AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Rohan Connolly has written an article today about the AFLs "Bad Boys" who receive the least amount of free kicks and the AFL "Golden Boys" who receive the most.

I know he has had a hard couple of years, but for mine, one of the leagues most "protected species" is the Kangaroos Anthony Stevens.

Courageous player but only has to sniff the ball and he's given a free kick !!

Not a comment on the guy at all, he is a genuine hero, but wait untill Jason McCartney gets back. If the umpies go true to form any opposition player that gets within 10 meters of him will be pinged.

Hass there ever been any other player so inclined to play from behind yet get so many frees while giving so few away as Lynch? He has received Silvagni's torch.

Originally posted by MarkT
Hass there ever been any other player so inclined to play from behind yet get so many frees while giving so few away as Lynch? He has received Silvagni's torch.
I agree. How he doesn't get pinged more for those shoves he gives his opponent is a mystery.

Rohan Connolly wrote:
In the total free kick count, Adelaide, Port Adelaide and Fremantle lead the way, from Hawthorn and Melbourne. The Demons have also conceded the most of any side, with West Coast second and Carlton third, two teams who under their respective coaches, John Worsfold and Denis Pagan, have developed a strong attack on the contest and the ball.

Interesting stat there....considering the free AFL stats site has West Coast as the biggest beneficiary of free kicks, followed by Richmond and Carlton with Essendon, Carlton and Port Adelaide giving away the most frees.

Can we nominate the whole Brisbane team ? Their players seem to get away with stuff no other clubs players do. Slam players into fences, run through them. You name, they either don't get reported or cleared of it.

Originally posted by Porthos
Interesting stat there....considering the free AFL stats site has West Coast as the biggest beneficiary of free kicks, followed by Richmond and Carlton with Essendon, Carlton and Port Adelaide giving away the most frees.

Doesnt surprise me one iota that Port gives away so many frees, they are a bunch of feral sewer rats wallowing in there own filth down at the docks in struggle town.

Players such as Lynch & Silvagni have the footy smarts & know/knew when to give a slight push without being caught out as what happened to Bassett on sat night, anyway i don't begrudge a full-forward like Lynch who who knows how to use his body against an opponent & comes up with 7 goals from 8 kicks. ( i should add "as long as it's against any other club but the Crows" )

In the Sydney media for the past days they have reported how Paul Roos is basically fed up with Barry Hall not getting any free kicks and sent a compiled video with footage of Barry to the clowns who are in charge of the umpires.

What I want to know..isn't that kinda cheating to not pay a player a free kick b/c the umpires don't like him or b/c he is known as a hard nut. The rules are there for everyone and were put in place for a reason.

It's like taking a bribe to throw away a game..u know pay the umpires off.

Take Alistair Lynch...the most protected Full forward going around atm.

Is that against the spirit of the game? Against the rules?

I dunno it just made me think that's all..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by fabulousphil
Doesnt surprise me one iota that Port gives away so many frees, they are a bunch of feral sewer rats wallowing in there own filth down at the docks in struggle town.
But go on, say what you really think.

...has West Coast as the biggest beneficiary of free kicks...
Doesn't surprise me!

Respect the guy as a player, but Daniel Kerr must be an endangered spicies, because the umpires will give him a free if his shirt gets brushed by an opponent at a contest.

4 frees for, 0 against for Kerr on Saturday. I can't even work out what some of them are for and I re-watched the game on fox twice (a sucker, I know)!!

West Coast get plenty of their frees right in the middle. Charity centre clearances!

And Collingwood has recieved by far the least. AFL lovechild? I think not....

(edit: taken from The Age, not that site)

FF

I dont think its this big conspiracy theory againt certain players, it may just seem that way, but I'm sure you'll find that it isn't.

So far this year, Lynch has had 4 frees and given away 7 from 5 games.

Hall has recieved 5 frees and given away 10 from 8 games.

A pretty marginal difference if you ask me.

Last year from 22 games, Lynch recieved 16 frees and gave away 29.

Barry Hall recieved 8 and gave away 24 from 17 games.

Not a big difference, but Hall was on the recieving end a bit more.

Since 98:

Lynch has played 104 games for 92 free kicks and given away 153. (ave: 0.88/game for, 1.47/game against)

Barry Hall has played 94 games for 65 free kicks and given away 123. (ave: 0.69/game for, 1.30/game againts)

That is pretty marginal, although Lynch is involved in quite a few more free kick incidents - Still both give away just under 2 frees for each one they get.

Originally posted by FIGJAM
West Coast get plenty of their frees right in the middle. Charity centre clearances!

They really slowed down our imminent comeback on Saturday.

We've been copping them all year and theyve really been hurting us.

Tarrant has also been r*ped lately but I guess that part and parcel of being in excellent form.

Originally posted by FIGJAM
Doesn't surprise me!

Respect the guy as a player, but Daniel Kerr must be an endangered spicies, because the umpires will give him a free if his shirt gets brushed by an opponent at a contest.

4 frees for, 0 against for Kerr on Saturday. I can't even work out what some of them are for and I re-watched the game on fox twice (a sucker, I know)!!

Kerr isn't a protected species, he just puts his head over the ball and goes at it, which is the perfect ploy for picking up free kicks.

Originally posted by Black Thunder
FF

I dont think its this big conspiracy theory againt certain players, it may just seem that way, but I'm sure you'll find that it isn't.

So far this year, Lynch has had 4 frees and given away 7 from 5 games.

Hall has recieved 5 frees and given away 10 from 8 games.

A pretty marginal difference if you ask me.

Last year from 22 games, Lynch recieved 16 frees and gave away 29.

Barry Hall recieved 8 and gave away 24 from 17 games.

Not a big difference, but Hall was on the recieving end a bit more.

Over their whole careers:

Lynch (since 94) has played 156 games for 92 free kicks and given away 153. (ave: 0.58/game for, 0.98/game against)

Barry Hall (since 96) has played 113 games for 65 free kicks and given away 123. (ave: 0.57/game for, 1.08/game againts)

That is pretty marginal.

yes I agree on those figures. But tell me, an umpire is more prone to award Lynch a free and turn a blind eye to Barry. He doesnt even get paid the holding on frees. I saw a few instances on Sunday where the Geelong scraggers would just hold onto Barry jumper and the umpire put his whistle back in his pocket.

Where Alistar would get that free.

But i was making a point about umpires and the rules in genral. If the free is there, regardless who it is, you have to pay the free. The rules state that.

Originally posted by Frosties_Flank
What I want to know..isn't that kinda cheating to not pay a player a free kick b/c the umpires don't like him or b/c he is known as a hard nut. The rules are there for everyone and were put in place for a reason.

It's like taking a bribe to throw away a game..u know pay the umpires off.

The regular standard of umpiring is incompetent NOT dishonest. There were occasions last Sunday at the SCG where a free kick was awarded and the players from both sides stood around in bewilderment, even they had no idea what the umpires were on about.

yes I agree on those figures

Those changed a bit because I realized I had included games where the were no free kick stats, but they still had a similar result.

But tell me, an umpire is more prone to award Lynch a free and turn a blind eye to Barry. He doesnt even get paid the holding on frees. I saw a few instances on Sunday where the Geelong scraggers would just hold onto Barry jumper and the umpire put his whistle back in his pocket.

Where Alistar would get that free.

But i was making a point about umpires and the rules in genral. If the free is there, regardless who it is, you have to pay the free. The rules state that.

I think umpires generally will pay a free if they think there is one regardless of who the player is. They don't see an incident and go "yep that James Hird, he has to get a free kick" or "nope thats BArry Hall we can't give him one" despite popular belief.

The holding on incidents have been going on since day dot and the umpire, just like in soccer, will always be more lenien on the defensive team, because giving a free kick away within the forward 50 is like giving a goal away.

Originally posted by bricon
The regular standard of umpiring is incompetent NOT dishonest. There were occasions last Sunday at the SCG where a free kick was awarded and the players from both sides stood around in bewilderment, even they had no idea what the umpires were on about.

Well then the umpires and players need a 3 day camp to revise and study the rules.

Is AFL the only game in the world were the umpiring is consistantly bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Protected Species ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back