Recruiting Targets Summary

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait for it.........

SEN are reporting that Ryder is set to sign with the Swans.

Eddie is about to go nuts if it happens.

253020-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Seriously **** Sydney, how can Goodes, Malceski & O'keefe free up enough cash to bring in a gun recruit like Ryder? I hope we get over Hawthorn & smash those cap cheating pricks in the grand final.

Well back to square one looks like we'll have to settle for a Lowden/Gorringe unproven type & hope they can develop to AFL standard ugh disappointing.

I was glad to read Travis Boak's endorsement of Ryder to Port. Getting him could be Peter Rohde's parting gift for us.

I'll be interested to see what Essendon want for him. Remember that they are under draft sanctions so might be more interested in picks then players given what's happened to the Crows list after missing 2 rounds for 2 years.

Forgot about their draft sanctions! Essendon are stripped of R1 and R2 picks but have been allowed an end of R1 pick. That adds to the confusion a bit!

Geez if Ryder goes to Sydney....

The Swans board is going right off about the Ryder issue - not that it has happened but just the stuff about SEN mentioning it and hence the discussion about it.

If he can't get a game for GWS, do you think he'd move here and play second fiddle to Lobbe, or even third to Redden. I don't think so.

Sure he would. A chance for a couple of games a year at the Portress is a whole different ball-game then a couple of games a year at a near-empty Sydney Showgrounds.

We are Port Adelaide.

Sure, O'Keefe and Goodes are likely to come off the cap, but most of their cap space is in the veterans allowance anyway. Don't know how their base salary would affect the cap in such a way that they could fit Ryder. The AFL would literally go into meltdown if the Swans signed Ryder. I think Eddie would blow a fuse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Realistically would he come back home to the club that delisted him? Sure it was way different back when just I haven't heard of a player being delisted by their own club then choosing to come back to it, there may have been cases I just haven't heard of one. Further in the article it states he would play anywhere just if he gets opportunity. How Port Adelaide football club right now stands on field our ruck options: Lobbe is first ruck and will be next year, I don't care what anybody else says Redden will only play the back half of 2015 if he is lucky, renouf is likely to be delisted. So Giles needs to analyse this and see that he is most likely to only play the first half of next year unless he performs above standard and cements his spot.

People throwing in the towel on Ryder just because the COLA's have reportedly stuck their noses in? Come on! **** Sydney. We can still get him regardless.
I'd like to be optimistic but they've got more to work with for a trade they could give up Mitchell or Reid without losing much & why wouldn't he want to go to Sydney when they've got Franklin, out of the 'fish bowl' environment & currently set up for multiple flags in the next few years?

I can't wait until we're the club for these type of player movements because as it stands the 'equality' of the comp revolves around Sydney, what makes it worse is they'll pick up a top 5 draftee with pick 17-19.

The Swans becoming a powerhouse is largely GWS' fault if they didn't pay Ablett-esque cash for a spud like Scully Buddy would be getting 2mil+ a year wasting his talents for a young club instead of Sydney & they wouldn't be the ideal player destination they are now.

Good on them for doing what any other club would & luring top talent but the AFL is going to be boring as hell watching them in the GF every year whilst clubs that develop their own talent largely make up numbers in the 2-4 spots, hopefully for the good of the competition we can buck that trend.

Last edited:
I thought Giles was linked to the Cows. It is the type of deal that would be done in the background and then announced, but to go public means that he may have been overlooked, including by us, or struggling to get what he wants. I would say he is on good coin (I think there was arm twisting regards his contract at the time) and maybe clubs are not willing to pay what he is getting on his current contract. Interesting development.

God I ****ing hate the COLAs. Not only are they treating this competition like the EPL, but they're doing it by taking advantage of a concession which they are the only club to receive. It's sickening. AFL sponsored cheating. I can only hope that Ryder has too much class to go there, but if he wants to go to a non-football state then we can't deny that the Swans have the advantage. Not to mention trade bait like Reid and Mitchell which they can throw around without even negatively affecting their best 22.

If we can't get Ryder, Giles is our next best bet IMO. Like Ryder (although not to the same extent obviously), he's capable of playing #1 ruck but he's also capable of being a goal-a-game tall forward. And that was at GWS, so he'd have the potential to improve those numbers even further at a decent side. Importantly, he's also AFL proven, unlike Gorringe.

Haha I actually had a dream about this last night! Can't do anything but laugh...

Sydney would probably be the box seat purely for the fact that they could have something Essendon want... They have Mitchell who is a gun midfielder who appears to be excess to their current needs. Fantastic depth that would be a walk up midfielder in just about any other team. They've got Reid as well who wouldn't be too sorely missed considering they have Franklin and Tippett as the twin towers. Reid, for all his little output, still has high value for that magical thing called 'potential'. These are 2 players that Sydney could lose without feeling too much pain and who Essendon would be happy to get with a potential draft pick to sweeten the deal.

Their weening off COLA aside, if Malceski signs with Melbourne and with ROK leaving it's not like they don't have some cash being freed up, unfortunately.
We have had a far bigger list turnover than Sydney the past 5 years and only pay the minimum cap anyway so I guess we can expect to add Cameron, Hawkins and Nic Nat to the list in the coming years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting Targets Summary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back