mailman4

Senior List
Mar 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Celtics, Chelsea.
Over the years I've been and still am a big non-fan of raph clarke but his game today was fantastic. First of he kept West Coast's most dangerous forward, LeCras, to only 14 touches (non of real damaging effect) and no goals. But it was also his presence across half back that was great, some great intercepting marks, two gutsy backing back efforts that really got us going in the 3rd and most importantly great decision making...no real "oh shit what are you thinking Raph" moments.

I'm still not a fan of him as a player and don't think he is a long term answer in defense but if he can keep this kind of form i think i'll begin to see him a new light.

Never thought I'd say this but...great game Raph!

Re: Raph Clarke - Credit where credits due

A chance to get some Brownlow votes for the first time in his career :thumbsu:

He was simply superb. He destroyed LeCras, who starting giving away free kicks out of frustration late in the game. He was brave, kept running (as he always does, like in the Prelim v the Doggies), read the play well and won the hard ball.

As the key candidate before the game to eventually make way for Jesse Smith, he has probably staved that off for a while. Hopefully he can snare an elusive Brownlow vote, although I think Lenny has the three sewn up.

I'm proud to say I've always been a defender of Raph. He's had problems with injuries and it's taken him a while to find form and get up to speed with the game. One game doesn't mean he's a superstar but it looks as though he knows what to do during the game more so than in the past.

I learned my lesson when I constantly criticised Blake and now he's one of our most reliable players. Some players take more time than others to develop and they just need some belief from the coaches and others while they get their confidence up.

Well done Raph, keep it going now.

He was superb today. In our best 3-4 players I think.
Running back with the flight = defining career moment, imo.

I agree, he played a great game. My Dad is the biggest Raph basher to an embaressing degree, so I tend to highlight the good stuff he does, which just fires up the old boy even more.

At the end of the game I mentioned Raph played a great game & he did acknowledge that like the commentators mentioned Gwilt played a great courageous game, Raph's contribution was an out of bounds on the full :) funny old bloke. Hope Raph can really get some consistency into his game & make the Raph bashers eat their words :)

Lovely return to form.

Congrats Raph - great match - especially after half time - you got better as time went on.

The only indiginous player currently playing for us.

Great game Raph, very impressed. I've also been critical of some of his games in the past but today found myself cheering on his efforts. Keep up the good work :thumbsu:

One for the Raph defenders. :thumbsu:

I'm just so happy for him.

He really does have to follow it up now. Even those of us who continually find ourselves defending him concede he's not consistent and doesn't do himself any favours with the supporters so hopefully he takes a lot of confidence out of the performance and goes on with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lovely return to form.

Congrats Raph - great match - especially after half time - you got better as time went on.

Nick Winmar?

Nick Winmar?

Who?

Actually he appeared on an injury list last week so he does exist!

I can't wait to see him play.

I'm sure Kildonan was refering to the 22 that were on the field today.

Raph changed the game

I always thought if Raph was in we lose!

His GUTS today was a game changing event

All the best to Raph and the SAINTS for the rest of the year !

Hopefully continues with it.

Chances are he'll follow it up with a less than impressive game next week!

Never been an admirer, but of course, not a basher. So I'm happy that he had a good game, and hope he can make that a more regular occurrence. Raph, Gilbert, Fisher and Gram running off half back in full flight....with a certain Jesse W. Smith waiting in the wings, is a rather juicy prospect.

Great game today. Unfortunately, this is not the first time he has played a great match and then gone on to play some poor ones. Needs to keep it going, i'm not getting too excited yet, even more so with the memory of 2009 gf in the back of my mind.

I admit, I am a massive critic of Raph but today he actually impressed me. Showed courage, showed awareness and disposed of it pretty well. 3 things that he has struggled over his whole career.

Keep going Raph, prove us wrong.

The new Raph in 2008 was fantastic. I was more than disappointed when he played the entire 2009 season with very little in the way of injury, but not capturing that form from 2008.
Here's hoping he can string a few together.
We were lucky this year that Gwilt started so strongly, If Raph can make the leap to the next level as well we are in business.

Gwilt's emergence this year has been fantastic.
If Raph gets some consistency (that is, not fumbling so often and disposing of it well) we'll be fine, I agree.

I must admit I've been critical of Raph in the past but that's only due to the fact he doesn't live up to his potential often enough.

Like Lyon said recently, he's like the girl with the curl, when he's good he is very very good and when he's bad he is horrid. Today he was very very good and a matchwinner, the test for him is to keep up that sort of form consistently which he hasn't done in the past.

Hopefully this match will be a turning point for him as he could be a real X-factor for us this season.

Nick Winmar?

I'm sure Kildonan was refering to the 22 that were on the field today.

That's why I worded it the way I did.

We have had no other indiginous player represent St Kilda in H&A matches this year and the likelihood is that will remain so for the rest of this year.

I can't wait to see Nick Winmar play either, I just think St Kilda are underrepresented by indiginous players at this time.

Bloody Lovett didn't help that situation.

Who?

Actually he appeared on an injury list last week so he does exist!

Hooray! Now all we need is for those blasted aliens to return Dempster and all our players are accounted for!
I think Rossy needs to set up a roll call at the beginning of every training, that should solve our problems :D

It says he copped a stress fracture to the shin, which is weird, I've seen alot of foot stress fractures, but not shins...too much running work methinks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Raph Clarke - credit where credit is due

Remove this Banner Ad

Back