Random Discussion Thread 138- Irregular Trumpet Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely irrelevant when you consider the % of non-Indigenous people in this country.

Change the date.

Why is it irrelevant? Don't the majority get a say anymore? The date will not change .....get over it.

Why is it irrelevant? Don't the majority get a say anymore? The date will not change .....get over it.
Had a good debate about it today over snaggas. I can see it changing sometime in the nearish future.

As if any of those 75% or whatever will care after cracking open their tenth...

Nobody will be hurt by it changing but many people will be happier. It seems an obvious decision.

Treat Jan 26 as a day more for remembrance than for not remembering the morning after...

So by that same logic do you back the push to rename Christmas to just a generic holiday like some retail places have done?

Nobody is hurt by renaming it, and a lot of people from other religious denominations are happier.

Setting a precedence to change something that's part of the country's identity can be a slippery slope.

Last edited:
So by that same logic do you back the push to rename Christmas to just a generic holiday like some retail places have done?

Nobody is hurt by renaming it, and a lot of people from other religious denominations are happier.

Setting a precedence to change something that's part of the country's identity can be a slippery slope.
Explain how that example is comparable to what was basically cultural genocide.

A change of the date would be a significant step forward for our combined national identity, in a similar vein to the sorry speech.

Explain how that example is comparable to what was basically cultural genocide. Really weird example.

Like it or not Australia Day is part of the country's identity.

By changing the date or abolishing it all together it you are trying to change the cultural identity.

It's the same way as a Christian country Christmas is observed, however due to trying to appease the minority religions and the people sympathetic to them some people are trying to make it a generic day.

That is my point.

What the Indigenous has suffered is nothing to be glossed over, their treatment is a blight on the country's history. Moving it to another day isn't going to change that, it's a token gesture at best.

The thing is, we’ll never be able to empathise with how Indigenous Australians feel about ‘Invasion Day’. How could the mainstream Australian? We can’t, and never will be able to.

If my Indigenous friends want it changed, then I’ll support them.

Like it or not Australia Day is part of the country's identity.

By changing the date or abolishing it all together it you are trying to change the cultural identity.

It's the same way as a Christian country Christmas is observed, however due to trying to appease the minority religions and the people sympathetic to them some people are trying to make it a generic day.

That is my point.

What the Indigenous has suffered is nothing to be glossed over, their treatment is a blight on the country's history. Moving it to another day isn't going to change that, it's a token gesture at best.
You don’t think having the day on the date the invaders landed and began the genocide is insensitive, grossly inappropriate? How about the day they were granted the vote? That seems like a more appropriate event to celebrate to me, and one that would make me proud to be Australian. (Or ashamed it took that long...)

The fact you think it would be a token gesture, I’d respond with my post above. How do you know it’s a token gesture to them?

The thing is, we’ll never be able to empathise with how Indigenous Australians feel about ‘Invasion Day’. How could the mainstream Australian? We can’t, and never will be able to.

If my Indigenous friends want it changed, then I’ll support them.

We won't, but it is what it is. The only true way to absolve the country of its past sins to the indigenous would be to abolish it's recognition of it's foundation all together, which is pretty much saying all out history should be binned with it good and bad.

In any case 75% of the population don't want the day changed. Until that swings the minority can be as outraged and vocal about it as they like, but the people have spoken.

Changing the day due to a minority of people is a dangerous precedent to set.

We won't, but it is what it is. The only true way to absolve the country of its past sins to the indigenous would be to abolish it's recognition of it's foundation all together, which is pretty much saying all out history should be binned with it good and bad.

In any case 75% of the population don't want the day changed. Until that swings the minority can be as outraged and vocal about it as they like, but the people have spoken.

As if some result on some bullshit poll means anything. Just because a majority of people (statistically speaking they are not the oppressed in this situation, of course) believes something, does not make them right. That is if you even believe the data of said polls. Which I don’t, 71% of the time.

How many of the 75% would care in 2 years if the date changed? I’d venture hardly any, as long as they just got a day off elsewhere, which is what most of them care about. You telling me the wants of the majority, who want to deck themselves out in face paint, play backyard, watch fireworks and get pissed is more important than our national day being one of significant pain for our original inhabitants?

You make it sound like we’re losing the fabric of our identity but it’s only been 20 odd years that it’s even been a holiday that people have exploited...erm...enjoyed (myself included, tbf).

Yeah, screw em, because they’re the minority hey. I’d argue that’s also a dangerous precedent to set. Minority or not it’s the right thing to do, and I don’t think the majority would even care that much in the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might leave it there kane249 - not just because you’re a great poster and I’d be scared of losing this convo haha - but because to me it’s such an obvious change in the name of human decency that I’m likely to get upset. I think that 75 is exaggerated but you’re right in that most at this stage probably want to stick to the status quo. Let’s see what happens hey.

Good day sir.

Lets enjoy this conversation in 364 days.

Government just bunkers down on Aus Day plays the straight bat knowing in 24 hrs no one will give 2 shits about the issue until the following year.

Its probably the government's easiest issue to deal with.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can’t really get into Novak eh

Something about him just grates me. He’s great in interviews etc but shit I dunno, he just ain’t very likeable.

I'm not a flag waver or oi oi oier and basically ignore Australia day, so which day it's on doesn't make much difference to me, however the day Cpt Cook turned up in Sydney seems to be a curious day to celebrate the nation, surely some date which is relevant to the joining together of all the states as a nation would be more appropriate.

I'm not a flag waver or oi oi oier and basically ignore Australia day, so which day it's on doesn't make much difference to me, however the day Cpt Cook turned up in Sydney seems to be a curious day to celebrate the nation, surely some date which is relevant to the joining together of all the states as a nation would be more appropriate.

I think you will find that Cook was elsewhere that day..........

Haha, right you are, got my NSW history confused.:$:$:$ I'll stick with my point about a more appropriate date though.
Pretty poor effort from an old sea dog!!
Maybe we should make it the day Bon Scott reached the South Pole?😁

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back