RDFNL 2024 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone see that Kyneton bus today parked out the front as you headed into the ground?

Surely they don’t have a bus of that size purely for themselves, if so that is very impressive.

Credit to both sides in the seniors today, thought it was a very high quality Grand Final in front of a massive crowd.

Will be interesting to see if both sides can keep the majority of there players for 2025.

Rumour also getting around Romsey today that Rupo have had some initial discussions with the league re coming back to RDFL.

At this rate every club will play each other once by 2028. Really becoming a destination league

I believe the bus was for seniors and reserves teams to support their 19s. Great support from their club

It was a really good contest and Wallan gave their all, but Riddell just had too much class across the ground.

A few observations:
  • Loved the aggression from Stewart, really toed the line a few times though and Riddell kept at him all day (particularly Pannuccio).

While I thought his ruck work got Wallan back into the game in the third Stewarts aggression was embarrassing. Reeked of old man getting beaten in his last days throwing cheap shots around.

Great summary mate.

Attended my first RDFL grand final today.

-Great atmosphere and lines for food moving pretty quickly. Canteen still had food post game ✅
-Lots of car parking and straight in without lining up. ✅

• Galea was up & about early and had 4 by half time I think. That set up the game. Carlise going onto in the 3rd was a great move. Kept him quite, so probably should have started on him as he was to clever for the Wallan defender early. Or you need to put an aggressive type on him.
  • reckon.

Carlise went to the weakest Riddell fwd in the first Q and played the zone off role and then moved fwd with the wind in the 2nd. He then went to Galea in the third when the damage was done early and held him but I dont know why he stayed at FB on him in the last Q when Wallan needed to win the game.

Great summary mate.

Attended my first RDFL grand final today.

-Great atmosphere and lines for food moving pretty quickly. Canteen still had food post game ✅
-Lots of car parking and straight in without lining up. ✅
  • The ruck duel between Stewart and Grabham was great to watch. Neither did much around the ground though but went at each other all day. Not sure Stewart liked Grabham putting a knee into him even from behind. Lucky he didn’t wear a couple more. Stewart and Tarczon also going at it early was interesting.
  • Galea was up & about early and had 4 by half time I think. That set up the game. Carlise going onto in the 3rd was a great move. Kept him quite, so probably should have started on him as he was to clever for the Wallan defender early. Or you need to put an aggressive type on him.
  • Tarczon was great all game but he did give away a 50 early and Riddell were a touch undisciplined at time. I did notice that giving away a 50 the coach doesn’t take em off as punishment..
  • Wallan #15 going into the ruck was a good move I thought as Stewart was very sore at 1/2 time and clearly limping. He had no influence up forward as Wallan couldn’t get it deep in the last quarter. Bellino was ok but his just so unfit..
  • Carlise on the big $$ no doubt and didn’t give much especially in that 1st half. But Wallan have poor foot skills.
  • Riddell just to strong physically and were cleaner by foot. Won more clearances early and had no match up for Tarczon in the middle. Wallan maybe should have played Gilchrist on him early.
  • Wallans Matt Perri didn’t get near it other than kick that goal in the 3rd
  • I like Wallan 16 Gilchrist. His tough and runs straight and he and 15 really lifted in the 3rd.
  • Olgivie lifted in the last quarter also.
  • Riddell #13 was good all game as was #15 off half back.
  • I liked Wallans #9 Reubon Rode. His going to be a player..

It’s interesting to compare leagues but compared to edfl I think Riddell wouldn’t be top 4 in div1. Maybe between 5th - 7th

Carlise went to the weakest Riddell fwd in the first Q and played the zone off role and then moved fwd with the wind in the 2nd. He then went to Galea in the third when the damage was done early and held him but I dont know why he stayed at FB on him in the last Q when Wallan needed to win the

Carlisle struggled 4 kicks for the day 4 turnovers by foot.

Galea now that’s how you spend money

While I thought his ruck work got Wallan back into the game in the third Stewarts aggression was embarrassing. Reeked of old man getting beaten in his last days throwing cheap shots around.
It’s an interesting observation as I too was watching this contest closely and Stewart looked frustrated at times but his never been one to be challenged as his a tough big unit. The Riddell players were getting on his nerves but reluctant to get to close. Stewart did give them a couple but they deserved it. Great to see the umpires not overreact to it. Also noticed the Riddell ruckman always trying to put a knee into Stewart’s thigh even when it wasn’t necessary so Stewart was probably just reacting to that.
On Stewart, will he go around again?? Looked very sore at half time and not as dominant as a few years back, as to be expected.

Carlise went to the weakest Riddell fwd in the first Q and played the zone off role and then moved fwd with the wind in the 2nd. He then went to Galea in the third when the damage was done early and held him but I dont know why he stayed at FB on him in the last Q when Wallan needed to win the game.
Great call out as agree he probably should have went forward in the last quarter but Wallan struggled at times to get the ball in deep and most of their goals were outside the 20-30mt area except for 50mt free kicks. Would have tried to put Carlise on ball. Even at the start maybe matching him up against Tarczon would have been an interesting contest.

Overall Carlise was very disappointing, and for the outlay would have expected more.

Also noticed the Riddell ruckman always trying to put a knee into Stewart’s thigh even when it wasn’t necessary so Stewart was probably just reacting to that.
On Stewart, will he go around again?? Looked very sore at half time and not as dominant as a few years back, as to be expected.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this. If I had a gripe, this was it. Wasn't nearly as bad in the earlier rounds, but it was very noticeable in the GF. No wonder he seemed done at 3/4 time.

He's signed on for next year. Getting to know him has been one of the highlights of the year for me personally. Ripping bloke.

Congrats to Riddell. Simply too bloody good on the day.

Fantastic crowd and atmosphere which was probably helped with the netball so close.

Great effort by Diggers in the twos, they were amazing.

of course they all go around again. unless the pays get reduced to fit in micallef who was mentioned at Coburgsunday as a chance to head out to wallan next season. let the silly season begin.

of course they all go around again. unless the pays get reduced to fit in micallef who was mentioned at Coburgsunday as a chance to head out to wallan next season. let the silly season begin.
coach beard pays reduced 🤣🤣
So was the return of investment worth the $$$ that Wallan payed Carlisle
Was it a successful season for Wallan or another promise a lot but deliver little season for Wallan?

coach beard pays reduced 🤣🤣
So was the return of investment worth the $$$ that Wallan payed Carlisle
Was it a successful season for Wallan or another promise a lot but deliver little season for Wallan?
not for me to decide. they made a grand final and assume that’s an improvement on the year before.
what is it they need to go again for another crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Wallan need a good mid and a backline general with speed and foot skills. Noticed Perri was very quite and hardly got near it beside for that goal.

My money would be on Victor. Tarczon is just a mouth piece.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Watched my first RDFL game for the year Sunday(spent my year NFNL Div 1 & EDFL Premier Div). Fantastic venue, great crowd , good physical contest, very well done by all. I recall an announcement that Riddell League is now a Premier Competition, is that correct? If so , the pure football standard is well below NFNL & EDFL. Both those teams would be in relegation battle in those comps

Watched my first RDFL game for the year Sunday(spent my year NFNL Div 1 & EDFL Premier Div). Fantastic venue, great crowd , good physical contest, very well done by all. I recall an announcement that Riddell League is now a Premier Competition, is that correct? If so , the pure football standard is well below NFNL & EDFL. Both those teams would be in relegation battle in those comps
I’d have to agree

I tend to agree as well mate. In theory, now being a Premier competition should help the league grow, attract bigger names and rise in standard. I'm sure most here are keen to see that. I'm hopeful struggling teams like Lancefeild and Centrals can get going and be competitive & the standard of the juniors rises as well. This league ticks alot of boxes now and it's only going to get better especially when there was question on its viability with clubs leaving left right and centre. Long live RDFL.

It’s an interesting observation as I too was watching this contest closely and Stewart looked frustrated at times but his never been one to be challenged as his a tough big unit. The Riddell players were getting on his nerves but reluctant to get to close. Stewart did give them a couple but they deserved it. Great to see the umpires not overreact to it. Also noticed the Riddell ruckman always trying to put a knee into Stewart’s thigh even when it wasn’t necessary so Stewart was probably just reacting to that.
Give me a spell Turbo. Chris Stewart was belting blokes all game on Sunday not to mention the Qualifying final with gut punches etc. He gets away with way too much of that stuff and the umpires are intimidated by him.
Your having a go at a ruckman who is protecting himself in a ruck contest with his knee up.
Grabham rucked all day V 2-3 Wallan ruckman and never took a backward step all day
Stewart was lucky not to get reported a few times for belting the smallest bloke on the ground in Pannucio who i thought was fantastic all day.

Give me a spell Turbo. Chris Stewart was belting blokes all game on Sunday not to mention the Qualifying final with gut punches etc. He gets away with way too much of that stuff and the umpires are intimidated by him.
Your having a go at a ruckman who is protecting himself in a ruck contest with his knee up.
Grabham rucked all day V 2-3 Wallan ruckman and never took a backward step all day
Stewart was lucky not to get reported a few times for belting the smallest bloke on the ground in Pannucio who i thought was fantastic all day.

I live streamed the game, even the commentators said Stewart needs to pull his head in and concentrate more on the game.

hard to argue definitily not premier in standard. who actually came up with the decision.how does the word premier help clubs like lancfield and centrals it could have a horrible impact

I couldn’t agree more . I’ve seen him play 5 times this year and in every one of these games I’ve seen him give cheap punches into the back and guts of opposition players when they aren’t looking and off the ball ,
He is a great player . It’s unfortunate that he does these things on the field .

Grabham did very well and probably broke even as neither was influential outside the ruck contests. I’m not talking about protecting himself as off course you can raise the knee to
Protect himself but I seen other things mate and I’m a neutral supporter at the game.

Yes Stewart was giving out a few but I don’t believe any were worth reporting and spoiling a game as the Riddell boys were in his face a bit. That little bloke did a good job I agree but if you’re going to mouth off and the big boys expect a bit back. He copped one off the ball and went down but glad the umpires let it go.

I tend to agree as well mate. In theory, now being a Premier competition should help the league grow, attract bigger names and rise in standard. I'm sure most here are keen to see that. I'm hopeful struggling teams like Lancefeild and Centrals can get going and be competitive & the standard of the juniors rises as well. This league ticks alot of boxes now and it's only going to get better especially when there was question on its viability with clubs leaving left right and centre. Long live RDFL.

Small thing but noticed the umpires don’t have a sponsor logo on the shirt.

Some big names possibly heading to Riddell next season and yes that’s on the back of the leagues reputation growing somewhat.

Remove this Banner Ad

RDFNL 2024 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back