Public vs Private School funding

Remove this Banner Ad

F*ing rinse and repeat... Another article that points out something that is already known and being addressed, without making any reference to the fact that this is being rectified...

Agree with the recommendation to have a floor rather than cap for Federal contributions, though I doubt it will get over the line, some (many?) states are quite comfortable with not fully funding their schools. Despite being a state responsibility, state school funding still generates more issues for federal governments than states.
if its being addressed why does the gap keep getting wider? the rinse and repeat is the bullshit defending this disgraceful rort.

Would be nice if state pollies took responsibility for their bad decisions? Look at Shepparton High, Melbourne based crats decide to merge four bad schools and created one large under resourced violent school. Got media attention, introduced changes in policies but in the short term made the stats look better while things actually got worse. Now things are so bad, even cooked books can't hide them with families who have the resources fleeing to the private system, poorer decent hard working families just not sending kids anymore and teachers in constant fear.

Money would help but better policies and local led decision making informed by teachers not crats and all parts of society not just a few groups will help more.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app
not having to get leftovers from the overfunded private schools wouldn't hurt either.

The link didn't work, but public schools receive almost double the amount of government funding that non-government schools do. Whether that's the right amount is fair debate.
id question the amounts but thats maybe because they are "government" schools? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:. Where else would they get money from. Are you seriously suggesting that private schools should be given the same amounts as govt schools?

id question the amounts but thats maybe because they are "government" schools? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:. Where else would they get money from. Are you seriously suggesting that private schools should be given the same amounts as govt schools?
I'm not seriously suggesting it. I have NEVER suggested such a thing.

In 2022, government schools received on average $22,510 per student from government.
In 2022, non-government schools received on average $12,160 per student from government.

Whether this is the right amount is fair debate. Whether these are the numbers for 2022 or not is not up for debate: those are the facts.

And in this case, that was my only point. Someone suggested government schools should get 50% more funding than non-government schools. They already receive well in excess of 50% more.

I'm not seriously suggesting it. I have NEVER suggested such a thing.

In 2022, government schools received on average $22,510 per student from government.
In 2022, non-government schools received on average $12,160 per student from government.

Whether this is the right amount is fair debate. Whether these are the numbers for 2022 or not is not up for debate: those are the facts.

And in this case, that was my only point. Someone suggested government schools should get 50% more funding than non-government schools. They already receive well in excess of 50% more.
and so they should - they are government schools. Whats your theory on the growing gap?

F*ing rinse and repeat... Another article that points out something that is already known and being addressed, without making any reference to the fact that this is being rectified...

Agree with the recommendation to have a floor rather than cap for Federal contributions, though I doubt it will get over the line, some (many?) states are quite comfortable with not fully funding their schools. Despite being a state responsibility, state school funding still generates more issues for federal governments than states.
i just got told that link didn't work. Yet you commented on its content? wtf? you just pretended you read it didnt you? lol

Thank you. If they want their action to match their rhetoric, then governments need to address the issues raised in the linked release and the report the release refers to.
Precisely. State governments need to ensure they are meeting their obligations as well. The focus seems to always go onto the feds when this debate comes up.

It's a bit dated now, but I was privvy to some analysis about 5 years ago that looked at the gap in state funding, the numbers were quite startling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i just got told that link didn't work. Yet you commented on its content? wtf? you just pretended you read it didnt you? lol
Just on this, it was pretty easy to get the link to work with a teeny bit of editing. You'd just double posted the URL so it just needed the second URL removed for the link to work. So, I wouldn't immediately assume that someone hadn't read it.

Anyhoo... there's clearly more that needs to be done here to better fund our government schools. I'm really not a fan of the fact the State's can treat education so differently to each other creating this inequity across the country. It sucks.

The public are waking up to this rort and the insipid "policies" trotted out. Nothing is acceptable to the private school lobby that sees them lose a single dollar despite how much "overs" have been dished out to those who come not even close to needing it. Australian School funding is a national disgrace on the world stage. but the recipients of the rort DGAF

The public are waking up to this rort and the insipid "policies" trotted out. Nothing is acceptable to the private school lobby that sees them lose a single dollar despite how much "overs" have been dished out to those who come not even close to needing it. Australian School funding is a national disgrace on the world stage. but the recipients of the rort DGAF
I think this report is actually saying the complete opposite of that...

I went to a public school and years later I reckon it's a miracle I got through despite it. Best move I've done getting my kids into private, albeit I resent having to pay so much on top of the tax I pay for a baseline acceptable service because govt fail to deliver.

I went to a public school and years later I reckon it's a miracle I got through despite it. Best move I've done getting my kids into private, albeit I resent having to pay so much on top of the tax I pay for a baseline acceptable service because govt fail to deliver.
*%#@ it!!! Lets send all the kids to private schools!

Doesnt that suggest we need more funding for public schooling?

And how do you know what private schools are like without ever going to one? I went to both public and private. Public lacks funding. Most privates have an insane level of religious indoctrination and bizarre obsession with your appearance.

Doesnt that suggest we need more funding for public schooling?

And how do you know what private schools are like without ever going to one? I went to both public and private. Public lacks funding. Most privates have an insane level of religious indoctrination and bizarre obsession with your appearance.
I think our public school is reasonably funded and staffed, aside from maybe attracting higher quality of teachers and some bells and whistles I dont know if throwing more money would really help that much.

Real problem is a high % of shitbird students with parents that don't care that have nowhere else to go and just being too small to offer a wide enough range of y11 and 12 subjects.

I think our public school is reasonably funded and staffed, aside from maybe attracting higher quality of teachers and some bells and whistles I dont know if throwing more money would really help that much.

Real problem is a high % of shitbird students with parents that don't care that have nowhere else to go and just being too small to offer a wide enough range of y11 and 12 subjects.
then why are they throwing money at private schools? that must bother you too surely?

In primary school I did 2 years public, 2 years private and 4 years homeschooling (in SA we started high school in year 8 until recently). Then all public for high school. In regional SA. Went on to get a couple of degrees and earn enough to travel the world.

If I had kids I'd send them to public, happy my nieces are going to public.

Depends on the private school obviously, but I'd rather they get to know the real world better than end up with a sense of entitlement or skewed perspective. I've had friends go to some of the most prestigious private schools, now some are down to earth, but some have some pretty hefty egos and I remember one of them saying their schooling didn't help.

In primary school I did 2 years public, 2 years private and 4 years homeschooling (in SA we started high school in year 8 until recently). Then all public for high school. In regional SA. Went on to get a couple of degrees and earn enough to travel the world.

If I had kids I'd send them to public, happy my nieces are going to public.

Depends on the private school obviously, but I'd rather they get to know the real world better than end up with a sense of entitlement or skewed perspective. I've had friends go to some of the most prestigious private schools, now some are down to earth, but some have some pretty hefty egos and I remember one of them saying their schooling didn't help.
While I'm getting on now, I reflect on 13 years of private education that my parents worked hard and shelled out for. I appreciate that they wanted to do what they thought was best for me. I then worked for 40 years in the public school system. The neglect and deliberate dismantling of the public system - spearheaded by the obnoxious Howard who dared to suggest that public school were "valueless" while thousand of teachers around the country were busting their guts for kids whose families had no choice but to rely on made me sick. I can't wait for the day he has a plot to piss on.

Ive spent most of my time since graduating from my "exclusive" school trying to re-educate myself to be a member of our whole society not just bullshit self described "class". I can't do anything about parents wanting to quarantine their kids from the " lower classes" but I'll be damned if I'll contribute to funding it without making plenty of noise. Both sides of politics are shit scared to take on an obvious rort because of ballot box threats. A pox on all of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Public vs Private School funding

Remove this Banner Ad

Back