Records that may never be broken

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo kicked only 1.7 (13) in a match against Adelaide in 2009, so really low scoring is still around. Don't know what conditions that game was played in.

Conditions were fine, however freo's injury list was huge for that game. From what I remember Pav, Sandi, McPharlin, Mundy all missed. Ryan Murphy kicked the only dockers goal and was dropped for the next game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the longest consecutive losses at a venue? Because the Melbourne run at Etihad would surely go close to any record...

There might me 20 weeks of torrential rain leading up to a game, the grounds aren't that advanced to cope... Players simply can't move in the mud, let a lone dispose of the ball. Somehow the AFL doesn't call off the game, neither team can score, 0-0 draw.

It's a possibility

if there's 20 weeks of torrential rain, i think the biggest issue would be with most of the dams bursting and entire cities being flooded.

A lot of withstanding AFL records will not be broken. The game has changed massively. A 4 goal-haul today is as good as an 8 bag was 15 years ago.

Off the top of my head...

- The 150 goal seasons by Peter Hudson & Bob Pratt. Can't see with the structures of the modern game anyone getting close to this.

- 18 goals in a match by Fred Fanning in 1947. This is perhaps a little more breakable than the previous, but it would take a really off day by opposition defenders and a really on day by the goal kicker.

Any others likely to last the test of time?

Interested to know of any state/local/junior or International leagues records as well.

Didn't Buddy get 13 a few years ago? Those records will be lucky to last 100 years let alone eternity.

Essendon went 21-1 in 2000 and won all 3 finals, Geelong 21-1 in 2008 and 2-1 in the finals. But how about a team going 22-0 in the regular season and 3-0 in the finals. Collingwood is the only team to go undefeated in the minor round 18-0, but did lose 1 final before recovering to win a premiership.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Records that may never be broken

Remove this Banner Ad

Back