Research Recent Deaths

Remove this Banner Ad

Ron Branton has died aged 90
https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1570534/vale-ron-branton
(please update his wiki)

Peter Morris (Richmond) has also passed away. I dont have exact death date yet, family hasn't put one in yet

side note: I've never seen a year like this with so many Richmond people passing. However it may seem like more than normal because our club like to cover all levels of Richmond, and those off the field who had a Richmond type connection (ie: Peter Sheales who umpired 1967 flag)

Ron Branton has died aged 90
https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1570534/vale-ron-branton
(please update his wiki)

Peter Morris (Richmond) has also passed away. I dont have exact death date yet, family hasn't put one in yet

side note: I've never seen a year like this with so many Richmond people passing. However it may seem like more than normal because our club like to cover all levels of Richmond, and those off the field who had a Richmond type connection (ie: Peter Sheales who umpired 1967 flag)

2024 seems to be the VFL/AFL equivalent of 2016's celebrity casualty list.

At least 8 VFL/AFL players now have died and, McCarthy and Bingley aside, this is 6 deaths within 3-4 weeks.

With Morris, unless I have missed some, or the data isn't correctly in WikiData, there have only been 3 Senior Richmond players die this year. Full list.
1965 was the deadliest year for the Tigers with 15 deaths. More recently, 2003, 2006, 2011 and 2016 each had 11 deaths.
Only 2 in 2022 and 3 in 2023 though, so this is equal to/worse than those with still half a year to go.
Peter Morris's death date is May 31, 2024 as per my conversation with his son.
Can that be updated on wiki, and Oliver G
Technically, we aren't able to update Wikipedia until a "reliable source" published the infomation.
Now, whilst I trust you completely Rhett, many others might not! So until it gets updated elsewhere (AustralianFootball or the club websites are the usual leaders, news sites for very high profile players), we really can't update Wikipedia.

With Morris, unless I have missed some, or the data isn't correctly in WikiData, there have only been 3 Senior Richmond players die this year. Full list.
1965 was the deadliest year for the Tigers with 15 deaths. More recently, 2003, 2006, 2011 and 2016 each had 11 deaths.
Only 2 in 2022 and 3 in 2023 though, so this is equal to/worse than those with still half a year to go.

Technically, we aren't able to update Wikipedia until a "reliable source" published the infomation.
Now, whilst I trust you completely Rhett, many others might not! So until it gets updated elsewhere (AustralianFootball or the club websites are the usual leaders, news sites for very high profile players), we really can't update Wikipedia.

No stress. We will keep an eye out for Peter Morris death notice.

As for all the Richmond deaths, im including Reserve players, U19s, and officials, volunteers etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood one-gamer Fred Smith died recently:
1719300587217.png
Unfortunately, I can't provide a link at the moment, as I haven't seen a death notice for Fred (who died in Adelaide). The 'clip' I've included is from his page on the updated version of Collingwood Forever, but the site is still being worked on and hasn't yet been relaunched.

Oliver G

Collingwood one-gamer Fred Smith died recently:
View attachment 2030017
Unfortunately, I can't provide a link at the moment, as I haven't seen a death notice for Fred (who died in Adelaide). The 'clip' I've included is from his page on the updated version of Collingwood Forever, but the site is still being worked on and hasn't yet been relaunched.

Oliver G

You don't know how pleased I am to hear that an updated version of Collingwood Forever is coming! It was fairly revolutionary in 2017, but since its stagnation, a few other clubs have bypassed the Pies and it's hard to use as a reference point when the stats are all so outdated.

Is there anything else you can share with us? :)

You don't know how pleased I am to hear that an updated version of Collingwood Forever is coming! It was fairly revolutionary in 2017, but since its stagnation, a few other clubs have bypassed the Pies and it's hard to use as a reference point when the stats are all so outdated.

Is there anything else you can share with us? :)
It should be coming quite soon now, though there's still a bit of work that needs to be done! The relaunch was meant to have happened a few months back. The look of the "new" site won't be a lot different to how the old one looked, but it will be updated to the end of the 2023 season, at least. Unfortunately, it doesn't look as if we will have 2024 player/match statistics showing. That's a bit disappointing, and I'm really not sure why we can't have it updated week by week during the season at this stage. With a bit of luck that might change down the track, so we'll see!

While there's not really much in the way of new features, the players section will have a new look, and I do like the look of it! While the players are sorted in alphabetical order (by default), you'll be able to sort them in order of DOB, debut year, games total, goals total, jumper number, as well as look at them by awards won, and see all the players for any given year (you could do that with the old site).

Remove this Banner Ad

Research Recent Deaths

Remove this Banner Ad

Back