Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Very different to the way he’s spoken about Finn - which is why no one has challenged this point, apart from yourself.

Sorry that you’ve missed the obvious difference.
Pendles has a broken rib. The old fella used to play through such things, but I suspect those days are gone. Finn may get another chance against Port if he plays well enough in the VFL to stay ahead of the other blokes pushing for a game.

Henry's scored 78 goals (51 games) at 1.53 p/game
Henry scored 13 goals (in first 14 games) at 0.93 p/game

Reef's scored 11 goals (in first 14 games) at 0.79 p/game and is trending nicely
Henry is miles ahead of Reef at this stage, Henry will be a star, as much as I hate to say this.
Reef will be a good player but you can just see he needs a run of games to get used to senior footy.
I hope we keep him in and give the lad that opportunity.

Reef must stay in the 22, he has all the attributes of becoming a solid AFL mid/forward.

If the scumpires paid his clear mark in the goal square, which would have halted all Hawthorn momentum and given us back a handy 4/5 goal buffer, his game would have been a huge tick.

At the moment this forward line is performing without a genuine key, that's what we got McStay for and w/o McStay, we aren't winning the 2023 flag. So at the moment, this kid is doing pretty damn well imo considering he is getting their second best back.

Not really - it just makes Fly's decision difficult to understand given his public endorsement of the kid.
I would have thought that was self evident.
It’s really not that difficult 😂

Thanks. Yeah I don’t think you could call that tunneling, but certainly a block in a marking contest that didn’t occur within 5m of the ball.

I agree, not really tunnelling but he didn't want Reef jumping for the ball.

I’m harping on, but Sicily had no other intention and he’s very lucky there wasn’t a serious injury.

Thanks for the full replay. Too lazy to look and link it earlier.
Sicily didn't really have eyes on the ball, he was more worried about Reef, he did come down funny, wasn't really illegal what Sicily did, but it was a sh!t thing though.

I'm happy to keep Reef in the forward line, we aren't really desperate for mids (yet), even if he does play majority forward for his career, he can always build up his tank, if he doesn't break into the midfield it'll enable him to get further up the ground and move around more.

But, i'm rapt for the kid, he's worked hard and he looks good in our fwd50, moves up the ground and impacts there. I would love to see him play with McStay later this year.

Go get 'em Reef.

I heard that it's early in the season..
Under 5 games even!
Reef and Finn, and eeeevryone else out of form,
Is capable, neigh (bad horse) of improvement.

There.
I said it!

I had the privilege a couple years ago of sitting in the VFL coaches box.
One player (who I won’t name) wasn’t running the patterns desired. The coaches were very frustrated with him; “he’s always in the wrong position for the mode of play”.
The implication was that was why he wasn’t getting senior team opportunities.

I reckon Finn may have been seen as not playing his prescribed role. They would have told him what’s expected. And had instructions before game, 1/4 time and on the bench or via runner.
He likely was not fulfilling his role and got subbed.
And it correctly contributed to attempting to win the game.

Was this an anomaly?
Or is he just struggling with AFL rigour.
He’ll need prove that in the vfl.

Reef is a see ball get ball player.
He is the type that could go into the centre bounce a couple times to help out.
Just like Jordy did when we needed a spark.
Fly, I’d put Jordy forward and then swap them back in those instances 😉

One player (who I won’t name) wasn’t running the patterns desired. The coaches were very frustrated with him; “he’s always in the wrong position for the mode of play”.

I reckon Finn may have been seen as not playing his prescribed role. They would have told him what’s expected. And had instructions before game, 1/4 time and on the bench or via runner.

Was this an anomaly?
It goes to show that we really don't know what's going on behind the scenes. We make assumptions based on what we see but we don't really know what we see. Game plan and your role is now more important than a persons pure ability. It's also a good reason for people to have their say on these types of forums without being ridiculed by others who think they know it all.

Poulter? Kick chaser.

Last year in the VFL guys like Jarred Lyon from the Lions showed him up in the VFL. He needs to show that he can match it with the good fringe of the AFL mids at the very minimum before we even talk about selecting him ahead of the likes of Tom Mitchell and Scott Pendlebury - or whoever you think should be pushed out of the midfield for Finn. He's got two more years to show he's up to it, but unfortunately he hasn't done so yet.

People keep referencing Lyons game but in the context of us getting flogged and Forte giving the Lions mids silver service, Macrae still had a 28 disposal (4th highest on the ground), 6 tackles (highest for the game), 4 clearances game and was our best performer in the game. That’s still a very good game.

People keep referencing Lyons game but in the context of us getting flogged and Forte giving the Lions mids silver service, Macrae still had a 28 disposal (4th highest on the ground), 6 tackles (highest for the game), 4 clearances game and was our best performer in the game. That’s still a very good game.
It was a solid game. Two opposing mids had 10 clearances and 40 possessions each though. They outplayed him. I thought a similar thing happened when he lined up against other fringe players that had played some good AFL.

I thought he was at a solid mid playing at the level in the VFL last year, rather than someone kicking the door down by playing well above the level, like it was sometimes portrayed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not true. Degoey had always shown a lot in the midfield. Some of his early good games were as a mid. At VFL he was a good mid.

With Degoey what was said was that he was a better forward - and at the time he probably was - plus endurance meant that he couldn't do a full game in the midfield.

McInness however hasn't shown he can play mid well at VFL level - let alone in the AFL. He's looking like he has a future as a forward though.

Disagree on McInnes in the midfield at VFL level. He’s shown he can win clearances and power away from stoppages. Just doesn’t get a lot of rotations. His future midfield opportunities though may be dependent upon building the tank. I’d like to see him given an occasional midfield rotation at senior level. Caveat being it’ll cost in terms of his forward availability due to longer time on the bench but there’ll be games where that’s not as big an issue.

Disagree on McInnes in the midfield at VFL level. He’s shown he can win clearances and power away from stoppages. Just doesn’t get a lot of rotations. His future midfield opportunities though may be dependent upon building the tank. I’d like to see him given an occasional midfield rotation at senior level. Caveat being it’ll cost in terms of his forward availability due to longer time on the bench but there’ll be games where that’s not as big an issue.
You'd begin it at training and if he performs well enough begin trying it in a game. McCreery sounds like he's ahead in that queue though. Elliott also from time to time. Probably Schultz too.

But it's all irrelevant at the moment. They'll be trying to get him to consolidate and entrench himself in the role that he's currently playing before looking to add other AFL roles to his reportoire.

Last edited:

Was this an anomaly?
Did that certain players name rhyme with Wally? Come on you can tell us. You’d be talking 2022 because if memory serves there was talk about Chugg getting his chance because he was very diligent in actioning his role (problem being he just wasn’t at AFL standard as a footballer).

On a side note if Pendles doesn’t get up I’m expecting it to be Sullivan>Macrae.

Last edited:
You'd begin it at training and if he performs well enough begin trying it in a game. McCreery sounds like he's ahead in that queue though. Elliott also from time to time. Probably Schultz too.

But it's all irrelevant at the moment. They'll be trying to get him to consolidate and entrench himself in the role that he's currently playing before looking to add other AFL roles to his reportoire.

I agree they’ll be trying to get him entrenched in the 23, but not sure an occasional midfield rotation is mutually exclusive from that goal.

I agree they’ll be trying to get him entrenched in the 23, but not sure an occasional midfield rotation is mutually exclusive from that goal.
You're right. it probably helped AJ to get away from deep forward and have a 5 minute run in the ruck for us last year - it's when he played his best footy. Still think it's no chance of happening any time soon though. He'd be a fair way back in the queue for midfield minutes.

It goes to show that we really don't know what's going on behind the scenes. We make assumptions based on what we see but we don't really know what we see. Game plan and your role is now more important than a persons pure ability. It's also a good reason for people to have their say on these types of forums without being ridiculed by others who think they know it all.
I think it was last year that Carmichael did an interview where they asked him about the important goals that he'd kicked in a match the previous year.

He sheepishly said, I got lucky. I didn't really understand the game plan and was in the wrong spot.

The moral of the story is we've got no idea when it comes to selection. We're just judging based on how often they get the ball and whether they execute their skills when they are in the game. Not whether they're following instructions and helping the system to work.

Reef is making a pretty good fist of his role that sees him having to play on some premium defenders.

How long until he is considered on a par with someone like Henry? Both are 21 years old and a little bit similar.

Keeping in mind Henry has the benefit of Cameron and Hawkins in the same forward line.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Others may disagree, but I think there is no comparison as Henry showed a lot at AFL level up forward that we are just beginning to see from Reef now. Henry is going to be a top player, albeit a medium not tall forward.

Did that certain players name rhyme with Wally? Come on you can tell us. You’d be talking 2022 because if memory serves there was talk about Chugg getting his chance because he was very diligent in actioning his role (problem being he just wasn’t at AFL standard as a footballer).

On a side note if Pendles doesn’t get up I’m expecting it to be Sullivan>Macrae.
I thought it was Poulter that had the knocks on him for it.

Pendles has a broken rib. The old fella used to play through such things, but I suspect those days are gone. Finn may get another chance against Port if he plays well enough in the VFL to stay ahead of the other blokes pushing for a game.
Please let it be Sullivan!! I have a feeling about the lad. Finn just looks so vanilla at the senior level every time I watch him.

I can’t even think whose name rhymed with Wally!
So I guess that’s a no.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back