Entertainment & Music Red Dwarf

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I know it's laddish and predictable, but it has had some great moments along the way. Apparently the season 10 reboot starts on ABC tomorrow night. Anyone else a fan?

Loved that show, but it jumped the shark seriously badly in season 8. Haven't watched anything after that.

Loved Red Dwarf, but the last 2 seasons were pretty meh. Still anticipating the new series though.

The new episode tonight was fairly good I must say. Much less of the same old tired jokes used in series 7-8. :thumbsu:

Yeah the first three series are just fantastic. Next three were patchy but still had some great stuff. Once they introduced Kryten the humour started to get a bit cruder but it was still great watching.

IMO it went downhill pretty quickly with Season 7 - the format changed quite a bit (I think there were some production/writing staff changes or something) and that's when the laddish/predictable humour really took over. I also never really got on board with the idea of Kochanski as a regular character, and eventually stopped watching.

I've toyed with going back and catching up with the 4 most recent series, but I don't think I can bear to see fat Dave and balding Rimmer. I want to save the memories.

Series 7 started strongly, for one episode. The JFK ep was probably the last of the classics.
The rest of series 7 and the whole of series 8 were weak, Ful time Kochanski, and nothing like the original, and then being on a fully crewed Red Dwarf failed. They had their moments, but it just dodn't feel like Dwarf.
Back to Earth was genuinely horrible, but X got back to being good again surprisingly. Not Inquisitor good, but still good.
I didn't think it would work with the actors visibly middle aged, but it seemed to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rimmer: I used to be in the Samaritans.

Lister: I know. For one morning.

Rimmer: I couldn’t take it any more.

Lister: I don’t blame you. You spoke to five people and they all committed suicide. I wouldn’t mind, but one was a wrong number. He only phoned up for the cricket scores.

Rimmer: Well, it’s hardly my fault everyone chose that day to jump off buildings. It made the papers, you know. Lemming Sunday they called it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Entertainment & Music Red Dwarf

Remove this Banner Ad

Back