Random Discussion Thread 135- A Historically Significant Event

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do appreciate getting a national lecture on racism from Americans though. They are the experts.

Having said that, I thought the cartoon strayed too close to the line of insensitivity. It doesn't actually look that much like Serena, and I know it's a caricature and Mark Knight's style leads to the big lips and exaggerated features but you can't help but feel he should have steered further away from it.

Although whether there was any likeness of Serena in that context that wouldn't have been called out as racist or sexist is unlikely, unfortunately. She's a protected species in America and the widespread approval of her behaviour in that final is disgraceful. Umpires shouldn't have to take nonsense from any player, and she melted down because she wasn't good enough to win. She has a history of this kind of thing and it tarnishes her reputation as a champion.

Spot on. I do also like the way U.S. are so sensitive to this and are able to have a mature discussion about what constitutes racism then I remember that the Cleveland Indians are only going to stop using Chief Wahoo from next year.

https://deadspin.com/indians-fans-taunt-mock-and-scream-obscenities-at-nat-1825073128

Saw this on facebook showing how other cartoonists have portrayed Serena

41562930_905007639696568_1703378317287096320_n.jpg

Is it beyond the ability of this board to cope if I changed the threads titles so we had an “Insightful media coverage” and “Inciteful media coverage” threads? The symmetry would amuse me. I’m also high on cough medicine.

Don’t worry Keys I won’t trample on your great sliding doors reference.

Is it beyond the ability of this board to cope if I changed the threads titles so we had an “Insightful media coverage” and “Inciteful media coverage” threads? The symmetry would amuse me. I’m also high on cough medicine.

I fear your little jibe would be lost on some. Hell, I fear Keys' thread title is already lost on some, and it's less subtle.

Title adjusted

Until you go and correct the spelling "error" again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The prelimary final v Melbourne will be the Eagles fifty first final since inception iin 1987.
Since 1987 the list of most final appearances
Geelong 54 finals 3 premierships 7 gf s
Eagles 50 finals 3 premierships 6 gfs
Hawthorn 48 finals 5 premierships 6 gfs
Sydney 46 finals 2 premierships 6 gfs
Collingwood 38 finals 2 premierships 5gfs

So there you go the stats that matter on a quite sat night for me.

Last edited:
The prelimary final v Melbourne will be the Eagles fifty first final since inception iin 1987.
Since 1987 the list of most final appearances
Geelong 54 finals 3 premierships 7 gf s
Eagles 50 finals 3 premierships 6 gfs
Hawthorn 48 finals 5 premierships 6 gfs
Sydney 46 finals 2 premierships 6 gfs
Collingwood 38 finals 2 premierships 5gfs

So there you go the stats that matter on a quite sat night for me.
Where do Brissie fit into that matrix?

Where's the security? If this was an AFL game, he would have been swamped by security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back