Roast Ratten and selectors!

Remove this Banner Ad

keep your pants on... time will tell... davies looks tough, and the other two look good...

mcguire is broken. let him rust in the brisbane heat with fev and the rest of the dream team.

We are obviously placing our faith in:

Henderson
Waite
Kreuzer
Hampson
O'hAilpin
Thornton
Bower
Jamison
Austin
Warnock
Jacobs
err and Fisher

to fill 2 ruck spots, 2 key forward spots, 2 key back spots and tall flanker spots.

Meaning we could get 4 tall injuries and cope or 6 if you just have the likes of Walker as tallish flankers.

We'd need to have a terrible run to need more but I am sure we will be looking at some interesting rookie selections.

no tall forward?
no key defender?
no matt mcguire?
extra midfielders when we obvuisly have that covered?

:confused:
.....and we don't have "key defenders" covered?

Jamison, Bower, Thornton, Waite, Austin.......not sure how many more you think we need.

Tall forwards - might have been nice, but clearly they didn't rate Talia, so why reach for one? Forwards are overrated, defences and midfields win flags. Dig something up to prove that wrong.;)

If you followed the press this week from the club you would have known we weren't going to take Mcguire in the ND. 3 selections only, and we were going to pick kids.
Can't stop the Hawks or Lions or whoever else picking him.

This is bullshit. Are we going to be playing football or limbo next year? Looks like the only prospects they scouted were at Spring Carnival.

Honestly. I'm sick of this "But look at the bulldogs" rubbish. They didn't choose to be in that scenario. I understand the need to keep a steady flow of young midfielders given their short shelf life, but no key positions? Obviously I don't have have the know-how that they do, but what are they trying to prove? When was the last time we even drafted a KP?

Hope they've got an ace up the sleeve for the rookie draft, otherwise its gonna be bleak next year.

oh dear, here they come :rolleyes:...
no tall forward? - henderson, waite, kreuzer, austin, O'hAilpin, Hampson, Labi... Fisher.

no key defender - jamison, thornton, waite, bower, O'hAilpin.

no matt mcguire - not worries tbh.

extra midfielders when we obvuisly have that covered - no, we lacked genuine quality onballers last year, we had bugger all that were worthy of rotating through the guts and Stevens has gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with you guys.... Lucas looks good and all, but seriously, a football list needs BALANCE!
You're splitting hairs comparing Lucas, Talia, and Black on talent, so why not let needs be the deciding factor.

I'm with you guys.... Lucas looks good and all, but seriously, a football list needs BALANCE!
You're splitting hairs comparing Lucas, Talia, and Black on talent, so why not let needs be the deciding factor.

What if the Club thinks Lucas is a 90% certainty to play 200 games of football, and Talia only a 50% chance?

It has to be best available.

I agree with you in terms of potential in key forwards, henderson waite, kreuzeretc.But please dont include hampson and fisher. One cant mark or kick as yet and the other cant kick beyond 30 metres. We needed another backman to allow waite to go forward more often. Thats why i thought they were going to recruit Maguire. I thought Talia was a monty also. Obviously our brains trust think we dont have enough midfielders, rotating through?

According to WH, Davies has grown to 191cm and was chosen as a key defender.

Actually played CHB during the year... so yeah. And if he grows a couple more cm's it could sort this question at AFL.

Unknowns - Austin as a competent fwd; Henderson could become a gun in which case we may really only require a half decent KP sidekick considering our strong mid (see Austin); Labi is a true unknown he is hoped will grow a bit as well; Hampson as all the physical tools to be a good forward if can develop the other necessary tools as well; rookie draft - majak daw, serhat temel, jack fitzpatrick (i don't think he went); future poaching with salary cap space.

Very happy with Kane Lucas, don't know much about the other boys but not sure if there were any quality KPP's left around their mark, so no point stretching.

We passed up the player that will be hands down the best player in this draft but we picked up the guy who I expect to be an elite midfielder.

Bottom line - without an A++ midfield you don't win premierships. Geelong have proven that you don't need A++ key position players to win them.

Lucas > Talia is the correct call as mad as I am that we didn't draft him.

Besides, Lucas would have beaten Talia hands down in the psychological testing and I can tell you now that psychological testing is where the difference in roughly comparable talent lays.

If Adelaide can get an ounce of aggression out of Talia then they'll have done well. He floats and drifts too much and that's why Carlton didn't end up selecting him. On the other hand from what my cousin tells (former AFL player living in WA) me Kane Lucas is a beast who wins the hard ball more often than not.

From modern AFL football they compare him to Pendlebury but if you want to compare him to a former Carlton player compare him to Dean Rice (when at St Kilda) 0before all the injuries took his ability to play in the midfield or as a cross between Camporeale and Hickmott.

Wish we had Talia and will watch him closely in Adelaide. More than happy.

Glad other teams thought the same of Black as I did. (see my post earlier today in the 'who I don't want' thread).

talia was not a definate guaranteed out and out star. I would have been happy with him but we needed extra quality in the midfield. We have some pretty good talls already, just that injuries and youth and having to play with Fevola has disguised that. Watch and learn folks...

Funny how 2 months ago everyone was saying how thin the draft was and how the top 10 were good but after that, rubbish....

The draft IS/WAS THIN AT BEST......

The talls in this draft were not rated by most recruiters compared to the last 5 drafts...

How many people were talking about Butcher/ Temel???

These 2 were just not rated by recruiters they were pumped up on forum boards for people to jump on their band wagons...

Perfect selection by the recruiters...

Quality player with our 1st pick...

only time will tell. there the recruiters not us. so they must have a clear idea. about why some of the players haven been mentioned werent rated to the club. only time will tell. n i cant wait to see them play. its good we didnt get goose. coz u know what it shows. it shows that our club have lots of confidence and faith on the players we have now. we'll see how they go. lucas moves alright, maybe thats why when stevo retire looking more at lucas. kicks it nice

What if the Club thinks Lucas is a 90% certainty to play 200 games of football, and Talia only a 50% chance?

It has to be best available.

The best available is never going to be a KPF or KPB. They have to be grown, and faith has to be shown. Rarely do you get a ready made in the draft (in fact, I can't think of one).

The policy can't be stuck at best available. At some point someone's going to have to go out on a limb and take a chance on a tall kid and teach him the trade.

Hopefully with Henderson he'll just be placed at FF and groomed for that position, and that position alone.

I guess its frustrating not knowing what are they think, or what are the plans for next year. An explanation of the thought processes would be great! If only to help us slower kids keep up :p

I really wanted Talia but very happy with Lucas :thumbsu::):thumbsu:

Kane Lucas
Height: 188cm
Weight: 79kg
DOB: 26/6/91
Possision/s: Midfield/HFF/Wing
Style: Scott Pendlebury

Marcus Davies
Height: 191cm (SEN interviewed our seletor and said he was 191cm)
Weight: 85kg (Has a very good build apparently - strong)
DOB: 4/6/91
Possision/s: HBF/Wing
Style: Lindsay Gilbee/Jason Gram

Rohan Kerr
Height: 184cm
Weight: 80kg
DOB: 17/11/91
Possision/s: HFF/Midfield
Style: ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Ratten and selectors!

Remove this Banner Ad