to the team winning the flag.

Assistant coaches should get one as well.

Up to the club to decide if they recognise the volunteers, medical staff etc.

Gold medallions for the 22 on the day, silver for the others who played that season and bronze for the rest of the list would work well.

I think this year more than any has shown not just that it sucks when one or two players miss but the absolute necessity of players who contributed before the grand final who aren't acknowledged. The whole Bob Murphy was a touching moment but at the end of the day he played only the start of the year.
Stack was one of the absolute best early on when we were in trouble with injury and was a real catalyst who sparked the whole "opportunity over disaster" mantra.
Jack Graham's contribution during the prelim final was heroic.
The joke is the grand final was actually a walk over compared to the other finals. We could have replaced our bottom 6 with any number of VFL players and still had the same result.

Obviously the question is always "where do you draw the line".
Everyone will have an opinion as to where this line is. Some want all players and coaches acknowledged. Some want it as it is.
I'd be happy with all players who played a senior game getting a premiership medal. If that happens to be 35 medals awarded then so be it.
I don't subscribe to the whole scarcity thing being a requirement for these medals to be valuable lol End of the day, there wouldn't be much difference if it was 22 or 32 awarded. Jack Graham contributed more to the "premiership" than plenty who played on the day. And last I checked they were called Premiership medallions, not "grand final day participation awards"

It takes more than the 22 on the day to win a premiership. The whole squad should receive a premiership ring and the 22 on the day can continue to receive a medal

22 players and coach every day of the week.
If the club wants to present premiership medals of its own to all listed players go ahead, but AFL sanctioned ones should only be allocated to those who suit up and the coach.
Are the AFL going to retrospectively award rings to every player ever on a list during a premiership season?
Then I look forward to two of my favourite Tigers in Graeme Land, Bruce Tempany, Graeme Robertson and Paul Sarah getting theirs.

I remember something Brendan Gale said before our 2017 flag and while the conversation wasn’t about medals it does stick in my mind when the topic of premiership medals comes up.

It went something like this.

It takes a whole club to work together to get into a Grand Final but it comes down to the 22 players on the day to win the flag.

For this reason I say leave it as is.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Premiership Medals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back