Regarding Henry

Remove this Banner Ad

No one else in our team can do what Slattery does as well as he does it. Noobs like the OP should have a think and consider why slattery is never dropped from our team despite his minimal primary involvement each week? His actual involvement in the play is small, however his stopping roles are necessary cogs in a winning team, and it is a player like Slats that will remain our team for several years to come

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why an y of the players listed are not better options as small defenders than Hank.
OK we'll go with Houli, considering he seems to be the favourite replacement.

The coaching staff are open in their reasons for dropping Bachar to the VFL: he still has old habits of 'chasing a kick'; that is, trying to get his numbers up for the sake of personal glory. Because of this, he neglects his defensive side, and will often not stay with his opponent.

That right there is a painfully obvious summary of why Bachar is nowhere near as capable as Slattery to play the small defenders role.

Yes, he played well on Milne and Nahas, but Slattery has beaten Ebert, Hooper, Betts, Campbell, Schneider etc.

The fact is, Houli has shown he cannot conistently contain his direct (small) opponent to the same level that Slattery can.

OK we'll go with Houli, considering he seems to be the favourite replacement.

The coaching staff are open in their reasons for dropping Bachar to the VFL: he still has old habits of 'chasing a kick'; that is, trying to get his numbers up for the sake of personal glory. Because of this, he neglects his defensive side, and will often not stay with his opponent.

That right there is a painfully obvious summary of why Bachar is nowhere near as capable as Slattery to play the small defenders role.

Yes, he played well on Milne and Nahas, but Slattery has beaten Ebert, Hooper, Betts, Campbell, Schneider etc.

The fact is, Houli has shown he cannot conistently contain his direct (small) opponent to the same level that Slattery can.

For a start, I'm not the one that keeps bringing up Houli, my preference is for McVeigh to play that role, but i do think we have multiple options that are better than Hank, including Houli. I understand that the coaching staff have had a bit to say about Houli's defensive side, he also makes some dumb decisions at times, but he also does some very good things and he gets plenty of the ball, all up I think he is a better option. Is there any evidence of Houli not being able to contain an apponent, further is there any evidence of Hank doing anything except (perhaps) containing an apponent, every other player mentioned is capable of being offensive as well.

Agreed. McVeigh was excellent down back, it was down back that he first announced himself as a genuinely good AFL player. He is strong overhead, makes good decisions (was a good onfield leader - he needs his confidence back), is a great kick and has enough pace.

The midfield can now cover the move of McVeigh back and I would love to see it happen. McVeigh being the old head along side Feltcher teaching the likes of Houli, Myers or Tyson Slattery is a much more enciting prospect than H Slattery being there.

Just watched the game again.

Milne goal one - Kicked after Dempsey played on to himself from a kickin, ran into trouble, handballed Prismall, Prismall tackled by Milne and Milne kicked the goal. Slattery at the time playing on Schnieder.

Milne goal two - Prismall turns the ball over to his opponent Ball. Slattery required to leave his man (Milne) to run at Ball who would have otherwise kicked at an open goal. Ball handballs over the top to Milne who kicks a goal.

Milne goal three - Slattery right with Milne and would have tackled him the moment he took possession of the ball had it not been for a Schnieder bump.

Given Slattery was not directly responsible for allowing Milne to kick any of his three goals and the only time he was beaten in a contest by Milne, Slattery was out numbers 2-1, added to the fact that Slattery directly contributed to stopping several St Kilda forward movements, I'm not sure why we are even having this discussion.

Slattery was named in the best on our own website and all three commentators (Hird, Taylor, Healy) made mention at different times throughout the match how Slattery was one of the better players on the ground.

Milne goal one - Kicked after Dempsey played on to himself from a kickin, ran into trouble, handballed Prismall, Prismall tackled by Milne and Milne kicked the goal. Slattery at the time playing on Schnieder.

Milne goal two - Prismall turns the ball over to his opponent Ball. Slattery required to leave his man (Milne) to run at Ball who would have otherwise kicked at an open goal. Ball handballs over the top to Milne who kicks a goal.

Milne goal three - Slattery right with Milne and would have tackled him the moment he took possession of the ball had it not been for a Schnieder bump.

Given Slattery was not directly responsible for allowing Milne to kick any of his three goals and the only time he was beaten in a contest by Milne, Slattery was out numbers 2-1, added to the fact that Slattery directly contributed to stopping several St Kilda forward movements, I'm not sure why we are even having this discussion.

Slattery was named in the best on our own website and all three commentators (Hird, Taylor, Healy) made mention at different times throughout the match how Slattery was one of the better players on the ground.

Check mate.

Thats is not the case at all. He cannot play football, he is a negator. When I used the term 'play' I am talking about having an (for lack of a better word) attacking game.

Simon Prestigiacomo cannot "play" football.
Darren Glass cannot "play" football.
Mal Michael could not "play" football.

Three of the greatest defenders of the modern era, with 4 premierships between them, yet they couldn't "play" football.

Incidentally, given your definition of "playing" football here, your Stanton bashing is now redundant, because "playing" football only involves going forward.

Great point. We're just lucky that the people choosing our team know more about football than these negative posters.

The fact is that Slattery is critical to our defensive structure and when available is an automatic selection.

I wouldn't have a problem with McVeigh moving back.

As for Houli/Slattery, I'd much rather have a guy who stops his opponent; chops off the delivery to the key forwards; contributes countless 1%ers and generally helps out other defenders, than a guy who may or may not decide to stay on his opponent, but will rack up 20+ cheap possessions along the way.

This thread is doing my head in, but I guess it's not a bad problem to have.

I wouldn't have a problem with McVeigh moving back.

As for Houli/Slattery, I'd much rather have a guy who stops his opponent; chops off the delivery to the key forwards; contributes countless 1%ers and generally helps out other defenders, than a guy who may or may not decide to stay on his opponent, but will rack up 20+ cheap possessions along the way.

This thread is doing my head in, but I guess it's not a bad problem to have.

The problem is that Hank rarely chops off delivery to key forwards, one of the reasons for his extremely low possession count. He doesn't read the play very well. I'm happy for Houli not to play there, although i think he has done a good job in the BP when he has played there, the point is we have a lot of other options as well.

I wish I was wrong about poor old Hank, but I have seen him play live numerous times this year and last. He has certainly improved and is not the total embarrasment he has been in the past, but he is mediocre at best with very little visible scope to rise above this level. Mediocrity, despite his great attitude and endeavour, is just not good enough.

The other reason for my insistance on this thread is that it irritates me that players like Hocking and NLM are continually bagged when they frequently play very well, but Hank seems to get away with relatively little criticism despite numerous very poor games. Certainly nothing like what Dyson (who i have always liked) endured until ANZAC Day.

The other reason for my insistance on this thread is that it irritates me that players like Hocking and NLM are continually bagged when they frequently play very well, but Hank seems to get away with relatively little criticism despite numerous very poor games. Certainly nothing like what Dyson (who i have always liked) endured until ANZAC Day.
See I think he cops more criticism than he deserves. It's definitely not as bad as in previous years, but it seems every second poster on the Essendon board wants him an 'out' each week, even if he did keep Le Cras to one goal.

I agree that Hocking has hardly put a put wrong this year though, and seems to be underrated by many on this board.

The problem is that Hank rarely chops off delivery to key forwards, one of the reasons for his extremely low possession count.

Stop looking at the stats.

If he chops off a lead, makes a spoil or creates a 2 on 1 in a marking contest, he doesn't get a stat for that.

Mediocrity, despite his great attitude and endeavour, is just not good enough.

In 2000 we didn't have that many superstars, but we had 22 blokes that did their job every week.

Slattery does his job every week, he beats his opponent most weeks. That's not mediocrity, that's consistently performing to the level that is required of you.

If he chops off a lead, makes a spoil or creates a 2 on 1 in a marking contest, he doesn't get a stat for that.

In 2000 we didn't have that many superstars, but we had 22 blokes that did their job every week.

Slattery does his job every week, he beats his opponent most weeks. That's not mediocrity, that's consistently performing to the level that is required of you.
Well said. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As accurate as this post is, I'm afraid the guys suffering stats abuse still won't realise why he is valuable.

Well said though.

He makes one mistake a week that stands out and we end up with threads like this.

He was brilliant last night, let's not forget that he doesn't just get the oppositions most dangerous small each week but he's expected to chop off leads from power forwards.

Week after week he puts himself in a position to get smashed and keeps going back for more. A couple of his marks last night set the agenda for the night.

Yep, he makes mistakes. So does Fletcher, so does Watson...

Wouldn't be at all surprised if he finished 5-8 in the B&F.

Totally agree. Early on in his career i was a bit annoyed with the stupid free kicks he used to give away but he currently is doing a great job and makes less errors than most on the park.

hopefully gone bye next year.......95% of the time when he gets possession, either goes backwards or sideways by foot!!
cant penetrate the lines at all........doesnt read the play that well, gives away plenty of free kicks!!
real class small forward makes im look stupid (steve johnson)...

hopefully gone bye next year.......95% of the time when he gets possession, either goes backwards or sideways by foot!!
cant penetrate the lines at all........doesnt read the play that well, gives away plenty of free kicks!!
real class small forward makes im look stupid (steve johnson)...

You said it.

This season he has given away 14 free kicks in 20 games (0.8 per game) which is quite good considering defenders only need to breath on their opponent these days in order to give away a free.

Please explain what you mean when you say he gives away plenty of free kicks.

yeh yeh ur right (its called generalising champ).......too be studying players free kick counts over the year, you obviously have a very eventful life.........so ill let you have it......i didnt realise you were considered a good player though, if you only averaged 0.8 free kicks a game (you probz know the exact number, but kepler bradley would have been close too that yeah) how good was he aye ;-)
point is henry slattery with the ball is so useless xox

yeh yeh ur right (its called generalising champ).......too be studying players free kick counts over the year, you obviously have a very eventful life.........so ill let you have it......i didnt realise you were considered a good player though, if you only averaged 0.8 free kicks a game (you probz know the exact number, but kepler bradley would have been close too that yeah) how good was he aye ;-)

There is nothing wrong with backing an argument up with a bit of evidence. Perhaps if you had a bit of fact behind your opinion, instead of as you admitted "generalising", then you wouldn't be the one looking like a goose. Maybe next time, elaborate on some instances, which according to you are plentiful, where Slattery's foot skills have gotten us into trouble.
By generalising, (as you have done yet again with the ridiculous Bradley comparison) you just come off looking stupid, sorry, I am with SirJimi and the rest of the Slattery defenders on this one.

Kepler Bradley was drafted as a key position player so how can you compare him to Slattery. Most of Keplers problems were that he didn;t impose himself on enough contests and his decision making when he got it. I don;t think it had much to do with the free kicks he gave away.

Slattery's role is one of the most difficult to play and his effort and hardness should never be questioned. He constantly put's his head over the ball and win's alot of the hard ball. The fact that he occasionally butchers his kicks is usually the result of the huge amount of pressure he is under. As stated by others - he has improved significantly this year and at only 23 years of age I believe he will continue to do so.

He's made some critical errors in the past 2 games which some can't seem to forgive him for and I can see the frustration in a lot of posts.

Against Brisbane in a critical part of the game he dropped a relatively easy mark that should have killed the situation but he scrambled it out for a throw in.

Against the Saints in the dying stages he got caught by Montagna for the last goal but the reason he got caught was 60 seconds prior to that he had his kick smothered when he should have done better.

Those mistakes are the difference between top 4 sides and where we are currently.

He's made some critical errors in the past 2 games which some can't seem to forgive him for and I can see the frustration in a lot of posts.

Against Brisbane in a critical part of the game he dropped a relatively easy mark that should have killed the situation but he scrambled it out for a throw in.

Against the Saints in the dying stages he got caught by Montagna for the last goal but the reason he got caught was 60 seconds prior to that he had his kick smothered when he should have done better.

Those mistakes are the difference between top 4 sides and where we are currently.

I have to admit that those two mistakes are very clear in my mind. That last one, in particular, he could have kicked it towards the left back flank where there was a player well in the clear, and that would have iced the game. Instead he made a stumbling turn towards the right back flank and got caught.

Having said that, I felt that Essendon played the ball backwards in that last move far too quickly instead of kicking to each other and then let the clock wind down. The ball reached the backline far, far too fast, ............

But in the Euphoria of that nanosecond after Riewoldt's boot meeting the ball, and the subsequent roar and I don't know how many renditions of The Song, his mistakes are forgotten.

I do think he needs a lot more coaching on these little things so that they are not repeated. But they guy does play with his heart, and is important in what he is told to do, so I wouldn't get rid of him.

Game Set and Match to Longy. Well said :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Regarding Henry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back