Raph Clarke - credit where credit is due

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Raph Clarke - Credit where credits due

Thanks mate. I just joined last night & was very surprised it was still available. I've used it (Simon Templar) for years in footy tipping comps.

I didn't think it was all that clever but I'll accept your accolades. I suppose you have to be of a certain age to appreciate it.

i think it shows peoples age if they even know who he is....

Saints supporters behind me at the Crows game....
"what do you think of Raph "
"they should get rid of him"
" Yeah really bad decision making"

I felt like saying "he's been a lot better lately", but Raph took the cue and kicked it to a player under pressure, who turned it over resulting in a goal.

I was pretty happy with him though, and the stats say he had more spoils than anyone else.

He seems to receive the ball under pressure more than any other Saint backman. Is this because he runs to the wrong spots, or because the other Saints subconciously pick on him, or dumb luck?

He seems to receive the ball under pressure more than any other Saint backman. Is this because he runs to the wrong spots, or because the other Saints subconciously pick on him, or dumb luck?

He usually comes in as the helper, ie is always at the contest with a teammate who has usually spoilt the ball or is giving off a quick handball. His instincts are usually always correct in terms of decision making, but his execution can let him down as he always seems to "massage" a kick rather than kick it hard like Goddard.

Revenge :D

To be honest he seemed to be thriving under pressure on Saturday.
Keep it up Raph! :thumbsu:

At this rate it's going to be a very hard decision when Gram is fit.

From what I have read he has kept his opponant scoreless the last 2 games. I've always loved Raph and defended and thought that there are other players who have played pretty bad games yet he always get the flak. But I do understand that he is our Travis Varcoe.

i reckon he has excelled in gram's absence. the challenge for raph is to remain consistent as his career has been quite inconsistent so far. i've been a so called raph hater but only becoz he's played many a poor game. he's all good in my books as long as he performs to the standard that we know he is capable of.

From what I have read he has kept his opponant scoreless the last 2 games. I've always loved Raph and defended and thought that there are other players who have played pretty bad games yet he always get the flak. But I do understand that he is our Travis Varcoe.

Porplyzia (I think he was Raph's opponent) kicked one, but Raph was still solid.

It's just that inconsistency factor, and on a good team, a bad player stands out. Unfortunately, Raph has enough bad games to pin it to him. Just makes poor decisions sometimes, for whatever reason. Really hope he does well, but you can't help but get frustrated sometimes at him when he makes some silly mistakes. Has been good after being dropped to the VFL, and maybe he realised that he needed to lift a bit.

Let's hope 2010 is the year of the Raph.

i told my mate during the 08 finals series that i would be getting raphs number on my back im finally gonna do it tommorow before the game, is there anyone else out there with his number on their back and what is the reaction haha

i told my mate during the 08 finals series that i would be getting raphs number on my back im finally gonna do it tommorow before the game, is there anyone else out there with his number on their back and what is the reaction haha

Hmmm, better stick to the lower levels then, If you were up the top with Raph's number on, there's a good chance you could trip over and fall downstairs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was interesting after the game tonight on 3aw Tony Shaw asked Goddard about raph, he didnt hold back at all said he doesnt train hard enough and doesnt eat properly when having time off. Said he needs to work on these things cause the 1 percenters add up.
thought that was interesting, maybe trying to throw a challenge to raph..

that is interesting. i always thought raph was the type that tried hard but just didn't have the talent, dissappointing to hear that. wasn't bad tonight but jeez he is a shocking decision maker linking up off half back, just can't decide where to go quick enough.

I agree, but at the same time has shown some significant improvement over the past few weeks.

Was interesting after the game tonight on 3aw Tony Shaw asked Goddard about raph, he didnt hold back at all said he doesnt train hard enough and doesnt eat properly when having time off. Said he needs to work on these things cause the 1 percenters add up.
If thats true it explains a lot. For the love of me I have been trying to see the big improvements he has made but I can't. He did a couple of things in the west coast game, but it looks like he is reverting back to his old habits, very sloppy disposal, poor delivery to team mates, panicky, didn't crash into a pack when he should have last night, too much uncontested possession. I really wish we had someone competing for his spot. As a side line, whats happened to Schnieder?

I dont think its always Raphs fault though. Most of the times he recieves the ball his teammates have sold him into trouble in doing so. They pass to him when he's immense pressure and then he has to take them on and sometimes gets caught. Its not just once or twice it seems to happen every week to him.

raph's always good for a couple of goals.....for the opposition.

he wasn't awful last night and got plenty of the ball but if he wants to cement a spot in the side he really needs to iron out his deficiencies, especially being a backman. his turnovers are always so costly and generally end up in a scoring opportunity for the opposition. there prolly isn't anyone that should be picked ahead of him either. i'd drop eddy or even geary before raph.

I dont think its always Raphs fault though. Most of the times he recieves the ball his teammates have sold him into trouble in doing so. They pass to him when he's immense pressure and then he has to take them on and sometimes gets caught. Its not just once or twice it seems to happen every week to him.
That's rubbish, I can't ever remember seeing what you described happen. More likely the other way round. In fact he did it to someone in the 1st quarter last night.

raph's always good for a couple of goals.....for the opposition.

he wasn't awful last night and got plenty of the ball but if he wants to cement a spot in the side he really needs to iron out his deficiencies, especially being a backman. his turnovers are always so costly and generally end up in a scoring opportunity for the opposition. there prolly isn't anyone that should be picked ahead of him either. i'd drop eddy or even geary before raph.
Pretty much how I see it too. He seems quite indecisive at times & his execution lets him down. I think he's getting better with every game

Are you sure he said that about Clarke and not about Armitage ?

Clarke is one of our fittest players (fitter than Goddard who has only lost the extra kilos he carried around in his early years last year) and I have never heard any comments about his lack training commitment (he may not be a Harvey or Hayes, but then again, neither is Goddard).

In any event, if indeed he said something along those lines, I think it is very disappointing to see that Goddard considers it appropriate to publicly criticise one of his teammates. Poor form !

And no need to waste any time on the Clarke haters who will use this thread (which is about giving him credit) to express their hatred after a win and Clarke playing well.

That's rubbish, I can't ever remember seeing what you described happen. More likely the other way round. In fact he did it to someone in the 1st quarter last night.

Pretty much how I see it too. He seems quite indecisive at times & his execution lets him down. I think he's getting better with every game

Totally agree.

Raph seems to position himself a lot of the back of pack areas for the relieving hand pass so he can get away.

To his credit he will take a player on and normally beat the first bloke, it's the basic skill error that normally follows which is the issue. And normally, that error is made when he is not under pressure.

Totally agree.

Raph seems to position himself a lot of the back of pack areas for the relieving hand pass so he can get away.

To his credit he will take a player on and normally beat the first bloke, it's the basic skill error that normally follows which is the issue. And normally, that error is made when he is not under pressure.

To me thats the big improvement he has made.
He also seems to be a lot calmer under pressure than I've seen from him in the past.
I'm not normally a fan of his, but I'm happy with him over the last few weeks. I always said he will need to improve to hold his spot in the future and he has. It's up to him and Jesse Smith if he can keep his spot in the future.

Are you sure he said that about Clarke and not about Armitage ?

Clarke is one of our fittest players (fitter than Goddard who has only lost the extra kilos he carried around in his early years last year) and I have never heard any comments about his lack training commitment (he may not be a Harvey or Hayes, but then again, neither is Goddard).

In any event, if indeed he said something along those lines, I think it is very disappointing to see that Goddard considers it appropriate to publicly criticise one of his teammates. Poor form !

And no need to waste any time on the Clarke haters who will use this thread (which is about giving him credit) to express their hatred after a win and Clarke playing well.

Yes it was clarke, why the hate for Armitage?

Goddard was not criticising raph, he was trying to help him by being honest..

Remove this Banner Ad

Raph Clarke - credit where credit is due

Remove this Banner Ad

Back