RDFL Thread 2010 (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RDFL 2010 Season - Round 9

After a week of tough, hard fought contests and the first loss to the almighty Riddell, this week signifies the half way mark of a very tight and hotly contested RDFL season. Will the Blues continue to be the best performed team in the competition? How will the Bombers react to the loss? Will the Tigers continue on their merry way? So many questions to be answered.

Halfway Mark review - NEXT WEEK!!! (Club report cards)

Sunbury Kangaroos FNC (2nd, 7-1) vs Melton Centrals FNC (10th, 1-7)
Boardman Reserve - Sunbury
The Kangaroos are coming off a big win away from home against a Wallan team that continues to improve, the Roos still have several key players missing from their best line up, but continue to win. The one area of concern would have to be the accuracy in front of goal, going on the season so far, the Roos have kicked 110.115, including an amazing 6.17 last week, albeit in difficult conditions. But how long before the Roos inaccuracy kicks them out of a game of football again (they kicked 6.13 in the loss to the Tigers to have the same amount of scoring shots). It is something that coming up to the half way mark of the season has to be a concern and a chink in the Kangaroos armour. The question is, where is the inaccuracy coming from, is it opposition pressure, is it poor target selection going forward, or is it a case that they are just having trouble with the kicking at goal, only time will tell, but the Roos need to put some work into that area and fast, it could mean the difference between a Grand Final and an also ran. The positive for the Roos is the form of the midfield and the back line, especially as the back line is missing key personnel on the season. Adam Walsh is in career best form, while Simon Clark creates so much opportunity off the opposite back flank and Joeb Ploog is really starting to find his feet at CHB. The midfield is getting much of its football through first hand touch from the dominance of big man Leigh Fischendon, while the Roos have had multiple forward options in Meacham, Mitch Strieff and Jamie Cuffe. Centrals form in recent weeks has been steadily improving, they have been competitive every week but really need a win to gain some momentum heading into the second half of the season. For the 2nd week in a row they were right in the game at half time only to see opportunity slip away, the next few weeks could well prove vital in how Centrals finish the season. Ben Notman, Jamie Kitchen, Tim Kott and Brian Wheelahan have all been in great form, while Brett Payne provides an excellent target up forward.
With some really big fixtures in the coming weeks, the outcome of this weeks game will be a huge influence on the remainder of both sides seasons.
Game Key: Again the midfield battle in this one could prove the difference, both midfields are in great form, but the key could be if Centrals are able to find defenders to cover the options up forward that the Roos have. With Meacham, Cuffe and Strieff, it might be just too many to close down.
Sunbury Kangaroos by 37 points

Wallan FNC (7th, 4-4) Vs Macedon FC (6th, 4-4)
Greenhill Reserve - Wallan
These two sides face, what shapes to be, a season defining clash at Greenhill Reserve on Saturday. The Magpies would be disappointed to drop another close game at home last week, most of the losses so far have come from narrow margins. The lack of goal kicking power is again causing headaches, but slowly they are managing to find other avenues to goal. A win here is a must for Wallan, they have a massive game against Romsey first up after the break and the fight for that 6th position on the ladder is currently a race in 3. With the Cats holding it and the Magpies and Redbacks breathing down their necks. Wallan had a tough hit out in difficult conditions last week, but so did the Cats, being run down by a very determined Tigers outfit in the last term. Both sides have everything to lose. The Magpies are likely to lean on their ability to win contested football against the Cats. They have several very strong contested ball winners while the Cats have Darren Goodwin as a standout in this area. The Magpies should look to exploit this advantage at any times the Cats start to open the game up. If the Cats get running and break the game open, the Magpies might find it tough to reel them in. The Cats outside running game is very dangerous if they can get it going with Dylan Wright, James Wright and even Jae Wilton, the Cats need to open the game up to suit them. Ash Fleming from all reports has spent alot of time in the ruck in 2010, not sure how this is affecting the Cats, but from the outside looking in, it may be affecting them not having him playing as a key forward. Both sides will be desperate here and the game is well worth the watch.
Game Key: Talent. Both sides have it, but on paper the Cats probably have more, but can they utilise the talent that they possess, in recent weeks you could question whether they have done so successfully.
Macedon by 9 points.

Rockbank FSC (11th, 1-7) Vs Diggers Rest FNC (5th, 5-3)
Ian Cowie Reserve - Rockbank
With the tightness surrounding the top 6 heading into the halfway mark of the year, no sides can afford to drop a game and the Burra head into their second danger game in a row this week when they take on the Rams away from home. The Burra got over Centrals at home last week with the help of returning Cole Laurie and Shaun Sims. The Burra found it tough to shake Centrals in the first half in shocking conditions but in the end were able to get the job done once again, something this side has been able to do every week whenever the question is asked, the Burra should be applauded for their consistency week in and week out and there is no doubt that any Burra supporter would be wrapt to be following a side that no matter what gives their all every single week. The challenge is sure to be thrown down again this week as they take on the Rams who pushed the Redbacks all the way to the wire last week. The Rams need a win, heading into the half way mark at 1-8 would be well below the standards that Leigh Spry and his players would have set themselves earlier in the year. They will have their work cut out though, the Burra have some very handy types up and about at the moment, Stuart Clarke has been in great form as has Jason Davies, while Tom Gleeson and Craig Marshall keep showing up in the Burra's best each week. The Rams have been very competitive. Last week they struggled in the second half though, only managing one goal, they had their opportunity against the Redbacks, they just couldn't manage that crucial goal in the second half and the opportunity to put scoreboard pressure on a wavering Redbacks line up. The Rams have been really well served so far by Brendan Newitt who is the perfect midfield foil for Nathan Jackal and Jaime Zerafa while Michael Kennedy continues to impress. But what can the Rams do to make that difference, the difference between being competitive again or finally gaining that much needed win for credibility. There is only so many "good efforts" a team can cop before they need more. They would be desperately craving a win now.
Game Key: Weather, it could play a key role in this game at Ian Cowie, the wind can tend to blow directly across the ground making things difficult for visiting sides. But can the Rams use the conditions effectively to impact the result, can their big recruits give that one really big effort knowing they have a week off to follow.
Diggers Rest by 22 points.

Riddell FNC (1st, 7-1) Vs Broadford FNC (12th, 0-8)
Riddells Creek Reserve - Riddell
Top against bottom. The Bombers coming off a loss in front of their home crowd. Sorry Broadford fans, this one could get ugly. The Broadford faithful will be hoping for the heavens to open up to slow this one down as the Bombers are on a mission for retribution and it will start this week. They are a proud club and wouldn't be happy with losing a troop last week as well as losing a game. They shouldn't be too disappointed with last week, the reality is that they controlled most of the game against Kilmore but really failed to convert chances. Matt Baird was huge up forward and is a class player, while Cam McCabe found some form in a big way, dominating the game to be the best player on the ground. I thought that James Climas didn't spend enough time in the middle of the ground, although early that didn't seem too much of a problem as Cam Casson and Matt Sammut dominated the ground while Brayden Allen dominated the air. The only let down for the Bombers last week was that at times they really didn't use the ball well which took their forwards out of the game. Mick Allen started the game on fire, but wasn't sighted after quarter time, he will expect a big return this week, while their backline was solid under pressure. Broadford are throwing everything they have into games but just lack the class and polish to be competitive with opposition sides. But they are getting valuable games into younger members of the line up as well as valuable lessons in leadership under pressure into their young club leaders. They were again very good against the Hawks, right in the game midway through the 3rd term, but the lack of class told true again. This weeks game could be a long long day for Broadford.
Game Key: Rain, and the send off of 5 Riddell players is the only hope for Broadford, they unfortunately can't get near the Bombers.
Riddell by 130 points.

Romsey FNC (8th, 3-5) Vs Woodend/Hesket FNC (9th, 3-5)
Romsey Park - Romsey
The Redbacks and the Hawks are set to fight out what could be the finals hopes of both sides. The Redbacks have won 3 straight games, but have been a little shaky in their wins over Centrals, Broadford and Rockbank, but the end result has been wins and that is the most important thing. The key members of the Redback line up have slowly been working their way into form, but there has to be a concern surrounding the whole set up at Romsey, lack of numbers on the track is never a good thing and from all reports the lack of senior players on the track at the Redbacks is disappointing, but they are winning and have to continue to do so starting with this critical game at home. The key for the Redbacks here could be in the ruck, everyone knows that the big Yak, Ryan Connellan, gives his all for this football club, week in and week out, this week he has a chance to really put his stamp on the contest as the Hawks seem to be lacking a strong ruck presence. The Redbacks need to continue to find an avenue to goal, they have been winning in recent weeks but are far from the strong offensive unit that they have become known for. The Hawks defense is solid and will make the Redbacks work for everything. Ross Waters returned to the forward 50 last week and a return of 5 goals would have been pleasing for the boys from Gilbert Gordon. He will face more resistance this week against "the Wiz" but the Hawks do have runners capable of giving him opportunity. Sam Bowen has been getting in the Hawks best each week and was excellent 2 weeks ago, he will need to keep his good form running for this weeks game, while it was good to see Matty Knox's name in the best as I believe he has been hampered a little this year with a groin issue, hopefully we will get to see his best this week. So much rides on this contest for both sides. The Redbacks are fighting back after a slow start to the season while the Hawks are still in the mix, but only just. The winner here shall continue to strive for a finals spot, for the loser, season 2010 could be all but over.
Game Key: Both sides need to give their forwards plenty of opportunity, the Hawks have several pacy smalls who have the ability to kick a bag of goals, while the Redbacks have mid sized forwards that can create mis matches. The Hawks will need to link up and run and ensure that the Redbacks don't get their hands on the ball enough to impact the scoreboard.
Romsey by 15 points

Match of the Round
Lancefield FNC (2nd, 7-1) Vs Kilmore FNC (3rd, 6-2)
Lancefield Park - Lancefield
This match up following the Riddell match up for the Blues is massive, can they back up after such a big win and really cement a top 4 spot? Can the Tigers continue their fantastic run of form since they lost to the Bombers in Round One? The Blues were fantastic last week in their come from behind win, they just stuck with the Bombers all day before just letting go in the final term to overrun them. Guy Booker continued his sensational form in the midfield, he just reads the ball so well, he cut off so many of the Bombers foray's forward, Justin Collis plays his role beautifully off the half forward line, almost running as an old fashioned centre after the ball is bounced in the middle. Mark Prendegast and Jock Thompson patrolled the half back line with purpose, while Shaun Garland was a big strong presence across the half forward line. Matt Robertson's last term was brilliant, he completely dominated the stoppages and won football all over the ground, just when his side needed it most. The Tigers courageous win against the Cats was not without merit itself. They booted 3 last quarter goals to run over the Cats in a game they controlled for a majority of the day. Youngster Nathan Carroll continued his strong goal kicking form while Travis Smith again led from the front. The battle of Waters and Swann in the middle could have a massive impact on this game. Swann is a workhorse so Tom will have his work cut out, but he should dominate the ruckwork, the Tigers need to get the most out of this set up. The side that gets on top in the clearances should have a clear advantage. There really are some mouth-watering battles that lie ahead, I expect Trav Smith to run with Booker, that is always a tough day. Chris Collins and Matt Robertson going head to head will be a classic match up to watch, while Aaron James faces his toughest test to date, Leigh Irwin and Brett Caton are an awesome duo of defenders, with one to go to James and one to Garland, unless they use one as a drop off defender, James is going to have a battle on his hands, how will he react to the fierce and physical defending style of Irwin, or the leap and balance of Caton. Well worth the price of admission just to see that battle. Both sides have a chance to really cement a top 4 spot at the half way mark of the year. Especially the Blues, a loss here just slips them back into the pack a little.
Game Key: Stoppages, the Tigers will run and link up, the Blues will try to power the ball forward, both sides have key forwards capable of a big bag, will be interesting to see if this game breaks open, or if it is an arm wrestle all day.
Lancefield by 26 points.

Will the blues continue to be the best preformed team in the competition?? Taking nothing away from them! BUT am i the only 1 that has noticed that the bombers had 8 more scoring shots?? Now correct me if im wrong but if 2 of their 8 more scoring shots go through for a goal that means bombers win!!! They would be loving it down at riddell that ppl are starting to rate killmore higher from that game.. for me riddell unlucky not to win and and still red hot favorites for the flag!!!

No1:rolleyes: COACH FOR ROMSEY GETS REPORTED FOR KICKING AT THE 17 MINUTE MARK FIRST QUATER.....No2 SENT OFF FOR THE REST OF THE GAME RED CARD, No3 CHARGE DEEMED TO BE TO SERIOUS LEVEL 6 STRAIGHT TO TRIBUNAL :eek: MY CONCERN AND OTHERS IS HE GOT TO THE TRIBUNAL AND THE CASE WAS THROWN OUT UMPIRE COULD NOT RECALL WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPEN, STATES HE FORGOT:rolleyes:SO WHY DID ROMSEY ONLY PLAY WITH 17 PLAYERS FROM THE 17 MINUTE MARK VERY HARD TO BELIEVE:rolleyes: AND THE COACH COULD NOT GO BACK ON:footy:SOME SAY GOOD THING:footy: IMAGINE IF THE PLAYER WAS A GUN COULD RUIN A SIDE CHANCES FOR THE SEASON:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

And is the Romsey Coach aware YOU dont regard HIM as a GUN then ???

Will the blues continue to be the best preformed team in the competition?? Taking nothing away from them! BUT am i the only 1 that has noticed that the bombers had 8 more scoring shots?? Now correct me if im wrong but if 2 of their 8 more scoring shots go through for a goal that means bombers win!!! They would be loving it down at riddell that ppl are starting to rate killmore higher from that game.. for me riddell unlucky not to win and and still red hot favorites for the flag!!!

Bag kicking is bad footy little buddy ! :(

When I talk about the form side of the competition I am talking about the best performed team in the past 5 weeks...

Only 2 sides are 5-0 and only one of them has a win against the top side, and a win is a win... Hence, form team of the competition...

Riddell are indeed still the best team in the competition and have to be raging flag favorites.... For now...

Ps. I never said Kilmore were better, I said they were the form team...

When I talk about the form side of the competition I am talking about the best performed team in the past 5 weeks...

Only 2 sides are 5-0 and only one of them has a win against the top side, and a win is a win... Hence, form team of the competition...

Riddell are indeed still the best team in the competition and have to be raging flag favorites.... For now...

Ps. I never said Kilmore were better, I said they were the form team...

"Form Team" eh ?
Arent you only as good as your last performance though pal ?
There are two teams going around at present that are on a pretty good winning streak. & What is it they say about winning form again mate ???
I think clearly Saturdays winner out of the Lancefield v Kilmore clash will throw up who should now be regarded as our Premiership favorite. :rolleyes: .................... For the time being anyway !

"Form Team" eh ?
There are two teams going around at present that are on a pretty good winning streak. & What is it they say about winning form again mate ???
I think clearly Saturdays winner out of the Lancefield v Kilmore clash will throw up who should now be regarded as our Premiership favorite. :rolleyes: .................... For the time being anyway !

No longer in the business, but this is roughly how the RDFL premiership market would look right now. Riddell are still the firm flag favourites.

Riddell $2.80
Lancefield $5
Sunbury Kangaroos $5.50
Kilmore $5.50
Diggers Rest $12
Romsey $15
Macedon $21
Wallan $26
Woodend-Hesket $51
Melton Central $501
Rockbank $501
Broadford $1001

"Form Team" eh ?

Isn't that exactly the point I was making :confused:

Kilmore, along with Lancefield, are the form teams of the competition...

Are you drunk :confused::D

Isn't that exactly the point I was making :confused:

Kilmore, along with Lancefield, are the form teams of the competition...

Are you drunk :confused::D

Good to see the write up got a bite at least this week :p

It is worth it.... :D

The next step would be to appoint your good self to take over the running of the league big fella

Highly unlikely Rootski, on too good a wicket where I am ;)

You missed a very very good game Doon'. Got the old ticker pumping for the first time in ages. You live in the Kilmore area dont you ? Why didn't you come down ? Are you catching a match anywhere on Saturdays these days ?

Actually wandering back to me old stomping ground of Yea on a Satdy OMNI, they were wonderful to me and wife for the 4-5 years I kicked around over there, so it's actually nice being back in a true bush footy environment. To be honest I couldn't hang around the BFNC anyway, had my go, was no good at it and its only fair that Im not seen for a period of time. I cant wait to get along later in the year though, she aint gunna be the one horse race we all thought a few weeks ago.......

What happened with the presidency at Kilmore doona??

Have heard that he may have resigned from the position due to a perceived lack of support????

Plenty of conflicting stories getting around, so dunno who to believe. Ive known Russ for some time now, warned him when he was contemplating the gig that she's a pretty tough and thankless position. He's had a go, didn't work out, so he's moving on - better to have tried than looked back and said "if only". In fairness another committee member mentioned to one of ours that there are bugger all helpers - and with a new job, young kids and other interests you need a balance, perhaps something had to give.

I just hope he didn't have the key to the footy and water bottles cupboard as I took the young bloke up for our regular look at training and they were off the park by the time we drove in (about 7.10pm).

"Form Team" eh ?
The one thing that stood out to me most in terms of a weakness for Kilmore was AJ's ego. This post, by the way, is in no means a personal dig at Aaron, but my main observation of his game is that he needs to be constantly reassured of his ability. This is left to either the faithfull that are sent around behind the goals by the coach or the way he refers to his direct opponents as his "girlfriends", while quipping with the opposition crowd about how many blokes he is gonna catch up with after the game. At the game im referring to, the count was at 6 by 3/4 time. I was, though, impressed by the form and leadership from Booker, and their win against WHFNC a couple of weeks back was quite methodical. Pickles you're definately underestimating Kilmore in your market. Lancefield on the other hand are a completely different unit. Having the best ruckman in the comp doesn't go against you very often and the way Messers Collins, Caton (x2) and Leigh Erwin attack the footy, well I agree with IMS that this is the game of the round and I might just sneak off from Romsey Park at some stage and indulge:D

Kilmore can certainly win the premiership, no doubt. They'll need a lot of things to go their way to do so, though. AJ must stay injury and suspension free, for starters.

Riddell clearly have the best depth in the comp, although if their gun U18s are refusing to play senior footy, that might hurt them.

Knowing the GF will be at Lancefield no doubt gives the Tigers a massive advantage. Like Kilmore, they can't afford too much to go wrong at the business end of the season, but I expect them to be real contenders. Had a bit of a yarn to Kev Fitzgerald outside the Romsey bakery the other day and he was pretty happy with the way things are going. Has a lot of faith in his younger brigade.

The Kangas should be starting to hit their peak in the next few weeks. Massive match against Riddell in nine days time at Boardman Oval. If they can knock off the Bombers or at least push them right until the end, they will take some beating come September.

I really can't see any other side winning the flag, to be honest. Macedon, if they get their rigs back and 15yo Plowman prodigy comes into the side, could be a smoky. But they keep losing close games. If they lose to Wallan they might even miss the six, which would be a travesty for a talent-laden side. The Cats' biggest issue is they lack a genuine star to grab the game by scruff of the neck and produce a 10-minute burst of brilliance. They miss Bladey big time. The Rigs have that prowess. If the Cats make the finals and they have a full squad to pick from (plus a late inclusion from Meldrum), then they must not be treated lightly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kilmore can certainly win the premiership, no doubt. They'll need a lot of things to go their way to do so, though. AJ must stay injury and suspension free, for starters.

Riddell clearly have the best depth in the comp, although if their gun U18s are refusing to play senior footy, that might hurt them.

Knowing the GF will be at Lancefield no doubt gives the Tigers a massive advantage. Like Kilmore, they can't afford too much to go wrong at the business end of the season, but I expect them to be real contenders. Had a bit of a yarn to Kev Fitzgerald outside the Romsey bakery the other day and he was pretty happy with the way things are going. Has a lot of faith in his younger brigade.

The Kangas should be starting to hit their peak in the next few weeks. Massive match against Riddell in nine days time at Boardman Oval. If they can knock off the Bombers or at least push them right until the end, they will take some beating come September.

I really can't see any other side winning the flag, to be honest. Macedon, if they get their rigs back and 15yo Plowman prodigy comes into the side, could be a smoky. But they keep losing close games. If they lose to Wallan they might even miss the six, which would be a travesty for a talent-laden side. The Cats' biggest issue is they lack a genuine star to grab the game by scruff of the neck and produce a 10-minute burst of brilliance. They miss Bladey big time. The Rigs have that prowess. If the Cats make the finals and they have a full squad to pick from (plus a late inclusion from Meldrum), then they must not be treated lightly.
how much influence can he have in one season??, cmon, thats letting down the core faithfull squad.

And what about the Redbacks mate, do you see them in the mix ? I have em winning the next 2 on the trot then -
I reckon the Kilmore v Romsey clash next in round 11 up at Kilmore will be a cracker........ perhaps for all the wrong reasons ! :cool:

how much influence can he have in one season??, cmon, thats letting down the core faithfull squad.

The thing Bladey does best is what the Cats need. A midfielder/winger to break the lines and kick a couple of quick goals from seemingly nowhere. Footy is very much about momentum and if you have a guy who can produce a 10 minute blitz and the team kicks four or five goals, you catch the opposition on the hop.

Blokes like Adam Johnstone, Aaron Christiansen, Darren Goodwin, Tim Dettmann etc. are all good senior footy players (jury still out on Johnstone though) but probably not going to win games off their own boots too often. Nippa Wright is still very very young and could well become the X-factor match winner the Cats need.

Matty Robertson does it at Kilmore, from all reports Nathan Carroll did it for Lancefield on Saturday. Gaaarrry does it at Romsey. You need these 10 minute burst players.

And what about the Redbacks mate, do you see them in the mix ? I have em winning the next 2 on the trot then -
I reckon the Kilmore v Romsey clash next in round 11 up at Kilmore will be a cracker........ perhaps for all the wrong reasons ! :cool:

I know Rockbank have improved, but even in poor weather, the Redbacks needed to win by more on Saturday. They have some match winners in their side, but there is an awful lot of disharmony down at Romsey Park from what I'm hearing. Lot of players happy to take potshots at the coach behind his back. Their best 10 players are very good, but their next 12 are not so flash. Might make the six but won't have any bearing on the finals for mine.

He started the year a little slowly then copped a medial knee injury against Romsey, & has not played since. Was a bit stiff that game because he was really having a crack & looked like he had worked himself into form & was going to have a real blinder of a day !

I'd be surprised if he wasn't up & about after the next extended break. :thumbsu:

He started the year a little slowly then copped a medial knee injury against Romsey, & has not played since. Was a bit stiff that game because he was really having a crack & looked like he had worked himself into form & was going to have a real blinder of a day ![/B]

Was at that game Omni, didnt he go down just after half time?, didnt do much before then.....hung out the back, roved a few contests, led the opposite side to the huddle at kick-ins, he was doing much the same in a few games I saw him play at the Cats last year. Its called the "Milny slide", got a little bit to do with getting ahead of one's self. Great player no doubt, but a year away from the bombers made his underlings, (no offence intended), make the step up.

Plenty of conflicting stories getting around, so dunno who to believe. Ive known Russ for some time now, warned him when he was contemplating the gig that she's a pretty tough and thankless position. He's had a go, didn't work out, so he's moving on - better to have tried than looked back and said "if only". In fairness another committee member mentioned to one of ours that there are bugger all helpers - and with a new job, young kids and other interests you need a balance, perhaps something had to give.

I just hope he didn't have the key to the footy and water bottles cupboard as I took the young bloke up for our regular look at training and they were off the park by the time we drove in (about 7.10pm).
You are right about bugger all helpers but not from a committee point of view Kilmore does not have a large supporter base and jobs like umpire escort, timekepper,interchange steward,team manager ,and so on are are very hard to fill .Russ resigned due to work commitments and has been taken over by ex president Bernie Hede.Secretary Glenn Barnes also resigned for reasons unknown.

You are right about bugger all helpers but not from a committee point of view Kilmore does not have a large supporter base and jobs like umpire escort, timekepper,interchange steward,team manager ,and so on are are very hard to fill .Russ resigned due to work commitments and has been taken over by ex president Bernie Hede.Secretary Glenn Barnes also resigned for reasons unknown.

Could be someting to do with his appearance at the tribunal and the verdict. Can deregistered players hold club positions?

Riddell FNC (1st, 7-1) Vs Broadford FNC (12th, 0-8)
Riddells Creek Reserve - Riddell
Top against bottom. The Bombers coming off a loss in front of their home crowd.

At the risk of being seen as negative....... Home crowd is normally at Riddell and they ain't been beaten there for close to 7 seasons.

The thing Bladey does best is what the Cats need. A midfielder/winger to break the lines and kick a couple of quick goals from seemingly nowhere. Footy is very much about momentum and if you have a guy who can produce a 10 minute blitz and the team kicks four or five goals, you catch the opposition on the hop.

Blokes like Adam Johnstone, Aaron Christiansen, Darren Goodwin, Tim Dettmann etc. are all good senior footy players (jury still out on Johnstone though) but probably not going to win games off their own boots too often. Nippa Wright is still very very young and could well become the X-factor match winner the Cats need.

Entitled to your opinion Matt but I doubt that even Blades most ardent admirers would decribe him as a player that "breaks the lines". Yes he is capable of kicking quick goals & is of course a very good player, but probably not a great example of the type of player you are suggesting the Cats need. Your description of Adam Johnstone, however, beggars belief. I'll take it that perhaps you are questioning his form post his recovery from a serious knee injury, & again that can be your opinion, but if you are suggesting otherwise that he's not a good senior footballer (Hawks Premiership Captain 2007 & Best & Fairest winner) then that is a plainly ridiculous statement.

Entitled to your opinion Matt but I doubt that even Blades most ardent admirers would decribe him as a player that "breaks the lines". Yes he is capable of kicking quick goals & is of course a very good player, but probably not a great example of the type of player you are suggesting the Cats need. Your description of Adam Johnstone, however, beggars belief. I'll take it that perhaps you are questioning his form post his recovery from a serious knee injury, & again that can be your opinion, but if you are suggesting otherwise that he's not a good senior footballer (Hawks Premiership Captain 2007 & Best & Fairest winner) then that is a plainly ridiculous statement.

Over the years Johnno has played a few handy games. The one that sticks out to most was the final against Riddell where Jason Allen let him run rampant. He is very much a working class midfielder. Very much replacable. I know he is coming back from a knee operation but one of his teammates thinks he is very lucky to be holding his place in the team right now.

Over the years Johnno has played a few handy games. The one that sticks out to most was the final against Riddell where Jason Allen let him run rampant. He is very much a working class midfielder. Very much replacable. I know he is coming back from a knee operation but one of his teammates thinks he is very lucky to be holding his place in the team right now.

What kind of "teammate" would say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back