RDFNL 2020 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

2 questions for me, when do we need to be able to have crowds by, and how many people need to be able to gather to make it economically feasible, considering to play 3 games of footy and 4 games of netball you have around 250 people to start with.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I believe that the latest we can start is the 8th August.

But from the news heading around at the moment, a decision on whether some of the key metro leagues will go ahead in 2020 will take place as early as this week. You can bet your house if they pull the pin, AFL Vic will pull the pin on everyone else.

But from the news heading around at the moment, a decision on whether some of the key metro leagues will go ahead in 2020 will take place as early as this week. You can bet your house if they pull the pin, AFL Vic will pull the pin on everyone else.

As I live and breathe .....

changes to numbers allowed on ground for training now allowed to have two groups of 20

changes to numbers allowed on ground for training now allowed to have two groups of 20

As long as it is supported by local councils, which currently, isn't forthcoming.

As long as it is supported by local councils, which currently, isn't forthcoming.
Luckily for lancefield the ground is run by committee of management. the Park committee is proactive in getting the community back to as close to normal as the current situation allows.

From a mental health perspective, I would love to see the season go ahead. As a volunteer who will be charged with carrying most of the workload, I wish they would call it all off right now.

The biggest concern I have right now is the fact that we live in a litigious society, and one slip up could have significant implications on the already stretched resources available at our clubs. I get the fact that those that have financial ties to a season going ahead being keen for it to do so, and I also get those that are out there coming up with different ideas to push the seasons forward, but most of those ideas are coming from people who are not chained to the responsibility of keeping their club ticking over. As with most of what happens, it is pretty easy to sit back from afar and throw suggestions at the people running our clubs and not have to put the work in themselves. Pretty sure most of you know how much I love local footy. But I am exhausted at the thought of what our requirements as volunteers will be to get underway this season, let alone the fact that any action will likely see all clubs go backward, at least a little bit.

This is just my personal view mind you, and I know that others will have differing opinions. But just going through the hoops to get the boys and girls back on the track has been exhausting...

Again, these are my personal thoughts and does not reflect in any way the position of the club I am involved in, because as I do every year, I will be front and centre to make sure that our club gets on the field and our people get to play the sports they love.

From a mental health perspective, I would love to see the season go ahead. As a volunteer who will be charged with carrying most of the workload, I wish they would call it all off right now.

The biggest concern I have right now is the fact that we live in a litigious society, and one slip up could have significant implications on the already stretched resources available at our clubs. I get the fact that those that have financial ties to a season going ahead being keen for it to do so, and I also get those that are out there coming up with different ideas to push the seasons forward, but most of those ideas are coming from people who are not chained to the responsibility of keeping their club ticking over. As with most of what happens, it is pretty easy to sit back from afar and throw suggestions at the people running our clubs and not have to put the work in themselves. Pretty sure most of you know how much I love local footy. But I am exhausted at the thought of what our requirements as volunteers will be to get underway this season, let alone the fact that any action will likely see all clubs go backward, at least a little bit.

This is just my personal view mind you, and I know that others will have differing opinions. But just going through the hoops to get the boys and girls back on the track has been exhausting...

Again, these are my personal thoughts and does not reflect in any way the position of the club I am involved in, because as I do every year, I will be front and centre to make sure that our club gets on the field and our people get to play the sports they love.

Well said

Freak ;)

In saying that, if IMS is cooked, as I know he has lived this since March for the sake of others ... then all the strength to those less dedicated, or without the tools or support networks required to make 2020 happen.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if the ammos will go ahead? No player payments might be a massive factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure, albeit an ammos club playing outta a school or college might be seen as a non essential activity happening at those grounds. The player payments may be the least of their worries.

Hey Morgs, u starting to feel nervous? Those leagues are a stack stronger than ours. Surely all leagues now just fall in behind these two and cancel.
Yep very nervous. You say stronger, I have other words I would use about people/ organisations that throw the towel in early.

The RDFNL Board is aware that some leagues across the state such as the HDFL and KDFL and more recently the EFNL and NFNL have decided to cancel their respective seasons.

The RDFNL has maintained that it is committed to proceeding with season 2020 providing three things:
1. That it is safe to so for our players, umpires and volunteers.
2. That the protocols are not too much of a burden on volunteers at Clubs.
3. That it is financially viable for our Clubs and that their long term sustainability is not in question.

At this stage, the RDFNL believes that there is still significant time at our disposal for restrictions to be further lifted in time for play to hopefully commence in the coming weeks/months. The RDFNL is in support of AFL Victoria's position on lobbying the state government of Victoria for community sport to return and are waiting on this advice before a decision is made about potential start dates for a season.

Once more information is available from AFL Victoria, the RDFNL can then take action as to the next steps but at this stage nothing has changed and we are hopeful that season 2020 will commence when it is safe to do so.

931aa7555c847f244e1a523b7e69b04e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heard a whisper during the week that the GDCA may have been sticking to their normal season dates. That wouldn’t allow for much of a season if cricket wasn’t prepared to move.
In fairness.. I think they're probably entitled to.. if we have a wet summer, they'll lose out on a number of matches and there is little wiggle room at the other end to extend the season because of football starting .. could the best solution be that all local Cricket Associations and football netball leagues work together to assure that the Cricketers get a full summer season without disruption and the footballers and netballers get a full, uninterrupted season in 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

RDFNL 2020 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back