News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

THE Carlton Football Club can confirm that after 26 years within the AFL industry, Director of High Performance Andrew Russell will step away from football at the conclusion of the 2024 AFL season.

Following six seasons at the Blues, in which time he led high performance, Russell will conclude his time at the Club, with his current contract set to expire at season’s end.

Russell was on the bench yesterday so certainly still involved.

I don’t know why anyone would have thought he isn’t still involved. He is contracted until the end of 2024. He still has duties at the club to fulfill.

I acknowledge that we would give up goals every quarter in red time because we were gassed.
We dont do that now.
Our team now fights for the full 4 quarters, generally.

Think that has more to do with the more mature bodies vs years gone by where we were playing kids/under developed bodies.

Like I said, buck stops with who's in charge... always has and always will...

Same. There seems to be a strange amount of bitterness toward him.

Why is it strange?

Many believe that our injury list has really cost us this year... of course they're going to be bitter about the person who is supposed to ensure our players are up and running...

Late last year we had a significant injury list. Mid this season another significant injury list, late this season possibly the worst injury list we've had in club history...

It's not a bitterness toward him personally, it's toward the results his program has delivered.

Anyway, best thing for us now is to move on and find a replacement who can do a better job.

Why is it strange?

Many believe that our injury list has really cost us this year... of course they're going to be bitter about the person who is supposed to ensure our players are up and running...

Late last year we had a significant injury list. Mid this season another significant injury list, late this season possibly the worst injury list we've had in club history...

It's not a bitterness toward him personally, it's toward the results his program has delivered.

Anyway, best thing for us now is to move on and find a replacement who can do a better job.
it is not being expressed that way (bolded) Blue_Fusion.

Why is it strange?

I am now bitter towards him personally.

His arrogance has cost us a flag. Literally the only thing that could stop us this year was injuries. I believe we have the best list in the comp and the only thing on Russell's mind should have been keeping everyone on the park.

But the ego maniac had to make it about himself. He wanted Carlton to win the premiership off the back of his "most difficult preseason ever". I'm on record saying at the time this was insane. Weitering shouldn't be pushing himself beyond the limit in freaking January doing a 4 month calf injury. Walsh shouldn't be doing his back in Feb.

It was all ego driven nonsense.

He's lost his job for a reason - our 2024 premiership chance was lost by him - not his program - just him.

The club are trying to play nice and let him see out the year but he should have been walked months (if not years) ago.

You know there is still a large group of Carlton supporters who argue
Fitness was not Russel responsibility despite 20 on the injury list
List management is not Austin's responsibility despite a lack of key defenders, pace & good users of the football
The appointment of key roles @ the club has nothing to do with Luke Sayers
These same people bang on about Stephen Silvagni, who left 4 years ago.
Please explain the logic

I know many want Burgess as the replacement for Russell but I remember him once saying that his mantra is to essentially flog the players and make them push through pain and niggles to build resilience and condition them. I don’t think our injury prone list could handle that.

The new fitness/S&C guy, whoever it is we get, is going to have to find the balance between getting our players fit enough to run out the season and not fade in 4th quarters but also not push them to breaking point. There isn’t a blanket one size fits all approach to S&C and what worked for one list may not work for another. I’m firmly in the camp that you need to take a different approach based on injury history and individual player needs.

Richmond’s, Head of High Performance, has become available :coolv1:
He was fired on DAY ONE of the new CEO's tenure given their bad injury run this year.

It was based off a SINGLE year's results which the CEO said was unacceptable.

We have endured 4+ years of similar results and leave it for our Head of High Performance to resign for his own reasons and not to have the Club act on the long history of shocking results.

I applaud the Tigers for being so decisive.

That said, I would not be chasing who they let go, I would be finding the best.

He was fired on DAY ONE of the new CEO's tenure given their bad injury run this year.

We have endured 4+ years of similar results and leave it for our Head of High Performance to resign for his own reasons and not to have the Club act on the long history of shocking results.

It was a joke mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I acknowledge that we would give up goals every quarter in red time because we were gassed.
We dont do that now.
except the three red time goals we conceded on Sunday … including the Higgins goal with 13 seconds remaining in the 4th.

We still have so far to go to being a professional sporting club.

Whilst we meander through 6+ years of incredibly bad player fitness management other clubs realise outside of the coach the heads of phys Ed and recruitment are your most important roles within the club.

2 full bore rebuilds, first one fkd by recruitment department and now this one so far fkd by fitness.

It is so infuriating

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You know there is still a large group of Carlton supporters who argue
Fitness was not Russel responsibility despite 20 on the injury list
List management is not Austin's responsibility despite a lack of key defenders, pace & good users of the football
The appointment of key roles @ the club has nothing to do with Luke Sayers
These same people bang on about Stephen Silvagni, who left 4 years ago.
Please explain the logic
You can't.

I know many want Burgess as the replacement for Russell but I remember him once saying that his mantra is to essentially flog the players and make them push through pain and niggles to build resilience and condition them. I don’t think our injury prone list could handle that.

The new fitness/S&C guy, whoever it is we get, is going to have to find the balance between getting our players fit enough to run out the season and not fade in 4th quarters but also not push them to breaking point. There isn’t a blanket one size fits all approach to S&C and what worked for one list may not work for another. I’m firmly in the camp that you need to take a different approach based on injury history and individual player needs.

We have a mature group now. They basically have a decade of base fitness now after this many years in the system.

Doesn’t have to be that deep from here. Get them as fit as the 17 other clubs and keep them healthy, happy and able to psychologically handle big moments.

Can we acknowledge that the game has changed over the years and perhaps his methods were outdated?

Regardless of anything, he was the head of high performance and it clearly wasn't working. It was therefore his responsibility to adapt and improve things. The fact things haven't improved is what marked the end for him.
We dont do that now.
I agree with both of you but I think the worse aspect of it all is really that we had too many injury prones to start with...which compounded any problems Russells strategies may have had.

The key for us is now to not continue on with Cunners, marchy, martin and SDurdin for starters.

Gov, Cerra, williams and CDurdin are the next level below them in terms of lack of availability.

I'm thinking we can manage these a bit better if we dont have the four mentioned above.

Funny that the only ones complaining about Andrew is the supporters.
He is highly regarded in his field and I would love to know the full story (and not the conjecture) as to his departure.
When Cook earlier in the year goes on radio (SEN) pre Pies game and says things to effect, it's a combination of players physiology and strength and conditioning and we're looking into how we can improve these things. Any wonder he's read the tea-leaves and another year like this would destroy any cred he had as 1 year unlucky, 2nd year just a co-incidence, 3rd year in a row would be WTF? Why would he want to pressure himself continuing, he's had 20 years in the AFL made good coin and can go off and make decent coin outside the bubble.

Also funny how now list management is also rumoured to be offloading the physiologically incapable of consistent output.

Then you have Voss a few weeks ago in his presser about weeks of dialogue with Russell and it didn't sound like we were super eager to beg him to stay.

Internal review must of been done, hints and pressure has been applied and outcomes are becoming more apparent.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back