QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

So who wins the flag ?
Will Redlands cope physically after 2 straight hard games especially on saturday agsinst Aspley in hot conditions whilst Morningside have had a week off and go into the game fresh .or is this a negative ?

This is always an interesting one for me. If Redlands win they are labelled match hardened, if they lose they are tired from a tough campaign. The narrative is reflective of the result. Good luck to both teams!

I was at Brighton Homes on weekend for VFL Finals and the catering was very poor. Only had the bar open with food orders taken from there , with nothing else open.

I would hope they have all 3 bars open on Sunday and all the surrounding food outlets otherwise it will be complete disaster.

So any kid that goes to Morningside after 12 years old is always poached? I reckon every club have kids that come from lower division clubs to QAFL Clubs.

I think if they have played Juniors or Youth for more than 4 years that is seen as a Club player.

totally agree.

lost interest

any more insight than that? Was he yet another ex AFL player playing for a Brisbane club that got shithouse treatment from crowds, hierarchy etc? doesn't seem to be an issue for the ones on the GC. An interesting conversation point.

So let’s move on to the actual game itself
Should be a ripper
I’m tipping the Panthers in a close one and I think they could bring home the Reserves as well
Both sides well coached and their colts will have a red hot crack but Grange look the team to beat in the colts
Going to be a big day for the Panthers if all 3 teams get up

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Think Morningside a monty in the 2s

The senior game should be a great game, will come down to the fitness or otherwise of some key Redland players. I believe Malone is injured? Is Huddy fit? Will they bring in that Pakau guy for support? Hammelman 1 game in 2 months, but still all class. Is Brock Aston playing? Stallard apparently pretty banged up also. they are limping to the line, while Morningside appear ready to go and have 5+ Senior ready guys running around in the 2s that can easily step in. Will they play Lloyd? Any truth to the rumour that Downie was rubbed out?

Colts I would have said that Grange are a certainty, but the result from the weekend from Morningside shows they are powerful and will respond after the qualifying final where they were well beaten.

See the QLD Division 2 - South Grand Final was played on Sunday at Broadbeachs home ground between Burleigh and oolangatta where Coolangatta won by some 2 goals plus ... my reason for noting is the crowd was apparentyl some 2000 people in attendance .... Thats a big crowd for this level ,, yes I know its 2 Gold Coast teams playing on a Sunday on the Gold Coast but still is a big crowd for this division

Yep and Alex Hills vs Sandgate on the weekend in Div 2 North would have easily had 2,000+ also, football is strong at the lower levels.

Unfortunately the Caloundra / maroochy Div 3 game being played at Moreton bay - just a shame there isn't another really good venue on the coast for GF other than Fish rd. Not sure how many people will travel 120km down and back to watch it. If they get 2000 though that would be a win! Should be a decent game.

totally agree.

any more insight than that? Was he yet another ex AFL player playing for a Brisbane club that got shithouse treatment from crowds, hierarchy etc? doesn't seem to be an issue for the ones on the GC. An interesting conversation point.

The senior game should be a great game, will come down to the fitness or otherwise of some key Redland players. I believe Malone is injured? Is Huddy fit? Will they bring in that Pakau guy for support? Hammelman 1 game in 2 months, but still all class. Is Brock Aston playing? Stallard apparently pretty banged up also. they are limping to the line, while Morningside appear ready to go and have 5+ Senior ready guys running around in the 2s that can easily step in. Will they play Lloyd? Any truth to the rumour that Downie was rubbed out?

Colts I would have said that Grange are a certainty, but the result from the weekend from Morningside shows they are powerful and will respond after the qualifying final where they were well beaten.

Yep and Alex Hills vs Sandgate on the weekend in Div 2 North would have easily had 2,000+ also, football is strong at the lower levels.
Was at Sandgate on Monday night - gee whiz it's a great set up there now with 3 ovals and the clubhouse / dressing sheds set up and all the parking bitumened now. Ground in good nick too. Looked great.

Does Maroochydore fields have a curfew?

One thing Moreton Bay has going for it is it's in the scrub and not backing onto houses, especially if grand finals run late like they did last year the neighbours might not appreciate it too much.

I guess you also have to be fair to the Brisbane sides should they make it ;)

Maybe a goer for the sunny coast comp next year. Or the new fields they're building at Aura?

Does Maroochydore fields have a curfew?

One thing Moreton Bay has going for it is it's in the scrub and not backing onto houses, especially if grand finals run late like they did last year the neighbours might not appreciate it too much.

I guess you also have to be fair to the Brisbane sides should they make it ;)

Maybe a goer for the sunny coast comp next year. Or the new fields they're building at Aura?
Couldn't be played at Fish rd due to home ground advantage I would have thought and yes, MB is central to the northern comp so no doubt the reason.

I went out and had a look at that Colts game.

Morningside Seniors must be going very well (and obviously they are) if Ben Lillico not getting a run in the 1s!

Kid is a genuine star. Another lad called Frasier Lay goes pretty well too, as does Oscar Tanks. Seton also looks like a talent. Very high quality game of footy, skill level was elite despite it being so one-sided.

Couldn't be played at Fish rd due to home ground advantage I would have thought and yes, MB is central to the northern comp so no doubt the reason.
Might not help crowd numbers with AFL final on at same time either SMY!
I was hoping Nth Shore might be the venue!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

totally agree.

Not sure why Lions played Lloyd on weekend apart from wanting to win. But not good for their development when they keep some good kids out to play a 31 year old that has retired and really only aligned with VFL side to try and get picked up in AFL mid season draft.

So local footy misses out on a good ex AFL player playing in a QAFL GF because he copped 3 weeks suspension.

From a development point of view would have liked to see Wyatt Greenway play VFL in lieu of Lloyd.

They are experimenting with the qafl gf venue this year. They want to see if there is a decent crowd, they do it every 5 years. Look at the 2000s they went from coorparoo as being a lock then they tried the Gabba which failed. Then they gave Carrara a go and it was ok and went back to coorparoo which was great. Then they experimented with Redlands which wasn’t great too be honest because of location and ground parking. Fast forward it 8 years of yeronga they went to Carrara again for an experiment. Now it’s at the new lions base 5 years later

The qafl should be played at grounds like coorparoo or yeronga, this new place is in the middle of nowhere

They are experimenting with the qafl gf venue this year. They want to see if there is a decent crowd, they do it every 5 years. Look at the 2000s they went from coorparoo as being a lock then they tried the Gabba which failed. Then they gave Carrara a go and it was ok and went back to coorparoo which was great. Then they experimented with Redlands which wasn’t great too be honest because of location and ground parking. Fast forward it 8 years of yeronga they went to Carrara again for an experiment. Now it’s at the new lions base 5 years later

The qafl should be played at grounds like coorparoo or yeronga, this new place is in the middle of nowhere
Damo , sorry mate but Yeronga is a joke and Coorparoo ok but the ground is so small in surface area ,,,
Southport is a great faciliy for a QAFL grand final .. and thats Gold Coast ,, no one will go if theres a brisbane or Sunny coast side in it ,,, well think back only 3 years ago when Broadbeach played Maroochydore ,, there were some 3500 plus in attendance ...
So it will be very interesting to see the turn out on the weekend at Brighton Homes Arena with 2 Brisbane sides in the main game...not to mentiom its on a Sunday

Supporters of teams that aren’t in the gf won’t go. Unless you are a full on local footy nuff like myself, you wouldn’t travel to games like this where it is. For this league the venue should central to where the teams are from, they would have a fair idea who is likely to play in the gf before finals. This venue isn’t ideal for anyone and the day is also dumb

Damo , sorry mate but Yeronga is a joke and Coorparoo ok but the ground is so small in surface area ,,,
Southport is a great faciliy for a QAFL grand final .. and thats Gold Coast ,, no one will go if theres a brisbane or Sunny coast side in it ,,, well think back only 3 years ago when Broadbeach played Maroochydore ,, there were some 3500 plus in attendance ...
So it will be very interesting to see the turn out on the weekend at Brighton Homes Arena with 2 Brisbane sides in the main game...not to mentiom its on a Sunday
Hear what u are saying ,, thats why it will be very interesting to see the attandance come game day and I agree even more interesting because its on a Sunday

Hear what u are saying ,, thats why it will be very interesting to see the attandance come game day and I agree even more interesting because its on a Sunday
Also only 5 clubs competing in the 3 grades ,, Morningside in all grades , Maroochydore in the ressies and Grange in the Colts ... In saying that thers is no other finals on in lower grades so that may attract a good number of spectators from the lower divisions as well ..
Will be very interesting as the last 2 grand finals at Coorparoo have had crowds of about 2000 ( fairly poor )

Unfortunately the Caloundra / maroochy Div 3 game being played at Moreton bay - just a shame there isn't another really good venue on the coast for GF other than Fish rd. Not sure how many people will travel 120km down and back to watch it. If they get 2000 though that would be a win! Should be a decent game.
Mate if they get 2000 to the game, I'll wear a Maroochydore jumper in Hastings St singing the Caloundra theme song!

lol ,, I tend to agree but in saying that dont forget both Morningside and Redlands have large supporter numbers
At the end of the day will the individual supporter thats a regular to home games during the season bother to travel to Springfield lakes ,,, as I said in a prior post the gf at Southport saw a big crowd as many Maroochydore supporters made the long trip as well

lol ,, I tend to agree but in saying that dont forget both Morningside and Redlands have large supporter numbers
Sorry Stuy - think Switching was referring to the caloundra v maroochy div 3 GF this weekend - I shouldn't have crossed over competitions! :)

BTW think they will easily get 2000 to the QAFL final. Albeit Redlands is a long way from Springfield - needed magpies to pull their finger out this year... lol

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back