RDFL 2014 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Try telling that to the Sunbury Kangaroos last year and Riddell this year.. neither side will say that they felt that had an easy game against Rupertswood and Rockbank respectively.. having watched both games closely, the battle between 3rd and 6th was as close as any other final at Senior level.. the Rams lost their way due to some accurate Riddell kicking in the third term, other than that, it was a close game.. Adam Walsh single handedly got the third place Kangaroos over the line in a titanic battle with Rupertswood last year.. no-one should ever underestimate the value of sixth place.. the first team that does, will get rolled and have all the nay-sayers back tracking..

Your missing the point, the point is that 1st has to beat 2nd to get an opportunity to play in a gf whilst 3rd has to beat 6th for the same opportunity!! Hardly fair on 1st is it??So if you had the choice of finishing 2nd and playing 1st or finishing 3rd and playing 6th, I know what you would chose...

Your missing the point, the point is that 1st has to beat 2nd to get an opportunity to play in a gf whilst 3rd has to beat 6th for the same opportunity!! Hardly fair on 1st is it??So if you had the choice of finishing 2nd and playing 1st or finishing 3rd and playing 6th, I know what you would chose...
I think if you asked any coach, no final is easy to win.. as a coach, you would like to think that you would want to play against the best teams as often as possible in the finals .. I don't understand why there should be a reward for finishing first on the ladder in the finals.. you've proven that after the home and away season, you're the best team in the competition, you're the minor premiers.. that should be enough.. no team would drop games on purpose to lose a place on the ladder to play an 'easier' team in the first week of the finals.. I would've thought that as coach, you would want to play to win every week, regardless of ladder positions.. the way Rupo played last year as the sixth placed team was the skill level to match either Diggers Rest or Riddell in the Qualifying..
If you're saying that you would rather take on Rockbank instead of Rupertswood in this current system because they are an 'easier' team speaks negatively of how well the Rams have performed this year..
From a media perspective, the RDFNL created history this year.. all three Senior games were broadcast live on radio.. this is awesome news!
Speaking of.. we're at it again this week.. broadcasting all 18s/Reserves/Seniors.. we're broadcasting 18 finals football games.. a league record.. plus, add the Seniors on OKR FM at Wallan.. that's 19..

I think if you asked any coach, no final is easy to win.. as a coach, you would like to think that you would want to play against the best teams as often as possible in the finals .. I don't understand why there should be a reward for finishing first on the ladder in the finals.. you've proven that after the home and away season, you're the best team in the competition, you're the minor premiers.. that should be enough.. no team would drop games on purpose to lose a place on the ladder to play an 'easier' team in the first week of the finals.. I would've thought that as coach, you would want to play to win every week, regardless of ladder positions.. the way Rupo played last year as the sixth placed team was the skill level to match either Diggers Rest or Riddell in the Qualifying..
If you're saying that you would rather take on Rockbank instead of Rupertswood in this current system because they are an 'easier' team speaks negatively of how well the Rams have performed this year..
From a media perspective, the RDFNL created history this year.. all three Senior games were broadcast live on radio.. this is awesome news!
Speaking of.. we're at it again this week.. broadcasting all 18s/Reserves/Seniors.. we're broadcasting 18 finals football games.. a league record.. plus, add the Seniors on OKR FM at Wallan.. that's 19..

Get serious, in general it is harder for 1 to beat 2, than for 3 to beat 6...coaches don't give a rats clacker about whether they play the best teams in the finals, they just want to be in the finals and win them and get into a grand final anyway they can, against whoever. You may not understand why the top team at the end of the home and away should be rewarded under a finals system, that's fair enough but a finals system should not disadvantage the top team like the current final 6 does for the reasons already highlighted...

Sorry Chris, but you're the kind of RDFL apologist I was referring to. The current system is a joke. What makes if even more of a joke is that if Rockbank had of beaten Riddell, then fourth-placed Diggers Rest would this weekend be playing for a grand final spot, with a double chance.

If there were two upsets in the elimination finals, then the fifth-placed side would be playing for a grand final spot, with a double chance.

It's not that there are "easy games" in those elimination finals, it's just the highest winner from those two matches ends up benefiting more than the loser of the 1 v 2 match, which is just plain wrong.

Last edited:
Get serious, in general it is harder for 1 to beat 2, than for 3 to beat 6...coaches don't give a rats clacker about whether they play the best teams in the finals, they just want to be in the finals and win them and get into a grand final anyway they can, against whoever. You may not understand why the top team at the end of the home and away should be rewarded under a finals system, that's fair enough but a finals system should not disadvantage the top team like the current final 6 does for the reasons already highlighted...
So tell me how the top team in the AFL gets rewarded..? They play the fourth side in the competition.. and like in our comp, can be in the Grand final in two games..

Of the top 6 sides that made the finals this year how many of the Senior coaches will stay ? Two already gone with more to follow ? I think their will be only one coach that stays out of the 6 sides - will it be the Premiership coach ( who ever wins it ) or not ?

So tell me how the top team in the AFL gets rewarded..? They play the fourth side in the competition.. and like in our comp, can be in the Grand final in two games..

At least in the AFL, the higher finishing team gets their first final on their home ground and continue to stay at home if they win until gf day, that will never happen under the current rdfl system where clubs have to apply to hold finals, which leads to some of our worst grounds holding finals, because some committee's aren't prepared to commit to extra volunteer hours when the majority of the money from finals goes to the league...

The AFL led the way when they changed there Final 5 to a Final 8, it marked an end of an era when their was an advantage in finishing on top, unfortunately generating revenue became more important than a finals system with merit and some country/metro leagues have joined in the cash grab...

Of the top 6 sides that made the finals this year how many of the Senior coaches will stay ? Two already gone with more to follow ? I think their will be only one coach that stays out of the 6 sides - will it be the Premiership coach ( who ever wins it ) or not ?
Who is the other?

Who are the two, and who else looks like stepping away?

Helmers?
Jordan?
Scoble?
Sims?
Meacham/Cuffe?
Lynch (confirmed)

What about the rest? Are any of these guys locked away?

Tobias?
Frost (Pretty sure he is going again)
Wheels?
Andrews?
Bray (is it league dependant)?
Hopkins (gone)?
Carey?

Helmers?
Jordan?
Scoble?
Sims?
Meacham/Cuffe?
Lynch (confirmed)

Tobias?
Wheels?
Andrews?
Hopkins (gone)?
Carey?

Helmers?
Jordan?
Scoble?
Sims?
Meacham/Cuffe?
Lynch (confirmed)

Tobias?
Wheels?
Andrews?
Hopkins (gone)?
Carey?
I will be resuming as senior coach mate and if all goes to plan Cuffe will be right beside me as an assistant for 2015. As everyone is well aware Cuffe has done an amazing job considering the circumstances that happened early in the season and to take over the rains, no questions asked just ready to help out the club as always he should be congratulated on a great effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody hell Doona is it a walk out with the coaches next year - all in good fun. Doona plenty of coaching jobs in the RDFL you dont have to go to Yea. Lynch , Cuffe I know was a fill in for Meach -with Meach signed for the next two years, , Scoble no certainty , Jordon no certainty, its out of Sims and Helmers. How mnay coaches are already signed up for next year ?
Cracking games this weekend in First and Seconds should be 4 tough games and great to watch.

Helmers?
Jordan?
Scoble?
Sims?
Meacham/Cuffe?
Lynch (confirmed)

Tobias?
Wheels?
Andrews?
Hopkins (gone)?
Carey?

Frosty is deffinatly going around again next year.

Bloody hell Doona is it a walk out with the coaches next year - all in good fun. Doona plenty of coaching jobs in the RDFL you dont have to go to Yea. Lynch , Cuffe I know was a fill in for Meach -with Meach signed for the next two years, , Scoble no certainty , Jordon no certainty, its out of Sims and Helmers. How mnay coaches are already signed up for next year ?
Cracking games this weekend in First and Seconds should be 4 tough games and great to watch.

I wasn't haven't a dig W.a.m was just listing all this years chiefs as I'm genuinely interested in the topic. I'm already working at Yea mate, there may be plenty of gigs up in the RDFL as you say but my phone never rang ha ha!!!

I wasn't haven't a dig W.a.m was just listing all this years chiefs as I'm genuinely interested in the topic. I'm already working at Yea mate, there may be plenty of gigs up in the RDFL as you say but my phone never rang ha ha!!!

why would sims be in doubt, his mates sacked the previous coach and appointed him without canvassing anyone else, so unless they are changing the committee, I cant see it happening...

If dean helmers doesn't get coach of the year I will walk down Main Street of lancefield naked. Cause I'm hearing different.
Let's just say there was no official invite in the mail, read into that what you will. it's gotta be Main St of Romsey at least, no one will see you in Lancefield.

Remove this Banner Ad

RDFL 2014 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back