QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Our crowds have held up really well so far Stuyd despite the results to date, mind you we’ve had the local derbies so far and with winter approaching I’m sure it’ll drop off. Was a small crowd at labrador Saturday for what was a big game for both clubs.

As for the standard, scrappy style of play I’m not sure I agree there, scoring is up on previous years competition wide and personally I haven’t really noticed any real difference on style of play
Ive only been to the game against PBC at Broady and the crowd was well down on the same fixture in previous years . I went to the Redland Vs Aspley game at Redlands 2 weeks ago and there were only about 500 people there ( 85 % Redland supporters.)..for a top of the table clash between 2 Brisbane sides I thought it was poor. Must say in contrast the Morningside vs Noosa game on the weekend was a good crowd with plenty of Noosa supporters there.

I still say the standard is not on par to last year and my prior post about this was more centred on the poor skills uncontested ,, especially the kicking skills and marking

Toucan, great stuff as usual. I enjoy your posts.

I’m not sure what you can make of Morningside in that this year in 4 of the 8 games they has totalled scores of 140, 141, 142 & 143. Besides that bit of numerology I am wondering as high scoring is a strong factor to winning if you can educate me on what (1) the highest losing total score is in QAFL and (2) what score creates a high percentage winning probability. (I.e. the old folklore of first to 100)

My grandfather taught me the "first to 100" adage way back in 1980 and it holds true in the overwhelming majority of cases.

Wow , who would of thought at the start of the season that my Broadbeach after 8 rounds are 2nd last with 1-7 game result ,,, must say we may well finish 2nd last as well . Such a big drop off after being a power club for the past 5 years in all grades ..
Anyway thats how it is ... I still support them ,, that wont change .

Wow , who would of thought at the start of the season that my Broadbeach after 8 rounds are 2nd last with 1-7 game result ,,, must say we may well finish 2nd last as well . Such a big drop off after being a power club for the past 5 years in all grades ..

It doesn’t take much to fall away in this comp anymore. I’m sure you will be back competing before to long

Stu how is coach going there? He has a very good coaching record, but some of his success has been with really good teams . Be interested in your thoughts how he is going with the playing group he has to work with?

LaggingBehind MortlockWatcher
Let's deal with the important stuff first:
Regarding the Morningside scores: that's extraordinary! Its not something I'm watching for - but that's a great observation.

I haven't tried to consider the probability of a win based on certain scores. So many different variables affecting the QAFL experience: ground conditions, exposure to the elements, historical tactics and methods, fitness of players, etc. Obviously, in general terms, the more you score, the more likely you are to win (and vice versa).
However, if we work on the basis of teams that score 100 points: since 1904, a "QAFL" team has kicked 100 points or more in a game on 5,462 occasions. Of those teams, 4,736 have been winning scores, so that represents a 86.7% likelihood of winning a QAFL game when you score 100 points or more.
Sadly, 704 teams have hit triple figures, but still lost the game - thus a 12.9% of losing despite clearing 100 points.
Hang on! That doesn't add up. And that's because in 11 games, 22 teams have scored over 100 points, and walked away with two points each (0.4%). (Personally, I'm rapt about draws. I reckon they should be something celebrated, demonstrating how close the comp is, rather than bemoaned because your multi-whatever bombed.)

Which team had the highest losing score in QAFL history? That honour will go to Sherwood in their first year of QAFL:
1983 R6 Windsor Zillmere 25-14-164 d Sherwood 24-18-162 at O'Callaghan Park

One extra: the highest scoring draw was between Kedron and Wilston Grange:
1976 R8 Kedron 21-15-141 v Wilston Grange 22-9-141 at John Wren Oval

Toucan Soup
Probably the unluckiest team to reach 100 in football history?
Coolaroo Rovers in Melbourne's Panton Hill Football League in the 1987 2nd Semi Final:

Keon Park 31.6.192
Coolaroo Rovers 27.18.180

In the Grand Final, Rovers were again the second team to reach 100 points and once again lost to the Tigers, this time it was 16.14.110 to 15.10.100.

Stu how is coach going there? He has a very good coaching record, but some of his success has been with really good teams . Be interested in your thoughts how he is going with the playing group he has to work with?
Still Me.
Imo hes doing a very good job with the list we have ( dominated by youth and inexperience ) He has them playing a very good brand of footy and they are competitive for 2 and a half quarters but then fall away in the last quarter plus.
Must comment we really only have 4 players that are experienced players be it Erickson, Nickalus, Chadwick, Jellyman -Turner .

Round 8 Results

The Matter that’s Stuff

Here are some more QAFL Scorigami references for Round 8, plus other potentially useless scraps of trivia:

Wilston Grange 15-10-100 d Surfers Paradise 9-15-69
This score has never occurred before.
The margin of 31 points has now occurred 114 times.

Labrador 14-9-93 d Broadbeach 11-6-72
This score has occurred once previously:
2022 R6: Palm Beach 14-9-93 d Sherwood 10-12-72
The margin of 21 points has now occurred 109 times.
The aggregated scores of all Labrador V Broadbeach games has now passed 10,000 points (10,013).

Redland Victoria Point 15-11-101 d Maroochydore 7-11-53
The margin of 48 points has now occurred 93 times.

Morningside 21-15-141 d Noosa 15-10-100
This score has occurred once previously:
1981 R6: Kedron 20-21-141 d Sandgate 15-10-100
The margin of 41 points has now occurred 96 times.

Aspley 30-27-207 d Mt Gravatt 3-1-19
The margin of 188 points has now occurred 3 times.
This is the 138th time that a team has kicked 30 goals or more in a game.

Palm Beach Currumbin 19-8-122 d Sherwood 11-7-73
This score has occurred two times previously:
1967 R20: Kedron 19-8-122 d Wilston Grange 11-7-73
1982 R2: Windsor Zillmere 17-20-122 d Western Districts 9-19-73 at Chelmer
The margin of 49 points has now occurred 69 times.

Something I’ve noticed this morning:
Depending upon your perspective, the total number of “QAFL” games will reach 8,500 in five rounds time. Round 13 will include the 8,500th fixture.
(Note: During the NEAFL years, I have included AFLSQ/QAFL games too. I have not included Cancelled, or “No Result” games, caused by COVID or weather or disagreeable clubs.)
If we posit that there are roughly 100 games per season, the competition will reach the 10,000 game milestone in Season 2039 (unless something wild happens). I’ll be almost age 70 by then. Hopefully, I’ve still got my faculties about me.
(On a different note, is anyone from AFLQ monitoring or reading these posts? If so, there is an article you can post on your website. Sometimes, the contact is more important than the content.)

some really good juniors coming through (originating from Burleigh in many cases) - if 80% of them go undrafted, which is likely, just have to hold onto them and the future is bright.

Still Me.
Imo hes doing a very good job with the list we have ( dominated by youth and inexperience ) He has them playing a very good brand of footy and they are competitive for 2 and a half quarters but then fall away in the last quarter plus.
Must comment we really only have 4 players that are experienced players be it Erickson, Nickalus, Chadwick, Jellyman -Turner .

I thought Searle was still playing? Or is he injured?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Broady lost Zanker-Close with a shoulder before half time and Nicklaus with concussion straight after. Were looking competitive up until that stage.

I expect more 17-18 year olds coming in this week against. Mt G with the injury toll mounting.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In the current climate, accomodation for players coming north must be a major consideration these days? What do clubs do to aid players moving north? Have any clubs ever, bought property to house multiple players in perpetuity? Why not?

In the current climate, accomodation for players coming north must be a major consideration these days? What do clubs do to aid players moving north? Have any clubs ever, bought property to house multiple players in perpetuity? Why not?

this can't be a legitmately serious post?

In the current climate, accomodation for players coming north must be a major consideration these days? What do clubs do to aid players moving north? Have any clubs ever, bought property to house multiple players

Yes Noosa have three waterfront properties side by side with underground tunnels connecting them so they can come and go as they please. They have full use of the 6 jet skis and a BBQ pontoon boat for team gatherings. Pretty sure Maroochydore own the penthouse at the Sebel and looking to buy a nightclub in Ocean St to keep players occupied when not at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back