QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

he was seriously good early, then faded mid season. They seemed to play him forward alot after the first 6-8 rounds - carrying an injury?

Chapman and Hammelman are hardly a huge list of Morningside Juniors. surely not claiming Rolls?

There are more Jindalee kids in the Redland side than there are from Morningside or Mt Gravatt!

Have a look at Morningside Qualifying final team. Not a single club junior in the 22!
I didn’t realise that. It’s an interesting one whereby having former club juniors is considered great club culture but at the end of the day the senior team is about having the best team playing to win premierships within the points and salary cap. (Apologies to Thommo is I’m raising a touchy subject on this current Morningside points).

they judging recruiting ability or coaching ability?

Reckon Maroochy coach did a good job given the list turnover there. There is spending your way out of a hole and developing/coaching way out.

Carse did a decent job given they lost 2 of the best 3 mids in the comp and had had a huge injury list.
Good question. What is the criteria for coach of the year?

Always difficult to judge coaches. Even at AFL level the easiest thing to do is select the premiership winning coach or one who has made it the GF at worst. It is such a grey area as to what makes a good / average coach and often it is the players who will tell you, not some outsider.
Doing the most with what on paper looks to be an average list is always a good indicator but even this judgement is very subjective.
Think Carse is a good selection - but the Panther's coach is as well.

Last edited:
I didn’t realise that. It’s an interesting one whereby having former club juniors is considered great club culture but at the end of the day the senior team is about having the best team playing to win premierships within the points and salary cap. (Apologies to Thommo is I’m raising a touchy subject on this current Morningside points).

Absolutely. They don't give out prizes for having lots of juniors, just means your recruitment team has failed.

I was merely responding to Doc's incorrect assertion that their opposition are full of Morningside (2) and Mt Gravatt juniors. The Redland team has heaps of local kids in it, some from Vic Point, but also plenty from their 'region'. They also have a few from Jindalee, which is just a hangover from NEAFL.

One thing he is correct on, is that the oppo to have more Morningside juniors than Morningside themselves.

Completely irrelevant, just a counter point to the claim from Doc

Always difficult to judge coaches. Even at AFL level the easiest thing to do is select the premiership winning coach or one who has made it the GF at worst. It is such a grey area as to what makes a good / average coach and often it is the players who will tell you, not some outsider.
Doing the most with what on paper looks to be an average list is always a good indicator but even this judgement is very subjective.
I agree but not sure I got answer in that.

Chapman and Hammelman are hardly a huge list of Morningside Juniors. surely not claiming Rolls?

There are more Jindalee kids in the Redland side than there are from Morningside or Mt Gravatt!

Have a look at Morningside Qualifying final team. Not a single club junior in the 22!
Do you have to be conceived and delivered at Esplen Oval to be considered a Morningside Junior ?

Jack Rolls played 12s-18s at morningside. Started out at coorparoo

Juniors is largely referred to as u8 to u11, with youth u12 to u16.

But guys like Bertoli-Simmonds, Rolls, Nelson, Pendlebury etc who were poached/enticed/directed by academy for their final 12-24 months as a junior/youth player are not really home grown Morningside players - which is exactly why everyone knows they did the dodgy with HBS and the VFL list

Everyone is different of course, but I personally would clarify a 'club junior' as someone who hasn't played anywhere else, or moved there in u12s or similar.

Fir the purposes of AFLQ, its a player that played 50+ games in junior/youth footy at that club. Of which there might be 1 in total in the Morningside senior team. (this is not a criticism either, its state league footy, not a junior development dick measuring contest)

Juniors is largely referred to as u8 to u11, with youth u12 to u16.

But guys like Bertoli-Simmonds, Rolls, Nelson, Pendlebury etc who were poached/enticed/directed by academy for their final 12-24 months as a junior/youth player are not really home grown Morningside players - which is exactly why everyone knows they did the dodgy with HBS and the VFL list

Everyone is different of course, but I personally would clarify a 'club junior' as someone who hasn't played anywhere else, or moved there in u12s or similar.

Fir the purposes of AFLQ, its a player that played 50+ games in junior/youth footy at that club. Of which there might be 1 in total in the Morningside senior team. (this is not a criticism either, its state league footy, not a junior development dick measuring contest)
So any kid that goes to Morningside after 12 years old is always poached? I reckon every club have kids that come from lower division clubs to QAFL Clubs.

I think if they have played Juniors or Youth for more than 4 years that is seen as a Club player.

Agree,, absolutely ... and do not forget Morningside have one of the largest number of registered junior players in Australia. How successful have they been at these junior levelsm ,,, like huge ,,, their Colts are in the play off on the weekend as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Panthers coach is the coach of the year for me

So let’s move on to the actual game itself
Should be a ripper
I’m tipping the Panthers in a close one and I think they could bring home the Reserves as well
Both sides well coached and their colts will have a red hot crack but Grange look the team to beat in the colts
Going to be a big day for the Panthers if all 3 teams get up

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So who wins the flag ?
Will Redlands cope physically after 2 straight hard games especially on saturday agsinst Aspley in hot conditions whilst Morningside have had a week off and go into the game fresh .or is this a negative ?

Redlands are seasomed campaigners in finals over the past few seasons with many of these players going again on Saturday .This will certainly be a advantage for them . Coach Phil Carse is now a very experienced coach as well in these big games { do you remember how good a player he was ,, geez he was a gun ) And having gun full forward Hammleman back is a huge plus ,, like he hadnt played for some 5 weeks , and comes in against Aspley and bags 40% of their goals .

Morningside have some very good players and a lot of big bodied guysl who have no issues playing the game physically which will be imperative in a grand final .They will need to counteract the supply to Hammleman and nullify Clay Cameron .
They are a very well coached side and follow game plans very well and are capable of kicking big scores as seen thru
out the season.

It is great to see the game being played at Brighton homes arena which from a ground size point of view provides a larger playing area surface compared to playing the game at Coorparoo ,,, this should provide a game with all the grand final intensity and pressure but will allow for some classic passages of footy ,, QAFL style.

So tipsters ,, whats your tip ,,,who and by how much /

See the QLD Division 2 - South Grand Final was played on Sunday at Broadbeachs home ground between Burleigh and oolangatta where Coolangatta won by some 2 goals plus ... my reason for noting is the crowd was apparentyl some 2000 people in attendance .... Thats a big crowd for this level ,, yes I know its 2 Gold Coast teams playing on a Sunday on the Gold Coast but still is a big crowd for this division

Can park in the train station multi level. That’s a short walk Stuy. But will cost you. Possibly $10.
Otherwise depending on how early u get there there is a free car park right next to ground near the admin building. It’s also attached to the train station but anyone can park in it.
Directly across road from ground there is also around 100+ car parks as a 3rd option. Free

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back