Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

took the top 12 CFC names per goals scored (2024) and adjusted for games played and respective average ToG %

in this world of adjusted GLS (goals scored) per Minutes Played, Reefer is well & truly ahead running at a goal every 37 mins played

net net, Reef is by far our most effective / potent attacking weapon in spite of the yo'yo selection strategy and in spite of having the nicest hair at the AIA

RankNameGamesGoalsAvg ToG%Mins p/ToGGoals p/mins
1Reef McInnes9130.5448637
2Brody Mihocek11190.8694650
3Jamie Elliott11180.8391351
4Bobby Hill19250.79150160
5Lachlan Schultz16210.82131262
6Harvey Harrison12110.6679272
7Will Hoskin-Elliott16130.79126497
8Patrick Lipinski19150.821558104
9Nick Daicos19150.851615108
10Jordan De Goey1280.841008126
11Jack Crisp19110.771463133
12Beau McCreery1370.73949136

Thanks for this

I honestly don't understand our development path for him

We appear to be doing him absolutely no favours and if anything, seem to be stunting him.

We need to first decide what position we'd ultimately like him to play and then once that's settled, actually develop him properly in the role and give him some consistency in selection to find his feet.

The current spotty and inconsistent selection plan we have for him can't be helping him at all

1 game in, then dropped
1 game as sub, then dropped
1 full game then 1 game as sub then dropped
Then maybe 2 games then dropped

Like, where's the consistency? Not just in his own performances, but allowing him to jell with his teammates and develop chemistry with them?

Thanks for this

We appear to be doing him absolutely no favours and if anything, seem to be stunting him.

We need to first decide what position we'd ultimately like him to play and then once that's settled, actually develop him properly in the role and give him some consistency in selection to find his feet.

The current spotty and inconsistent selection plan we have for him can't be helping him at all

1 game in, then dropped

Like, where's the consistency? Not just in his own performances, but allowing him to jell with his teammates and develop chemistry with them?

should have been playing the rest of the year as a forward with 5min spurts in the midfield in the seniors
his confidence would have taken a huge whack seeing himself as the patsy for the sides up and down performances
he could have potentially had a break out game against a poor Richmond side, instead he is playing back pocket at 10am in the reserves

been treated poorly selection wise

took the top 12 CFC names per goals scored (2024) and adjusted for games played and respective average ToG %

in this world of adjusted GLS (goals scored) per Minutes Played, Reefer is well & truly ahead running at a goal every 37 mins played

net net, Reef is by far our most effective / potent attacking weapon in spite of the yo'yo selection strategy and in spite of having the nicest hair at the AIA

He's gone at 13 possessions and 0.57 goals a game in the VFL this year. He's been lucky to get any AFL game time.

You need a few extra columns - maybe a discount factor for cheap goals at the end of the game after coming on fresh, another discount for the times Reef couldn't make a contest because he was completely blown(not in the good way) after only a few efforts?

You need a few extra columns - maybe a discount factor for cheap goals at the end of the game after coming on fresh, another discount for the times Reef couldn't make a contest because he was completely blown(not in the good way) after only a few efforts?
Was going to post something along these lines. Your wording much better than what I can do.
Reef has no tank. Our coaches know exactly what's going on with every player.
Hence he is getting FA games.

Andy Otten talks about his move down back, and how with his attributes, they liked the combination of the talls down there

I'm just impressed that McCreery is going at 136 goals/min. We'll shit it in if he returns.

Was going to post something along these lines. Your wording much better than what I can do.
Reef has no tank. Our coaches know exactly what's going on with every player.
Hence he is getting FA games.
Other column probably - "DNA attributed tank factor, discounted for school attended and place in draft"

Why on earth would the club be trying to stunt his development? I’m sorry, but this is ludicrous. If they didn’t want him, they would delist or trade.

Rather, they keep trying with Reef - a lot and often - and it’s not working out. Or it hasn’t worked out to date.

They know more about his skills, fitness and capability than we’ll ever know. Again, to suggest some sort of deliberate curtailment of his career is ridiculous.

Why on earth would the club be trying to stunt his development? I’m sorry, but this is ludicrous. If they didn’t want him, they would delist or trade.

Rather, they keep trying with Reef - a lot and often - and it’s not working out. Or it hasn’t worked out to date.

They know more about his skills, fitness and capability than we’ll ever know. Again, to suggest some sort of deliberate curtailment of his career is ridiculous.

Bad-ass!

Proud Of You Yes GIF

Uh…where did I suggest it was intentional?

Reckon you may have misunderstood my post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Uh…where did I suggest it was intentional?

Reckon you may have misunderstood my post

Your post said ‘seem to be stunting him’. That’s what I read as intentional. If you didn’t mean that, it could have been clearer, maybe ‘inadvertently stunting him’.

But at any rate the posts on Reef generally get me worked up - more than most players (now that I’m over Ginni…)

It’s probably because I’m disappointed he hasn’t come on, as I was bullish about him for his first couple of years.

Lol his teams bottom of the ladder, not sure if you ever played forward to struggling midfield but it's no picnic.
Benny Crocker is a more effective VFL forward. So is Glover when he plays forward. Reef has some talent, there are flashes, but what AFL role?

suffered from the same affliction as a junior ..was thrown back, forward & on-ball at the Chargers, as the game dictated.

^^^^^^^^^^
Reef McInnes is a big-bodied inside midfielder who is tied to Collingwood through the Next Generation Academy and one that Pies fans have been talking about for 12 months. Whilst he will naturally progress through to become that inside midfielder - he has all the traits to do so - McInnes spent the majority of his bottom-age year as either a marking forward or rebounding defender, showing off his versatility. It is no surprise he could slot into just about any role and is one that is tipped to cost the Pies a top 30 pick.

Your post said ‘seem to be stunting him’. That’s what I read as intentional. If you didn’t mean that, it could have been clearer, maybe ‘inadvertently stunting him’.

But at any rate the posts on Reef generally get me worked up - more than most players (now that I’m over Ginni…)

It’s probably because I’m disappointed he hasn’t come on, as I was bullish about him for his first couple of years.

Not gonna lie, it’s still an odd way to interpret my post

Especially given the context within I was talking about the inconsistency of role and selection isn’t doing him any favours.

“If anything, it’s stunting him”

Kinda thing

Like, what we are doing isn’t helping him. It’s probably hurting him.

I don’t think we’re doing it intentionally but it is what we seem to be doing

Thanks for this

1 game in, then dropped

totally agree ..ridiculous treatment of reef

Benny Crocker is a more effective VFL forward. So is Glover when he plays forward. Reef has some talent, there are flashes, but what AFL role?

Imo he's not a KPF and is more a flanker.

Would also be interested in his mid capability given that's what he was drafted for.
Looked OK in those training clips has pace so defender could be an option. Does he read it well enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back