Rank the best coaches in the AFL 1- 16.

Remove this Banner Ad

How can people rate Thompson ahead of Thomas??? GT started the coaching caper later then MT, his list was worse and he's achieved higher results quicker???

Matthews
Sheedy
Pagan
Malthouse (though I don't rate him personally)
Williams

Preimership coaches are proven against those that haven't won one

Roos
Eade
Wallace
Daniher
Worsfold

Guys that have been in the caper for a few years and have been there abouts

Thomas
Thompson
Connelly

Guys a step behind this other group... need to prove 1 good season wasn't a fluke

Laidley
Craig

Achieved NOTHING, no signs that they can coach YET

Clarkson... won't rate him til I see da footy

I'd rate Williams pretty high to win a flag without Primus and Francou. Granted they still had a very good team, but they didn't have as good a list as Brisbane, and have been up for just as long, only Chocco realised this year how to coach to a flag.

Think Bomber Thompson is fairly rated as being up there, we were expected to finish bottom four this year and finished top four. Probably had a decent fixture, but it was not exactly easy with 4 or 5 interstate games. Also had a shocking start with injuries and lost most of our midfield to injury towards the end of the season.

Thomas has got an awesome lineup with that forward line, and I think he should be just below Bomber, but I think he proved this year that he can in fact coach, and is not just a nutcase like everyone thought.

Connelly was looking the goods until this season, and his rating dropped accordingly, just needs the hardness to become a good coach. Pagan, Matthews and Sheedy should be at the top of any list. They are the proven coaches who get the best out of their teams. Pagan is over acheiving with Carlton, Matthews won 3 flags on the trot and Sheeds just keeps on making the finals. Malthouse would be in that lot with his successive GF appearances, that team overachieved thanks to Mick, but this year they had injuries and he couldn't do much about it, so consequently dropped of the radar, but is still up there.

Daniher is lacking in consistency, will improve his rating by taking Melbourne into the 8 this year. Is only this one step away from becoming a very good coach. Roos is in a simliar position, except he is always thereabouts, but can't quite make the big one. Is one step from the top group. Worsfold fits in this middle group with his middle of the road finishes, but he will need to finish higher if he is to become a very good coach and importantly keep his job. With most coaches being fairly secure at the moment, he could be a target in the near future if his team does not improve.

Wallace and Eade are proven performers, but had good teams. Now comes the tester, can they succeed with bottom teams?

Clarkson and Craig are unproven and cannot be rated at this stage, although Craig did alright at the end of last year.

Laidley I'm undecided on. He finishes just outside the 8 each year and his team seems to lose quality players after each season. Needs a few young players to step up, then we will see whether he is capable of taking the Roos to the next step.

understudy said:
Never taken a team to the finals. Where do you rate him?

Well I definitely wouldnt rank him in the top but he'd have to fall somewhere around the middle I think not down 15-16 for sure maybe around 11-12

WestCat said:
Wallace and Eade are proven performers, but had good teams. Now comes the tester, can they succeed with bottom teams?

No they didn't. Wallace and Eade took over bottom teams. The Doggies and the Swans were cellar dwellers when they started coaching.

1 Matthews
2 Williams
3 Sheedy
4 Malthouse
5 Pagan
6 Roos
7 Wallace
8 Worsfold
9 Thompson
10 Daniher
11 Eade
12 Thomas
13 Laidley
14 Connolly
15 Craig
16 Clarkson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pagan is the best coach in the league, purely in terms of coaching ability. if you want to throw in media skills then sheedy is good too, but malthouse is average he ran west coast into the ground and will do the same with collingwood. matthews ran collingwood into the ground and will do the same with brisbane, he was lucky to walk into a great brisbane side, he's not as good as you all think. Williams is a fantastic coach too i reckon, i love his inimitable style, very passionate man.

Jock Mchale
Jock Mchale
Jock Mchale
Jock Mchale
Jock Mchale
Jock Mchale
Jock Mchale
Jock Mchale
Jock Mchale
Jock Mchale
Jock Mchale
Jock Mchale
Jock Mchale
Jock Mchale
Jock Mchale
Phonse Kyne

best
Mathews (Brisbane)
Pagan (Carlton)
Williams (Port Adelaide)
Sheedy (Essendon)
Roos (Sydney)
Thompson (Geelong)
Worsfold (West Coast)
Wallace (Richmond)
Eade (Bulldogs)
Malthouse (Collingwood)
Daniher (Melbourne)
Connolly (Fremantle)
Thomas (St Kilda)
Laidley (North)
worst

wont rank rookie coaches

1. Matthews. Great squad but then again there have been many great squads throughout history who have never won a flag. Will go down with the likes of Hafey, Kennedy etc.
2. Pagan. Didn't go the threepeat like Matthews did but should've won 3 in four years from 96-99. Awesome coach, and currently working miracles with Carlton.
3. Malthouse. Malthouse probably does more with less cattle than Sheedy, highlighted by his achievements with Collingwood. Set new standards with his squads at West Coast with their professionalism and didn't do too badly at Footscray either.
4. Sheedy. Been going for so long for a reason. Has now overseen the development of 2 champion groups who both took out 2 premierships each. In reality the "Baby Bombers" should've taken a third in 1999 but for bloody Fraser Brown.
5. Wallace. I rate this guy very, very highly on the basis of what he achieved with not too much depth at Footscray, who were in reality one of the top three teams of 97 after StKilda and Geelong, this after their fairly abysmal season of 1996 (highlighted well in "Year of the Dog"). An excellent coach and a great motivator.
6. Williams. And up yours, Allan Scott! Great usage of a "bits-and-pieces" squad this year, to take them to a flag. And great passion, too.
7. Thompson. In terms of seasons, his statistics don't read that well; relative to his squad, he has had 2 fairly good seasons (2000, 2002), 2 fairly ordinary seasons (2001, 2003) and one great season (2004). But he has built up this now-quite-impressive squad from scratch and has integrated his players well into the sort of game he wants to play and now has them all playing for each other with a great brand of footy.
8. Roos. Really, he could finish anywhere between here and 10th because the plan he instigates is so damn simple but he has got his charges playing for him and each other and he has made Sydney a force when it really shouldn't be. Makes the game look horrible though.
9. Thomas. Genuinely cares for his players and it shows both on and off the field. Has them playing a great gameplan and has successfully integrated young with old. Great cattle given to him, though.
10. Eade. Runs on the board, really, although Eade did destroy the game as a spectacle somewhat. His work with Lockett was quite outstanding.
11. Daniher. Finally became a decent coach this year when he started spruiking on behalf of the club, and wasn't afraid to stick his neck out. Made some inspired moves such as Green into the midfield and Rivers into the first 18's CHB position.
12. Laidley. Ain't got a whole lot of cattle to work with and has done quite well out of it. Yes, we know that he hasn't led North to a top eight finish yet but they should've done so this year and they don't have the quality of a top-eight side. Shinboner spirit still lives on.
13. Worsfold. One of the best midfields in the competition but not that much of a foward line or backline, Worsfold has had to fashion things from bits and pieces and has done so quite successfully, on the whole, although for mine the Eagles were somewhat overrated this year. (Yes, I do know that I am a Geelong supporter). Has introduced a team spirit that wasn't there under Judge and Judd doesn't really hurt either.
14. Connolly. Hasn't really put many runs on the board yet with an awesome midfield.
Craig, Clarkson too early to judge. But I did like the whole Kokoda idea.

masai said:
Yeh I agree, if he'd said solid backline, he might have been on the right track, but midfield?. Must be on the waccy baccy.

Reckon Wallace is grossly over rated, his team of the late 90's actually had quite a few skillful players.

Pavlich, Haselby, Schammer, Bell, McManus (last name is stretching it I know)... don't forget that Bell is a champion and Haselby was in Brownlow form for much of this year.

Deej, if Malthouse ran West Coast into the ground then Pagan ran North into the ground. The fact is we have system designed for good sides to be run into the ground. The better you are the worse your opportunity to draft talent.

Pagan is a good coach but let’s not forget he coached the best player of the time, had a few other seriously top rate players and an overall good squad to work with. He lost a few preliminary finals before winning one. His 2 premierships are a good achievement but no better than Matlhouse and Sheedy during the time he was at North and not as good as Mathews in the time both have been coaching. He's also been at Carlton for 2 years without a finals appearance. Not that I would have expected one but that is exactly the point. He has never achieved anything outstanding. Towards the top end yes but not clearly the best.

masai said:
Please note that it is a Cat's fan pumping the Freo midfields tyres.

There is room for alot of improvement in the Freo midfield and they may now have some players to enact a bit of action, but awesome is a strong word.

Fair enough, but I don't reckon CC is as bad a coach as rated by the Big Footy experts here.

masai said:
Please note that it is a Cat's fan pumping the Freo midfields tyres.

There is room for alot of improvement in the Freo midfield and they may now have some players to enact a bit of action, but awesome is a strong word.

mmm yes I was a little over the top given lack of depth but they do have a few stars in well, Pav, Haselby, Bell, Schammer

Remove this Banner Ad

Rank the best coaches in the AFL 1- 16.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back