Rawlings?

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Hawk said:
I'll mention that list again: Allan, McPharlin, Ablett, Gowers, M.Robran.

We didn't make the call on any of them. They were all required players who left and we were powerless to stop them.

Come training nights, Gary Ablett would be down Drouin at a pub piddling on.

Unlike brother Geoff (Racehorse), the youngest Ablett, despite his enormous potential was also influenced greatly his father who for some unknown reason had some kind of a grudge against our club and tried to persuade Gary to follow up Richmond's interest in him. During a lull in time, Geelong eventually lured him down to sleepy hollow and someone there talked some sense into him ... even to a degree he became a 'born again Christian'. And, of course the rest about Gary is a colossal history.

Gary Shadforth said:
Come training nights, Gary Ablett would be down Drouin at a pub piddling on.

Unlike brother Geoff (Racehorse), the youngest Ablett, despite his enormous potential was also influenced greatly his father who for some unknown reason had some kind of a grudge against our club and tried to persuade Gary to follow up Richmond's interest in him. During a lull in time, Geelong eventually lured him down to sleepy hollow and someone there talked some sense into him ... even to a degree he became a 'born again Christian'. And, of course the rest about Gary is a colossal history.

Yes, I've heard that story. Another aside to the Gary Ablett situation is a story told to me at the time by a person claiming to be a cousin ofthe Abletts. He told me that Gary was a real lout in his younger days and well known to the police. Having a police serjeant in Allan Jeans coaching the club rubbed against his grain, so he left the club. Don't know how true this is, it is hearsay.

I also heard from a (then) board member that Ablett had actually signed a contract of intent to re-join the Hawks at the beginning of the 1988 season, but he elected to dtay with Geelong and it was never acted upon. Could you imagine the Hawks teams of the late 80s with Ablett in it? It would have been the greatest team of all time without question.

Adelaide Hawk said:
I'll mention that list again: Allan, McPharlin, Ablett, Gowers, M.Robran.

We didn't make the call on any of them. They were all required players who left and we were powerless to stop them.

Jarman,Wallace,Hudson

Not sure about Martello,Rollings (Barry),

Remove this Banner Ad

Rawlings?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back