Reinventing Identity

Remove this Banner Ad

InCase

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
I was wondering what peoples thoughts on a team changing their identity would be, it happens in America all the time, team change their colours, logo, even name very often.

For example, check out the 'new' 'Ducks' style.

North have done it recently with the dropping of the North Melbourne and then of course bringing it back. Also the bulldogs changing their 'location' to Western instead of Footscray. I can't think of any colour or mascot changes though. I guess the Eagles with adding the ochre could be a colour change, which we would rather not think about.

Now obviously teams that are raking in the money have no need to change their name, colours or anything. But what about those struggling clubs, try to reinvent themselves to bring in a new generation of fans. It has certainly worked for teams in the United States.

It wouldn't work for struggling Melbourne clubs; it's a different situation than the States where most sports are predominantly one-team towns, so changing the logo might be a way to galvanise support in that city.

The only thing North Melbourne becoming the North Melbourne Ducks (for example) would do would be piss off half their fanbase.

This isn't actually that new an idea. Plenty of teams 'rebranded' decades ago - Hawthron ditching the Mayblooms, Essendon ditching the Same Olds. Even North only adopted the Kangaroos in the 40s/50s if memory serves.

Currently, I reckon that the Gold Coast branding will need to be spot on and Marlins and Ironmen etc just doesnt cut it.

This isn't actually that new an idea. Plenty of teams 'rebranded' decades ago - Hawthron ditching the Mayblooms, Essendon ditching the Same Olds. Even North only adopted the Kangaroos in the 40s/50s if memory serves.

Currently, I reckon that the Gold Coast branding will need to be spot on and Marlins and Ironmen etc just doesnt cut it.

Teams have done it successfully in the past but it may be a bit harder today. I know that a lot of North fans were not happy with the club avoiding the 'North Melbourne' name. Also, the MFC are trying to stear away from the Demons name these days. Maybe there is a change in the wind?

Others that need changing - Fremantle DOCKERS / Port Adelaide POWER. Those would be the only 2 i would think need immediate attention!

Teams have done it successfully in the past but it may be a bit harder today. I know that a lot of North fans were not happy with the club avoiding the 'North Melbourne' name. Also, the MFC are trying to stear away from the Demons name these days. Maybe there is a change in the wind?

Others that need changing - Fremantle DOCKERS / Port Adelaide POWER
. Those would be the only 2 i would think need immediate attention!

Power yes.
Dockers? While not a widely used term, at least its relevent to the location unlike most AFL team brandings. I would be pissed if they changed it, unless they changed it to Sharks:cool:
Does sound better than Fremantle Wharfies though

Power yes.
Dockers? While not a widely used term, at least its relevent to the location unlike most AFL team brandings. I would be pissed if they changed it, unless they changed it to Sharks:cool:
Does sound better than Fremantle Wharfies though

Yeah, Dockers should stay. Although get rid of the red and green on the guernsey, maybe have red and green on the cuffs and that's it.

Port are the team that definitely need a make over.

Yeah, Dockers should stay. Although get rid of the red and green on the guernsey, maybe have red and green on the cuffs and that's it.

I agree with this, though I'm fine with the red & green staying. I don't want us to be one of those clubs that change there jumper every 2 years and go through the whole colour spectrum from blue & gold right through to ochre;)

I agree with this, though I'm fine with the red & green staying. I don't want us to be one of those clubs that change there jumper every 2 years and go through the whole colour spectrum from blue & gold right through to ochre;)

Start ugly, die ugly? :p

I thought Fremantle had actually already distanced themselves from the 'Dockers' nickname. (Removed it from new merchandise etc.) Can any Freo fans confirm or deny?

I thought Fremantle had actually already distanced themselves from the 'Dockers' nickname. (Removed it from new merchandise etc.) Can any Freo fans confirm or deny?

They aren't allowed to use it as anything other then an unofficial nickname, because of the brand called dockers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They aren't allowed to use it as anything other then an unofficial nickname, because of the brand called dockers.

So why wouldn't they just change it to the WA version of the name (Wharfies) that they should have used in the first place, if they were going to choose between the two? (btw - I would have though other better options would have been chosen besides those two)

So why wouldn't they just change it to the WA version of the name (Wharfies) that they should have used in the first place, if they were going to choose between the two? (btw - I would have though other better options would have been chosen besides those two)

Whilst it is the correct term, Wharfies does not sound as strong as Dockers IMO, its a crap name for a footy club. Its not like we are really officially called the "Dockers" anyway, its just a nickname now and is never really mentioned by the club. I would have thought most people refer to the club as Freo anyway. Re-branding the Dockers? A Non issue IMO

Whilst it is the correct term, Wharfies does not sound as strong as Dockers IMO, its a crap name for a footy club. Its not like we are really officially called the "Dockers" anyway, its just a nickname now and is never really mentioned by the club. I would have thought most people refer to the club as Freo anyway. Re-branding the Dockers? A Non issue IMO

I am pretty sure that everyone from the Eastern states refers to the club as the Dockers. Fremantle FC is NEVER used.

Rebranding the Dockers is not on the agenda but changing that pathetic song should be! If that trash ever gets played on last Saturday in September it will be a sad day in sport! To think that grown men sing "Heave Ho Freo", "way to go, hit them high, send em down below". ITS JUST SAD!

not officially called the dockers??? what planet are you from??

have a look at you avater, a docker mascot is on your club logo. doesnt your song say "we are the freo dockers"? so much for "never really mentioned by the club".

not officially called the dockers??? what planet are you from??

have a look at you avater, a docker mascot is on your club logo. doesnt your song say "we are the freo dockers"? so much for "never really mentioned by the club".
They don't play the song very often though, so esti is still spot on ;)

I was wondering what peoples thoughts on a team changing their identity would be, it happens in America all the time, team change their colours, logo, even name very often.

For example, check out the 'new' 'Ducks' style.

North have done it recently with the dropping of the North Melbourne and then of course bringing it back. Also the bulldogs changing their 'location' to Western instead of Footscray. I can't think of any colour or mascot changes though. I guess the Eagles with adding the ochre could be a colour change, which we would rather not think about.

Now obviously teams that are raking in the money have no need to change their name, colours or anything. But what about those struggling clubs, try to reinvent themselves to bring in a new generation of fans. It has certainly worked for teams in the United States.

A good example would be the subtle change to the South melbourne jumper when they became Sydney.

Apart from Hawthorn being the Mustard Pots and Geelong being the pivitonians, I bet Essendon is happy they lost the moniker "Blood Stained N1ggers" a long time ago.:eek:

A good example would be the subtle change to the South melbourne jumper when they became Sydney.

Apart from Hawthorn being the Mustard Pots and Geelong being the pivitonians, I bet Essendon is happy they lost the moniker "Blood Stained N1ggers" a long time ago.:eek:

Did you just make that up? I have never heard that quoted before anywhere!

We know about the Mayblooms, Pivotonians, Gorilla's etc from the past. Sydney still sometimes refer to themselves as the Bloods and North as the shinboners, but i have never heard of that one ever!

Cool, we'll just revert to being the Magpies wearing our black and white prison bar guernsey every week of the season. I'm sure Eddie McGuire and his new found love of and respect for the traditional strips of all teams won't mind one bit. :thumbsu:

Cool, we'll just revert to being the Magpies wearing our black and white prison bar guernsey every week of the season. I'm sure Eddie McGuire and his new found love of and respect for the traditional strips of all teams won't mind one bit. :thumbsu:

The reason I said that is due to your dismal crowd figures, being in just a two team state plus having the worst crowd figures in the AFL is a very poor stat. I don't think associating yourself even more with the PAFC in the SANFL will help at all, probably make it worse.

I don't know why you didn't just use the prison bars but change the colour of those. At least you will look good being a shit club (not talking about on field).

The reason I said that is due to your dismal crowd figures, being in just a two team state plus having the worst crowd figures in the AFL is a very poor stat. I don't think associating yourself even more with the PAFC in the SANFL will help at all, probably make it worse.

I don't know why you didn't just use the prison bars but change the colour of those. At least you will look good being a shit club (not talking about on field).

Had to LOL, but a very good idea! Black with teal prison bars would have been a great jumper!

Remove this Banner Ad

Reinventing Identity

Remove this Banner Ad

Back