Opinion Radio/TV Commentary, (Is Luke Hodge The Worst?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the replay and had to suffer that drop kick BT.
Called Frampton Kreuger at least 3 times.
Said Kreuger just kicked his first ever AFL goal.
Then questioned it and then said oh, he’s kicked 4 goals.
Shots at goal were there or fantastic, despite clearly missing or hitting the post.
He is an embarrassment and continuing on from the GF last year.
He is excruciatingly painful. The sooner we can escape Channel 7 commentary the better

Watched the replay and had to suffer that drop kick BT.
Called Frampton Kreuger at least 3 times.
Said Kreuger just kicked his first ever AFL goal.
Then questioned it and then said oh, he’s kicked 4 goals.
Shots at goal were there or fantastic, despite clearly missing or hitting the post.
He is an embarrassment and continuing on from the GF last year.
I can’t stand BT especially.
As an ex-Pies player, he always sounds like he hates Collingwood with every comment he makes. He shits me.

I can’t stand BT especially.
As an ex-Pies player, he always sounds like he hates Collingwood with every comment he makes. He shits me.
I just can’t stand him because he’s wrong a lot. Nothing to do with bias so much as ego and loving the sound of his own voice

He is excruciatingly painful. The sooner we can escape Channel 7 commentary the better

Be careful what you wish for there's a lot of fu@@wits on Fox Footy as well

Matt Hill is brilliant on Fox. Why? because he just calls the play. No subjective commentary. Just black and white.

Here’s my issue other than biased or dramatic calls like BT looking for a controversy the last 2 minutes of every game; last year the hot topic was umpire dissent. The AFL and media made it an issue. This year the media, in particular commentators like Hodge and Richardson are continually umpire bashing. The media are fuelling the umpire bashing. So what was last year all about? I can't stand Hodge and Richardson barracking like supporters. Stfu and do your job.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Matt Hill is brilliant on Fox. Why? because he just calls the play. No subjective commentary. Just black and white.

Here’s my issue other than biased or dramatic calls like BT looking for a controversy the last 2 minutes of every game; last year the hot topic was umpire dissent. The AFL and media made it an issue. This year the media, in particular commentators like Hodge and Richardson are continually umpire bashing. The media are fuelling the umpire bashing. So what was last year all about? I can't stand Hodge and Richardson barracking like supporters. Stfu and do your job.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
On Matt Hill, he’s been a revelation this season, I think the fact he’s a race caller helps too as he’s gained the skill of being focused on only calling the action in front of him

BT on Friday night in the dying moments of the game was shouting “THE CLOCK DIDN’T COUNT DOWN FROM 1:10”’after McCluggage kicked that goal

Don’t know about anyone else, but I’ve had a gutful of commentators not knowing the rules.

BT carrying on about the clock not counting down - when it NEVER counts down out of bounds - ruined a good finish. Then on Saturday we had Darcy butcher the deliberate rushed behind (it absolutely can be paid within 9m), to go with his ridiculous rant last year about a player holding the ball and touching a behind post at the same time is out of bounds.

We’ve had Hodge continually misunderstand deliberate out of bounds, including in last year’s GF. Then throw in the continuous misinformation about holding the ball (mainly from BT, JB et al) over many many years.

It’s even more frustrating because the umpiring genuinely IS bad at the moment. But unfortunately the truly bad decisions get lost in the noise of the media whinging - the AFL are easily able to rebuff most of them and the public rightly feels dissatisfied.

Commentators at a minimum should know the rules. The majority just show no interest and call the game like a casual bloke at the pub.

Luke Hodge needs a carisma injection.
He is boring, lacks any form of excitment and consistenly bags the pies. I switch off any footy show or any radio station he comments on, period.
GGF Hodge.

He looks for anything that can discredit a Collingwood win.

He challenges umpiring decisions that go our way, and often the following week points out why the free kick to the oppostion team was there for the same incident.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hodge completely destroyed the final minute of the GF. The alternative broadcasts barely touched on the whole free kick and advantage paid incident.
Thank you, I said the same thing. Yet he didn't mention the Brisbane player decided to take on the game by trying to move to one side but that backfired. If you watch it againt the Lions player, played on thinking it was going to be an advantage and didn't anticipate the contact from the pies player was going to happen so quickly. Sorry Brisbane can't have it both ways.

Not sure if you remember his comments in the final min of the Carlton game where he says it was a poor decision by umpire not to pay free to Carlton for Pendles kick from
Centre square which went out of bounds.
Yep clearly remember that one. Would expect nothing more from Mr personality.

Yet when Freo plays kicks ball out of mid air which went out of bounds, he says poor decision for giving free to Collingwood despite the ball being nowhere near any other player.

The sooner ch 7 get rid of hodge from their team, the slightly more bearable their commentary team will be

Jordan Lewis gives Hodge a run for his money.

BT: "How is THAT an intercept mark?" (Opposition player marked the ball)
BT: "The Magpies are rising like mushrooms"

(Paraphrasing from memory)
(BT is sometimes nuts)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back