Recruiting for 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love to see 2 divisions. The bottom sides of div 1 get relegated to div 2 at the end of the season. And the top of div 2 go up to div 1.

Footy in the region might evolve into a single league with one division in the distant future, but a combined league right now would have to be a two-division model because there are too many clubs in both leagues currently. To have one division right now, you would have to force a significant number of clubs to merge or fold, and that is simply too much change too quickly and would create a massive backlash from grass-roots supporters.

Agreed.

I was talking to a person that is said to be involved with the AFL Victoria "restructure" plan late last year. I'm all for restructure and the rest of it but it needs to be handled in the right way. This bloke was shooting his mouth off saying that the only thing that's important is the strength of the competition and that forced mergers were critical to maintain that strength. I took great pleasure in tearing strips off him about being on a power trip and that AFL Victoria has lost touch with the people it is meant to serve. I would see HUGE backlash if forced mergers were to happen. In my optinion, this can't be allowed to happen; communities can't have their identities stripped.

In my mind - if there had to be a combining of the leagues - a 2 division system would be ideal for clubs in the district league. The trouble with a one division system is that smaller clubs that are already struggling in the HDFL would have basically no choice but to merge. There needs to be some empathy for the people in those clubs. To be forced into merger is quite a traumatic experience for the people involved in clubs. A two-division system would at least protect those struggling clubs from 200-300 point hidings every week.

At the end of the day, an 8-team competition is quite ok so I don't know what all the fuss is about. People go on about "major league status" but I'm pretty sure the Mallee League unofficially stripped the Wimmera League of that a couple of years ago.

I'd love to see 2 divisions. The bottom sides of div 1 get relegated to div 2 at the end of the season. And the top of div 2 go up to div 1.

How do you calculate which teams go up and down? Purely on the basis of Senior Football????

IMO that's not the way to do it...... imagine if Lakers win the HDFL senior flag and go up yet all their netball won wooden spoons and they couldn't field strong junior teams... they go up and their senior football team is mediocre at best and every other teams get flogged even more!!! Not the right answer!

I say let each respective side attempt to do the best they can in the current league their in with no movement up or down. Natural attrition will take its course no matter what i.e. natimuk/united so why bother having a relegation system.

A tiered system works in the VAFA for example, and the incentive is always there to either move up a grade or to avoid relegation. I like the idea, but i'm not sure it would 100% fit the Wimmera region, due to a number of reasons. The Ammos have separate juniors systems that play different venues on different days. The Seniors and Reserves play together. If you were to base your 2 tier system in the Wimmera on Senior results, you then have to fit juniors, reserves and seniors into the one day, and if the situation arises that Ararat and Edenhope, for example, are in the same division, then you have no hope.

I imagine clubs wouldn't be too keen to split their junior system away from the senior system, and it would most likely be too hard for families as well who have juniors, as well as senior footballers and netballers.

The netball is another issue, as again the VAFA model is football only, they are Football clubs, not football and netball incorporated.

So whilst the tiered system as some merit, and it would be great to see footy played with an incentive all the time, I don't think it would work based purely on the fact football in country areas is about community as much as the game itself.

So big news out of the dimmy camp super coach Farr goooonnnneeee!! Who Will be his replacement. How much will it upset the apple cart for the dim bummers!!!

Being an ex Dimmy player i was pleased the boys finally brought home the flag

I am sure the late Mr Saxton would have been pleased up there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-6210-81049-242068-0&a=CLEAR

A few up on sporting pulse. Lots more where the paper work is yet to be processed.

Have had a go at putting senior players ins and outs together.

Feel free to add/remove!

Horsham
Ins: S Hobbs, A Barnett, S Christopher Outs: T Blake, D Parish, S Gilbert, C Gabbe

Horsham Saints
Ins: S Clyne Outs: H Watson, C Dempster, S Lehman, J Wills

Dimboola
Ins: T Blake S Clugston Outs: O Braithwaite, C Bennett

Stawell
Ins: T Cleary, C Ford, A Potter, L Hendy, J Eckel Outs: K Hendy

Warrack
Ins: C Hinkley, J Kirby Outs: J McGrath

Min/Mur
Ins: J Burke, B Grant, D Harrison, K Delahunty, J Garth Outs: J Crabtree

Ararat
Ins:? Outs:?

Nhill
Ins: M Dalenburg, A Watson, B Zanker Outs: N Merrett

Anyone confirm
Have had a go at putting senior players ins and outs together.

Feel free to add/remove!

Horsham
Ins: S Hobbs, A Barnett, S Christopher Outs: T Blake, D Parish, S Gilbert, C Gabbe

Horsham Saints
Ins: S Clyne Outs: H Watson, C Dempster, S Lehman, J Wills

Dimboola
Ins: T Blake S Clugston Outs: O Braithwaite, C Bennett

Stawell

Warrack

Min/Mur

Ararat

Nhill

Anyone confirm M Combe, B Ward and M Rowe heading to N/Q or all staying put?

P Macfarlane & S Smith out for Dimboola also while D Skurrie in??

Horsham
Ins: S Hobbs, A Barnett, S Christopher Outs: T Blake, D Parish, S Gilbert, C Gabbe, Nick Thompson

Horsham Saints
Ins: S Clyne Outs: H Watson, C Dempster, S Lehman, J Wills, Nathan Byrne.

Dimboola
Ins: T Blake, S Clugston, S MacDonald, D Skurrie, C Ellis & A Walters. Outs: O Braithwaite, C Bennett, Shaun Smith.

Stawell

Warrack

Min/Mur

Ararat

Nhill

Horsham
Ins: S Hobbs, A Barnett, S Christopher Outs: T Blake, D Parish, S Gilbert, C Gabbe, Nick Thompson

Horsham Saints

Dimboola
Ins: T Blake, S Clugston, S MacDonald, D Skurrie, C Ellis & A Walters. Outs: O Braithwaite, C Bennett, Shaun Smith.

Stawell

Warrack

Min/Mur

Ararat

Nhill

Thanks for the update RooBoy - for those of us no longer living in the Wimmera can you give us a quick rundown of the in's for Dimmy?

I know a bit about Blake but not much on the rest.

Last edited:
Horsham
Ins: S Hobbs, A Barnett, S Christopher, Harry Young Outs: T Blake, D Parish, S Gilbert, C Gabbe, Nick Thompson

Horsham Saints

Dimboola

Stawell

Warrack

Min/Mur

Ararat

Nhill

Thanks for the update RooBoy - for those of us no longer living in the Wimmera can you give us a quick rundown of the in's for Dimmy?

I know a bit about Blake but not much on the rest.

Can only speak of what i have seen play and heard of around the wimmera.

Shaun MacDonald: only have heard good things about him, comes out the Natimuk side. apperently a hard at it mid fielder who will
fit well into the Dimboola side and replace the Clancy Bennett. good skills good brain.

Tyler blake: A young player around 20 with speed to burn! probably the fastest or most evasive player in the comp.
will create his own game through the middle or off his usual position at half back flank. massive in.

Simon Clugston: Have seen abit of his game at JR. tough at it like his brother and can take a good mark.
Strong body with good skills from memory. will be good in that has gone under the radar.

Damien Skurrie; apperently down training under trees in Dimmy! just as a big of a in as tyler blake
if all goes to plan. i beleive he is tied up with fires over the summer not being able to attend many trainings.
but still will be interesting to see how he reacts to a year off.

Cam Ellis; Dont know all to much about him. heard he was a out standing junior.
over weight at this stage but on the track every night under stuey farr.
fittness will no doubt come but if stu see's somthing in him, cant be half bad.

Aaron walters: out of Geelong footy league. has only been to 1 or 2 trainings apperently still living down in geelong.
Tall moving midfield player who creeps up forward. can never have enough fire power i suppose.

This is all what i have really heard from around the Dimmy camp!

Talks of other players but yeah. soon to be said i suppsose.

Can only speak of what i have seen play and heard of around the wimmera.

Shaun MacDonald: only have heard good things about him, comes out the Natimuk side. apperently a hard at it mid fielder who will
fit well into the Dimboola side and replace the Clancy Bennett. good skills good brain.

Tyler blake: A young player around 20 with speed to burn! probably the fastest or most evasive player in the comp.
will create his own game through the middle or off his usual position at half back flank. massive in.

Simon Clugston: Have seen abit of his game at JR. tough at it like his brother and can take a good mark.
Strong body with good skills from memory. will be good in that has gone under the radar.

Damien Skurrie; apperently down training under trees in Dimmy! just as a big of a in as tyler blake
if all goes to plan. i beleive he is tied up with fires over the summer not being able to attend many trainings.
but still will be interesting to see how he reacts to a year off.

Cam Ellis; Dont know all to much about him. heard he was a out standing junior.
over weight at this stage but on the track every night under stuey farr.
fittness will no doubt come but if stu see's somthing in him, cant be half bad.

Aaron walters: out of Geelong footy league. has only been to 1 or 2 trainings apperently still living down in geelong.
Tall moving midfield player who creeps up forward. can never have enough fire power i suppose.

This is all what i have really heard from around the Dimmy camp!

Talks of other players but yeah. soon to be said i suppsose.

Cheers mate - much appreciated.

A couple of big in's for Ararat - both from top EFL teams.

Daniel Mendes (Vermont) and Beau Cosson (Noble Park)

They should have a big impact for the rats in 2014.

TOP 12 Players in the league Today;

1. Ash Clugston
2. Nick Pekin
3. Lachie exell
4. Clayton Hinkley?
5. Tyler Blake
6. Pete Weir
7. Phill Butsch
8. J. Delahunty
9. Jordy. Burke
10. John Wood
11. Ben Harrison
12. J. Rentsch

Look guys its not in a real order. just threw out some big names that had a good year
and are known guns.

just did it to get the ball rolling.

TOP 12 Players in the league Today;

1. Ash Clugston
2. Nick Pekin
3. Lachie exell
4. Clayton Hinkley?
5. Tyler Blake
6. Pete Weir
7. Phill Butsch
8. J. Delahunty
9. Jordy. Burke
10. John Wood
11. Ben Harrison
12. J. Rentsch

Look guys its not in a real order. just threw out some big names that had a good year
and are known guns.

just did it to get the ball rolling.

Although the top 3 are definetly my top 3

Although the top 3 are definetly my top 3

IMO the two best players in the comp are Peter Weir and John Delahunty. Both can turn the game better than anyone.

Agree with everyone else in your list except I prob wouldn't have Blake in there as I think he turns it over a lot - still a quality player though.

Dave Morris from Stawell and Jake Robinson from Ararat are two future stars of the comp

IMO the two best players in the comp are Peter Weir and John Delahunty. Both can turn the game better than anyone.

Agree with everyone else in your list except I prob wouldn't have Blake in there as I think he turns it over a lot - still a quality player though.

Dave Morris from Stawell and Jake Robinson from Ararat are two future stars of the comp

Ash Clugston is the best player in the comp IMO aswell!

Im not sure how you can rate Pete Weir as a game turner over clugston.
Probably Weirs best game i have ever seen was in finals against saints down at dimboola. he really turned it on and looked unstopable! Taking hangers from every direction.

But Clugston is a freak. my eyes were opened to just how good he was when he booted 7 goals from the middle against Minyup-M with some freakish acts.
The man is the best in the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting for 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back