QLD U18's State Championships start today

Remove this Banner Ad

goldcoast

Debutant
Aug 13, 2006
goldcoast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anyone interested the first games of U18's championships start today at Cooparoo. 2 games today at 5pm & 7pm.

Saturday have 2 games at Carrara before North & Carlton, so if anyone interested get down early and see what QLD has to offer.

Wednesday at Zillmere (I think)

Finals are following Sunday 18th at Coopooroo.

Hopefully some lads stand up and get noticed like last years incredible QLD draft & rookie's.

Anyone interested the first games of U18's championships start today at Cooparoo. 2 games today at 5pm & 7pm.

Saturday have 2 games at Carrara before North & Carlton, so if anyone interested get down early and see what QLD has to offer.

Wednesday at Zillmere (I think)

Finals are following Sunday 18th at Coopooroo.

Hopefully some lads stand up and get noticed like last years incredible QLD draft & rookie's.

I'll be there tonight and next Wednesday supporting the Bushies!

Still plenty of talent on show from all sides so it should be a great carnival.

Official Scores from www.aflq.com.au
GAME ONE

Gold Coast Stingrays 11.15.81 def. Western Taipans 5.4.34

Goalkickers: Stingrays: Mitchell 4, Bath 2, Look 2, Zorco 1, Kelly 1 Dienjes 1. Taipans: Holman 1, Morris 1, Tagell 1, Ritchie 1, Orreal 1.

Best: Stingrays: Dienjes, Mitchell, Boston, Stewart, Zorco, Perkins
Taipans: Friis, Holman, Jones, Davis.

GAME TWO

South Eastern Bushrangers 18.15.123 def Suncoast Power 2.2.14

Goalkickers: Bushrangers: Savage 3, Jamieson 2, Gibson 2, Enright 2, Webb 2, Pantic 2, Smouha 1, McGuiness 1, Bishop 1, Hampson 1, Daikin 1. Power: Reid 2.

Best: Bushrangers: Savage, Enright, Tarrant, Bishop, McGuiness, Jamieson. Power: Jordan, Darcy, Lavis, Allan-Sympson.

Round 2 Matches
Starts times for Round 2 matches at Carrara on Saturday have been brought forward from the original advertised times to accommodate the 6.10pm NAB Cup semi-final between the Kangaroos and Carlton. Details are:-

1pm – Raiders v Power
3pm – Stingrays v Kookaburras

Allan-Sympson plays for the Bushrangers not Sun Coast.

Morpheous,what's the big snoozer's name no 20 blonde hair at FF. Just wanted to check how many goals he kicked. Watched the first half and very impressive the pressure they applied.

The stingrays had a good win, just took a while to kick straight. The only chance the two can meet is in the finals hopefully grand final, as it was only a kick the difference at Carrara the other week.

Were you at that practice game at Carrara and if so was that the same 25 squad as last night or were there some inclusions.

No25 Bishop looks like he likes the tough footy, thought his presence made a few sunny coast boys look up a bit.

Rhys Magin from Sunny coast looked like the only one from their team that had poise and class.

Morpheous,what's the big snoozer's name no 20 blonde hair at FF. Just wanted to check how many goals he kicked. Watched the first half and very impressive the pressure they applied.

The stingrays had a good win, just took a while to kick straight. The only chance the two can meet is in the finals hopefully grand final, as it was only a kick the difference at Carrara the other week.

Were you at that practice game at Carrara and if so was that the same 25 squad as last night or were there some inclusions.

No25 Bishop looks like he likes the tough footy, thought his presence made a few sunny coast boys look up a bit.

Rhys Magin from Sunny coast looked like the only one from their team that had poise and class.

The name escapes me at the moment but I will get back to you when I find the program.

The Stingrays took the foot off the pedal a little bit towards the end otherwise it could have been a lot bigger score.

I was at the practice game, last nights squad was 22 like all other clubs so three players missed out but one in the squad (Matt Thompson) had to pull out.

Billy Bishop is a good player, normally plays Rugby during the year.

GAME 1 at COORPAROO.

Northern Raiders 7.0, 13.2, 17.3, 21.3 (129) d Suncoast Power 1.0, 2.1, 3.2, 5.5 (35).

Goals: Raiders: Rogerson 8, Allan 3, Devers 2, Craft 1, Hill 1, Nash 1, Dewar 1, Black 1, Thompson 1, Brady 1. Power: Reid 2, Somers 1, Kelly 1, Tyson 1.

Best: Raiders: Rogerson, Scott, Devers, Daye, Nash, Hill. Power: Somers, Cupper, Heppell, Magin, Lavis, Reid, Tyson.

GAME 2 at CARRARA

Country Kookaburras 4.4, 6.5, 8.7, 11.11 (77) d Gold Coast Stingrays 2.1, 3.5, 5.8, 7.11 (53).

Goals: Kookaburras: Rudolph 5, Hanran 2, Bray 2, Pinder 2. Stingrays: Zorko 3, Mitchell 2, Cooke, Dienjes.

Best: Kookaburras: Roughsey, Mostert, Rudolph, Passfield, Joshiah. Stingrays: Headland, Stewart, Zorko.

In round 3 matches at O’Callaghan Park, Zillmere on Wednesday, the Western Taipans will meet the Kookaburras at 5pm, followed by the South-East Bushrangers and the Raiders at 7pm.

Watch out Bushrangers! Kookaburras are the real deal.Bushrangers had their full squad vs Stingrays at Carrara prac match. Very little between both sides, although I understand Stingrays had one or 2 key players resting that match. Anyone can win this carny, and my smokey is now Kookaburras.
Note that Zorko was in the best players again today. I know the Lions' Brisbane talent scout thinks highly of him.
Number 20 For Bushrangers name is Webb. Very tall "rookie search" player,still very green, turns 19 this year and kicked 2 goals at F_F. against Sunshine Coast.
Also impressed with Morphous' younger brother (tough as nails), and along with Campbell was close to the best in an even display for Bushrangers in Game one against Sunshine Coast.

Kookaburas were good yesterday, but I think whoever wins out of Raiders & Bushies will be this years winners. Watching the running game of Bushis in the first half against Sunny Coast was more impressive than Kookies yesterday.

Stingrays I don't believe could play much worse and probably had two opportunities in the second half to get back into the game and win, but couldn't quite get back in front. I'm sure the powers of QLD footy would be happy as Stingrays have won last 3 under 18s championships.

Agree with Zorko, very smart player, been out for a year and was cming back to good form yesterday, and will continue to get better over the coming months.

Watch out Bushrangers! Kookaburras are the real deal.Bushrangers had their full squad vs Stingrays at Carrara prac match. Very little between both sides, although I understand Stingrays had one or 2 key players resting that match. Anyone can win this carny, and my smokey is now Kookaburras.
Note that Zorko was in the best players again today. I know the Lions' Brisbane talent scout thinks highly of him.
Number 20 For Bushrangers name is Webb. Very tall "rookie search" player,still very green, turns 19 this year and kicked 2 goals at F_F. against Sunshine Coast.
Also impressed with Morphous' younger brother (tough as nails), and along with Campbell was close to the best in an even display for Bushrangers in Game one against Sunshine Coast.

I thought Campbell was quiet as compared to usual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morphous,
Did you go today and if so do you have the results from both games?

Cheers

GAME 1

Country Kookaburras 3.0, 9.1, 10.5, 14.9 (93) def. Western Taipans 4.2, 5.4, 8.5, 11.5 (71).

Goalkickers: Kookaburras: Tom Rudolph 5, Justin Myers 2, Zac Chimes 1, Cameron Josiah 1, Stanis Susuve 1, Bayden Crathern 1, Clint Maltby 1, Ashley Sharrock 1, Charlie Dixon 1. Taipans: Brandon Morris 3, Nick Martin 2, Adam Spackman 1, Ben Heckendorf 1, Ryan Holman 1, Matthew Davis 1, Steven Webster 1, Jake Orreal 1.

Best: Kookaburras: Cameron Josiah, Ali Pinda, Michael Walters, Tom Rudolph,
Justin Myers, Ronnie Tamwoy. Taipans: Ryan Holman, Mtichell Page, Ben
Heckendorf, Steven Webster, Nick Martin.

GAME 2

South Eastern Bushrangers 1.4, 5.7, 10.7, 13.8 (86) def Northern Raiders 2.2, 2.4, 2.5, 5.7 (37).

Goalkickers: Bushrangers: Ben Gibson 2, Daniel Savage 2, Blake Wallis 2, Ryan Pantic 2, Jamie Hackett 1, Mitch Enright 1, Luke Dakin 1, Billy Bishop 1, Nik McGuiness 1. Raiders: Pat Allan 2, Pat Devers 1, Shane Rogerson 1, Daniel Brittain 1.

Best: Bushrangers: Mitch Enright, Guy Tarrant, Jamie Hackett, Nik McGuiness,
Daniel Savage, Blake Wallis. Raiders: Joe Daye, Pat Devers, Alex Craft, Shane
Rogerson, Reece Toye, David Hill.

The draw for the final round of matches at Coorparoo on Sunday is:-
Game 1 – Play-Off for 5th: Western Taipans vs. Suncoast Power – 12noon.
Game 2 – Grand Final - Country Kookaburras vs. South East Bushrangers – 2pm
Game 3 – Play-Off for 3rd - Gold Coast Stingrays vs. Northern Raiders – 4pm

Morphous,

will be watching most of the GF tomorrow, as the Stingrays are on last, what number should we look out for your brother, see how he goes. Be interesting contest but the country ran out of legs last two games, so I think the bushies might have the fitness and intensity and will probably win the championship.
will see tomorrow.

Cheers

Morphous,

will be watching most of the GF tomorrow, as the Stingrays are on last, what number should we look out for your brother, see how he goes. Be interesting contest but the country ran out of legs last two games, so I think the bushies might have the fitness and intensity and will probably win the championship.
will see tomorrow.

Cheers

Hes no 8. I think the Bushies will win but look at how Country have done this carnival so you never know. I might see you there.

Bushies pip Kookas in epic State U18 Grand Finalhttp://www.aflq.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=116114

The South-East Bushrangers scored a thrilling six-point win over the Country Kookaburras in the grand final of the AFL Sportsready State U18 Championships at Coorparoo yesterday.

With AFL talent scouts littered around the ground, the Bushrangers kicked the last two goals of a fantastic contest to 8.11 (59) to 7.11 (53) and deny the Kookaburras the fairytale finish they were chasing.

Bushrangers rookie search player Joel Smouha, who had only played a handful of games of football before this year, was best afield in the grand final.

The mobile 198cm ruckman from Mt.Gravatt also won the Coach’s Award from Bushrangers coach Rob Amos as his team’s Player of the Championships.

The preliminary Australia Post Queensland U18 squad for 2007 will be named tomorrow (Tuesday) by new State coach Danny Craven. The squad will be posted on the Scorpions website at http://scorpions.aflq.com.au and the AFLQ website will carry a story with full details.

The Kookaburras led the final by 13 points at halftime and 14 points at three-quarter time but, with Ben Gibson, son of ex-Fitzroy and Brisbane Bears player Michael Gibson, playing a key role in the final term, the Bushrangers finished the stronger.

It went right down to the wire, with the Kookaburras hitting the post in the final stages after Elliott Duke had put the Bushrangers in front, and having the ball camped deep in their forward line in the last few seconds.

Amos, the former Essendon AFL player, paid equal credit to the Country side and to his players after Bushrangers co-captains Guy Tarrant and Daniel Savage collected the State U18 trophy from AFL Sportsready Queensland Manager Shane Johnson and the Lions’ Chris Johnson.

Savage and Tarrant, both from Morningside, also played well in the grand final, together with clubmate Alistair Nash, Adam Boon and Jamie Hackett (Redland) and Mitch Enright (Mt.Gravatt).

Hervey Bay defender Blake Passfield was best for the Kookaburras in the final and also won the Coach’s Award from Eddie Skiba to cap an outstanding carnival.

Skiba told spectators he was proud of his players’ efforts, and rued some missed opportunities early in the final quarter when they had the game under control.

Justin Myers, like Passfield from the Bundaberg Wide Bay League, Michael Walters, from Mackay, Cameron Josiah, from Cairns, and Jake Spencer, from Townsville, also played well for the Kookaburras.

In the play-off for 3rd that followed the grand final, the Gold Coast Stingrays accounted for the Northern Rainders by 39 points in a game closer than the final margin indicates.

The Stingrays punished the Raiders for some wayward kicking and won 13.10 (88) to 6.13 (49).

Alex Hombsch from Broadbeach was best afield while Southport’s Ben Headland and Tyson Kruse and Cats clubmates Josh Searl and four-goal hero James Kelly also stood out for the Stingrays.

Kedron’s Joey Daye, a member of the AFL/AIS Academy squad bound for South Africa next month, was best for the Raiders with the Aspley trio of vice-captain Daniel Nash, Pat Allan and Jack Stanley, and Sandgate’s Shane Rogerson.

Headland won the Coach’s Award for the Stingrays from Jarred Field, while Rogerson, who kicked eight goals in the opening match of the carnival, won the Coach’s Award for the Raiders from Graham ‘Bomber’ Adams.

And in the early game yesterday, the play-off for fifth place, the Western Taipans showed great character to bounce back from two indifferent performances and beat the Suncoast Power 10.9 (69) to 8.9 (57).

The Power led at every change but the Taipans kicked four goals to one in the final stanza to get home.

Morningside midfielder Ryan Holman, a State U18 representative last year, closed an outstanding carnival to be best afield, while rookie search player Andrew Pyke, Ben Jones (West Juniors), Greg Friis (Western Magpies) and Brandon Morris (Western Magpies) also played well for the victors.

Best for the Power were Jimmy Cupper (Caloundra), Kyle Marchant (Caloundra/Zillmere), Matt Somers (Noosa), Rhys Magin (Pomona/Zillmere) and AIS squad member Sammy Reid (Caloundra/Zillmere).

Cupper won the Coach’s Award for the Power from Ken Weightman, while Greg Friis took the corresponding award for the Taipans from Neville Miller.

MATCH DETAILS

GAME 1 – PLAY-OFF FOR 5th & 6th
Western Taipans 10.9.69 def Suncoast Power 8.9.57

Goalkickers: Taipans: Brandon Morris 3, Liam Tagell 2, Matt Davis 2, Adam Spackman 1, Mitchell Page 1, Jake Orreal 1. Power: Ryan Stewart 3, Marty Buscema 1, Ben Weightman 1, Nathan Lavis 1, Trevor Catalano 1, Sam Reid 1.

Best: Taipans: Ryan Holman, Andrew Pyke, Ben Jones, Greg Friis, Brandon Morris. Power: Jimmy Cupper, Kyle Marchant, Matt Somers, Rhys Magin, Sam Reid.

GAME 2 – GRAND FINAL
South Eastern Bushrangers 8.11.59 def Country Kookaburras 7.11.53

Goalkickers: Bushrangers: Jamie Hackett 2, Elliot Duke 2, Ben Gibson 1, Daniel Savage 1, Ian West 1, Blake Wallis 1. Kookaburras: Charlie Dixon 2, Tom Rudolph 2, Justin Myers 1, Ali Pinda 1, Jesse Fewkes 1.

Best: Bushrangers: Joel Smouha, Daniel Savage, Adam Boon, Alistair Nash, Jamie Hackett, Guy Tarrant, Mitch Enright, Elliot Duke. Kookaburras: Blake Passfield, Justin Myers, Michael Walters, Cameron Josiah, Jake Spencer.

GAME 3 – PLAY-OFF FOR 3rd & 4th[/B]
Gold Coast Stingrays 13.10.88 def. Northern Raiders 6.13.49

Goalkickers: Stingrays: James Kelly 4, Darin Stewart 2, Michael Cooke 2, James Mulligan 2, Aaron Rolfe 1,Chris Mitchell 1, Jordan Katane 1. Raiders: Richard Harrison 3, Daniel Nash 1, Joe Daye 1, Pat Devers 1.

Best: Stingrays: Alex Hombsch, Ben Headland, Josh Searl, James Kelly, Tyson Kruse. Raiders: Joe Daye, Daniel Nash, Pat Allen, Shane Rogerson, Jack Stanley.

CHAMPIONSHIP COACHES AWARDS
Team – Coach - Winner

Bushies - Rob Amos - Joel Smouha
Kookaburras - Eddie Skiba - Blake Passfield
Stingrays - Jarred Field - Ben Headland
Raiders - Graham Adams - Shane Rogerson
Taipans - Neville Miller -Greg Friis
Power - Ken Weightman - Jimmy Cupper

Kookaburas were good yesterday, but I think whoever wins out of Raiders & Bushies will be this years winners. Watching the running game of Bushis in the first half against Sunny Coast was more impressive than Kookies yesterday.

Stingrays I don't believe could play much worse and probably had two opportunities in the second half to get back into the game and win, but couldn't quite get back in front. I'm sure the powers of QLD footy would be happy as Stingrays have won last 3 under 18s championships.

Agree with Zorko, very smart player, been out for a year and was cming back to good form yesterday, and will continue to get better over the coming months.

Campbell hurt his knee in the first qtr of the grand final. Early prognosis is the lateral so hopefully he will be back before too long

Great game of footy yesterday, shame the kookas couldn't hold on but their problem all week was their running out the whole game. The intensity and running was great to watch and the transitition through the ground was sensational to watch.
If the Kookas trained like the other 5 teams over a 5 month period they would be scary. But the Bushies had the class at the end and your no 8 brother (solid unit by the way) kicked two telling goals at crucial times. Looks a likely type around goals.
Stingrays came third but a disappointment after winning the last 3 or 4 championships, I'm sure AFLQ hierachy will be happy for a new name on trophy.
Now just wait and see who gets in the state side.

Great game of footy yesterday, shame the kookas couldn't hold on but their problem all week was their running out the whole game. The intensity and running was great to watch and the transitition through the ground was sensational to watch.
If the Kookas trained like the other 5 teams over a 5 month period they would be scary. But the Bushies had the class at the end and your no 8 brother (solid unit by the way) kicked two telling goals at crucial times. Looks a likely type around goals.
Stingrays came third but a disappointment after winning the last 3 or 4 championships, I'm sure AFLQ hierachy will be happy for a new name on trophy.
Now just wait and see who gets in the state side.

Could be an interesting mix for the state side. A couple of the big names of last years carnival and state side were pretty quiet this year (Brittan, Rolfe) and a lot of younger kids put their hand up.

Could be an interesting mix for the state side. A couple of the big names of last years carnival and state side were pretty quiet this year (Brittan, Rolfe) and a lot of younger kids put their hand up.

With the kookaburras performing so well, how many from the country will goe close to state selection?

Of course there lies the problem. They'd be lucky to get 5 sessions together considering the distances between the regions.

I know a fair few country boys have moved to play state league footy this year, so depending on who performed, distance may not be that much of a factor. The selecters should pick the best performed players no matter where they are from anyway!

Remove this Banner Ad

QLD U18's State Championships start today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back