Queensland under 16 State championships

Remove this Banner Ad

The two sunny coast guys are both guns, Todd Panaho and Nicky Price. Nicky has been playing for Caloundra U18s in Div. 1 and has been close to our best player this year. He is a midfielder is hard at it, put on some good hits (rugby union background) and disposes well. Could lose him to other sports down the track as he is part of a squad similar to the AIS in rugby and is also a state Cricketer. Todd is also a freak also has a rugby background and is very hard at it, pputs on some big hits, gets heaps of it but doesnt always dispose of it too well. Watch out for both trust me.

Rumour file.
Overheard some parents conversing.
Rumour 1. "my son ------ played rugby last night. Goodness knows how he will go today at the championships". ( I observed his effort and he struggled.)

Rumour 2 player x wanted to play rugby and was told in no uncertain terms he would have his AFL funding evoked if did! And must play in the championships.

-Both players made the state squad. Suprise , suprise!

Rumour file.
Rumour 1. "my son ------ played rugby last night. Goodness knows how he will go today at the championships". ( I observed his effort and he struggled.)

Rumour 2 player x wanted to play rugby and was told in no uncertain terms he would have his AFL funding evoked if did! And must play in the championships.

You're starting to sound like me now BB:p

Rumour file.

Yeah, it's bullshit and one of the reasons why I cannot stand Daniel Merrett. Not because of him per se, just for what he stands for and encourages. Why play footy when your'e 8, just go some other sport until AFL lures you over at 16. Rubbish.

Before I go on I must admit I was somewhat a "victim" - I was overlooked from an U/18 Bushrangers team in favour of a bloke my height with less ability but a gun baseballer. So I do have a vested interest.

But to be perfectly honest, I'm not at all bitter because I wasn't at that level anyway. If I was, I would've been the fourth or fifth tall in the side instead of the 9th or so. I'm more concerned with kids I've known for a long time at my local club - great kids with football ability, and D.Hewitt is just one example - who might get overlooked from more important sides, state sides and the like. It really is a ridiculous concept and, although I know they have to find a balance between rewarding quality footballers and trying to groom AFL players, I really think the balance is skewed too far in favour of the "other sporters".

Has there been another Daniel Merrett that's come through the system?

Of the 25 players representing QLD at Darwin schoolboys only half are in the under 16 squad of 34.
This my player profile of the new members-
Troy Jamieson- medium onballer and utility hard at the ball
Damien Hewitt- medium tall, KP forward,good overhead, slick hands
Damien Steven -medium utility very good left and right foot, hits targets
Ethan Reading- Tall, KP, aggressive, can play forward or back.
Bradley Rees- medium onballer, or utility, very good left and right feet .Good in traffic
Luke Shreeve- Lightly built 15 year old, very good skills, great ball sense.
Tyler Green- Athletic, runs well, good leap.
Jack Stanlake- KP forward very good at kicking for goal.
Rory Thompson- Tall forward (195cm) very good on the lead and overhead.
Sean Yoshiura- Tall, utility. Big motor finds the ball well
James Pennycuick- Likes to run and take them on ,well balanced
Matt Fowler- Medium tall, excellent natural leap, accurate at goal, good allround.
Fraser Nicholsen-Bliesner
Sam Usherwood- The best 15 year old going round. Medium tall, still growing very good all round.
Declan Bevan.- The only 15 year old in QLD to play under 16 State last year. Tall,(195 cm) KP/ruckman,strong overhead. Kicks goals, runs well will be a key in this years nationals
Aaron Fabian- Tall Forward,very good left and right. Kicks bags of goals if he's onsong. Arguably the best under 16 player going round. Attitude the key
Michael McCoy- Medium/tall, can play onball/or key position. Long kick
Billy Moorhead - marks well and has ball sense.
How I rate qld u/16 squad members championship performances-
SOUTH EAST BUSHRANGERS.
Mitchell Harley- very consistent- 9/10
Troy Jamieson- very good first up was quieter in the final 7/10
Damien Hewitt- solid in the first matches, had stiff opposition in the final, 7/10
Damien Steven- pretty steady all three games. 7/10
Ethan Reading- started well and was consistent, marking was suspect 6/10
Bradley Rees- excellent first match faded slightly 8/10
Ben Jaenke-Cain - very good , faded second half of the final 8.5 /10
Justin Harding- solid, got caught a few times in the final 7/10
Ashley Dean- Same as his team-mates found the final a higher gear 7/10
GOLD COAST STINGRAYS
Luke Shreeve- consistent effort 7.5 /10
Taylor Rolfe- Found himself back with the pack, not the clear champion he was last year. 7/10
Tyler Green- Steady, 7/10
Cheyne Hutchinson- worked hard, but dropped too many overhead marks on a lead 6.5 /10
Ben Dovey- loves to run and run and run.... got cuaght a bit. 7.5 /10
Jack Stanlake- started well , well held in the final by a player who didn't even make the squad.6/10
Marc Lock- very good all 3 games 9/10
Jesse Haberfield- player of the carnival for mine- 9.5 /10
Hamish Watts- Excellent carnivall. 9/10
Rory Thompson - good overhead played off the bench in games one and two. 5 marks in the final. 6/10
WESTERN TAIPANS
Sean Yoshiura- ran hard and got a fair bit of ball. 7.5 /10
Rex Liddy - Quiet and found the going tough. 5/10
James Pennycuick- ran well plenty of dash from the backline. caught a number of times though. 7/10
Matt Fowler- excellent carnival, earned a spot in the squad 9/10
Gerard Moore - at 195cm won his share of hit-uts. all that was required- 8.5/10
Fraser Nicholsen-Bliesner - ran well was consistent 7.5/10
Sam Usherwood - very solid all 3 games. One to watch out for.8/10
NORTHERN RAIDERS
Ryan Thomson.-Got better as the championships went on. 8/10
Aaron Fabian-kicked 10 goals in game one. which earned him a gig. was well beaten in game 2. Too much of a Jeckle-Hyde. Not as good as I was led to believe. 6/10
Declan Bevan- At 195cm and mobile football is a simple game. 3 good games 8.5/10
Michael McCoy- solid carnival- 7.5/10
SUNCOAST POWER
Todd Panaoho - very good all 3 games. 9/10
Nick Price - very quiet game one, barely did enough against quality opposition. 6/10

Young Scorpions Squad for Canberra Trip

Congratulation to the following list of players on their inclusion in the Australia Post Under 16 Scorpions squad that will play AFL NSWACT on Saturday 2 June. Please note that the players full intinerary follows the squad list.

Luke Shreeve
Brad Rees
Ben Jaenke-Cain
Troy Jamieson
Lachlan *****
Taylor Rolfe
Damien Hewitt
Matt Fowler
Billy Moorhead
Nick Price
Todd Panaoho
Marc Lock
James Pennycuick
Declan Bevan
Aaron Fabian
Gerard Moore
Tyler Green
Cheyne Hutchinson
Sam Usherwood
Ashley Dean
Damien Steven
Ben Dovey

All boys in the Young Scorpion training squad of 33 players must attend training at Coorparoo next Monday and Wednesday as usual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before I go on I must admit I was somewhat a "victim" - I was overlooked from an U/18 Bushrangers team in favour of a bloke my height with less ability but a gun baseballer. So I do have a vested interest.

But to be perfectly honest, I'm not at all bitter because I wasn't at that level anyway. If I was, I would've been the fourth or fifth tall in the side instead of the 9th or so. I'm more concerned with kids I've known for a long time at my local club - great kids with football ability, and D.Hewitt is just one example - who might get overlooked from more important sides, state sides and the like. It really is a ridiculous concept and, although I know they have to find a balance between rewarding quality footballers and trying to groom AFL players, I really think the balance is skewed too far in favour of the "other sporters".

Has there been another Daniel Merrett that's come through the system?

Its unfortunate, but welcome to the real world 2007.

I am involved in Development at this age group in Nth NSW. There is a scholarship scheme run by the AFL where all AFL Clubs can scholarship a player 15 to 17. (subsidised by the AFL)

What is happening, if youre say 195cm and play another sport to a rep level (state say), then you have I would say a 10 times better chance of getting scholarshipped than a player who plays the code even if he's a gun.

They are all chasing the Roberts Thomson and Moran's of this world.

Essendon, Geelong and St Kilda all took project players new to our code.

Very frustrated and embarassed to have to speak to the really hardworking and dedicated kids that are devastated at being constatntly overlooked.

NSW are even starting to pick them in their State sides as well, meaning they are taking the spots of football kids.

Its unfortunate, but welcome to the real world 2007.

I am involved in Development at this age group in Nth NSW. There is a scholarship scheme run by the AFL where all AFL Clubs can scholarship a player 15 to 17. (subsidised by the AFL)

What is happening, if youre say 195cm and play another sport to a rep level (state say), then you have I would say a 10 times better chance of getting scholarshipped than a player who plays the code even if he's a gun.

They are all chasing the Roberts Thomson and Moran's of this world.

Essendon, Geelong and St Kilda all took project players new to our code.

Very frustrated and embarassed to have to speak to the really hardworking and dedicated kids that are devastated at being constatntly overlooked.

NSW are even starting to pick them in their State sides as well, meaning they are taking the spots of football kids.
No doubt it's happening and the PTB want it to keep happening but it's wrong.

Funny that! ex-AFL player Cameron O'Brien (Living in the USA for 10 years now) Mentioned that in a conversation last week. It went something like this- "----- old mate. I'm involved in AFL in the states and the game is coming on fine. Sheeds and other AFL clubs have rung from time to time Asking If I know of any tall athletes". "As long as they are quick we can make 'em into footballers"- they say.
Do I need to say any more?. Just remember that when your children say they want play AFL Lenny. Will you allow them?

Funny that! ex-AFL player Cameron O'Brien (Living in the USA for 10 years now) Mentioned that in a conversation last week. It went something like this- "----- old mate. I'm involved in AFL in the states and the game is coming on fine. Sheeds and other AFL clubs have rung from time to time Asking If I know of any tall athletes". "As long as they are quick we can make 'em into footballers"- they say.
Do I need to say any more?. Just remember that when your children say they want play AFL Lenny. Will you allow them?

If your kid is an athlete, you are better off getting them into say basketball and athletics and change over later on.

Dont worry about the football brains.

Bullshit

Any results on the NSWACT vs QLD game played today?
Pero, I was at the game, my son is in the NSW side. Qld absolutely smashed them in the second half. They played extremely well, great team play and ran hard all day. Obviously a lot of them have played together. NSW started OK but turned the ball over coming into their forward line way to often. The Qld backman then moved the ball really well into their forward line. Qld also didn't seem to miss too many set shots. A really good reality ckeck for the Rams and it would reinforce Qld's confidence. Both sides should be congratulated on the way the game was played. Umpiring was of its usual standard, WAY BELOW PAR.

The result augers well for AFL Queensland. The squad consists of 33 players currently. As you could imagine, Qld can only get stronger. Add to that the fact that there are some injured players that could have made the state had they particapated in the state champs.
Are NSW down to a final squad yet? Were they experimenting, or just outclassed? Who would you think were Qlds best? Did you hear any names mentioned? And how did Taylor Duryea, Dylan McNeil and co. go? who were your best?

The Qld boys looked pretty good. The score was Scorpions(Qld) 19.17 to RAMS 9.2 played in near perfect conditions, though it was wet under foot and greasy until half time - with many players loosing their feet a bit, and dropping marks ( nerves maybe)
Qld missed a few goals on the run, did better from set shots though. The backline for Q got plenty of penetration into the forward line, which did better after half time. Best set-up was Forth Qtr

RAMS was a taller team with some players on AFL scholarships, perhaps their standouts, believe the AIS head coach was their checking out the talent. To their credit RAMS played out the match in a friendly spirit

Generally, Q looked more committed, harder to the ball, safer hands, blessed with speed and fitness
While a lot of the Q boys are playing for a spot in the final side, they gelled really well as a team and are well disciplined.

NSW have selected their final squad of 25. Taylor Duryea is going to school in Vic so not in squad. Dylan copped a head knock early but still battled on. I didn't think there where any stand outs for NSW, I wont start about the scholarships (We live in an area that makes us ineligble for one). Qld over ran us in the second half, maybe playing for a spots, but they looked a bit hungrier and where prepared to share the ball every time. Sorry I dont have the team sheet for Qld, but number 10??? was very good and a couple of big forwards. If you guys have others to come in yet then the Nationals will be tough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Queensland under 16 State championships

Remove this Banner Ad

Back