Umpiring Questionable Umpiring Decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like people are choosing to not read this situation logically. Unpopular opinion but i completely agreed with Laura Kane's explanation, it was clear as day. The whistle for the mark came late... In the heat of that moment norf were just trying to push the ball into the 50, as soon as the norf player marked it i cringed because you could clearly tell his intention was to run sideways and quickly kick around the body inside 50. Given, that was probably due to the late whistle - a quicker whistle may have meant he pushed back on his mark quicker, but it also means the pies players probably don't run to him. As a result the collingwood players decided to go at the player because guess what, the whistle didn't get blown. To add to that, the norf player clearly deviated off his mark (due to the late whistle + moment of the game), so even more reason for the pies players to run at him.

The error was the whistle coming late. At that point the final outcome is fair - Norf player afforded the opportunity to push back onto his line, and pies players push back onto the mark. Correct decision despite the late whistle.
He didn't step off the mark.
He came at the ball from an angle and continued for 3-4 steps on that same angle due to momentum. No different to a defender running forward of the mark with momentum. They aren't told to immediately play on, unless it's clear that they are doing so.
Players who take marks on the angle will often take 3-4 steps off the line of the mark while coming to a stop and aren't called to play on. It can't be play on until a player has deviated off the line, deliberately, with a clear intent.
Would he have played on if the Pies players weren't there? I have no doubt that he would have, but he hadn't.

He didn't step off the mark.
He came at the ball from an angle and continued for 3-4 steps on that same angle due to momentum. No different to a defender running forward of the mark with momentum. They aren't told to immediately play on, unless it's clear that they are doing so.
Players who take marks on the angle will often take 3-4 steps off the line of the mark while coming to a stop and aren't called to play on. It can't be play on until a player has deviated off the line, deliberately, with a clear intent.
Would he have played on if the Pies players weren't there? I have no doubt that he would have, but he hadn't.
I'm happy to take that justification because I agree momentum is legit. But let's be real, you and I who were undoubtedly barracking for a North win both know deep down it wasn't momentum in that case😉 I cringed knowing his intention was to arc around and play on quickly and thought he was about to get done, it was pretty obvious and looked very peculiar compared to the other examples of momentum you speak of. In saying that I think his urge to run around was due to the fact the whistle came so late and he was unsure whether it was a mark. So not his fault.

And if you're going to make the momentum argument for him, same goes for the pies players. They were running at him because the ump was delayed to blow the whistle. At the point the whistle goes you can't expect them running full pelt to stop dead in their tracks.

At the end of the day it's the umpire who cocked up with the delayed whistle. He second guessed whether it travelled the 15m. At that point he called all players back to their line which is fair imo, and it gave the benefit of doubt to the north player who did deviate a little more than momentum would suggest, albeit like I said not his fault as he may have not considered playing on if the whistle came quicker.

I'm happy to take that justification because I agree momentum is legit. But let's be real, you and I who were undoubtedly barracking for a North win both know deep down it wasn't momentum in that case😉 I cringed knowing his intention was to arc around and play on quickly and thought he was about to get done, it was pretty obvious and looked very peculiar compared to the other examples of momentum you speak of. In saying that I think his urge to run around was due to the fact the whistle came so late and he was unsure whether it was a mark. So not his fault.

And if you're going to make the momentum argument for him, same goes for the pies players. They were running at him because the ump was delayed to blow the whistle. At the point the whistle goes you can't expect them running full pelt to stop dead in their tracks.

At the end of the day it's the umpire who cocked up with the delayed whistle. He second guessed whether it travelled the 15m. At that point he called all players back to their line which is fair imo, and it gave the benefit of doubt to the north player who did deviate a little more than momentum would suggest, albeit like I said not his fault as he may have not considered playing on if the whistle came quicker.
The Pies players accelerated and changed direction after the whistle.
The North player never accelerated and took one step at the end in a different direction, and that was backwards and slightly back toward the line of the mark. The offensive player should get the benefit of the doubt there, that they were coming back to the line of the mark to take their kick.

If the Pies players had stopped from their natural momentum, Scott would've had room to actually play on, as he was entitled to, by taking a mark.

I wonder if they saw Sheezel in the North forward line, paid the free kick to him, and then advantage thinking that they were in the Collingwood forward line as he is a defender.

Umpires realised their mistake and brought the ball back in the end, so did not make a difference.

I feel like people are choosing to not read this situation logically. Unpopular opinion but i completely agreed with Laura Kane's explanation, it was clear as day. The whistle for the mark came late... In the heat of that moment norf were just trying to push the ball into the 50, as soon as the norf player marked it i cringed because you could clearly tell his intention was to run sideways and quickly kick around the body inside 50. Given, that was probably due to the late whistle - a quicker whistle may have meant he pushed back on his mark quicker, but it also means the pies players probably don't run to him. As a result the collingwood players decided to go at the player because guess what, the whistle didn't get blown. To add to that, the norf player clearly deviated off his mark (due to the late whistle + moment of the game), so even more reason for the pies players to run at him.

The error was the whistle coming late. At that point the final outcome is fair - Norf player afforded the opportunity to push back onto his line, and pies players push back onto the mark. Correct decision despite the late whistle.
It's obvious you haven't seen much of Bailey Scott footying, lol

He can barely kick the pill on his preferred peg, but you have him 'arcing' around to drill a dart on his left

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

sometimes your team is on the right side of the dubious decision/s,
Mr Bean Waiting GIF by MOODMAN

As for terrible calls against us, we don't even need to leave the last quarter for a howler, in what can be best described as Nick Daicos' 'Kuato Scissor Kick', where he emerged from the chest of a Norf player to surge the ball forward with some Pele standard footskills.

View attachment 2023001

See the thing here is Daicos is actually holding onto Liam Shiel's arms. He could let go and try mark the ball if he wanted, but he's playing for the free kick instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpire number 28 needs to be sacked immediately. First pays a deliberate rushed behind against a player under pressure. Then lines Hogan up BEHIND the post so a straight kick would slam into the behind post.

Absolute F WIT.
The ironic thing is how often do we hear from the commentators 'It's amazing how many players don't know the rules... he could have run the ball over the line then and had control of the ball after conceding a behind'.

Then the umpires decide to occasionally pluck that type of free from their backsides.

Why didn't the umpire call for a ball up while allowing May to be tackled at least 450 degrees?
Then he goes to ground shoulder first with a secondary action to lay his head on the ground & grab his head.
Of course the ump gets sucked in & pays dangerous tackle.
It's a blight on the game now.....

Jeremy Cameron’s play-on goal after the half time siren was comically bad. Par for the course this season unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back