Rank the premiership sides from 2007-2022

Remove this Banner Ad

So you’ve been wrong 1000 times. Melbourne get Hawks and North twice this year; that’s an advantage.
It's not about who you play but when you play them.

We're Geelong a harder prospect at the start of the season, or now?

Would Essendon be better off playing Collingwood this week when we barely have anyone over 6 foot 3 available, other later in the season when they're all available?

I said the Swans deserved to be much higher.

And Geelong had 2008 in the bag they were that good, yet Hawthorn crushed them. The umpires were the only good Geelong players in the 2008 GF. So why wouldnt Hawthorn be much higher.

Hawthorn didn't crush us. In an admittedly genius move at half time Clarko had the footy coated in the concentrated grease collections of KFC, Maccas, Hungry Jacks AND Red Rooster.

All Stuart Dew had to do was open one nostril. Slightly. He ate the ball and us alive:'(

We thrashed Richmond that year the only time we faced them didn't we? What's to say we wouldn't do it again to them in the grand final when we won every game in Melbourne that year. For an interstate side, that's pretty rare.
I dont think looking at the h&a matchup counts for anything when it comes to the richmond side of that era. Of the 12 finals the tigs played in between 17-20, 3 of them went the same way as the h&a game, 3 of them were played against sides tigs went 1-1 against during h&a and the remaining 6 went the opposite way of the h&a result.

Don't get so precious, guys. You're sounding like Carlton and Richmond supporters.

We're comparing premiership teams since over the past 16 seasons.

If Melbourne were a kick after the siren in the last home and away match away from finishing 4th, there clearly wasn't much between them and the rest of the top 4 for the majority of the season.

The fact they separated themselves in the finals series is the reason they made this list, and also the reason I have listed them ahead of a number of other premiers...
It would have been 3rd not 4th, finished 2 and half games clear of 4th. But they did finish 1st unlike Hawthorn 2008 2nd, Sydney 2012 3rd, Hawthorn 2014 2nd, Hawthorn 2015 3rd and lost a final that you’ve ranked higher.

Whats the point of this? It highlights the dominance of 2007-2009 Geelongs top end. Imo Hawks 08 would have beaten any of the geelong teams in that period, despite the immense talent on the geelong list. It wasnt a David v Goliath as has been mentioned in this thread, it was an elite team beating a team of elite individuals. The hawks played better together as a whole and geelong had the better individual high end talent.
Pffft play that game 10 times Geelong win 8 of them.

Right you are on that one.

But it doesn't mean you can't postulate about the relative strengths of the recent premiership teams.
I would love to know how many Hawks/Dogs/WCE supporters walk around postulating where their teams stack up against others etc etc. All premierships are different and hard fought won and deserved.

Well I put it in quotes because no, you don't literally have to earn it.

But in at least a few of those, exposed form showed that had the higher finishing non Vic club played it at their ground, they probably would have won. (Of course we'll never really know) So in my eyes that diminishes that flag a fraction.
In 2017 and 2019 Richmond benefited from a slice of luck, finishing 4th and playing "away" to Geelong at the G (it's a fact of life that this is a dream scenario for the MCG based teams), then 3rd and travelling to a Brisbane side that would prove they were terrible in finals at the Gabba (1-4 record 2019-2021...even 2020 Geelong thumped them). Prelims against GWS and Geelong at the G weren't too daunting (the 2018 prelim vs Collingwood in between showed that) and then interstate sides in the GF that never made it before or after.

2020 might have been the COVID cup and a weird one to assess but I still give it the most merit of Richmond flags. They had the set back against Brisbane who for once did show up in a final, bounced back against St Kilda and won a really tough match against Adelaide at AO. Then a GF at a neutral ground against a Geelong side that had won a prelim for the first time since 2011 (4 failed attempts since).

Their poor away record in 2017 and 2019 would not have ended well if they had to face 2014-2016 Sydney, 2013-2015 Freo or 2018 West Coast in away finals. If anything having no games at the G in 2020 hardened them up to overcome some of the challenges they did late in the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only if you are blind to form. Hawks had a better entire finals series than the cats. It wasnt a GF fluke, the better team won.

Play it 10 times and hawks win 6-7/10.

Led the QF 111-35 at 3qt and Put the cue in the rack, and beat the Dogs by 5 goals.

Hawthorn won both their games by 50 points. Not sure your statement is as correct as you think it is

Led the QF 111-35 at 3qt and Put the cue in the rack, and beat the Dogs by 5 goals.

Hawthorn won both their games by 50 points. Not sure your statement is as correct as you think it is
Stats i posed in another thread a while ago regarding this:

Points differentials in the 2 finals preceding the GF
Hawthorn 105
Geelong 87

Finals % (excluding GF)
Hawthorn 175.7%
Geelong 174.4%

Hawks had better finals % and better finals points differential. We beat our opponents by more = better performed finals side.

Geelong had a great finals performance as well, im not trying to take away from them just comparing them both the hawks did it a bit better.

Cats fans like to think that the 08 GF was a fluke, the entire finals series shows that it wasnt. Hawks were just that little bit better.

8/10 to geelong? you can dream buddy.

Stats i posed in another thread a while ago regarding this:

Points differentials in the 2 finals preceding the GF
Hawthorn 105
Geelong 87

Finals % (excluding GF)
Hawthorn 175.7%
Geelong 174.4%

Hawks had better finals % and better finals points differential. We beat our opponents by more = better performed finals side.

Geelong had a great finals performance as well, im not trying to take away from them just comparing them both the hawks did it a bit better.

Cats fans like to think that the 08 GF was a fluke, the entire finals series shows that it wasnt. Hawks were just that little bit better.

8/10 to geelong? you can dream buddy.

No one thinks it was a fluke a good side played a good game and beat us. Two games worth of form preceding it doesn’t change the fact that one side in it went 21-1 and the other went 17-5.

The fact that we had won 43 out of the previous 44 games and went on to start 2009 with 13 consecutive wins is probably a better sample size to draw a ‘what would happen if those sides met 10 times’ theory from wouldn’t it? 56-2 is a better guide than 2-0 with a marginally higher percentage

No one thinks it was a fluke a good side played a good game and beat us. Two games worth of form preceding it doesn’t change the fact that one side in it went 21-1 and the other went 17-5.

The fact that we had won 43 out of the previous 44 games and went on to start 2009 with 13 consecutive wins is probably a better sample size to draw a ‘what would happen if those sides met 10 times’ theory from wouldn’t it? 56-2 is a better guide than 2-0 with a marginally higher percentage
H&A season form doesnt transfer to finals. Finals is a different level of intensity. Cats cruising through H&A doesnt count for anything.

Hawks timed their preparation to peak during finals and it worked.

You say cats would win 8/10 that GF, but also say hawks win wasnt a fluke?

H&A season form doesnt transfer to finals. Finals is a different level of intensity. Cats cruising through H&A doesnt count for anything.

Hawks timed their preparation to peak during finals and it worked.

You say cats would win 8/10 that GF, but also say hawks win wasnt a fluke?

Neither does 2 per cent of differential

Of course it wasn’t a fluke. A fluke would be a side beating us who you wouldn’t give any chance to. I literally put money on hawthorn to win that game. A 20 per cent chance isn’t a fluke mate. A 5 per cent chance would be a fluke

Im affraid of heights, so hawks being number 1 makes me not want to look down at the rest
People moan about Hawthorn supporters having it easy but I disagree. I think since '91 it's been hard earned. Lots of time at the bottom to reload for '08, the three peat a nice reward starting 5 years later, some straight setters and now a prolonged period out of the finals. Whereas during the 70s and 80s you were hard pressed to keep them away from the cup. Anyone 60 years or older has had an impeccable ride. If you were born late 80s or later, it's been a mixed bag - held up by the mostly glorious '08-'15 stretch.

Only if you are blind to form. Hawks had a better entire finals series than the cats.
I mean, that's true I guess, but it's pretty marginal. The QFs and PFs featuring Geelong and Hawthorn were all won by between 29 and 58 points. Geelong's average margin was 43.5, Hawthorn's was 52.5.

Happy for neutrals to discuss the rest I.e. 'if 2008 Hawthorn played 2008 Geelong 10 times, what would be the W/L?'

Are many rating Hawthorn 2013 higher than 2014 because of Buddy?

2014 was a stellar GF performance imo. The best of the Hawthorn flags
I'm inclined to agree because Sydney had an outstanding season and were favourites. As well as most of the side being premiers so in theory not having the jitters of Freo '13 or West Coast '15. I'd say the 2014 edition of Geelong and then Port were two weaker finalists to beat in the lead up though. One Hawthorn managed comfortably, one gave them a right old scare.

2013 you thumped Sydney and did overcome the Kennet curse in a nail biter against a Geelong side that had as strong a season as 2014 Sydney. Freo at least were a more gritty side to overcome on GF day and had proved some away form by beating the Cats in Geelong.

Even minus Buddy I'd probably pick the more ruthless 2014 Hawks to win a one off GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rank the premiership sides from 2007-2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back