RDFL Thread 2010 (Part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember being at one of the meetings when it was discussed why Broadford should join the RDFL. Reduced season fees, increased gate takings, more exposure for sponsors and genuine rivalries were some of the key points raised as to why the Roos should leave the HDFL.

Now I'm not sure about the season fees, but surely the club should have the extra $$$ from gate takings, sponsorship and the big clashes against Kilmore/Wallan etc.

They won't get anyone through the gate if they keep getting pummeled. Got to spend money to make money. We've seen a lot of quality players come and go at Harley Hammond Reserve in the last five years - why are they not staying?

Reduced season fees - we paid about $13k more last year to the RDFL than we did to the HDFL the season previous:mad:

bigger gates - down significantly last year :eek:

Sponsorhip - lost quite a few over the past 12 months and are exploring new options. We cant even get the support of the local pubs so it's been bloody tough :(

As for players not staying some of it's probly the fact I'm no longer involved perhaps as some of those blokes were personal mates of mine - for some it was the offer of $$$ the BFNC would never be in the situation to try & match. For me I reckon a good old fashioned Sherrin footy and the occasional chance of some sunshine would help :D

Back to being serious, you know damn well Matt this whole move was based on the fact of 3rds footy and nothing else. The HDFL has under 17's, and with our junior comp going to 16's we'd never have enough to field thirds in a 17's climate and as much as we pushed for it, the HDFL refused to warm to the idea of 18's. During my 3 years back home, I think only 11 of the guys to have played senior footy had not played junior football for Broadford - so you can see how dependant we've always been on bringing our own thru. This is why we find ourselves in the biggest fight of all time to somehow make this work and win over those that are still not warm and fuzzy with what's transpired, especially as some of the more influential people in this whole episode are no longer involved.

Made a day of it down at Boardman Reserve yesterday and was very impressed with the performance of Sunbury against an undermanned Broadford. The first ten minutes of the game was very much one way traffic as the Roos piled on the opening 6 goals, Meacham (looking as fit as I have seen him in the past 3 years in the comp) booted 3 in the first term, Broadford just had no answer to Sunbury, especially the rotations through the midfield, 6 or so players rotating through the middle and all having an impact on the game. The only player that looked to be anywhere near the level that was required against Sunbury was Mick Edwards, who controlled the entire tempo of the second quarter, ensured that Broadford weren't blown away completely by half time (by that I mean they kept Sunbury to 8 goals at the half, they should have been nearly 15 goals in front).
Darragh McGovern was outstanding in the middle of the ground, as was Leigh McInerney, while every time the ball hit the ground Daniel Burrows seemed to be at the fall. The twin towers in Cuffey and Fischendon dominated the air and Broadford just couldn't seem to penetrate at all, if they did manage to go forward, the ball was simply rebounded by Rob Ellis, Bobby Johnson and Adam Walsh. The Kangaroos were simply too good and will certainly be one of the premiership favorites.
Dashed over to check out the last quarter of Diggers and Woodend, the game was a slog, the ground certainly didn't seem to be in the best of shape either. In the last term, it was the Burra's go to guys that ensured they iced the game. Laurie, Sims and Ruane put the game beyond doubt, there wasn't much in it at 3 qtr time, but the Burra never looked like losing. From the small part I saw, Joel Goodyear was good for the Hawks, while the names above were the standouts when the game had to be won. All in all, I think both sides will be competing for the 5th and 6th spots on the ladder with several other sides.
A couple of cracking games, the Romsey Vs Macedon game was obviously a ripper, while the Rams getting over Centrals would give them confidence in what was described as a game of halves, the Rams dominating the first half, Centrals the 2nd half, the difference in the game from all reports was Zerafa who kicked 4 playing on ball. Riddell have stamped themselves as favorites for the flag, a thumping and dominating performance against the reigning premiers, the Bombers are certainly back in town. Surprising win for the Magpies in what sounds like another gripping contest, I was told Jamesy had 7 out of the 8 at half time and finished with 9, so Wallan seemed to have found a solution in the second half. A disappointing start for Kilmore, they would have expected to walk away with a win in that game and the push for a top 4 spot might be questioned now..

What did YOU learn from Round 1.

I learnt
  • The Sunbury Kangaroos are certainly premiership contenders.
  • Riddell are the favorites for the flag, that win is as dominating as it gets.
  • Kilmore cant depend solely on the recruits and Booker, some of the guys that have always needed to lift, need to lift now.
  • Rockbank will be ultra competitive, they were missing one of thier best, Zerafa might give them a possible Bowen Medallist
  • Woodend/Hesket and Diggers Rest are going to be thier competitive selves, but will that be enough anymore?
  • Macedon might have lost a Bowen Medallist, but they haven't lost thier ability. A.McCarthur, D.Wright and a fit J.Wright means they are a top 4 contender.
Weekly ladder based on performance
Riddell
Macedon
Sunbury Kangaroos
Wallan
Romsey
Diggers Rest

Rockbank
Kilmore
Woodend/Hesket
Melton Centrals
Lancefield
Broadford

Not a bad sum up IMS but please dont talk up your sunbury boys like you are nuetral suporter. we all no your club have spent a fortune and do have a very good team. in honesty if you dont win it you should be very disapointed. riddell probably only team capable of beating you if your lack of disipline that your club has had since being in the comp pops up again like it has in finals in past years.

Not a bad sum up IMS but please dont talk up your sunbury boys like you are nuetral suporter. we all no your club have spent a fortune and do have a very good team. in honesty if you dont win it you should be very disapointed. riddell probably only team capable of beating you if your lack of disipline that your club has had since being in the comp pops up again like it has in finals in past years.

Who really cares about who spends what, at the end of the day, it is not always about the amount spent, but how it is spent. If the ladder ended up in the order of player budgets, In my opinion the Roos would not make the top 4.

Thanks for the feedback Roy.. Luckily, with freedom of speech, I am able to discuss in any way that I feel fit.. The fact is, I hold no official role within the Sunbury Kangaroos in 2010, where do my loyalties lie, absolutely with the Kangaroos, but the fact of the matter is, and anyone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I think I have always been able to review the Roos performance with a certain degree of level headedness. As for the spending, I am glad that you know how much the Kangaroos have spent this year, I am certain of only one thing, the player budget is higher than it was last year, I am also certain that there are clubs that are paying out more money than the Kangaroos in 2010. But there is no secret to the fact that the Kangaroos have recruited and lost no one, therefore, yep, they are spending more this year, but I have written this about Riddell in the past, Romsey last year and will continue to say so, as long as the club in question is financially managed correctly and can afford to recruit to help improve the list, then why would you not??? It's now an outdated statement to say that side's are "buying" a premiership, it is now more common than not, that sides that recruit and spend money are the sides that make themselves a premiership contender, rather than an also ran. Do you honestly believe that Lancefield, Riddell, Romsey, Macedon and Kilmore dont spend any money on players??
Aaron James, Gary Moorcroft, Shannon Green, Dylan Wright, Andrew McCarthur, Ash Fleming, Brian Ruffell, Tom Waters, Matt Robertson and even now down to Rockbank with Zerafa do you believe these names are playing for free?? Your spending a fortune statement is redundant good sir....

Went to the Cattery on Saturday and witnessed in my opinion the best game of football I have seen in years . Both sides should figure prominently this year. The standard of the game was very impressive for round 1. The cats have some very talented youngsters on there list as do the Redbacks, let hope both clubs can keep the vultures at bay. Ash McNaughton the stand out for the Redbacks. Number 14 for the cats a GUN single handedly won them the match. The only negative from the day is the ground is in desperate need of top dressing, when the ball bounces its anybody's guess where it will go because of the divots.

Went to the Cattery on Saturday and witnessed in my opinion the best game of football I have seen in years . Both sides should figure prominently this year. The standard of the game was very impressive for round 1. The cats have some very talented youngsters on there list as do the Redbacks, let hope both clubs can keep the vultures at bay. Ash McNaughton the stand out for the Redbacks. Number 14 for the cats a GUN single handedly won them the match. The only negative from the day is the ground is in desperate need of top dressing, when the ball bounces its anybody's guess where it will go because of the divots.

That's impressive, Number 14 for the Cats would be Dan Markworth.. Pretty impressive for a young 18 year old young man.. From all reports he was very very good... That is a good sign for the Cats, especially with the names within thier list, that an 18 year old local was one of the key players that stood up when someone needed too, the other I heard that was in the best was Nipper Wright, another local product for the Cats... :thumbsu:

Have to agree it was probably the best game of local footy(atleast at this standard) ive seen.

Both sides came back from the dead a couple of times in the last quarter. Your a tad harsh on Macedons other players because I felt most players on both sides had a creacking last quarter. young Markworth(his brother was good to) was outstanding in the last quarter but the cats had many other good players on the day.

The only downer for me was the bald headed bloke wearing white(thought the redhed was quite good) who seemed to have the worst understanding of the holding the ball rule I have ever seen. Some blokes would take on 3 players and get caught and not get pinged while others get pinged after taking 1 step. It must have been very frustrating for all players out their. I also felt he may have been a tad starstruck.

Fortunately in the end the game was won and lost by one of the best passages of play you could hope to see rather and an umpiring error.

It was one of those games where the side that lost was going to be very stiff and unfortunately for Romsey they where the unlucky ones.

Have to agree it was probably the best game of local footy(atleast at this standard) ive seen.

Both sides came back from the dead a couple of times in the last quarter. Your a tad harsh on Macedons other players because I felt most players on both sides had a creacking last quarter. young Markworth(his brother was good to) was outstanding in the last quarter but the cats had many other good players on the day.

The only downer for me was the bald headed bloke wearing white(thought the redhed was quite good) who seemed to have the worst understanding of the holding the ball rule I have ever seen. Some blokes would take on 3 players and get caught and not get pinged while others get pinged after taking 1 step. It must have been very frustrating for all players out their. I also felt he may have been a tad starstruck.

Fortunately in the end the game was won and lost by one of the best passages of play you could hope to see rather and an umpiring error.

It was one of those games where the side that lost was going to be very stiff and unfortunately for Romsey they where the unlucky ones.
A couple of years ago, i posted that the RDFL could once again become the league it once was, i was shot down at the time, if the game on the wend between the Cats & the Redlegs was as good as everyone says it was, then we are certainly heading in the right direction, and stop going on about money! the league is better for recruiting these players.

A couple of years ago, i posted that the RDFL could once again become the league it once was, i was shot down at the time, if the game on the wend between the Cats & the Redlegs was as good as everyone says it was, then we are certainly heading in the right direction, and stop going on about money! the league is better for recruiting these players.

Absolutely.. The standard of the competition improves by so much every year, this year is certainly no exception.. It is great to see that most sides will once again be very competitive.. There were 3 games decided by less than a kick on the weekend, that is fantastic, for the league and especially for us supporters :thumbsu:

Who really cares about who spends what, at the end of the day, it is not always about the amount spent, but how it is spent. If the ladder ended up in the order of player budgets, In my opinion the Roos would not make the top 4.

Well said, people seem to forget that the club has been slowly building for some years now and has some very smart people running the show and have had for a number of years now.

The recruiting has gone very well and well within budget, a mix of senior and junior people all working towards one goal and that is to have a very successful Sunbury Kangaroos FNC for years to come.

People can comment all they like but without being involved in the club it's all guesswork. We may make mistakes but we will learn from them and move on.

The club and all the people involved need to be congratulated to this point.

As a club we will be judged in the end on how successful we are in September and that is a long way off at this point.

Sponsorhip - lost quite a few over the past 12 months and are exploring new options. We cant even get the support of the local pubs so it's been bloody tough :(

Talk to me about this. One here won't touch us as they don't want to "step on the Red's toes". Either that, or it was an alternative to the 'we gave so much during the bushfires deflection'.

I have been going to as many businesses as I can locally, basically opening our books up to them to show how much we spend. I'm saying, if you get on board, bang - you're our preferred supplier! I tried this with Coles, and we're talking tens of thousands we spend, and they said no.

As far as KFNC goes, we'll spend local...if they support us! Otherwise we'll get all our goods from wherever, not locally. Its getting harder for sponsors, any wonder Clubs are going to the betting shops, alcohol providers and pokies venues. Not exactly the sporting/community message, but gone are the days when you can run a club with money from pie and beer sales.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talk to me about this. One here won't touch us as they don't want to "step on the Red's toes". Either that, or it was an alternative to the 'we gave so much during the bushfires deflection'.

I have been going to as many businesses as I can locally, basically opening our books up to them to show how much we spend. I'm saying, if you get on board, bang - you're our preferred supplier! I tried this with Coles, and we're talking tens of thousands we spend, and they said no.

As far as KFNC goes, we'll spend local...if they support us! Otherwise we'll get all our goods from wherever, not locally. Its getting harder for sponsors, any wonder Clubs are going to the betting shops, alcohol providers and pokies venues. Not exactly the sporting/community message, but gone are the days when you can run a club with money from pie and beer sales.

We take the same stance as you rgs011. we compete with melton and melton south and we give more back to those who support us than the other two mobs. we dont bother supporting companies who arent interested in us, i believe we have a better product anyway. that was proven at the game against rockbank!

im going to throw this one out there but what do you think the estimates of crowd attendance were over the weekend? i ask this because we had no doubt, a record crowd for our game and it is a credit to both centrals and rockbank fans who turned out! cars around the ground were two deep sometimes four :eek: we estimated about 600-700, sold out of grog four times (i had to make the long trip to restock) canteen ran out of hot food by 3qtr time and many people stayed back afterwards. Honestly I've never had a better day at the footy (even though we lost) because it really felt like a rivalry. one of the players from one of the other clubs in melton said that they will struggle to get the crowd we got for the traditional melton and melton sth rivalry! well done to all at centrals and rockbank!!!!

We take the same stance as you rgs011. we compete with melton and melton south and we give more back to those who support us than the other two mobs. we dont bother supporting companies who arent interested in us, i believe we have a better product anyway. that was proven at the game against rockbank!

im going to throw this one out there but what do you think the estimates of crowd attendance were over the weekend? i ask this because we had no doubt, a record crowd for our game and it is a credit to both centrals and rockbank fans who turned out! cars around the ground were two deep sometimes four :eek: we estimated about 600-700, sold out of grog four times (i had to make the long trip to restock) canteen ran out of hot food by 3qtr time and many people stayed back afterwards. Honestly I've never had a better day at the footy (even though we lost) because it really felt like a rivalry. one of the players from one of the other clubs in melton said that they will struggle to get the crowd we got for the traditional melton and melton sth rivalry! well done to all at centrals and rockbank!!!!

Couldn't agree more with you there Georgie. We had a very very good turnout too at Lancefield (cars all the way round the ground & many parked under the trees over there as well ! I am told also that it was chocka block over at Macedon as well.... standing room only apparently !

You & the 'Bankers are only gunna get more & more opportunities to glean local support over there (with sponsors & fans) because the "Alternative" for them ... Just IS"NT relevant..... & NEVER has been... & NEVER will be !

And whether they like it or not, or care to admit it or not, that is why all those old RDFL clubs are struggling.... End of story !

I say "Go for it" pal, there may come a day (maybe sooner than you think) that Melton Centrals can drop the Centrals tag & play their home games on the vacant No' 1 Oval....... & Rockbank can move over & play outa the deserted Melton Sth venue !!!

fair endorsement that one :thumbsu:

The crowd at Sunbury was also quite large, with many locals coming out to have a gork, with the other 2 sides Rupertswood and Sunbury not playing. What was the crowd like over at diggers? By the sounds of it crowds were up all over for round 1 and if this continues it could be a big year for all involved in the RDFL. :thumbsu:

The crowd at Sunbury was also quite large, with many locals coming out to have a gork, with the other 2 sides Rupertswood and Sunbury not playing. What was the crowd like over at diggers? By the sounds of it crowds were up all over for round 1 and if this continues it could be a big year for all involved in the RDFL. :thumbsu:

Crowd was fairly decent over at the Burra. Had a Bus load of Army Lads come and watch a few of the new boys and they managed to drink the place dry quite early.

Hey All,

I want to publically thank Wallan Football Netball Club President Matthew Whiteside for assisting us with an injured player on Saturday.

During the Reserves game, one of our players suffered a shoulder injury and was assisted from the ground taken to the rooms for treatment. Investigation by our trainers found that his shoulder had popped out significantly.

Matthew was also playing in the Reserves match, and at our trainers request (given his experience with Sports Training), came from the field to assist. For some time Matthew assisted our injured player, supporting his arm/shoulder weight etc.

An ambulance was called, and our player was given pain-killer injections and taken to the hospital. Given the extent of the players shoulder injury, the ambulance crew confirmed that our trainers acted in the appropriate manner by NOT attempting 'to pop the shoulder back in'. Our player was treated at the hospital where his shoulder was 'popped back in', however will require surgery at a later date.

So something that has probably never occurred before (in either way), the Kilmore Football Netball Club extending its thanks to the President of Wallan FNC.

Thank you Matt for assisting our player, interrupting your own game and also supporting our trainers. A great example that demonstrates that even with fiercest rivals, we're basically playing the game we love and will offer help if we can.

Russell Stewart
President
Kilmore Football Netball Club

any chance that the under 18'\might have also helped there champ as parents from rolling meadows were also spending plenty on kids before they left the ground. Might be a very good thing that you have an early game this year for home games?

The great fact for the RDFL clubs is that crowd numbers have been great in the last couple of years, the RDFL brand is growing every year and the atmosphere at RDFL games is drawing fans away from the BFL, lets be honest, Bal FL games are a little passionless when compared to RDFL games, just look at the Bal FL thread... :thumbsu:
Its great to hear that all clubs had good strong crowds at games on the weekend, I know over the past couple of seasons the Kangaroos have had strong crowds wherever they have played, the locals are coming back to what is the truly local competition :thumbsu:

Went and watch Kilmore vs Wallan, what a great standard of football.

Wallan changed this around in the second half and came back to win.

Kilmore looked good at times though if they didn’t have James Wallan would have won be far more,

Good work to Wallan and Kilmore.

Diggers crowd was ok, not that big, apart from the army boys showing up to support their mate from burra, first time ive been there when it hasnt been windy!!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back