Recruiting Targets Summary

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitchell can be the professional celebrater for when someone kicks a goal, always first straight to the player for a double hi-five...everytime.

I agree and Kane's performance in the 3km time trial is impressive however endurance was never going to be the area he was found out. Pace of the game will eventually catch up with him but I expect he will play for the next two years.

He is really entering his peak years now for endurance running. All those kms in his legs give him a great base and i have no doubt he set himself from the end of last season to really make a statement to the team at the first run for the year (ie. I'm the oldest guy here and I'm totally committed to us going the next step this year). I don't see anyone beating him in this run until he retires.
Can pace catch up to you if you never really had it to begin with??

Yeah but of our three best taggers at AFL level, Josh Carr, Dom Cassisi and Kane Cornes, who was a dominating back pocket at sanfl level? They were mids recognised by their coach/es as having the athletic capacity, strength of purpose - and in Josh's case the outright nastiness - and discipline to be able to dominate opponents.

If Russell gets a full pre-season into him and shows the endurance traits needed then get him into tagging roles in the Magpies and see how he goes.
I very much like this shout, played with 'that' chip on his shoulder also

This may be a dumb question..

But, how are the Maggies now supposed to recruit players now that the SANFL have tightened recruitment rules for 2015?

My understanding is - we can only recruit players under the age of 23, we aren't allowed to recruit interstate players & now that we don't have any zones, where are we supposed to recruit from??

Just read an article about the WAFL not changing their rules for their reserves teams, like the SANFL.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...changes-for-2015/story-fniv6150-1227147068653

I feel the Maggies Reserves issue is slipping under the radar a bit with the AO review..

As I understand it, the Port Adelaide Elite Academy will develop the young under-23 talent, and the Maggies will pick from the cream of these as their top-up players.

So basically the club can recruit Academy players from anywhere in SA, but the Maggies can only select players from the Academy?

Im assuming we can't bring in Academy players from other states.. or countries for that mater?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So basically the club can recruit Academy players from anywhere in SA, but the Maggies can only select players from the Academy?

Im assuming we can't bring in Academy players from other states.. or countries for that mater?

Yeah basically that is it.

IIRC we have an under 18 team in the amatures this year, this team can recruit from anywhere as it is not part of the sanfl. The players from this team can naturally progress through to the sanfl reserves as they are not coming from another sanfl club or interstate.

Anyone who knows the rules can correct me.

As I understand it, the Port Adelaide Elite Academy will develop the young under-23 talent, and the Maggies will pick from the cream of these as their top-up players.

are these under 23's from the old port zones, or do the crows and port battle it out for the best young players to come play with them? what is the reaction from the other sanfl clubs? dont they get paid royalties if a player from their club gets drafted? has there been a shift of the best youngsters out of the sanfl clubs and into the academies? do the crows have this academy team too?

Yeah basically that is it.

IIRC we have an under 18 team in the amatures this year, this team can recruit from anywhere as it is not part of the sanfl. The players from this team can naturally progress through to the sanfl reserves as they are not coming from another sanfl club or interstate.

Anyone who knows the rules can correct me.

Hell, I hope so, but have not heard a dicky-bird about it TBH.
Been a pet wish of mine for 12 months now.

Not sure if it's already been discussed here or not, but James Aish is holding off contract talks at the moment.

I don't really know too much about him or the type of player he is. But I do remember how highly he was rated. If the club went hard for him, where would he fit in and who would he replace in the 22?

With Ryder coming in, Shaw is one player that may look back home for opportunities. If he has a big breakout year then he would likely demand a late first round pick of the elk that freo will likely hold. Could well be used to lure Aish away from Brisbane? With steak knives naturally.

Not sure if it's already been discussed here or not, but James Aish is holding off contract talks at the moment.

I don't really know too much about him or the type of player he is. But I do remember how highly he was rated. If the club went hard for him, where would he fit in and who would he replace in the 22?

With Ryder coming in, Shaw is one player that may look back home for opportunities. If he has a big breakout year then he would likely demand a late first round pick of the elk that freo will likely hold. Could well be used to lure Aish away from Brisbane? With steak knives naturally.
I would FAR prefer Redden from Brisbane. I think he is out of contract at the seasons end, wouldn't hurt to get into his ear, if things with Beams and Chorstiansen do not transition smoothly, he may want to head back home.

If Shaw has a big breakout year why would you trade him?
I would so love that! I suppose if he does, the suitors will come running. And if he doesnt have a regular place in the 22, then he might want to accept an offer, leaving us no alternative!

The positives for him are that Schulz is obviously nearing the end of his career, and that barring a Butcher jumping out and taking that position, it is really his for the grabbing - if he is good enough! The questions will be; How settled is he? How close is he to the rest of the boys? Has he bought into the Port story like the rest of the boys have? AND, how much do we want to keep him, and are willing to offer him?

I would so love that! I suppose if he does, the suitors will come running. And if he doesnt have a regular place in the 22, then he might want to accept an offer, leaving us no alternative!

The positives for him are that Schulz is obviously nearing the end of his career, and that barring a Butcher jumping out and taking that position, it is really his for the grabbing - if he is good enough! The questions will be; How settled is he? How close is he to the rest of the boys? Has he bought into the Port story like the rest of the boys have? AND, how much do we want to keep him, and are willing to offer him?

You beat me to it. I have the walking to work on mobile shortened version :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting Targets Summary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back