Respect

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I think it's fair to say that since entering the competition Fremantle hasn't got a lot of respect within the footy community. Well today's performance should earn you a heap of respect.

I wrote this earlier in the week talking about contested finals footy.

If you're good enough to beat us at it then we take our hats off to you and wish you luck for the rest of the finals.

Unfortunately for us you did that and then some. That first quarter was some of the best, finals intensity footy I've ever seen and your team defence for the whole night was exceptional. Also Pavlich is a superstar.

Congratulations on the win and your club has well and truly earned respect. Good luck for the rest of the finals series. If you get over Adelaide I'll even don some purple and head along to give you guys support against the Hawks.

good on ya FS, appreciate the graciousness. I would agree that we havent had a lot of respect, but then again respect is earnt... and we only now have a coach who knows what he is doing, and a game plan that holds up to afl and finals standard on a regular basis.

enjoy the offseason, you will be back im sure

I think it's fair to say that since entering the competition Fremantle hasn't got a lot of respect within the footy community. Well today's performance should earn you a heap of respect.

Unfortunately for us you did that and then some. That first quarter was some of the best, finals intensity footy I've ever seen and your team defence for the whole night was exceptional. Also Pavlich is a superstar.

Congratulations on the win and your club has well and truly earned respect. Good luck for the rest of the finals series. If you get over Adelaide I'll even don some purple and head along to give you guys support against the Hawks.
Thanks for that. As a foundation member I have copped plenty over the years but seeing how they are playing under Lyon fills me with confidence and as Chris Scott summed us up during the week we are going to be scary next year.

Congrats guys. Super win and the last 10 weeks have shown that you've improved immensely under Lyon. Good luck next week - would love to see you knock over Adelaide.

I have just sent this email to channel 7. I was disgusted with the respect we got tonight. Do you guys agree ?

Dear Channel 7

I was disgusted with the coverage of the Dockers v Geelong final tonight. I have the upmost respect for Geelong, amazing team !!! But I have never heard a more 1 sided coverage of a sporting event. The commentators screamed every time the cats scored a goal and said "Don't worry Geelong will come back" every time freo scored.
Even with a matter of minutes to go, they were reading the Tweets about how Geelong could still win. I will be ordering Foxtel ASAP so I never have to go thorough that again. Commentators should be hired to give an unbiased opinion.

I have just sent this email to channel 7. I was disgusted with the respect we got tonight. Do you guys agree ?

Dear Channel 7

I was disgusted with the coverage of the Dockers v Geelong final tonight. I have the upmost respect for Geelong, amazing team !!! But I have never heard a more 1 sided coverage of a sporting event. The commentators screamed every time the cats scored a goal and said "Don't worry Geelong will come back" every time freo scored.
Even with a matter of minutes to go, they were reading the Tweets about how Geelong could still win. I will be ordering Foxtel ASAP so I never have to go thorough that again. Commentators should be hired to give an unbiased opinion.
Unfortunately Fox takes the CH7 feed for finals so they had the same commentary. Agree that it was Geelong centric but they have been the best team for many years and their job is to try and make it exciting. I just took perverse pleasure in their efforts to talk it up and despite all their talk we answered the challenge.

Dear Channel 7

I'm not sure the commentators were that biased. I was rooting for Freo but still expected Geelong to come over the top at some stage. I think that's all they were saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dear Channel 7

Haha bad news mate, when its a Channel 7 covered telecast, foxtel just share the footage, so those of us watching it on fox still had to put up with that same annoying commentary.

Yeah yeah... congrads and all that.

Landing Lyon was the absolute coup of the season. Such a well structured, organised and disciplined team now. Didn't give us an inch which was so so so frustrating, any run on was answered pretty quickly.

Gotta love the Pav also. Slight crush maybe (no homo).

This was exactly what I feared may happen, and I really hope your team takes it further.
I loved the banner, really summed up your second half of the season.
I walk away from the G tonight almost at peace; we've been beaten by a team that I would love to see go all the way, really like Ballantyne, 211, Pav, your mids, defence, McPhee played an amazing game.
We were outplayed all over the ground, no easy possessions, Hawkins was thwarted, and I get the feeling most of you are not surprised. I'm not.
I saw Freo beat Tigers, WCE, and NM, and tonight was deja-vu.
Congratulations, don't stop there.

Now, if only NM could eliminate WCE, that would make things very fascinating next week.

Great game by your lads tonight. Pav was immense, but Dawson was also great in keeping Hawkins irrelevant, Ballantyne's work-rate is something Melbourne forwards should envy, and Barlow was solid in the mid-field.

Hats off to you. All Class.

I live in Perth, and i've been to quite a few Freo games. One that sticks in my mind was the horrible, horrible thumping you got from St Kilda at Subi last year. Well, it sure was nice to see you guys on the other side of the same sort of performance. Loads of respect for Ross Lyon, but it's the players on the field that do the job, and they all stood up. Looking forward to coming to more games next year (especially now you've got Kirky as well!).

Congrats. See you in a couple of weeks?

Certainly gained a lot of respect from me..I was absolutely shocked (as I'm sure most people were) that you did it...well done, and good luck for the rest of the finals..Good to see Pav in his right position, locking it down..

I have come in here in hope of starting a new thread but found that there was one already made by a fellow-Cat member but I emphatically put my hand up and say I gave Fremantle absolutely no respect whatsoever!
It's absolutely terrible/gut wrenching to lose a final let alone one I felt so convinced about but I feel I need to post this not because others are doing so or because it makes you look like a decent person to congratulate the opposition and it's supporters but for the manor I embarrassed some of the Fremantle champions in some of my posts over the past week.

Deserving of everything that comes their way now and as much as it bloody hurts to see my boys exit, I saw a side completely destroy a team that has been held in such high regard for so long and make them look completely 2nd rate.
Congratulations Pavlich, De Boer (knew he was tough but he's a freak), Sandilands (the key to the flag), Fyfe and of course Ballantyne etc etc....the list goes on.

I accept any banter that comes my way from Freo supporters but I do take my hat off and congratulate your club and it's supporters for coming out in numbers on a cold dark night.

I will be going for Fremantle for the remainder of the year :thumbsu:

You welcome here anytime Footy Smarts saying things like this! Like a sir.

Were going to be busy the next 3 weeks so feel free to keep the respectful posts going...

can't help blame us Victorians on some occasions........we hear absolutely nothing about the interstate teams (media-wise), we all know about Pavlich and have for some time and the only reason why he hasn't been put in that higher bracket of immortals' is because of his lack of finals exposure but in all his finals so far...he's been quite brilliant and tonight was a pure master class that will add to his legacy.
Phenomenal performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Respect

Remove this Banner Ad

Back