QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

My Grogan tips:

Hickey - Palm Beach
Fletcher - Sherwood

Smokies:

Fyfe - Labrador
McDonagh - Morningside

Really like Mitchell Conn, but Noosa not competitive enough.

Rising Star:

Derrington - Labrador
Hude - Sherwood

I guess i’ll chuck in my grogan tips as well…

Winner: Tom Hickey
Gameday dominance backed up with outlandish statlines. Should win by a large margin

Runner up: Great seasons from will fletcher and tom simpson, expect them to be right up there. Think ben woodburn can sneak into the top few spots. Tommy horne and matt doran should be there as well

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My Grogan tips:

Hickey - Palm Beach
Fletcher - Sherwood

Smokies:

Fyfe - Labrador
McDonagh - Morningside

Rising Star:

Derrington - Labrador
Hude - Sherwood
Grogan- Hickey easily
Runner Up - Simpson (Labrador)
Smokey- Bowles from Grange,just a treat to watch
Rising Star - Gallop from Maroochy!
Premiers- Aspley comfortably

Son Of a Gun..
so what issues do you know about to make quotes like this ?

I know nothing mate, but I call it as I see it. Happy playing groups don’t perform like the Cats did on Saturday against a winless team, especially with Searl’s farewell. But maybe I’m totally off the mark.

As someone else posted, word was he was gone 6 weeks or so back, but the wins. V Aspley and Gorillas look to have changed this.

I should clarify that the players leaving are supposedly FIFO or returning to Vic. My prior post reads like it is due to coaching appointment.

I know nothing mate, but I call it as I see it. Happy playing groups don’t perform like the Cats did on Saturday against a winless team, especially with Searl’s farewell. But maybe I’m totally off the mark.

As someone else posted, word was he was gone 6 weeks or so back, but the wins. V Aspley and Gorillas look to have changed this.

I should clarify that the players leaving are supposedly FIFO or returning to Vic. My prior post reads like it is due to coaching appointment.
Erickson is flying into Horsham next year to play

Ok.. lets get things in the open .. some issues were addressed with the coach 6 to 7 weeks ago and rectified, ( signs of a club being on the ball ) ,, and winning those games against Aspley and the Grange had not much to do with the above,, fact is we have been injury ravaged in the 1st half of the season and the backend saw a number of senior players returning from injuries fielding our strongest line ups for some weeks.
I think the guy has done a great job imo with a list much more shallow then the past 4 or 5 years and so much youth , not enough senior experienced players oj the field come game day .And remember hes had big shoes to fill taking the reins over from coach Craig O Brien !!!
As for fly in fly out ,, nothing you can do about it ,, big bucks on offer and if one player has the right to do it , its Blake Erickson , his service to the club has been unreal .

Great job again Stu and well done
Big E.

Should all 1&2 play at Aspley first week of finals. I know Grange trying to get their Colts to Hickey Park before seniors.

I understand thought process behind it as they finished top and should have home final. But do like tradition of all major semis at one venue.

Before everyone jumps down my throat as Morningside have all 3 teams playing at Aspley and now Colts may have to go to Grange. It’s not that. Just think once you start changing for lower grades it opens up Pandora’s box throughout finals for someone to challenge it again with a home game.

Big E.

Should all 1&2 play at Aspley first week of finals. I know Grange trying to get their Colts to Hickey Park before seniors.

I understand thought process behind it as they finished top and should have home final. But do like tradition of all major semis at one venue.
Grange don’t play week one in the colts. They have the 2s at Redlands and seniors at home in week one

Big E.

Before everyone jumps down my throat as Morningside have all 3 teams playing at Aspley and now Colts may have to go to Grange. It’s not that. Just think once you start changing for lower grades it opens up Pandora’s box throughout finals for someone to challenge it again with a home game.

I think if you look at the fixture across the 3 grades this week, Grange have been screwed.

Their Reserves have finished 3rd, and play Surfers at Viccy Point - which strictly speaking is how it should be.

However, AFLQ have used their 'discretion' to do Palm Beach a favour and have their Colts playing at Grange, when it should be Sherwood vs Maroochydore at Grange.

Surely if you are doing favours, it should be to Grange who finished 3rd and if you can get them a home final - you should?

So in favour of keeping Palmy together, who finished lower than Grange in all 3 grades - Grange get split between Seniors & Reserves, while Palmy get the convenience of all 3 grades at Grange.

Surely the better solution would be for the Ressies game between Grange and Surfers to be played at Grange and the Palmy vs Broady game to be played at Vic Point?

This way Palmy could play Aspley in Colts and Broady in Reserves at Vic Point and Grange Seniors and Reserves both get to play at Grange (as they should as the higher ranking finisher in the 2 more senior grades)

I'm sure Maroochydore would prefer to play their Colts game at Grange, and I doubt Sherwood care whether they are at Vic Point or Grange as they only have one team playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big E.

Why should Grange been shown any favours. If their Colts wanted a home final their Seniors should have won the minor premiership. As a showpiece top 2 sides in each grade should play at same venue. Granges situation is not unique and I don’t recall clubs in previous years being shown favours. Don’t forget Grange colts haven’t beaten Morningside in 2024, they were beaten at home

Why should Grange been shown any favours. If their Colts wanted a home final their Seniors should have won the minor premiership. As a showpiece top 2 sides in each grade should play at same venue. Granges situation is not unique and I don’t recall clubs in previous years being shown favours. Don’t forget Grange colts haven’t beaten Morningside in 2024, they were beaten at home

Palm Beach were given a favour. Look at the Colts fixture.

You either don't touch it at all, or you favour the higher ranking teams. You can't pick and choose who to make exceptions for, and if you do, it should be the higher ranking team in the higher ranking grade.

can you imagine the obscenities being thrown out of Hickey Park this week then.... :)

Every year it becomes a bun fight as to who plays where etc etc. Senior sides always take precedence and then every side below them, irrespective of where they finish on the ladder, falls into line. Where possible it's tried to make sure that clubs that are travelling a long way don't have 2 sides playing at different ends of SEQ. If a side at reserves or colts level gets shafted because of it, so be it. Swings and roundabouts. Logic in this case is obviously that PBC in all 3 grades at same venue, Grange can get people to Hickey and RVP better than SP could. It's a tough call and yes, you are right with what "could have happened" but the reserves game is at a neutral venue. Gee I remember times when the 2's were playing at the home ground of the side you finished above! That was a hard pill to swallow.

Last edited:
Big E.

Morningside aren't playing this weekend are they mate?

My Grogan tips:

Hickey - Palm Beach
Fletcher - Sherwood

Smokies:

Fyfe - Labrador
McDonagh - Morningside

Rising Star:

Derrington - Labrador
Hude - Sherwood

Fletch is ineligible. Suspended :rolleyes:

Would be a travesty if he polled enough to win.

Having said that, I reckon Hickey in a canter from what I have seen

can you imagine the obscenities being thrown out of Hickey Park this week then.... :)

Every year it becomes a bun fight as to who plays where etc etc. Senior sides always take precedence and then every side below them, irrespective of where they finish on the ladder, falls into line. Where possible it's tried to make sure that clubs that are travelling a long way don't have 2 sides playing at different ends of SEQ. If a side at reserves or colts level gets shafted because of it, so be it. Swings and roundabouts. Logic in this case is obviously that PBC in all 3 grades at same venue, Grange can get people to Hickey and RVP better than SP could. It's a tough call and yes, you are right with what "could have happened" but the reserves game is at a neutral venue. Gee I remember times when the 2's were playing at the home ground of the side you finished above! That was a hard pill to swallow.
Pineapple Cup, 2006. All 3 Noosa teams made GF. Colts were the week before at Cooparaoo, Reserves were the Saturday at Zillmere and Seniors Sunday at Carrara against Western Magpies!

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back