Game Day R3 NAB Cup - Essendon v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday night @ Etihad.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...-swans-prior-to-gws-clash-20120304-1uarz.html

Goodes and Shaw will return and Hanners will be considered with McVeigh and Mattner possibly rested. Interesting that Reid's name was not mentioned. Cue the conspiracy theorists. With the Round 1 game in sight, more fringe players will be cut and based on the subs from last night's game, Heath, Lamb, Moore and Gordon will be the first ones on the chopping block.

It's mathematically possible for us to make the NAB Cup Grand Final, although a lot of results will have to go our way. However, it may not be something we want to qualify for if we have to make a trip to Perth or Adelaide. We still get a NAB Challenge match if we don't make it, and given we travelled in weeks 1 and 3 to Melbourne, there's a good chance we will be drawn in a regional NSW town like Newcastle or Coffs Harbour or maybe that pseudo-annual match at Narrandera.

http://www.afl.com.au/nabcup/tabid/74/default.aspx

I'm just looking forward to seeing the match televised. Don't really care is Reid plays. Though I'd love to see him, the priority must be to get him to 100% fitness for round one. Actually, round two would suffice. Same for Hanners. Looking forward to seeing Rohan play especially. Go RedBirds!

I'm just looking forward to seeing the match televised. Don't really care is Reid plays. Though I'd love to see him, the priority must be to get him to 100% fitness for round one. Actually, round two would suffice. Same for Hanners. Looking forward to seeing Rohan play especially. Go RedBirds!

So surely you would want him to play? To have him at full match fitness for Round 1 he needs to be playing, well, matches. If he's injured, it's a BIG concern.

So surely you would want him to play? To have him at full match fitness for Round 1 he needs to be playing, well, matches. If he's injured, it's a BIG concern.

Is rather he was not rushed back to risk exacerbating an injury, that's for sure. I also believe we could beat the giants without him, though our structure certainly benefits with him being up there. He'll have a lot to do this year. We need to protect his workload as best we can.

BTW - we get a week off after round one (which will drive me crazy) so there's an extra week of convalescence available right there for the likes of ROK who have confirmed niggles. Go RedBirds!

there's a good chance we will be drawn in a regional NSW town like Newcastle or Coffs Harbour or maybe that pseudo-annual match at Narrandera.

None in fact

Games in week 4 if we miss out on the Grand Final will be played at either Etihad Stadium, Simonds Stadium, Blacktown International Sportspark, AAMI Stadium, Patersons Stadium, Metricon Stadium, Manuka Oval, VISY Park

So Newcastle, Coffs Harbour and Narrandera are out, plus Narrandera is isolated by flood waters at this very minute;)

None in fact

Games in week 4 if we miss out on the Grand Final will be played at either Etihad Stadium, Simonds Stadium, Blacktown International Sportspark, AAMI Stadium, Patersons Stadium, Metricon Stadium, Manuka Oval, VISY Park

So Newcastle, Coffs Harbour and Narrandera are out, plus Narrandera is isolated by flood waters at this very minute;)

what is meant with the wink at the end of your post? I dont get it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope it's as good a game as any of the last few years between us have served up - IIRC 4 of the last 6 by a kick or less?

What are you guys thinking for strength - around 80% ?

We're behind the 8-ball a bit, having missed the run last week.
I think that means we'll be going pretty much flat-chat - should see 4 or 5 new faces, and the rest will be regulars.

I think it will be just about full strength (obviously barring injured players like ROK, Armstrong, Spangher, Mitchell) for us. As close to full strength as we can get I reckon it will be. Goodes and Shaw will come back in. Hannebery will probably get his first run after having minor surgery and Reid is likely to play as well.

We're behind the 8-ball a bit, having missed the run last week.
I think that means we'll be going pretty much flat-chat - should see 4 or 5 new faces, and the rest will be regulars.

Hurley, Stanton, Fletcher, Watson, Heppel havent played a game yet they might be a bit underdone they will have to be managed carefully this week doubt they will be getting full game time as its all about round 1.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...-swans-prior-to-gws-clash-20120304-1uarz.html

We still get a NAB Challenge match if we don't make it, and given we travelled in weeks 1 and 3 to Melbourne, there's a good chance we will be drawn in a regional NSW town like Newcastle or Coffs Harbour or maybe that pseudo-annual match at Narrandera.
http://www.afl.com.au/nabcup/tabid/74/default.aspx

Don't understand the AFL's logic there at all.

In recent years and indeed this year (except for GWS/Sydney) the weekend after the NAB Cup GF has been footy free, allowing clubs a week's break before the season proper.

Surely they could have scheduled NAB challenge matches on the NAB Cup GF weekend, so that GWS & Sydney were given the weekend off, considering they are playing the following Saturday, while all other teams have a 'bye'. :confused:

Don't understand the AFL's logic there at all.

In recent years and indeed this year (except for GWS/Sydney) the weekend after the NAB Cup GF has been footy free, allowing clubs a week's break before the season proper.

Surely they could have scheduled NAB challenge matches on the NAB Cup GF weekend, so that GWS & Sydney were given the weekend off, considering they are playing the following Saturday, while all other teams have a 'bye'. :confused:

Pretty sure that is what they're doing.

Pretty sure that is what they're doing.

No, GWS & Sydney don't have a week's break before their stand alone season opener.

Sydney's stand-alone start to the AFL season will be unique in more ways than one, with the Swans and Giants both missing out on a weekend off after the pre-season competition.
In a break from tradition, Greater Western Sydney and the Swans will have their final pre-season hit-outs one week prior to the first round of the premiership season, which starts on March 24.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back