Food & Drink Recipe Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Grilled chicken wings with garlic & lemon marinade
If you're into bbq then this is my go to recipe for chicken wings. Keeps the wings from drying out over the charcoal & tastes awesome. And yes, I split the wings before I marinade, you can obviously already buy them split at any shop.

If you're into bbq then this is my go to recipe for chicken wings. Keeps the wings from drying out over the charcoal & tastes awesome. And yes, I split the wings before I marinade, you can obviously already buy them split at any shop.

Ticky, I need your help.

I can’t do a decent slow-cooked beef casserole. My lamb is A-grade (even BrendafromBalnarring acknowledges it’s better than restaurant quality) but the beef just comes out dry. And lamb is so prohibitively expensive I can’t justify using it to cook for the kids. Decent curries only.

Is it the slow cooker? I find it is better (but still not good enough) if I use the crockpot.

Please help!

Ticky, I need your help.

I can’t do a decent slow-cooked beef casserole. My lamb is A-grade (even BrendafromBalnarring acknowledges it’s better than restaurant quality) but the beef just comes out dry. And lamb is so prohibitively expensive I can’t justify using it to cook for the kids. Decent curries only.

Is it the slow cooker? I find it is better (but still not good enough) if I use the crockpot.

Please help!

Hi Bruce. I use the slow cooker. The cheaper the cut of beef, the better it works especially if there is bone in. I use ox tail a lot.

You and Mrs BfB and the kids might enjoy kara kare -Filipino slow cooked dish using Ox Tail (and tripe which I love, but know others don't) and finished in kid friendly mild peanut sauce.

Hi Bruce. I use the slow cooker. The cheaper the cut of beef, the better it works especially if there is bone in. I use ox tail a lot.

You and Mrs BfB and the kids might enjoy kara kare -Filipino slow cooked dish using Ox Tail (and tripe which I love, but know others don't) and finished in kid friendly mild peanut sauce.

I’m trying a vindaloo tomorrow (stuff the kids). I’ve already got the meat marinating.

But I’ll give that a go during the week. Also want to nail a rendang.

Ticky, I need your help.

Please help!
OMG Bruce. I totally missed this post. A thousand apologies.

Do you seal your beef before cooking, Bruce? And is there a particular casserole recipe that's eluding you or is it all beef casseroles in the slow cooker?

Spaghetti & Sausage
Spaghetti & Sausage:
Dead set easy and I like the option of using different sausages depending on what you prefer. This feeds 2, so for the singles its an easy pop the rest into the Tupperware container.

• 170g Sausage. I used Tuscan style thick sausages from Vics Meats
  • 130g spaghetti
  • three slices of yellow onion diced
  • 135g Pasta Sauce
  • parmesan to garnish

1) Skin the sausages & crumble them as much as you can into a slightly oiled pan. Don't use too much oil, if your sausages are good quality they'll provide just enough to assist.
2) Dice the onions & add them in too. Should probably cook them separately before but I cant be arsed.
3) By this time your saucepan of salted water should be boiling and you can whack in your pasta while #1 & #2 are cooking.
4) When the onion & sausage meat is cooked add your pasta sauce. Be it home made or store bought. I have a bad reaction to most supermarket pasta sauces so either make my own or use the one I've bought from Dan's Pasta in sydney.
5) If your spaghetti is fresh it shouldn't take more than 3-4 mins to cook.
6) Once the sauce is heated through and you pastas is done just pull the pasta straight out of the saucepan with some tongs & add to the pan
7) mix well. I tend to snip the spaghetti a bit which is probably sacrilegious but its way easier to mix & eat.
8) Garnish with some grated parmesan

The key to this is one is good sausage :tongueoutv1: the bulk buy 'sausage meat' from Woollies for Coles just doesn't cut it.

Are you following me? I opened it and washed it out today. Trying lamb shanks tomorrow :D
Lamb shanks one of my all time favourite foods. My sister & I were whining how they could be bought for like $1 each back in the day - the Australia discovered cookery shows :madv1:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9 hours cooked. Lamb fell off the bone and was super tender. Overall a bit bland and lots of leftover liquid
9 hours is a long time for shanks. Also, I take the meat out an hour before recipes call for it and put it in the oven to get a 'crust' on the outside.

My lamb ones are great. But I’m blowed if I know why the beef tastes dry. I seal it. Same with roasts. Aside from the beef cheeks, I just can’t get the results with beef that I get with lamb.
Im not sure Bruce. There's a few things that might be happening.

1. The beef is being over cooked. When its over cooked it actually gets dry.
  2. Beef is too lean. You seem to be having success with the beef cheeks, probably because of all the marrow in them. Gravy beef, ox tail are some go to cuts
  3. Cuts might be too small. Which in turn leads to #1

Im not sure Bruce. There's a few things that might be happening.

1. The beef is being over cooked. When its over cooked it actually gets dry.
  2. Beef is too lean. You seem to be having success with the beef cheeks, probably because of all the marrow in them. Gravy beef, ox tail are some go to cuts
  3. Cuts might be too small. Which in turn leads to #1

Reckon it might be all three from the sounds. I’ve been cooking the other cuts for 10 hours (lamb 8) because that works for the cheeks.

Reckon it might be all three from the sounds. I’ve been cooking the other cuts for 10 hours (lamb 8) because that works for the cheeks.
I've never cooked anything over 8 hours in my slow cooker.

I do agree with you regarding the lamb, it's much easier to slow cook.

Spaghetti & Sausage:
Dead set easy and I like the option of using different sausages depending on what you prefer. This feeds 2, so for the singles its an easy pop the rest into the Tupperware container.

• 170g Sausage. I used Tuscan style thick sausages from Vics Meats
  • 130g spaghetti
  • three slices of yellow onion diced
  • 135g Pasta Sauce
  • parmesan to garnish

1) Skin the sausages & crumble them as much as you can into a slightly oiled pan. Don't use too much oil, if your sausages are good quality they'll provide just enough to assist.
2) Dice the onions & add them in too. Should probably cook them separately before but I cant be arsed.
3) By this time your saucepan of salted water should be boiling and you can whack in your pasta while #1 & #2 are cooking.
4) When the onion & sausage meat is cooked add your pasta sauce. Be it home made or store bought. I have a bad reaction to most supermarket pasta sauces so either make my own or use the one I've bought from Dan's Pasta in sydney.
5) If your spaghetti is fresh it shouldn't take more than 3-4 mins to cook.
6) Once the sauce is heated through and you pastas is done just pull the pasta straight out of the saucepan with some tongs & add to the pan
7) mix well. I tend to snip the spaghetti a bit which is probably sacrilegious but its way easier to mix & eat.
8) Garnish with some grated parmesan

The key to this is one is good sausage :tongueoutv1: the bulk buy 'sausage meat' from Woollies for Coles just doesn't cut it.
Try
sausage skinned and browned
garlic parsley and a bay leaf in EVOO
and a can of tomatoes
cook for a few hours on low
add basil near the end

Nothing but sausage, tomato & basil? What else do you serve it with?
and garlic parsley and a bayleaf ,,,if you want add some dried chilli too
I serve it on penne.. add parmesan off course

The sausage has heaps of flavour makes sure you brown it
cook it in the tomato for over an hour it breaks down all the rubbery bits you get in a sausage and makes the sauce rich

the better the tin the better the flavour I use aldi or la gina or annalyssa (whole)

I forgot add tin of water at the start too and if it dries out too much add a bit more ,,,keep it really low lid on and shouldnt

Sausage & Red wine pasta
I forgot add tin of water at the start too and if it dries out too much add a bit more ,,,keep it really low lid on and shouldnt
Agreed, if you allow ithe sauce to boil too long you're in trouble, simmer is best. I've cooked something similar in the past, usually add about a half a cup of red wine:wineglass: the half of the bottle is drunk durin while I cook:tongueoutv1:

Anyone know where I can find some good Irish or British sausages in Sydney? Preferably old Irish style sausages. Loved them growing up in the UK but can't quite find the same quality over here.

I've discovered and tried this thing called Nduja which is a spicy Italian spreadable sausage and it is AMAZING. It is expensive but a little bit of it goes a long way, especially on pizza. Has a good amount of kick but nothing too overwhelming. Think I might try it in pasta next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Food & Drink Recipe Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back