QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of the day will the individual supporter thats a regular to home games during the season bother to travel to Springfield lakes ,,, as I said in a prior post the gf at Southport saw a big crowd as many Maroochydore supporters made the long trip as well
Thats true - it was a decent crowd in 2021. Bit of excitement around that one though with 2nd year in it and a fairytale finals series. Helped get a few extras along...

Also only 5 clubs competing in the 3 grades ,, Morningside in all grades , Maroochydore in the ressies and Grange in the Colts ... In saying that thers is no other finals on in lower grades so that may attract a good number of spectators from the lower divisions as well ..
Will be very interesting as the last 2 grand finals at Coorparoo have had crowds of about 2000 ( fairly poor )
I know it’s been said several times before but when two Brisbane sides are playing off like now,play it at Grange.Its becomes a cauldron like atmosphere,great viewing areas,family friendly,great canteen and plenty of bar space! Parking an issue but the whole suburban street parking has a nostalgic element to it(does for me😂)and it’s close enough for all local footy nuts to get too!Play it at 2pm on a Saturday and everyone gets home to watch the GWS v Lions final! Unfortunately the 4hour and 15 minute round trip on Sunday afternoon has minimal if any appeal.Will definitely watch on the live stream though!

I know it’s been said several times before but when two Brisbane sides are playing off like now,play it at Grange.Its becomes a cauldron like atmosphere,great viewing areas,family friendly,great canteen and plenty of bar space! Parking an issue but the whole suburban street parking has a nostalgic element to it(does for me😂)and it’s close enough for all local footy nuts to get too!Play it at 2pm on a Saturday and everyone gets home to watch the GWS v Lions final! Unfortunately the 4hour and 15 minute round trip on Sunday afternoon has minimal if any appeal.Will definitely watch on the live stream though!
You must not have been to Hickey Park lately. The surface is in very average condition. Always is at this time of year due to the success of the club and the number of players they cater for. Couldn't play it there.

Plus they need to pick a venue some time out, and if Grange made the GF everyone would blow up.
If you want a big neutral ground in Brisbane, O'Callaghan Park at Zillmere would be ideal.
Sunday for the grand final is a joke. Especially when the fixture said it would be Saturday. I don't mind it being at Springfield because the ground and facilities should be fitting for a State League grand final. But when you have teams from Noosa to Palm Beach, there's always a chance the GF venue will be miles from someone.

You must not have been to Hickey Park lately. The surface is in very average condition. Always is at this time of year due to the success of the club and the number of players they cater for. Couldn't play it there.

Plus they need to pick a venue some time out, and if Grange made the GF everyone would blow up.
If you want a big neutral ground in Brisbane, O'Callaghan Park at Zillmere would be ideal.
Sunday for the grand final is a joke. Especially when the fixture said it would be Saturday. I don't mind it being at Springfield because the ground and facilities should be fitting for a State League grand final. But when you have teams from Noosa to Palm Beach, there's always a chance the GF venue will be miles from someone.
Yep no worries have no problem with Zillmere either who were once a mighty QAFL club! Was looking at details regarding the SANFL Grand Final,at the Adelaide oval,ticketing through ticketek on line(approx $34-$40 for an adult) corporate box seating and catering available, an after party with top line DJ post game and on a Sunday also!
Let’s hope as a supposeably ‘State League’ competition we are building to this starting with Brighton Homes arena this year! At present I’d place our competition in the very good metropolitan/country Victorian standard and not sure we’d get many paying over $15.00 for Grand Final entry! Always hard to compare standards and pretty sure back in the 80s(when no Lions existed) the QAFL Grand Finals were played on a Sunday at the Gabba in front of fantastic crowds!

SANFL played all their finals at Adelaide Oval so just another comparison between state leagues showing how far we are behind them. WAFL also played at Optus Stadium and even Tassie play their GF at major venue.

Lions AFLW playing at home Friday night I think would probably be reason the GF got pushed to Sunday so they had time to clean place up and ground staff can address surface.

It should be at Gabba but again the costs would be the issue. But funny how other State Competitions have it worked out but not ours. Just another let down or slap in face for QLD Footy.

Not sure why Lions played Lloyd on weekend apart from wanting to win. But not good for their development when they keep some good kids out to play a 31 year old that has retired and really only aligned with VFL side to try and get picked up in AFL mid season draft.

So local footy misses out on a good ex AFL player playing in a QAFL GF because he copped 3 weeks suspension.

From a development point of view would have liked to see Wyatt Greenway play VFL in lieu of Lloyd.

Can't have it both ways though. Lloyd is heavily discounted on points for being VFL listed, then you complain about him playing VFL? If the vFL system was fair dinkum, and players get heavy discounted for the VFL listing, then they take Greenaway for the VFL prelim now Lloyd is out. Maybe even Bertoli Simmonds...? (didn't know Lloyd was suspended)

They are experimenting with the qafl gf venue this year. They want to see if there is a decent crowd, they do it every 5 years. Look at the 2000s they went from coorparoo as being a lock then they tried the Gabba which failed. Then they gave Carrara a go and it was ok and went back to coorparoo which was great. Then they experimented with Redlands which wasn’t great too be honest because of location and ground parking. Fast forward it 8 years of yeronga they went to Carrara again for an experiment. Now it’s at the new lions base 5 years later

The qafl should be played at grounds like coorparoo or yeronga, this new place is in the middle of nowhere

Yeronga is a joke for a QAFL GF, should never be there again.

They should just have Moreton Bay, Brighton Homes and Southport all on hold and then make the call once they know who is in it.

At the end of the day will the individual supporter thats a regular to home games during the season bother to travel to Springfield lakes ,,, as I said in a prior post the gf at Southport saw a big crowd as many Maroochydore supporters made the long trip as well

think you're selling people short. Surely if you attend most home games, then you are going to go to the Grand Final, no matter where it is!

Agree Damo - it's about creating an atmosphere - smaller suburban venues with good facilities much better for a QAFL GF imo. If you get 4000 to BHA then that is much better than 8000 at the GABBA - SANFL can get away with Adelaide Oval bc potentially 30k will roll up to a SANFL GF

Yep no worries have no problem with Zillmere either who were once a mighty QAFL club! Was looking at details regarding the SANFL Grand Final,at the Adelaide oval,ticketing through ticketek on line(approx $34-$40 for an adult) corporate box seating and catering available, an after party with top line DJ post game and on a Sunday also!
Let’s hope as a supposeably ‘State League’ competition we are building to this starting with Brighton Homes arena this year! At present I’d place our competition in the very good metropolitan/country Victorian standard and not sure we’d get many paying over $15.00 for Grand Final entry! Always hard to compare standards and pretty sure back in the 80s(when no Lions existed) the QAFL Grand Finals were played on a Sunday at the Gabba in front of fantastic crowds!
A lot of the Grand Finals in the 1980's were actually played at Windsor Park - with the Mayne clubhouse pumping on Grafton Street.

For O'Callaghan Park - it would be a great choice, except there is only one elevated coaches box. So it wouldn't be considered. Give us a few years to fix a few things and it would be a magic venue.

Can't have it both ways though. Lloyd is heavily discounted on points for being VFL listed, then you complain about him playing VFL? If the vFL system was fair dinkum, and players get heavy discounted for the VFL listing, then they take Greenaway for the VFL prelim now Lloyd is out. Maybe even Bertoli Simmonds...? (didn't know Lloyd was suspended)

Yeronga is a joke for a QAFL GF, should never be there again.

They should just have Moreton Bay, Brighton Homes and Southport all on hold and then make the call once they know who is in it.

think you're selling people short. Surely if you attend most home games, then you are going to go to the Grand Final, no matter where it is!
Weren’t having it both ways Miller. Lloyd got put on VFL list so he could play there and local footy to get up to speed for mid season draft where Lions were keen to add onto their list and we would not have seen him.

One AFL rejected it then the call was he will just play local footy in between his VFL coaching commitments. Then because they want to win a final they rolled him out. Hadn’t played VFL for at least 8-10 weeks I reckon and probably played 3 games locally.

Just reckon it’s a huge slur on these kids they should be playing. They wonder why they leaving QLD in droves.

You definitely correct there.

Suns have rolled out about 8-12 kids this year, at least 6 of them only 17 and 2025 draft - all playing VFL.

Meanwhile the Lions running around with mature aged siblings and other weird VFL recruits, when they could have been playing Gallop, Greenaway, McFayden, Gilder, Annable, Gillet etc etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weren’t having it both ways Miller. Lloyd got put on VFL list so he could play there and local footy to get up to speed for mid season draft where Lions were keen to add onto their list and we would not have seen him.

One AFL rejected it then the call was he will just play local footy in between his VFL coaching commitments. Then because they want to win a final they rolled him out. Hadn’t played VFL for at least 8-10 weeks I reckon and probably played 3 games locally.

Just reckon it’s a huge slur on these kids they should be playing. They wonder why they leaving QLD in droves.
Somewhat agree with you. Mainly re kids should be playing

But if he wasn't VFL listed (and available for VFL selection) then he would be how many points?

They are experimenting with the qafl gf venue this year. They want to see if there is a decent crowd, they do it every 5 years. Look at the 2000s they went from coorparoo as being a lock then they tried the Gabba which failed. Then they gave Carrara a go and it was ok and went back to coorparoo which was great. Then they experimented with Redlands which wasn’t great too be honest because of location and ground parking. Fast forward it 8 years of yeronga they went to Carrara again for an experiment. Now it’s at the new lions base 5 years later

The qafl should be played at grounds like coorparoo or yeronga, this new place is in the middle of nowhere
Damo, I’m with you I have been to Coorparoo a few times a great venue, parking is only a few streets walk, Morningside around the corner Redland 30 minutes away. Brighton Homes Arena I hear is a parking nightmare (please enlighten me about this) and a long way from any of the clubs competing in this year’s final series

Just seen Morningside and Moreton Bay have been provided QAFLW provisional licences for 2025.

Great for both clubs and those women’s programs. Might eventually open that spot up for Moreton Bay men’s team at some point to make the jump to QAFL (would be years away). Especially as there has been talk on here about Moreton Bay joining the QAFL based on locality.

would probably back in the strategy around development of (listed) players of the Lions over the last 4-5 years than the Suns to be fair
In what way Lensen? Reville , Brain onto AFL list?

Few cloggers there as well in counter argument which I think was where Miller was referring to.

In what way Lensen? Reville , Brain onto AFL list?

Few cloggers there as well in counter argument which I think was where Miller was referring to.

Agreed - not that ive watched closely but based on stats Kyle Dunkley doesnt exactly set the world on fire at QAFL level yet is the first picked for Lions VFL week after week. Lockie Rayner was a fair way off it too when he was playing

think he means playing the more mature top ups helps develop their young listed players better, which is a reasonable point if you look at the evidence of listed players and their development in the last 5 years.
But don’t they have mature players already on the AFL list like Fort, Lyon, Gardiner etc playing plenty of VFL that provide that? Plus players like Prior, Sharp, Robertson have been on list for long enough to support younger players.

I can understand them playing Dunkley, Martin, Manly for a few years if they think they close or what they need. But must admit someone like Taj Abberley has been there since rolling out of Academy and probably played 7 years of NEAFL/VFL. To me if you not drafting him he is only taking a spot of another kid to show his talent.

Damo, I’m with you I have been to Coorparoo a few times a great venue, parking is only a few streets walk, Morningside around the corner Redland 30 minutes away. Brighton Homes Arena I hear is a parking nightmare (please enlighten me about this) and a long way from any of the clubs competing in this year’s final series
Not really a parking "nightmare"... and tbf catching a train if living in Bris probably the way to go

think he means playing the more mature top ups helps develop their young listed players better, which is a reasonable point if you look at the evidence of listed players and their development in the last 5 years.
yeah, the point was they clearly (and imo, rightly) see the VFL side as more important to create some level of consistency and experience to let their listed players develop to play the system they want, which is much much harder when rotating kids through who might be playing for their 3rd or 4th team that season

I was told by fellow posters just 2 or 3 days ago that parking is fine at Brighton as Im planning to drive ,,, can someone elaborate please
Stu you will be right mate plenty around the area even school across the road. There is a vacant block one side of ground and train station parking the other side. You will be 100% right

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back