R.I.P Black Caviar

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah sad news.

Watched her win at Caulfield paying $1.20 iirc & it's was one of the strangest day I've had at the races. Great fun but weird as you knew she was always going to win but for some really bad luck such as injury so there was a sense of trepidation I want to say, which all evaporated as she passed the post. The crowd was right into it.

I see she had 8 foals, they kept her busy in retirement.

Last edited:

Terribly sad news. The best horse we have had in this country

25 starts for 25 wins. One of the all time greats of Australian racing. Best sprinter I have seen. One of the modern greats too.

At least she travelled too.

Lets not mince words - she was bred to death. It's disgusting & disgraceful.

Brady Bunch K GIF

Not sure some guys here understand how broodmares work

So she had a surrogate carry the 9 foals for her, for 11 or 12 months each? After foaling they're ready to go again in 3 weeks.

Retired undefeated in 2013, made millions for all involved in those 25 wins.

Sorry, not enough, no enjoying retirement for you, we'll keep pumping the foals out of you and squeeze that last cent from you.

They may be well cared for but in the end they're no better than a puppy breeding farm. It's all about a dollar.

So she had a surrogate carry the 9 foals for her, for 11 or 12 months each? After foaling they're ready to go again in 3 weeks.

Sorry, not enough, no enjoying retirement for you, we'll keep pumping the foals out of you and squeeze that last cent from you.

They may be well cared for but in the end they're no better than a puppy breeding farm. It's all about a dollar.

Their natural instinct is to preproduce & 8 foals isn't that huge a number for a 18yo - retired at 6yo so 8 foals in 12 years isn't exactly puppy farm stats.

Oh yeah they made a fortune out of her in the breeding barn 🙄

Broodmares have foals that's what they do - it's not ruddy animal cruelty and she was on the average to lower end of the scale for the amount anyway

If you're a crayon eater who thinks it's so heinous anyway whether the horse was a good runner or not shouldn't make any difference

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Special horse, doubt we will ever see anything like her again on the track.
Have some really fond memories of her that includes getting 1.80 for her in the g2 sprint on guineas day, effortless and just beautiful to watch up close, followed by her win in the 1200 on stakes day a few weeks later. It was a stinking hot day, and the beers were flowing. I remember a massive crowd just flooding to the post about 45 min till the jump. The excitement and buzz was unreal.
And her last run in Melbourne, i think was the Valley on a friday night, Was chockers felt like a rock show more than a race meeting. Couldn't move, so many people crammed in.

So sad, but will never be forgotten.

Super sad news.

Had a side gig while at uni holding a bag for an on-course bookie whenever they needed an extra hand right around the time of her run, so was lucky enough to see her live quite a few more times than I did most of the other recent champs (we weren't really meant to go out and watch the race live while on the clock but for her you'd make an exception). Don't know that I'll ever have that feeling again of a horse just seeming so utterly unbeatable.

Watching her cruise away from them effortlessly carrying the handicap record in the Newmarket the highlight for me.

Loved Black Cav! Rose to prominence around the time the online bookies were gaining traction with best tote odds. After about her 10th win, I think it was Unitab that was trying to stick it to the bookies and were putting their take back into the pool post-jump inflating her price. I heard about this ploy early on but don’t know how widely publicised it was. She was genuine $1.04 pop and I continually would get $1.20, $1.30 (got $1.40 when she walked in over 1400m at Caulfield - Orr Stakes?). I was early 20’s, living at home, no attachments or responsibility, putting $10k on her on Sportsbet every start, making a couple of grand per start. It was a rort. Any proceeds were quickly whittled away on cheap but very fun thrills..…….magic time in my life!

I went to about 10 of her wins live but favourite for me win for me was first Sydney start in TJ Smith, Hay List kicked 4 clear around the bend and she had it all to do, within a stride she’d gobbled him up and went whooska. Vividly remember being at Etihad - Doggies were belting Gold Coast, Bazza had kicked 5 already and me and about 200 fellow punters crammed into the small bar area to watch the great mare cheering and whooping as she streamed down the guts!

Loved Black Cav! Rose to prominence around the time the online bookies were gaining traction with best tote odds. After about her 10th win, I think it was Unitab that was trying to stick it to the bookies and were putting their take back into the pool post-jump inflating her price. I heard about this ploy early on but don’t know how widely publicised it was. She was genuine $1.04 pop and I continually would get $1.20, $1.30 (got $1.40 when she walked in over 1400m at Caulfield - Orr Stakes?). I was early 20’s, living at home, no attachments or responsibility, putting $10k on her on Sportsbet every start, making a couple of grand per start. It was a rort. Any proceeds were quickly whittled away on cheap but very fun thrills..…….magic time in my life!

I went to about 10 of her wins live but favourite for me win for me was first Sydney start in TJ Smith, Hay List kicked 4 clear around the bend and she had it all to do, within a stride she’d gobbled him up and went whooska. Vividly remember being at Etihad - Doggies were belting Gold Coast, Bazza had kicked 5 already and me and about 200 fellow punters crammed into the small bar area to watch the great mare cheering and whooping as she streamed down the guts!

She broke Hay Lists heart that day;)

Remove this Banner Ad

R.I.P Black Caviar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back