QFA Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

All very interesting discussion regarding this competition moving forward, however has somewhat taken away from what a cracking weekend of local footy it was.
Went out to watch the Kings host Mayne and was a cracking encounter. Cooparoo jumped the tigers early with the tigers clawing there way back however the Southsiders were just to good in the end. Although Mayne missing both Quinn brothers so wouldn't read too much into it from an overall standpoint.
Swan playing would have been a treat for the nambour locals and spiced up an otherwise uninteresting game.
Interesting to see Moreton take one over Caloundra.
The pumas and uni looked a cracker, uni up at half time. Did anyone go out? Assuming the more experienced heads of springwood prevailed over the younger uni side.
Hinterland Vs Uni this week will be extremely interesting, along with mayne vs springwood, wondering if quinn will be back?
Looks like those two will meet again in the 2nd week of finals. But agreed, what a great round of footy.

UQ and Hinterland will battle for 4th and 5th spot. And the distance between both teams, a home final will be an even bigger factor.

Hinterland has UQ followed by Springwood, Caloundra, Coorparoo and then Moreton Bay.

UQ has hinterland, Mayne, Beenleigh, Moreton and Springwood.

UQ seem to have an easier draw due to Beenleigh and Moreton but with both teams on same wins. UQ having Beenleigh could be a big percentage booster.

Not sure Springwood can get into second place but still a strong chance. They won’t fall below third place anyway.

All very interesting discussion regarding this competition moving forward, however has somewhat taken away from what a cracking weekend of local footy it was.
Went out to watch the Kings host Mayne and was a cracking encounter. Cooparoo jumped the tigers early with the tigers clawing there way back however the Southsiders were just to good in the end. Although Mayne missing both Quinn brothers so wouldn't read too much into it from an overall standpoint.
Swan playing would have been a treat for the nambour locals and spiced up an otherwise uninteresting game.
Interesting to see Moreton take one over Caloundra.
The pumas and uni looked a cracker, uni up at half time. Did anyone go out? Assuming the more experienced heads of springwood prevailed over the younger uni side.
Hinterland Vs Uni this week will be extremely interesting, along with mayne vs springwood, wondering if quinn will be back?
Looked like the kings had a few missing as well as mayne so may well have been evened out. I watched the footage back on YouTube and thought coops looked to be in control for most of the day even with Mayne having a few moments here and there where they looked like they would come back.

Pumas got over Uni in the end, would argue that the pumas inaccuracy kept UQ a bit closer than it probably should’ve been but to UQ’s credit as they tend to do at Lowe oval they put up a hell of a fight and I’m sure there would’ve been a bit of worry in the pumas camp.

Not sure on Quinn, would’ve thought he’d be back after the Rep round bye but maybe that hammy is a bit worse than expected?

Looks like those two will meet again in the 2nd week of finals. But agreed, what a great round of footy.

UQ and Hinterland will battle for 4th and 5th spot. And the distance between both teams, a home final will be an even bigger factor.

Hinterland has UQ followed by Springwood, Caloundra, Coorparoo and then Moreton Bay.

UQ has hinterland, Mayne, Beenleigh, Moreton and Springwood.

UQ seem to have an easier draw due to Beenleigh and Moreton but with both teams on same wins. UQ having Beenleigh could be a big percentage booster.

Not sure Springwood can get into second place but still a strong chance. They won’t fall below third place anyway.
Does look that way at the moment that Coops and Mayne will meet week 2, wouldn’t go against the Pumas just yet though, each of their premiership runs seems to be about this time of year they seem to flick a switch. No guarantee they’ll do it this year though , especially with long term injuries to Friis and Keeble ruling them out for the year. Getting to 2nd will be difficult as they have probably as hard a 3 game stretch you can have in this comp, Mayne @ Mayne, Hinterland @ Hinterland, then Coorparoo. If they win all three of those or even 2/3 all of a sudden you start to look at them at getting things right at the point end of the year once again.

Top 5 definitely solidified but as you said massive game this week between hinterland and UQ, getting Beenleigh so late in the year with how decimated they are is a blessing for percentage. Game being played at Uq I will give the edge to UQ, hinterland exceptionally strong at home, just not quite the same away. Reckon it’ll be a ripping finals series once we get to it.

In response to a couple of comments from the start of the week:
Without doubt, there can not be a single criterion for the elevation (or creation) of Clubs. A mix of requirements and objectives should be sought. Off the top of my head:
  • Location and strategic relevance
  • Financial viability, including business structures and revenue opportunities
  • Sustainability
  • Facilities
  • Membership & community engagement
  • Junior pathway (both direct & indirect)
  • Recent on-field performance
Some of these items will be more difficult to measure or quantify than others - but I expect they would be taken into consideration at least.
I also note that on the AFLQ website, the AFLQ Community Rules & Procedures document has two references to the "Six Core Pillars" - but I can't find that supplementary document within their website. Anyone know where it is? I imagine it is quite important.

footywizard1999 Yeah, I went out to Lowe Park last Saturday.
Bear in mind that I was there supporting University. Overall, I reckon it was a brave effort by Uni – but ultimately, Springwood's experience helped claim the points.
Until late in the second quarter, I felt Uni were contending with Springwood very well, leading by a couple of goals. But then Bang! Three injuries in the space of ten minutes before half time wrecked their bench completely. Another injury early in the third quarter, Springwood opened up a handy lead, and it felt like this game was quickly going to get away from the Red Lions.
However, to their credit, Uni stuck to the task, reducing the margin late in the game. It almost felt as if an unlikely result could occur.
The scoreline may suggest that inaccuracy kept Uni in the game – although, that would undersell the tenacity of the fatigued visitors. To their credit, Springwood kicked truly with some exceptional set shots.
I doubt any club will underestimate Springwood in any clash. They are still a good side and represent a threat to all challengers this year. By the same token, the performances of Uni this year have been very encouraging.

In response to a couple of comments from the start of the week:
Without doubt, there can not be a single criterion for the elevation (or creation) of Clubs. A mix of requirements and objectives should be sought. Off the top of my head:
  • Location and strategic relevance
  • Financial viability, including business structures and revenue opportunities
  • Sustainability
  • Facilities
  • Membership & community engagement
  • Junior pathway (both direct & indirect)
  • Recent on-field performance
Some of these items will be more difficult to measure or quantify than others - but I expect they would be taken into consideration at least.
I also note that on the AFLQ website, the AFLQ Community Rules & Procedures document has two references to the "Six Core Pillars" - but I can't find that supplementary document within their website. Anyone know where it is? I imagine it is quite important.
The 6 pillars is a reference doc I’ve always found. No club is kept to the mantra espoused in the doc but it’s a good doc for aflq to reference when needed

The 6 pillars is a reference doc I’ve always found. No club is kept to the mantra espoused in the doc but it’s a good doc for aflq to reference when needed
smy1305 I did a Google search & found it. Not the actual document per se - but a single page reference to it contained within a related document. (I remember seeing this over a decade ago - but maybe I ought to save it now.)
Thanks.

Not a bad doc Toucan imo and it provides scaffold for clubs wanting to push up tiers.

In reality a lot of the time the writing is on the wall for clubs but they hang on by their fingernails. Which is totally fair.

The population explosion in south bris and north bris should really move more clubs out to those areas. My biggest issue is junior clubs being allowed to turn into senior clubs when nearby senior clubs are floundering with numbers. I think aflq have metrics they have to hit from melb HQ but there is not a lot of aligning of stars bn population growth and bums on seats from Melbourne.

As a rough guide think there should always be approx 40% less senior clubs than junior clubs maybe even less. Bc we know what the natural attrition rate is no matter how good a job footy ppl do

Remove this Banner Ad

Back