Remove this Banner Ad

Merv

<b>Resident Mongrel</b>
10k Posts
Jun 24, 2006
The start of a new era
AFL Club
Essendon
Here is a list of our recruits from 2000.
I have highlighted the "sucessful"ones and tto be honest have given some players the benifit of the doubt.
IMO this is totally unaceptable and would probably rank as one of the worst in the league.
I know they are doing a revamp, but should we look at trying to lure a big name recruting manager from elsewhere?
Drafts now determine where you finish on the ladder in years to come, simple as that

I have left out this years draft as its too early to say
Draft selection: 17, James Davies from Xavier. Played 3 game with Essendon.
Draft selection: 27, Ted Richards from Sandringham U18. Played 33 games with Essendon.
Draft selection: 32, Sam Hunt from Geelong U18. Played 7 games with Essendon.
Draft selection: 47, Jordan Bannister from Calder U18. Played 14 games with Essendon.
Draft selection: 63, Marc Bullen from Murray U18. Played 44 games with Essendon.
Draft selection: 74, Michael Davis from Sandringham. Played 0 games with Essendon.
Rookie Elev: Rookie Elev, Cory McGrath from South Fremantle. Played 28 games with Essendon.
Rookie Elev: Rookie Elev, Adam Switala from Central District. Played 0 games with Essendon.

Draft selection: 18, Shane Harvey from Northern U18. Played 11 games with Essendon.
Draft selection: 31, Joel Reynolds from Geelong U18.
Draft selection: 34, Simon O'Keefe from Murray U18. Played 0 games with Essendon.
Draft selection: 47, Andrew Welsh from Calder U18.
Draft selection: 50, Paul Salmon from Hawthorn. Played 15 games with Essendon.
Draft selection: 64, Daniel McAlister from Essendon. Played 6 games with Essendon.
Rookie Elev: Rookie Elev, Damien Peverill from Coburg.

Draft selection: 10, Jason Laycock from Tassie Mariners.
Draft selection: 11, Jason Winderlich from Gippsland Power.
Draft selection: 27, Darren Walsh from Sandringham played 2 games with Essendon.
Draft selection: 28, Tristan Cartledge from North Ballarat Rebels.
Draft selection: 40, Jobe Watson from Sandringham Dragons - Father/Son Rule Draft selection: 67, Steve Alessio from Essendon. Played 16 games (re-drafted - 179 games in total).

Draft selection: 6, Kepler Bradley from West Perth Draft
Draft selection: 13, Brent Stanton from Northern Knights Draft
Draft selection: 28, Jay Nash from Central Districts Draft
Draft selection: 44, Ricky Dyson from Northern Knights
Rookie elevation: Courtney Johns from East Fremantle
Rookie elevation: Ben Haynes from Richmond. Played 26 games with Essendon

Pre season: 6, Ty Zantuck from Richmond played 6 games with Essendon
Draft Selection: 14, Angus Monfries from Sturt Draft
Draft Selection: 30, Andrew Lee from Tassie Mariners Draft
Draft Selection: 46, Henry Slattery from West Adelaide Draft

Draft Selection: 60, Paul Thomas from Central Districts Draft. Played 8 games with Essendon
Rookie: 11, Ryan Bain from Oakleigh Chargers Draft. Played 0 games with Essendon
Rookie: 27, Ben Jolley from Calder Cannons Draft

Rookie elevation: Nathan Lovett-Murray from Bendigo Bombers/Williamstown
Rookie elevation: Andrew Lovett from Northern U18/East Perth
Pre Season: 4, Scott Camporeale from Carlton
Pre Season: 16, Chris Heffernan from Melbourne
Trade: Richard Cole from Collingwood for Draft pick selection 23
Draft Selection: 7, Patrick Ryder from East Fremantle
Draft Selection: 19, Courtenay Dempsey from Morningside
Draft Selection: 39, Jay Neagle father/son selection from Gippsland
Draft Selection: 50, Sam Lonergan from Tassie Mariners
Draft Selection: 66, Austin Lucy from Suncoast Lions
Draft Selection: 39, Jay Neagle father/son selection from Gippsland
Rookie: 4, Lachlan McKinnon from Coberg Tigers Draft
Rookie: 20, Heath Hocking from Eastern Ranges Draft
Rookie: 35, Matthew Firman from Belconnen Draft
Rookie: 47, Tim O’Keefe Bendigo Bombers Draft

I get what youre saying but no ones is perfect, everyone makes mistakes. This mistakes cant be solely be blame on the recruting manager, but they have made many mistakes concerning the who is going to be a star in the future. I think they pick the best one available at the time, but we dont know. You defeinatly have a point.

I think everyone know that the 2000 and 2001 draft where a disaster. 2002 looks like being just a pass.
Given the picks we had in 2003 and 2004 i am reasonably happy with the results.

that post is a bit harsh mate, richards starting @ sydney, winderlich and johns are stiff not to be mentioned successful

djharps said:
that post is a bit harsh mate, richards starting @ sydney, winderlich and johns are stiff not to be mentioned successful

I suppose it depends on what your idea of sucessful is.
Richards although playing for sydney(i think he was dropped on the weekend) was struggling to get a game with us and winderlich and johns certainly have not been sucessful, although they may be in time ( i dont believe they will though )

Merv Neagle said:
I suppose it depends on what your idea of sucessful is.
Richards although playing for sydney(i think he was dropped on the weekend) was struggling to get a game with us and winderlich and johns certainly have not been sucessful, although they may be in time ( i dont believe they will though )

Winderlich definately can be, it may have taken a little longer than we hoped, but I believe he can be a regular contributor.

John's, I'm not so sure

There is no doubt that our recruiting has been very poor since we let Judkins go to Collingwood. Dodoro is not up to it he lost me when he said the Paddy Ryder was concidered number 1 pick and he was rapt that we got him at number 6, maybe in the future he will be a great player for our club but I don't think he is a number 1 pick IMO.

Lets hope we do not stuff this draft.

redandblackveins said:
There is no doubt that our recruiting has been very poor since we let Judkins go to Collingwood. Dodoro is not up to it he lost me when he said the Paddy Ryder was concidered number 1 pick and he was rapt that we got him at number 6, maybe in the future he will be a great player for our club but I don't think he is a number 1 pick IMO.

If we keep losing, who knows, Sheedy might walk, and not stuff up picks 1 and 17.

stander said:
If we keep losing, who knows, Sheedy might walk, and not stuff up picks 1 and 17.

1. Sheedy won't walk, even if we keep losing
2. All draft picks aren't Sheedy's fault
3. Who said we stuffed up with Ryder, we didn't
4. If we have pick 1, its almost a lock for an astounding player
5. The season isn't over yet, we don't have pick 1 yet

redandblackveins said:

Judkins last couple of years at the club weren't all that flash either.

Longy413 said:
Hypothetically speaking, a Sheedy led Essendon make the Grand Final in 2007.

Do you go?

I support a team that has needed a new coach since the 90's and been to every grand final since 1965, and would go again. But we won't see a Sheedy lead Essendon in another G/F imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Longy413 said:
Would you cheer Sheedy if he was presented with the cup?

I can't see him coaching another club to a G/F, so there would be no cheering. Do you really cheer Sheedy still. Incidentally, he had no hesitation in saying to Rohan Connolly he would coach beyond Essendon, in search of the elusive Jock Mchale coaching record, of course. I thought he might have indicated a bit more than just the master servant relationship after all this time. Don't you think ?

Longy413 said:
Not familiar with the concept of hypotheticals? Or are you trying to avoid being hypocritical in answering yes.

Very familiar with hypotheticals, and also the concept of realism. Leave the ifs buts and maybes for your economics tute. When Sheedy recruited Raines and Richardson we still cheered the EFC even though they had to go. Sheedy has to go, but one can still support the club.

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't support the club. I just asked a question, but it's find if you don't wish to answer it.

And economics tute...please. Let's keep away from the personal jibes hey. It's petty.

Longy413 said:
I'm not suggesting you shouldn't support the club. I just asked a question, but it's find if you don't wish to answer it.

And economics tute...please. Let's keep away from the personal jibes hey. It's petty.

You initiated the personal discovery tour of hypocrisy. The only difference we have regarding Sheedy is that you are preapred to put up with him for another year, I, along with many others would welcome an earlier exit.

You dodged a question, and I asked what was a justified question (not statement) on what I had witnessed in this thread.

You on the other make an unjustified and uneducated remark on a personal level of which you have no idea.

There is a difference. And I'm not willing to 'put up' with Sheedy for another year. I actually believe he is the person best suited to coach us in 2007.

Longy413 said:
Would you cheer Sheedy if he was presented with the cup?

Don't turn on him like that. I don't think he'll see another finals series, let alone a premiership but by God I'd cheer if he did. Unfortunately even a new coach wouldn't deliver any great miracles inside 5 years, we're just too set in our ways

Longy413 said:
You dodged a question, and I asked what was a justified question (not statement) on what I had witnessed in this thread.

You on the other make an unjustified and uneducated remark on a personal level of which you have no idea.

There is a difference. And I'm not willing to 'put up' with Sheedy for another year. I actually believe he is the person best suited to coach us in 2007.

You ask pointless questions- and you dodge questions yourself - your posturing is reflective - his suitablity to coach Essendon beyond 2006 is questionable. One positive about two abysmal seasons in a row, he is no position to start talking contract extension.

Kevin Sheedy should and will be allowed to coach Essendon in 2007. The challenge I would put to Kevin is that he leave a list to the next coach similar to the one he inherited in 1981. Sheeds has been magnificent for essendon BUT we have been magnificent for him to. In 81, he had Watson, Madden. Danihers, Foulds, Hawker, Van Der Haar etc to work with. He can give the same opportunity to another person. In 2008, I think it will be time for a new coach. If Sheeds decides to chase records- fine and good luck to him. If Sheeds coaches us to the Premiership next year it will be the most remarkable coaching performance of all time. Longy- Why do you think Sheeds is the man to coach us next year? Pretty interested on your thoughts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting Department

Remove this Banner Ad

Back